Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do the Colts need to come out with a future No.1 WR in this draft?

chad72

No.1 WR for Colts from this draft  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Do the Colts need to come away with a future No.1 from this draft?

• Yes, the WR drafted should have a ceiling of a No.1
    • No, it would suffice if the WR drafted has a ceiling of a No.2

I am thinking the Colts do not need to come out with a future No.1 WR in this particular draft. They can wait till the next draft for that.

We could however get a good No.2 or No.3 potential from the draft for a ceiling.

thoughts???

Im not disagreeing with you, but just curious what wrs will be in next years draft who are better than this years that you know of? I dont watch college ball and I really dont know any players. I would say not to take a wr this draft just because we have more serious needs I feel that are needed to be filled. so Thats my only reason

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am thinking the Colts do not need to come out with a future No.1 WR in this particular draft. They can wait till the next draft for that.

We could however get a good No.2 or No.3 potential from the draft for a ceiling.

thoughts???

I'm thinking the game is moving beyond just wideouts and more in the short game so how about getting a tight end to dump to?

I think we need a new WR no doubt, but we'll have an early pick next year, which we can use on Reggie's replacement. Let's be fair, I like Collie and Avery could be good, but it's not the best set of weapons in the the world.

I agree Dan....and we may even be able to get a top notch FA next year since we will have plenty of cap room!!! I still think we get a receiver in 2 or 3. Fleenor as a TE is looking to not be there at 34...Teams know how potent Luck is going to be.

Collie is very good (and injury free last year) Wayne was brought back to be the #1 receiver so the Colts still have a couple drafts barring injury to replace him.

And good luck finding a #1 receiver in later rounds. Happens but its rare. Colts need a TE and thats the weakest position in the 2012 draft. Fleener would be a great pickup but Harbaugh will take him.

I agree. Caldwell knows we want Fleenor. He was let go as a coach way too late. Tom Moore said it best "Take Luck and don't look back." We need some weapons, but we may go CB with 34 and come back with a TE later. Feeling the Best Available in each round as players rise and fall according to our many needs. Edited by BrentMc11

I'm thinking the game is moving beyond just wideouts and more in the short game so how about getting a tight end to dump to?

Good point on the TE subvet....If Fleenor is still there he is ours. Ravens Take him and we go CB or DT. Corner....is my educated guess or trade up.

My guess is Grigson will go to address positions he didnt address through the trade and pick ups earlier on in the offseason through best player available in the draft instead of trying to figure ok this guy is a better player than this guy when you really cant compare alot of guys talent do to different positions that players play, he may go Guard, Tackle, Defensive Tackle (which I think will be the least likely cause alot of that top talent will be gone by 34) and yes even Corner and who knows maybe Tight End if Fleener is their.

Just read this....we are on the same page I think....good post. I think you are spot on on BA in this draft. That is why Grigson and Telesco are sooooo important here.

I dont think we need a wr at #2,if Fleener is there take him,but if hes not its ok.We have too many other needs to be giving away draft picks,10 picks can go a long way towards making a difference.Brent good job pointing out some of our biggest needs.

I'd love for the team to get a WR with game breaking ability, but rather than reach and gamble in the second round, I'd rather they just take the best player available. There are too many holes to worry about need. Whomever gets drafted at #34 spot had better start and contribute for a very long time. A lot of the WR's who might be available then will either be available later, or have some uncomfortable question marks. It seems much more reasonable to hope to get a top WR in the first round next year.

We deffinatley need Dbs,can use more LBs ,DLs,OLs,there are going to be WRs,TEs ,in later rounds that are capable ,but maybe just not world breakers

I think one thing we may all be overlooking going into draft,is that this offense may be more run oriented than in the past years

thoughts???

I cant define No.1 or No. 2 but the Colts need a starting quality wide reciver in the draft because I can see them in 4-WR sets

with Luck at QB

Good point on the TE subvet....If Fleenor is still there he is ours. Ravens Take him and we go CB or DT. Corner....is my educated guess or trade up.

I don't see the Ravens taking him. Their defense got RAIDED this offseason and they lost one of the best OG in the draft and their center is aging. They go offensive line IMO but if not someone for the front 7 on defense. That defense if getting really old. Reed and Lewis have only a couple years left.

I cant define No.1 or No. 2 but the Colts need a starting quality wide reciver in the draft because I can see them in 4-WR sets

with Luck at QB

You really want to see Luck behind this line with no TE or no RB to help protect? WOW. I don't! Even with Peyton we rarely went 4 wide.

I don't see the Ravens taking him. Their defense got RAIDED this offseason and they lost one of the best OG in the draft and their center is aging. They go offensive line IMO but if not someone for the front 7 on defense. That defense if getting really old. Reed and Lewis have only a couple years left.

I see defense too, but it depends what happens as always. Caldwell knows we like Fleenor. As I have said before....there will be some serious 'blocking' in this draft. My guess is the Kipers and McShays will take a major hit...this will be a surprising draft, and it starts at number 3.

with Luck at QB

No question we need a WR, but protecton from Donald Brown will not cut it...wondering how much we really are going to use the fullback. I for one do not like it, but if we cannot protect....it is what it is?????

No question we need a WR, but protecton from Donald Brown will not cut it...wondering how much we really are going to use the fullback. I for one do not like it, but if we cannot protect....it is what it is?????

Such is life. LOL

Who is going 3?

Depends who sends Minnesota the most....I like Kalil....Your thoughts???

Oh. I thought the way you were talking was that you think Minnesota will go another route. They definately are desperate to sell the pick for sure! Which means they really don't want to take Kalil. I don't think they can get out of that pick. No one has enough to give them. I think they take Kalil but wouldn't be surprised if they don't take him they would take Claiborne. I just don't see anyone willing to give up what is required to move up there.

I thought we were getting Grubbs...I was told he was almost here. Sucks!

Oh. I thought the way you were talking was that you think Minnesota will go another route. They definately are desperate to sell the pick for sure! Which means they really don't want to take Kalil. I don't think they can get out of that pick. No one has enough to give them. I think they take Kalil but wouldn't be surprised if they don't take him they would take Claiborne. I just don't see anyone willing to give up what is required to move up there.

I think the Rams want 3....and can give some things up...trade Stephen Jackson...Trent Richardson...that is my Brent McKiper thought. See Faulk... Edge! Rams thinking...Richardson!!!

I think the Rams want 3....and can give some things up...trade Stephen Jackson...Trent Richardson...that is my Brent McKiper thought. See Faulk... Edge! Rams thinking...Richardson!!!

Hmm. I don't see them giving up that much to move up. Why trade #2 just to trade back up to #3. They would probably have to give up #6 and one of their 2nd rounders. To be honest I think the Rams will be looking to trade back with that 2nd rounder. They have set themselves up great for the next couple years. I agree Richardson looks like a beast but I just am not sure he is worth those picks when you do have Jackson. Certainly Minnesota wouldn't have any interest in Jackson since they have Petterson. I think the Rams will sit back at #6 and feel very confident that they will get a great pick there. As it sits they should get either Claiborne, Blackmon, Richardson, or Kalil. Rams can't go wrong with any of those. To be honest...I see the Rams trading back at #6 for someone to trade up to get Tannenhill. See that is where I think the twist happens. Somebody will try to trade up before Miami at 8. I'm thinking KC tries to move up (maybe Buffalo). Thats my darkhorse. They give up a few picks to trade up. Rams get an extra 2nd round pick and maybe something else and still get someone like Michael Floyd or Stephan Gilmore. Who knows though. Thats my twist if something happens IMO.

Hmm. I don't see them giving up that much to move up. Why trade #2 just to trade back up to #3. They would probably have to give up #6 and one of their 2nd rounders. To be honest I think the Rams will be looking to trade back with that 2nd rounder. They have set themselves up great for the next couple years. I agree Richardson looks like a beast but I just am not sure he is worth those picks when you do have Jackson. Certainly Minnesota wouldn't have any interest in Jackson since they have Petterson. I think the Rams will sit back at #6 and feel very confident that they will get a great pick there. As it sits they should get either Claiborne, Blackmon, Richardson, or Kalil. Rams can't go wrong with any of those. To be honest...I see the Rams trading back at #6 for someone to trade up to get Tannenhill. See that is where I think the twist happens. Somebody will try to trade up before Miami at 8. I'm thinking KC tries to move up (maybe Buffalo). Thats my darkhorse. They give up a few picks to trade up. Rams get an extra 2nd round pick and maybe something else and still get someone like Michael Floyd or Stephan Gilmore. Who knows though. Thats my twist if something happens IMO.

I am being unconventional in my thoughts. I think Jeff Fisher is on a mission. I saw it in his eyes the other day.....I think he may trade some 'goods.' Just a hunch here....Just having some pre-draft fun!! There are going to be 'players and movers....Fisher is not done. Where will e do it? He is so excited to 'play again.'

I am being unconventional in my thoughts. I think Jeff Fisher is on a mission. I saw it in his eyes the other day.....I think he may trade some 'goods.' Just a hunch here....Just having some pre-draft fun!! There are going to be 'players and movers....Fisher is not done. Where will e do it? He is so excited to 'play again.'

He is on a mission to bring the Rams to the spotlight...believe me...I saw his face...and all I care about is the COLTS!!!!!

He is on a mission to bring the Rams to the spotlight...believe me...I saw his face...and all I care about is the COLTS!!!!!

Just did a couple mock drafts...every way I do the draft it seems there are like 10 players in round 2 when we pick that I would be excited to take. Some one we didn't think would be there will definately be there at 34. Its great.

One thing you can ALWAYS count on is there will be a run on CBs (I think 4 will go in the first round jenkins included)and someone will trade up into the end of round 1 top of round 2 for those second tier qbs. I am very hopeful that say Weeden doesn't go in round 1. If Cleveland thinks he will make it back around to them at 36 then you know teams will be calling us or St. Louis to trade up on day 2. Teams like Buffalo, KC, Seattle, Arizona I think could be interested to try to get back ahead of Cleveland.

It seems those two things happen every year. CBs go off the board fast and we see someone reach for a qb at the end of the first round/2nd round.

We need a receiver soon. For the past 4 years since Marvin Harrison left we needed one. We need a guy to stretch the field and take pressure off of Reggie Wayne. Only reason why I'm saying it can wait because Peyton is no longer here. With us rebuild after DT. WR better be the next need. Then in about 2 season a RB.

Just did a couple mock drafts...every way I do the draft it seems there are like 10 players in round 2 when we pick that I would be excited to take. Some one we didn't think would be there will definately be there at 34. Its great.

Good deal....I hope and know you are correct....always someone moving 'into position.'

I don't believe that there's a clearcut future #1 WR available when we pick at #34. I would go for BPA in the second rund, with an eye for what we need for the future, not specifically what we might need right here and now this season.

Forget about Cordy Glenn or Chandler Jones falling to us at 34 - That's never going to happen.. Even Stephen Hill looks like a stretch at 34.

I would pick someone like Quick in round 3, to add depth to the WR roster. He would benefit greatly from playing and working out with Reggie and could be a solid WR in the future.

Actually, I think that our second round pick is the most interesting this season, as everyone has known for a loooong time that Luck would be the #1 draft pick this year.

One significant need is a deep scoring threat. Speed and hands, usually plenty of either available much less availability for both in the same package. Add the desire for some size to those hands with speed and that package isn't available very often.

I wish that it was just like grocery shopping. Go to the All Star store and get what ya need off the shelf. When you need it.

Unfortunately too often what you need isn't available.

Come draft time the Colts have to get the best they can when they can. Within their budget.

I think placing that kind of obligation on the team going into the draft is counter-productive. Especially since you can manufacture offense without having a true #1 receiver these days. Reggie is still a 100 catch threat, and if we add a weapon at tight end and Collie can produce anywhere near what he did in his second year, plus the threat of throwing to the backs, we can have a decent passing attack.

It would be nice to draft a high ceiling receiver this year, but it's not necessary to approach the draft that way. Plus, we'll have a lot of cap space in the next offseason, and should be able to add a weapon where necessary.

Alshon Jeffery in the 2nd is kinda both a solid number 2 future number 1

Add me to your fan club, I would be stoked to get Jeffery over a Tight End. We have proven we can pick up an excellent tight end later in the draft like Clark and Tamme. 34th overall imo is way too high for that position.

you know what a good problem to have is? multiple WR competing for the #1 spot. Right now...there is no competition. If we could get a Saints-style WR corp going...that would be great.

You know what is interesting about that? Mecham was the only first round WR they have taken in the past decade almost. And he was probably their number 4 WR last year. Meachem was a late first round pick. Colston their best actual WR was taken in the 7th round. Henderson was a 2nd round pick but avgs about 30 catches a year. Lance Moore was undrafted. Even their TE Jimmy Graham was drafted in the 3rd round. What they have drafted was interesting enough running backs early over the years. So what does this tell you? That that potent defense isn't a result of first round game changing wide receivers but an incredibly accurate qb, great offensive minded coach and one of the biggest reasons...they have had perhaps one of the top 5 offensive lines in football over the past 3 or so years.

They have rotated some people but up the middle they have constantly had a great line to keep people off Brees. When NO has problems and Brees throws picks its when the defense gets in his face. That usually doesn't happen. So what do we need to do to have that great passing game? Put together a great offensive line. Get some decent wideouts and throw it around with a super accurate qb. I don't think WR is the key component in that offense. To me its the qb and then its the line giving the qb time to pick teams apart. Add some burners and that time and someone will get open deep.

You know what is interesting about that? Mecham was the only first round WR they have taken in the past decade almost. And he was probably their number 4 WR last year. Meachem was a late first round pick. Colston their best actual WR was taken in the 7th round. Henderson was a 2nd round pick but avgs about 30 catches a year. Lance Moore was undrafted. Even their TE Jimmy Graham was drafted in the 3rd round. What they have drafted was interesting enough running backs early over the years. So what does this tell you? That that potent defense isn't a result of first round game changing wide receivers but an incredibly accurate qb, great offensive minded coach and one of the biggest reasons...they have had perhaps one of the top 5 offensive lines in football over the past 3 or so years.

They have rotated some people but up the middle they have constantly had a great line to keep people off Brees. When NO has problems and Brees throws picks its when the defense gets in his face. That usually doesn't happen. So what do we need to do to have that great passing game? Put together a great offensive line. Get some decent wideouts and throw it around with a super accurate qb. I don't think WR is the key component in that offense. To me its the qb and then its the line giving the qb time to pick teams apart. Add some burners and that time and someone will get open deep.

yeha i don't recall saying that only #1 receivers could be had in the 1st round... I agree with your statements. I think you are not giving the Saints receivers enough credit however. Brees tosses that ball up and they are on point to go and grab it. Always in the right spot at the right time, and if not, they contest for the ball and go grab it. It's a combination of protection, qb and wr...that's obvious. If what you are advertising is that we need to go O-line early...then this same argument you made for WR I can easily make for O-lineman.

At the end of the day I think coaching is a big part of it. I do think we should go best player available...but as far as our current WR roster goes...it's hurting. I'm actually pretty happy with the O-line we've created in the off season. Is it perfect? No...but it's better than last years in my opinion. Just gotta see how it all plays out.

yeha i don't recall saying that only #1 receivers could be had in the 1st round... I agree with your statements. I think you are not giving the Saints receivers enough credit however. Brees tosses that ball up and they are on point to go and grab it. Always in the right spot at the right time, and if not, they contest for the ball and go grab it. It's a combination of protection, qb and wr...that's obvious. If what you are advertising is that we need to go O-line early...then this same argument you made for WR I can easily make for O-lineman.

At the end of the day I think coaching is a big part of it. I do think we should go best player available...but as far as our current WR roster goes...it's hurting. I'm actually pretty happy with the O-line we've created in the off season. Is it perfect? No...but it's better than last years in my opinion. Just gotta see how it all plays out.

I agree they are hungry for the ball and don't complain about not getting the ball or anything. They are extremely athletic....but my main point was that we don't have to find a #1 wr in the first/second round as others were suggesting. Players and teams like you mentioned which are what everyone is trying to achieve did it without necessarily getting wr early. You can wait and take one in the middle rounds and still get that value. Those true dominant #1 wrs are few and far in-between. You get those in the top 10 of the draft...so to me the value then shifts to smart picks in the middle rounds to find those #2 guys. I mean we aren't going to line up a wayne/harrison/stokley combo next year. It takes time to amass those types of players. We have done a good job in the middle rounds with Garcon/Collie. I think Collie and Wayne can be very sufficient for Luck and Avery/Draft pick can round out a pretty decent receiving core. Perhaps best in our division at least....certainly not in the rest of the league though. We got our qb this year. Lets puts some defense out there and build a line for him and protect him. Then we can go out next year and find that true #1 (draft or FA).

I don't think we are ever going to have that Saints offense though. Not unless we get Payton to coach for us. That is just a special type of offense. Perhaps in a couple years we can turn the reigns loose on Luck and see something similar to what Peyton was doing.