Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If N exists, what is N?

DalTXColtsFan

"If the Colts can improve their pass protection to Nth best in the league they will be Super Bowl contenders"

Is there any N that makes this true?

I know they need to run better too, but I believe that if we can get Taylor back healthy and defenses start thinking, "Uh-oh - the Colts can actually pass the ball now!!!!" improved pass pro will automatically improve the run game by getting defenders out of the *($@#($@ing box.

The defense definitely has room for improvement but overall is playing pretty darned well.  Certainly if the offense starts passing the ball better, sustaining drives and (horror of horrors) actually starts letting the defense play with a LEAD so they can pin the opposing QB's ears back I think they'll be good enough that we can compete with anyone.

Are we really better pass protection away from being able to compete with any other NFL team, or am I being too optimistic?

20 minutes ago, DalTXColtsFan said:

"If the Colts can improve their pass protection to Nth best in the league they will be Super Bowl contenders"

I know they need to run better too, but I believe that if we can get Taylor back healthy and defenses start thinking, "Uh-oh - the Colts can actually pass the ball now!!!!" improved pass pro will automatically improve the run game by getting defenders out of the *($@#($@ing box.

The defense definitely has room for improvement but overall is playing pretty darned well.  Certainly if the offense starts passing the ball better, sustaining drives and (horror of horrors) actually starts letting the defense play with a LEAD so they can pin the opposing QB's ears back I think they'll be good enough that we can compete with anyone.

Are we really better pass protection away from being able to compete with any other NFL team, or am I being too optimistic?

Yes we are. Its the only glaring weakness this team really has.

As far as ranking, I dont really know. 

If we have an average OL in pass protection like last year, we are competing

If we have an average OL in run protection, which is still considerably worse than last year, we are looking pretty good with Taylor in the backfield.

I think it's a little oversimplified, but not that far off. I think we need better o-line play in general, not just pass pro. I do, however, think it will get better as the season goes on. At least I hope so. To me, the biggest thing we need to improve is ball security. This offense puts the ball on the ground way too much to be successful. Not sure of the exact numbers, but Matt Ryan has to lead the NFL in fumbles right now. Even if we manage to recover the fumble, it puts the offense behind the chains and at a disadvantage. While this team has many shortcomings, these seem to me to be the ones costing us games.

I thought about this last night...if I said we're trading our starting offense straight up for the Lion's offense how many would say do it? Would you?

I think the consensus is the Colts have better players but one team is 1st in offense and the other is almost last. I don't think the problem is the players on the Colts roster, the problem is the coaches. 

To answer the question....If the Colts can improve the quality of their offenseive coaching we just may make the playoffs. 

5 hours ago, DalTXColtsFan said:

Well, by using Nth....you automatically discounted the top three spots.  Top three is what it would take.

4 hours ago, Indy87 said:

The problem is scheme. And the oline scheme is trash. But our old coach was too “mean” so we fired him. This team truly angers me. The NFL is no longer about toughness. 

That's such a falsehood.  They did fine for several seasons after Deguglielmo. 

Also, that "mean" guy got canned after even less time at his next spot.....and where is he now?

With only two wideouts that I would call good/consistent threats I would say you need a top 5 pass pro OL.  Maybe top 10 depending on the TE group and how consistently they can affect games, but top 5 is probably safer given our QB position.

And even then I am not sure Ryan could get us through the playoffs undefeated.  That's tough for even the guys in their prime years, because you are going to face a defense or two that can shut down a lot of what you like to do in those four games.  

1 hour ago, Jackie Daytona said:

That's such a falsehood.  They did fine for several seasons after Deguglielmo. 

Also, that "mean" guy got canned after even less time at his next spot.....and where is he now?

they declined each year. 

Super Bowl level?    No, I doubt we’d be SB level even if suddenly we were the best pass blocking OL in the NFL.  

Now, if we can get to roughly 10-12 level pass blocking, that might put us at playoff level football.   Make the post season and maybe you get lucky and win a game. 

33 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

They didn’t.  They feel off last year and really feel off this year.  This supports the idea that the loses of AC, Glow, and Doyle are the problem.  Not the coach that was fired after Frank’s first season.  

it is a collective issue. 

46 minutes ago, Indy87 said:

it is a collective issue. 

It might be current coach related but it wasn’t a coach fired after the 2018 season.  They have been very good since then starting to fall off when AC retired and really feel off the cliff when Glow left and Doyle retired.  

Archived