Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Matt Ryan

Bert Johns

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, coming on strong said:

18 turn overs in 5 games from ryan that must be a record .....   he needs to play better if our defense didnt shut down the broncos and limit the chiefs we wouldnt have a win .     every one got on wentz for his turnovers but he had 7 picks in 17 games ryan is already at 7 picks

Yea he has been horrible and made horrible decisions, for him being a 14 year vet I haven’t seen him throw one pass away or give up on bad play and take short sack

8 hours ago, coming on strong said:

18 turn overs in 5 games from ryan that must be a record .....   he needs to play better if our defense didnt shut down the broncos and limit the chiefs we wouldnt have a win .     every one got on wentz for his turnovers but he had 7 picks in 17 games ryan is already at 7 picks

He doesn't have 18 turnovers.

He has 10.(7 ints, 3 fumbles lost)

Not like that is good, but it sure isn't 18. Fumbles retained do not count as turnovers

Yes, he has 7 picks as well.

1 was a great play by a DT

2 was late in game(5:00 left) against Jags trying to comeback down 24-0.

1 was a great play by Jerry Hughes on a screen.

Context is important.

The 2 last game were all on Ryan though, can't blame the line for not giving him time to throw. Yad plenty of time on both those INTs, just bad decisions.

No way is this post an excuse for Matt Ryan, he needs to play better. Everyone knows that. Fact is he doesn't have 18 turnovers and 4 of 7 INTs you kind of have to shrug your shoulders at.

2 flukey great plays by DL.

2 when game was out of reach just trying to make something happen.

Again play has been putrid, but at the end of the day we are 2-2-1. 

7 hours ago, DU COLT said:

looks like he’s gone a year too long. It happens. 

Matt Ryan is like a rusted iron deer lawn ornament at this point. Great career etc… but he would be doing himself and us a favor to hang it up at the end of year.

1 hour ago, w87r said:

Not like that is good, but it sure isn't 18. Fumbles retained do not count as turnovers

Context is important.

The 2 last game were all on Ryan though, can't blame the line for not giving him time to throw. Yad plenty of time on both those INTs, just bad decisions.

No way is this post an excuse for Matt Ryan, he needs to play better. Everyone knows that. Fact is he doesn't have 18 turnovers and 4 of 7 INTs you kind of have to shrug your shoulders at.

The context is important I agree he threw 2 picks last game with simi clean pockets and time into quad triplets coverage on the one to Pittman 

Just now, jbaron04 said:

The context is important I agree he threw 2 picks last game with simi clean pockets and time into quad triplets coverage on the one to Pittman 

Did you notice, that was literally what I posted after saying context is important?

1 hour ago, w87r said:

Context is important.

The 2 last game were all on Ryan though, can't blame the line for not giving him time to throw. Had plenty of time on both those INTs, just bad decisions.

6 minutes ago, w87r said:

Did you notice, that was literally what I posted after saying context is important?

Yea I’m agree with you, I can say number lies but the eye test Matt Ryan is cooked, and it’s normally a slow steady decline until you just fall off the cliff

1 minute ago, jbaron04 said:

Yea I’m agree with you, I can say number lies but the eye test Matt Ryan is cooked, and it’s normally a slow steady decline until you just fall off the cliff

Right on

I'm not even saying the numbers are lying, they are what the are. Just more to some of them.

Ryan has looked bad, no doubt. He has also looked good in clutch time as well at times too.

I think we are about to see the Colts turn the corner. At least I hope so.

9 minutes ago, w87r said:

Right on

I'm not even saying the numbers are lying, they are what the are. Just more to some of them.

Ryan has looked bad, no doubt. He has also looked good in clutch time as well at times too.

I think we are about to see the Colts turn the corner. At least I hope so.

I hope so to. well on the bright side we are where most of us had us record wise looking at the schedule just not the path we took. Most people had us beating Texans , losing to jags , losing to chiefs , beating titans , losing to broncos. Cause all the offseason talk was how good the AFC west was etc… so by them standards we should be 2-3 so we a half game ahead where most predictions had us lol

I feel bad for him. It seems he was fleeced coming here. "we have a good line to protect you, our running game will take the pressure off of you." 

Not saying those are direct quotes.. but you get what I'm saying. It's like accepting a job thinking you're going to be working at a good place. Then the first couple days is utter and complete chaos. And you're like, this is not what I had in mind..

2 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

I feel bad for him. It seems he was fleeced coming here. "we have a good line to protect you, our running game will take the pressure off of you." 

Not saying those are direct quotes.. but you get what I'm saying. It's like accepting a job thinking you're going to be working at a good place. Then the first couple days is utter and complete chaos. And you're like, this is not what I had in mind..

Fault is not off his shoulders either.

He can and will play better.

Crazy, I know, but I rewatched the Denver game..  I'm now wondering how many more weeks Ryan has.  The offense is so bad currently, Ryan is so bad that if it continues, he will get benched.  The only questions are, playing at this level, how many more weeks does Ryan have and who do you turn to, Foles or Ehlinger?  If Ryan doesn't do a 180, both Foles and Ehlinger might see action by the end of the season.

Ryan does need to play better and as someone else said, he is a bit shell shocked from an o line that is a revolving door. But that is no excuse for horrible interceptions. I'm not talking about a guy jumping a route. Its him  not seeing a guy sitting directly in a route and seemingly throwing it right to them.

The very same issue that is affecting Ryan's play is also affecting the running game. The Colts have one of the best running backs in the league but the offense can't get enough push to create running lanes.

Fix the O-line and both the running game and the Qb will improve. When Ryan doesn't feel like he has to carry the entire game cause the running game is working, then things will improve. RPO only works when you can effectively run the ball.

46 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

He absolutely thrives in no huddle. Let’s just do that more often please. Toss the friggin’ playbook and just play ball. Might actually catch the Jags off guard…

I swear, if we come out “run, run, pass”-ing through the entire first half (AGAIN!!) I’m going to flip the table!

2 hours ago, w87r said:

Context is important.

Fumbles retained don't count as turnovers but how many of them were drive stoppers? There ought to be a separate category.

5 hours ago, w87r said:

Context is important.

I was counting any fumble not just fumbles that were recovered by the defense . I think it’s important to count them as well because it shows how careless he has been .  All he has to do is protect the football and put up like 250 yards a game and we can win games .  Our defense is killing it this year we don’t need a Mahomes to win games just stop being careless 

53 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

I was counting any fumble not just fumbles that were recovered by the defense . I think it’s important to count them as well because it shows how careless he has been .  All he has to do is protect the football and put up like 250 yards a game and we can win games .  Our defense is killing it this year we don’t need a Mahomes to win games just stop being careless 

It is important to count them. Just not as turnovers.

Here is his fumble retained breakdown:

1. Jags fumble retained - 2nd down - drive didn't extend

2. 1st Texans fumble retained - 2nd down- drive didn't extend

3. 2nd Texans fumble retained - 2nd down - drive didn't extend

4. 3rd Texans fumble retained - 1st down - extended drive afterward

5. Chiefs fumble retained - 4th and 1, being sacked

6. Titans fumble retained - 2nd 12 sack - drive not extended

7. 1st Broncos fumble retained - 1st down - FG before half

8. 2nd Broncos fumble retained - 1st down - drive extended and FG at end

So:

4 drives that ended on that set of downs, still had down(s) to try and get yardage back afterwards

3 that had drives extended afterward. New set of downs. (Inconsequential, outside stat counting)

1. On 4th down sack that really didn't matter outside stat counting. Was a turnover on downs on sack.

3 hours ago, Hammer said:

Fumbles retained don't count as turnovers but how many of them were drive stoppers? There ought to be a separate category.

See above.

Most definitely.

They can't be used and counted as a turnover though.

So there is the numbers:

7ints

2 great DL plays

2 down 24-0 with 5:00 left in the 4th

11fmbles

3 lost(turnovers)

4 retained - that drive ended after that set of downs - still had shot afterwards

3 retained - that drive was extended

1 retained - on 4th down sack(turnover on downs if there is no fumble)

10 actual turnovers

2ints of which meant nothing as the game(Jags) was over and just trying to make something happen. 2ints that a DL just really made a great play.

On 10/7/2022 at 3:07 PM, BlackTiger said:

They could cut him if they want to.  the cap hit is high but not outside the realm of possibility

The eagles took one almost that big to get rid of carson, we took a big one when Luck retired too.  It would hurt but its doable 

When Luck retired , we didn't have those 2 huge contracts for Leonard and Nelson. Yes they could cut him but no doubt next year gets pretty messy if we cut Ryan. 

Matt Ryan is playing the best he can behind a horrible bunch of wusses called an O-line.

The main problem seems to be that he holds the ball too long because nobody is open...need to design shorter faster routes for the WRs and TEs and always have a safety valve near by NOT named Hines. We can get rid of Hines any time without losing anything on O.

I see a lot of people blaming Ryan’s poor play on the OL. Maybe that is partly true.  I’m taking the stance that Ryan and the OL are both underperforming right along with Reich calling bad games. This entire offense is struggling but there is enough good I think they will figure it out. 

7 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I see a lot of people blaming Ryan’s poor play on the OL. Maybe that is partly true.  I’m taking the stance that Ryan and the OL are both underperforming right along with Reich calling bad games. This entire offense is struggling but there is enough good I think they will figure it out. 

This is true but fix the line and most of Ryan’s issues go away.  Notice I said most not all.  He had two bone head INTs he had no one to blame but himself on Thursday as well.  Still fix the line and get him a running game and he’s going to have time and stop fumbling.  When he’s had time he’s been pretty good.

27 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

This is true but fix the line and most of Ryan’s issues go away.  Notice I said most not all.  He had two bone head INTs he had no one to blame but himself on Thursday as well.  Still fix the line and get him a running game and he’s going to have time and stop fumbling.  When he’s had time he’s been pretty good.

Yeah he has good moments.  While I agree the OL needs to improve, I feel it is much deeper of an issue. 

On 10/7/2022 at 12:21 PM, chad72 said:

Colts - from Irsay to Reich to Ballard, it is live or die with Matt Ryan and too much is riding for their pride, their job security and the team success for the Matt Ryan experiment to work. So, trust me, they will do whatever it takes to get it fixed. I do sense a greater urgency this year with moves being made faster (benching Pinter at RG, shuffling OL etc.) to get things changed. 

As much as it pains some fans, Reich and Ballard will have this entire year to see it play out, that is just how Irsay works. In the long scheme of things, that is the right thing to do. 

Irsay needs to focus on who is responsible for coaching this terrible OL,  HC, OC, Strausser and fix it.

On 10/7/2022 at 2:22 PM, Nesjan3 said:

I dont think its that simple, maybe Franks play calls are not designed that way. Either way Ryan has been bad at turning it over but in general he is not been as terrible as many are making it out to be. He is top 5 in passing yards lol, while being destroyed by defenses. He is under pressure pretty much every single play.

These Ryan bashers need to, #1 watch the games  #2 focus on the OL.

On 10/7/2022 at 5:56 PM, Boondoggle said:

Colts need to back defenses off.  In order to do that they will require better protections and at some point Ryan will need to hurt them down the field.

So the key for him as the OL rounds into form is ensuring he is being careful with the ball.  If you dispense the football to the defense at the first sign of pressure, which he has done so far this season, you invite more blitzes and defenses playing on their toes. 

Then as things begin to settle in he should start hitting some deep routes and get the safeties thinking defensively.  This is going to take some time, generally at least two or three games of putting up good tape to change the equation.

But in this league if you don't have enough threat in your QB/wideouts to stretch the field vertically you're handing defenses a big advantage where they essentially go redzone on you the entirety of the field.  Which makes it tough to succeed.  So hitting on the schemed shots becomes really important.  Those are the ones you cook up based on a given defense's tendencies, where you know there's a good chance you can get a wideout into space deep.  But again they will need to start with getting the protections figured out because Ryan is less capable than most when he's feeling the heat.  He's very much a rhythm thrower and needs that footwork leading to the throw to dial him in.

You made several great points. You eventually have to get the line fixed enough so you can stretch the field as you mentioned. Defenses are smart and will keep coming after Ryan until we can prove we can protect him on a consistent basis. I am not sure that is problem the Colts can fix anytime soon. On top of that, I am not real sure who are deep threat is on this roster that can stretch the field and keep those defenses honest. Ideally, that would be Campbell with his speed, but he has not proven yet that he can be that guy on a regular basis. The Colts may have to sign or trade for a guy to fill that role. So far, Ballard has been really reluctant to make big moves for WR's. Sadly, I don't see that changing but I hope I am wrong.

Too many people giving up on Matt Ryan IMO. Lets see what happens when he plays the Jags and Tennessee again, if he stinks it up there than people have a point. This isn't a 5 game season and we are 2-2-1 which is respectable. We all know with Wentz we would be worse with the way Taylor has played. Taylor was Superman last year which helped Wentz be efficient at times and look good at times. Ryan has not had that at all with the exception of the Houston game where Taylor was great in the 2nd half.

On 10/8/2022 at 7:59 AM, #12. said:

Crazy, I know, but I rewatched the Denver game..  I'm now wondering how many more weeks Ryan has.  The offense is so bad currently, Ryan is so bad that if it continues, he will get benched.  The only questions are, playing at this level, how many more weeks does Ryan have and who do you turn to, Foles or Ehlinger?  If Ryan doesn't do a 180, both Foles and Ehlinger might see action by the end of the season.

Colts DVOA is worse in the league.  That says it all.

44 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Too many people giving up on Matt Ryan IMO. Lets see what happens when he plays the Jags and Tennessee again, if he stinks it up there than people have a point. This isn't a 5 game season and we are 2-2-1 which is respectable. We all know with Wentz we would be worse with the way Taylor has played. Taylor was Superman last year which helped Wentz be efficient at times and look good at times. Ryan has not had that at all with the exception of the Houston game where Taylor was great in the 2nd half.

LOL.  Denying the reality we have already seen.  Insanity is expecting the same thing over and over again while waiting for a new outcome.  You my friend define it.  Your expectations set your table of biases.  Ryan and the OL are your blindspot.  

Archived