Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Quenton Nelson

NorthernColt

For all the talk about how bad our Oline has been, from what I've seen Nelson is somehow escaping criticism when this is probably the worst I've seen him play. Is he better than the rest of the line that's currently the worst in the league? Yes, but we also aren't paying anyone else on that line $20M a season!

I'm actually concerned. I've seen him on his back more this year than his first 4 years combined! With how his back was giving him problems last year, it does scare me a bit. From what I have watched, I've seen him pancaked more times this year than he's pancaked defenders. He looks like a shell of himself.

Bottom line is, when you become the highest paid player at a position ever, expectations go up, fair or not. When you wear a "C", you need to take ownership and lead! This is his offensive line, he needs to realize that they go as he goes.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Nelson is receiving unfair criticism actually. He isnt making 20m this year and isnt really the problem with our OL, at all. He has been the only dependable piece of it. He hasnt been as good as his usual 1st team all pro self, but thats a pretty high bar.

Kelly and Smith are the two guys avoiding deserved criticism. They account for just as much cap as Q this year and neither guy has played acceptable football whatsoever. And they dont have the track record he does. 

4 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

I think Nelson is receiving unfair criticism actually. He isnt making 20m this year and isnt really the problem with our OL, at all. He has been the only dependable piece of it. He hasnt been as good as his usual 1st team all pro self, but thats a pretty high bar.

Kelly and Smith are the two guys avoiding deserved criticism. They account for just as much cap as Q this year and neither guy has played acceptable football whatsoever. And they dont have the track record he does. 

I mean, we're going go into the semantics of this? You know what I mean. He just signed the largest deal of all time. 

As for dependable, even thats debatable. He had a PFF grade of 3 last night through 3 quarters...

5 minutes ago, NorthernColt said:

I mean, we're going go into the semantics of this? You know what I mean. He just signed the largest deal of all time. 

As for dependable, even thats debatable. He had a PFF grade of 3 last night through 3 quarters...

Its not semantics at all. He isnt making 20m this year. Its only being implied because it makes your argument look better. But he not only isnt making that much, he is making half that much. Its very misleading. 

And Im tired of hearing about PFF like it means anything. 

Devin White has been rated as one of the worst LBs in football this year and is the defensive player of the Month for Spetember It literally means nothing. They have zero credibility IMO.

4 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

Its not semantics at all. He isnt making 20m this year. Its only being implied because it makes your argument look better. But he not only isnt making that much, he is making half that much. Its very misleading. 

Devin White has been rated as one of the worst LBs in football this year and is the defensive player of the Month for Spetember It literally means nothing. They have zero credibility IMO.

Ok we can act like he didn't just sign the largest deal by any interior linemen in this history of the NFL. Blinders on. No, its not just PFF, watch the tape, Nelson has not been Nelson. He literally got steamrolled last night by Alex Singleton, who btw weighs in at 100lbs less than Nelson. Thats not the Nelson I know.

I'm not saying string this guy up or anything, but to say Nelson is receiving unfair criticism is insane.

Just now, NorthernColt said:

Ok we can act like he didn't just sign the largest deal by any interior linemen in this history of the NFL. Blinders on. No, its not just PFF, watch the tape, Nelson has not been Nelson. He literally got steamrolled last night by Alex Singleton, who btw weighs in at 100lbs less than Nelson. Thats not the Nelson I know.

I'm not saying string this guy up or anything, but to say Nelson is receiving unfair criticism is insane.

I dont have blinders on, Im just tired of hearing that hes making 20m this year when he isnt making close to that. Regardless, he is a highly accomplished player and earned that contract whether or not its from us or someone else, he was gonna get it from somebody. 

I didnt say hes played his best. I actually said he hasnt been his usual self, but the people criticizing him always have an agenda and are never fair in their critique and last night is a great example.

He got knocked over on a play by a pretty large 230lb man running full steam and hitting him while he was standing still and never saw him coming. So what? That happens in a football game sometimes and its hardly a reason to criticize a guy. 

I just think its a waste of time because if everybody played like Nelson we wouldnt have any OL problems. So how is he an issue? 

What he makes is a separate issue.

I don't think there is any doubt that his personal performance has dropped off from his early years.

I've got a theory that both he and Braden Smith...both of whom were veteran starters in college in a major college football program...came to the NFL physically and mentally ready to play.    They came into the NFL near their peak.  They don't have the same upwards trajectory as other players.   The NFL as a whole is simply catching up to them a little.  They get beat more than they used to and that will be the norm.

The thing about sports contracts is that the player isn't being paid for what he's done, he's being paid for what he will do. 

It's early in the season, its a group problem (not just Nelson), and its presumably fixable BUT if this continues we certainly wont be getting our moneys worth by paying for the best guard in the league. 

2 hours ago, NorthernColt said:

For all the talk about how bad our Oline has been, from what I've seen Nelson is somehow escaping criticism when this is probably the worst I've seen him play. Is he better than the rest of the line that's currently the worst in the league? Yes, but we also aren't paying anyone else on that line $20M a season!

I'm actually concerned. I've seen him on his back more this year than his first 4 years combined! With how his back was giving him problems last year, it does scare me a bit. From what I have watched, I've seen him pancaked more times this year than he's pancaked defenders. He looks like a shell of himself.

Bottom line is, when you become the highest paid player at a position ever, expectations go up, fair or not. When you wear a "C", you need to take ownership and lead! This is his offensive line, he needs to realize that they go as he goes.

1 good linemen playing with 1 below average and 3 horrible linemen make everyone look bad 

53 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I don't think there is any doubt that his personal performance has dropped off from his early years.

I've got a theory that both he and Braden Smith...both of whom were veteran starters in college in a major college football program...came to the NFL physically and mentally ready to play.    They came into the NFL near their peak.  They don't have the same upwards trajectory as other players.   The NFL as a whole is simply catching up to them a little.  They get beat more than they used to and that will be the norm.

I have to think it’s injury related both of them dealt with surgeries and injuries last year. So that probably took a toll of them smith hasn’t been right since same with Nelson , kelly always being subpar 

He is our best Olineman in a group of bad ones. He is not playing up to his usual self but I have confidence he will return to form. He will never play up to his contract though cause G's are just not worth that much money, an overpay by Ballard for sure.

2 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

He is our best Olineman in a group of bad ones. He is not playing up to his usual self but I have confidence he will return to form. He will never play up to his contract though cause G's are just not worth that much money, an overpay by Ballard for sure.

Yeah out of our Lineman he would be last guy I would complain about. We need a legit LT, because Matt is getting killed without that. 

13 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Kelly is a close friend of Q and not sure if Q has had his share of having to see Kelly's mishaps this year get to him as well. Look at Matt Ryan's throws, rarely towards the middle and mostly towards the outside, all from pressure down the middle beating Kelly and the right side more often than the others.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Kelly is a close friend of Q and not sure if Q has had his share of having to see Kelly's mishaps this year get to him as well. Look at Matt Ryan's throws, rarely towards the middle and mostly towards the outside, all from pressure down the middle beating Kelly and the right side more often than the others.

Kelly needs to be traded IMO. Pinter has badly outplayed him at C last year when he was injured and last night. This oline is way overpaid, need to free up some cash. Cant dump Q, cant dump Smith have no backup option. Kelly is the obvious answer to go.

Escaping criticism?    Seriously?

im guessing you haven’t visited this website much the last month or so?

He’s been getting KILLED here. 

Who’s Quinton Nelson? 

38 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Kelly needs to be traded IMO. Pinter has badly outplayed him at C last year when he was injured and last night. This oline is way overpaid, need to free up some cash. Cant dump Q, cant dump Smith have no backup option. Kelly is the obvious answer to go.

man’s they haven’t seen this with all of their “evaluations”. 

I don't think his play this season has anything to do with.who he's lining up against.. He's still a huge physical specimen of a man and doubt his skill level deteriorated, in fact his skill level should be improving with being a veteran.

It's obviously imo, he's having back issues that is effecting his play.....and that's not good considering his age and the huge contract Ballard gave him.

58 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Escaping criticism?    Seriously?

im guessing you haven’t visited this website much the last month or so?

He’s been getting KILLED here. 

No I haven't been as active on here as of late, I haven't seen alot of it to be honest.

54 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Who’s Quinton Nelson? 

Love these kinds of posts. Adds alot to the conversation harping on a typo.

1 hour ago, jbaron04 said:

1 good linemen playing with 1 below average and 3 horrible linemen make everyone look bad 

You're not wrong! He's quite obviously the best of the bunch still. But my issue is largely seeing him in one on ones. He used to crush guys. He's one of the guys that made OL highlights popular and fun to watch. No where near it right now. Hopefully he gets right.

1 hour ago, NorthernColt said:

No I haven't been as active on here as of late, I haven't seen alot of it to be honest.

Love these kinds of posts. Adds alot to the conversation harping on a typo.

You're not wrong! He's quite obviously the best of the bunch still. But my issue is largely seeing him in one on ones. He used to crush guys. He's one of the guys that made OL highlights popular and fun to watch. No where near it right now. Hopefully he gets right.

I agree when you have them back issues he has been dealing with since last year and the foot issues, you wonder what kind of mindset he’s in. Also with all the stunts and stuff I feel like you can’t be as aggressive as they want to be since they have to switch off a lot etc… I’m not making excuses for Q. He has to play better but let’s just hope that this is a one year thing or coaching issues 

5 hours ago, NorthernColt said:

Quenton Nelson cannot be held accountable for more than one position on the O-line.

Quenton Nelson cannot be held accountable when you have a veteran right tackle playing at left tackle for the first time - and - then is replaced by a rookie left tackle.

Quenton Nelson will be back to his normal self when those around him are able to adequately perform THEIR responsibilities - allowing Big Q to take care of his.

6 hours ago, Goatface Killah said:

People have been saying Kelly should be traded for the past 2 seasons. Idk where you’ve been. The real issue was not having solid guys at LT and RG. Notice how when Castonzo left, the line took a step back. Then once we lost Castonzo and Glowinski. The OL really is one unit where chemistry is everything. You can’t really have weak links. Well you can, but then you have to have a mobile QB and good offensive play-caller, which we have neither of.

All that aside Kelly has not been good. They really should search for an upgrade next offseason. Smith only recently hasn’t played well. Some of you seem to forget how much this team missed him when he was out those couple of weeks last year. 

52 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

People have been saying Kelly should be traded for the past 2 seasons. Idk where you’ve been. The real issue was not having solid guys at LT and RG. Notice how when Castonzo left, the line took a step back. Then once we lost Castonzo and Glowinski. The OL really is one unit where chemistry is everything. You can’t really have weak links. Well you can, but then you have to have a mobile QB and good offensive play-caller, which we have neither of.

All that aside Kelly has not been good. They really should search for an upgrade next offseason. Smith only recently hasn’t played well. Some of you seem to forget how much this team missed him when he was out those couple of weeks last year. 

My point was it seems Nelson has gotten more criticism than Kelly and Smith despite playing much better than either of them. I didnt say people havent criticized Kelly at all. I am aware of that.

9 hours ago, DougDew said:

Yeah and Ballard should have saw that and not be so ready to give up the farm.

10 hours ago, Goatface Killah said:

Preach it. I'm sick to death of people worshipping at the PFF altar. It's stoopit.

As for Nelson, I haven't seen enough games to know what's up. It is disturbing though. He and Taylor were the only two guys on the team I felt were a lock to play at a high level. 

On 10/7/2022 at 11:07 AM, NorthernColt said:

He hasn't been right since he started having back problems last year.

Archived