Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do the Colts need to come out with a future No.1 WR in this draft?

chad72

No.1 WR for Colts from this draft  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Do the Colts need to come away with a future No.1 from this draft?

• Yes, the WR drafted should have a ceiling of a No.1
    • No, it would suffice if the WR drafted has a ceiling of a No.2

I am thinking the Colts do not need to come out with a future No.1 WR in this particular draft. They can wait till the next draft for that.

We could however get a good No.2 or No.3 potential from the draft for a ceiling.

thoughts???

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we need a new WR no doubt, but we'll have an early pick next year, which we can use on Reggie's replacement. Let's be fair, I like Collie and Avery could be good, but it's not the best set of weapons in the the world.

Need? no. But I would want that more than anything else. I would I want to get Luck as much help as possible. I would want to take a WR in round 2 and a TE in 3 or trade back into 2nd, wherever we can get Allen.

I would be fine with getting a TE at 34 if its Fleener, but I think TE are being pushed up in the draft above their value. Most guys say that there are no 1st round TEs in this draft, and I want the BPA at 34. We should be able to get a 1st round guy at 34. I do not want to reach for need.

Um, No.......No they do not.

There is plenty of WR talent in this draft and 1 could be had later in the draft and still produce enough for our needs. I think a lot of Colts fans suffer from Polianitus. A disease that makes one believe that they need great players at offensive skill positions to be successful.

I don't think we need a future #1 from this draft. We do have some decent weapons around Luck and we certainly need to bring in more talent around him, but I don't think getting a #1 receiver is a priority. With that said, you never know what could happen. The team could draft a WR in the 4th round and he ends up being a diamond in the rough and being the #1 receiver for the next 10 years

Should've been an option for no WR at all or not even a starting WR. I think some depth and perhaps we get a steal like we got with Collie and Garcon but we need more help on OL and front 7 on defense. The trenches.

I think getting the trenches of the oline more stout will clear the way for solid wr's to become stellar wr's because they will give Luck passing lanes and more time to decide. If the oline is the same garbage quality that it was over the past 5 years or so, Luck will have a hard time getting the ball to the best #1 wr in the league. If the defense lets the opposing offense stay on the field like Peyton had to watch over the past several years, the Colts will lose more games than they win because as good aas Luck is said to be, he isn't in Mannings comeback zip code yet.

I would call it a pressing need next season. As for now, we should accept our role of rebuilding and approach that process accordingly. I suppose if there was an exceptional opportunity and grabbing at that WR opportunity wouldn't cost us another player we had pegged on our board, then sure, go for it.

Alshon Jeffery in the 2nd is kinda both a solid number 2 future number 1

Not sold on a guy that couldn't get open in college but simply went over the top of players. He had a terrible time separating and had weight issues. He only dropped the weight to run a good 40 time. He isn't going to be able to just jump over cbs in this league. He will be playing against the best of the best and if he couldn't get separation in college doubt it will happen in the pros.

I think getting the trenches of the oline more stout will clear the way for solid wr's to become stellar wr's because they will give Luck passing lanes and more time to decide. If the oline is the same garbage quality that it was over the past 5 years or so, Luck will have a hard time getting the ball to the best #1 wr in the league. If the defense lets the opposing offense stay on the field like Peyton had to watch over the past several years, the Colts will lose more games than they win because as good aas Luck is said to be, he isn't in Mannings comeback zip code yet.

Agreed. The tried and true philosophy is that you build fom the inside out. Draft elite offensive and defensive trench players early, then the rest will take of itself. As successful as Polian has been, neglecting the offensive line is probably the reason he's only won one Superbowl.

A top notch offensive line will do wonders for your skill players. Look at what NE did with their offense... Brady wouldn't be nearly the player he is without that stellar offensive line giving him ages to make a decision. Without that O line, I doubt Brady even wins one Superbowl.

With Reggie, Collie and Avery on board now, plus the cap space we'll gain next spring we should be in position to upgrade WR then.

I'm not opposed to taking a WR in this draft, but I'd put OG, D-Line, CB, LB and TE all higher on the priority list. Had Reggie NOT returned then that would be a different story.

So if Stephen Hill, DE Chandler Jones and OG Cordy Glenn, for instance, all fall to us at #34.... I'd take Glenn or Jones and then maybe try to snag a WR such as T.Y. Hilton later on in the draft.

I think the pickups Grigson did may tell us the same thing that wide receiver may not be a huge priority this year but he hasnt picked up tight end so that seems to me a bigger priority, also he hasnt picked up a Corner so that may be at the top of the list as well

who knows maybe with so few solid Corners in the draft he may be thinking 2Corner, 3Wide 4Receiver Tight End, 5D-Line (strangely enough thats how I am looking at it lol after Luck) wont know for sure for a couple days though

No, because essentially we have 3 years to find our future no.1 and Robert Woods could easily be that guy in next year's draft.

I agree about woods, he would look good in blue. I see him turning out to be alot like andre Johnson. I think if Hill falls to 34, we could pick that future number 1 reciever this year, I think Wayne would help him develop his route running.

My only fear with drafting a number 2 is that he remains our number 1 for years (see Danny Granger with the Pacers). What I mean is that he is good enough to be perceived as a number 1, even though he is better suited at a number 2. This could delay us reaching our potential.

Unfortunately, outside of Blackmon I am not totally convinced there is another true 1 in this draft. Floyd and Hill have the potential, but there are a lot of solid 2s in this draft. Jeffrey is possible, but not convinced he has the mind to be a #1.

My only fear with drafting a number 2 is that he remains our number 1 for years (see Danny Granger with the Pacers). What I mean is that he is good enough to be perceived as a number 1, even though he is better suited at a number 2. This could delay us reaching our potential.

Unfortunately, outside of Blackmon I am not totally convinced there is another true 1 in this draft. Floyd and Hill have the potential, but there are a lot of solid 2s in this draft. Jeffrey is possible, but not convinced he has the mind to be a #1.

I agree with that statement as well, which is why Im not a fan of going wide receiver at #2 we can do that early next year and get our number 1 right now Wayne still makes a suitable but not great #1

I think we'll find some depth at WR but I think part of the idea of resigning Reggie Wayne was that we didn't have to find a future number one WR in this draft. Frankly it's hard to get a future number one WR outside of the first round. I think it will be the target of next year's draft. With that said clearly we need some depth at the WR and we could very well go WR as early as the second round and that player could be a very good player for years to come.

My guess is Grigson will go to address positions he didnt address through the trade and pick ups earlier on in the offseason through best player available in the draft instead of trying to figure ok this guy is a better player than this guy when you really cant compare alot of guys talent do to different positions that players play, he may go Guard, Tackle, Defensive Tackle (which I think will be the least likely cause alot of that top talent will be gone by 34) and yes even Corner and who knows maybe Tight End if Fleener is their.

Collie is very good (and injury free last year) Wayne was brought back to be the #1 receiver so the Colts still have a couple drafts barring injury to replace him.

And good luck finding a #1 receiver in later rounds. Happens but its rare. Colts need a TE and thats the weakest position in the 2012 draft. Fleener would be a great pickup but Harbaugh will take him.

Hang on guys. We need to get a future #1 QB out of this draft. A proven NFL Franchise QB. Then we can worry about the catchers.

This is not a knock on Luck, I think he's going to be a terrific player for many years, and I'm not following the Church of FX Jay either. Just being realistic, whilst retaining oodles of hope.

We are pretty thin at WR mind you (we are the Calista Flockhart of the NFL right now...), so a great TE / Wide-out would help a bundle...