Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Blackmon or Thomas ?

dw49

Looks like maybe Thomas and not Cross was our steal in the draft ? Blackmon plays the run better but in my opinion , Thomas is the better pass defender. It will be interesting when Blackmon returns. Safety sure has been a revolving door with the retirement and injury. Cross went from playing most snaps to zero last night.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Looks like maybe Thomas and not Cross was our steal in the draft ? Blackmon plays the run better but in my opinion , Thomas is the better pass defender. It will be interesting when Blackmon returns. Safety sure has been a revolving door with the retirement and injury. Cross went from playing most snaps to zero last night.

Thomas has to stay on field he is a true center fielder he has better lateral movement than Blackman, but Blackman attacks the run better. I wouldn’t change anything if I was Gus or they could get Blackman at SS since he could cover TE with his cb background…. But I would like to see some 3 safety sets and less Kenny Moore tbh ….. he did make a good punch out not giving up on that play. 

• Like 1

We are in good shape at Safety forsure. I would leave Thomas at FS. He should never leave the field on D unless roating on obvious running downs. When Blackmon is 100% healthy I'd try putting him at SS but leave Thomas to play center field and use Cross/McCloud as rotational depth. Just my opinion. 

11 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I was thinking Thomas might do to Blackmon what Bethea did to Doss.  Get a chance due to injury and just not give the job back.

Very good comparison. I forgot about Doss, good memory. :thmup:

42 minutes ago, Matty Ice-Ice Baby said:

Thomas could have had 2 picks last night if the refs weren’t blocking for Denver 

Was just thinking this. He was in great position to make a play on the ball too. At the very least if the ref doesn't get in the way, thats more than likely another deep ball broken up.

Thomas, without question. Move Blackmon to SS and/or use him as excellent depth for both safety positions. Thomas has looked really promising thus far. Exciting to see.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Hark said:

Thomas, without question. Move Blackmon to SS and/or use him as excellent depth for both safety positions. Thomas has looked really promising thus far. Exciting to see.

I’m not too sure about that.  Thomas let that ref take him out of the play pretty easily.  

(Where’s that sarcasm font?)

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I’m not too sure about that.  Thomas let that ref take him out of the play pretty easily.  

(Where’s that sarcasm font?)

No question. That was soft. Kid needs to learn to fight through that,

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Matty Ice-Ice Baby said:

Thomas could have had 2 picks last night if the refs weren’t blocking for Denver 

Could've had 3 if he could've held on to the first ball that was almost a TD. Would've been a spectacular all pro play 

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Remember when Nick Cross was going to be a future superstar?  

I don’t know about superstar, but I still think his future is bright.   Plenty of young players have moments where it’s two steps forward, but then take a step back.   

I like both the short and long-term look of our safety room.    Thomas, Cross,  Dabo,  McLoud,  Blackmon, Denbow and Watts. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t know about superstar, but I still think his future is bright.   Plenty of young players have moments where it’s two steps forward, but then take a step back.   

I like both the short and long-term look of our safety room.    Thomas, Cross,  Dabo,  McLoud,  Blackmon and someone else I’m forgetting.  

And I didn’t mean that as a slight to Cross.  What I meant was that we get caught up in the immediacy and think players are going to be stars (or fail).  

Only time will tell how good they’ll be.  I do think we have a solid group.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yeah Cross is so young, Thomas has 4 years on him so not shocking and Thomas like MPJ had a father who played in the NFL for many years. No way I'd bench Rodney Mc,he is rarely out of position and makes plays. Rotate Blackmon and Cross in for 3 safetys sets. Our room so far ahead of what it was last year back there. Pretty telling Sendejo and Addae have yet to be signed anywhere and Odum whom some SF fans where hoping would be a starter has 2 total snaps on base D.......what a difference a year makes.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dw49 said:

Blackmon is done. The greatest asset in football is availability. He can't stay healthy.  He is the defences version of Campbell.

To me, Thomas is a natural free safety.  He was a corner in college, but at Ivy League level.   But at the NFL level, he’s a FS.  A beautiful long strider.   Good looking athlete. 

I think you can see his Ivy League mind working out there.  Always thinking.  He looks comfortable out there.   He’s got a nice future with upside.   A nice surprise in the middle of a terrible season! 

• Thanks 1