Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Matt Ryan

Bert Johns

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

No Taylor tonight, Matt played a good game overall. Some don't see it like that but he was being real conservative. Through 5 games at 2-2-1, I will take it. We will be 100% healthy when we play Jacks again and this was a huge win for the players moving forward as in now this gives us hope.

100 percent healthy for the upcoming J’Ville game?   On which planet?

Even if they play, Taylor and Leonard are not going to be 100 percent.  Tonight, it looks like Paye got hurt badly.  I don’t know about Dulin and R.Kelly?   Hines may or may not be back?   

I don’t see how you conclude 100 percent tonight.   We are a long way from knowing anything.    

You never apologize for wins, but man was that ugly. Lindsey had flashes and even Jackson had a couple decent runs but man that o line is still bad. Ryan played his worst game of the season and we somehow still won with him playing poorly, no Taylor, and Hines getting hurt on the 1st series. All of this against what some call an elite d in Denver. I’ll take that all day long. Go Colts!

Maybe thinking the last drive of regulation and the OT drive....but the play calls helped keep the defense at bay, and Matt finally got the ball out quickly.  I realize it's a combination of things, and hopefully it all comes together (soon!), but getting the ball out quickly will help things dramatically.  Defenses are teeing off, knowing they'll have time to get to him, and DB's are sticking to their coverages, knowing Matt is not much of a threat to take off. 

3 hours ago, Breeze said:

Maybe thinking the last drive of regulation and the OT drive....but the play calls helped keep the defense at bay, and Matt finally got the ball out quickly.  I realize it's a combination of things, and hopefully it all comes together (soon!), but getting the ball out quickly will help things dramatically.  Defenses are teeing off, knowing they'll have time to get to him, and DB's are sticking to their coverages, knowing Matt is not much of a threat to take off. 

Colts - from Irsay to Reich to Ballard, it is live or die with Matt Ryan and too much is riding for their pride, their job security and the team success for the Matt Ryan experiment to work. So, trust me, they will do whatever it takes to get it fixed. I do sense a greater urgency this year with moves being made faster (benching Pinter at RG, shuffling OL etc.) to get things changed. 

As much as it pains some fans, Reich and Ballard will have this entire year to see it play out, that is just how Irsay works. In the long scheme of things, that is the right thing to do. 

It really makes me wonder how well people even know football when Ryan is getting bashed the way he is. He has had an issue fumbling and a couple bad INT's but he has been moving the ball, especially is clutch times. He is getting destroyed by our disgusting Oline play. A Brady, Montana, Manning hybrid super quarterback couldn't do much better behind this Oline. Were on pace to set records in the sacks allowed department.

2 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

It really makes me wonder how well people even know football when Ryan is getting bashed the way he is. He has had an issue fumbling and a couple bad INT's but he has been moving the ball, especially is clutch times. He is getting destroyed by our disgusting Oline play. A Brady, Montana, Manning hybrid super quarterback couldn't do much better behind this Oline. Were on pace to set records in the sacks allowed department.

Our Line has been awful so has the WR room outside of Pitt and Pierce. Matt being 2-2-1 is a miracle, I will take it. Our defense has played great to their credit which has helped. Wilson looked putrid last night.

29 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Our Line has been awful so has the WR room outside of Pitt and Pierce. Matt being 2-2-1 is a miracle, I will take it. Our defense has played great to their credit which has helped. Wilson looked putrid last night.

Chris Jones and Russell Wilson have saved the Colts season so far. Frank says thanks to them. 

40 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Peyton has played behind worse lines and made them look elite because he doesn’t hold the ball for forever

3 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Peyton has played behind worse lines and made them look elite because he doesn’t hold the ball for forever

Yah ok what worse Oline has Peyton ever played behind. He never had an Oline allow 21 sacks in 5 games. Never happened sorry.

Just now, runthepost said:

Yeah because he didn’t hold the ball forever. His line didn’t have an all pro or 3 pro bowlers 

Dont matter if we have Olineman who were has beens in previous years. Right now they are the worst line in the league. We have been sacked the most, have the least average amount of time to throw in the league. Bottom ten rushing offense in the league. If you can't see that and just want to blame the QB I dont know what to tell you man. Dont be blind.

Just now, Nesjan3 said:

Dont matter if we have Olineman who were has beens in previous years. Right now they are the worst line in the league. We have been sacked the most, have the least average amount of time to throw in the league. Bottom ten rushing offense in the league. If you can't see that and just want to blame the QB I dont know what to tell you man. Dont be blind.

Who said I was blaming the QB? I said Manning has played behind a worse line. If you know the line is bad throw the ball quick, Peyton has done it, Rivers did it, Brady currently is doing it with 4 backups. Ryan has no excuse

5 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Who said I was blaming the QB? I said Manning has played behind a worse line. If you know the line is bad throw the ball quick, Peyton has done it, Rivers did it, Brady currently is doing it with 4 backups. Ryan has no excuse

I dont think its that simple, maybe Franks play calls are not designed that way. Either way Ryan has been bad at turning it over but in general he is not been as terrible as many are making it out to be. He is top 5 in passing yards lol, while being destroyed by defenses. He is under pressure pretty much every single play.

Just now, Nesjan3 said:

I dont think its that simple, maybe Franks play calls are not designed that way. Either way Ryan has been bad at turning it over but in general he is not been as terrible as many are making it out to be. He is top 5 in passing yards lol, while being destroyed by defenses. He is under pressure pretty much every single play.

He’s pulling a Jameis. First in yards and First in Turnovers

This is not what I was hoping for. By far. The line isn’t helping him out any, but even if he figures it out and gets it put together, I think I’ve seen enough. I’d rather move on after the season. This just isn’t it to me. 

Had high hopes, but now I’ve just got empty expectations. 

It’s time to pay what it costs to move up and draft the guy. :dunno:

This line would get prime Mike Vick killed.

It's like they're getting worse each week.

Ryan isn't lightening it up but man for an almost 40 yr old QB he ain't doing to bad. Although debatable I think some of those bone headed throws are basically prayer throws.

14 hours ago, krunk said:

Some of these short throws and crossing routes i observed are wide open if hed get the ball out of his hands quick enough so the receiver can get RAC yards. He passes those up and then forces whats left into a crowd to be picked off. Or since he missed the quick read he becomes a statue in the pocket and gets sacked. Or he fumbles.

Agree

That was the diference with P. Rivers, he was fast and accurate on crossing.

15 hours ago, dw49 said:

Looks like we're going to take it on the chin next year as he has a cap hit of 35 mill

He will be released at the end of the season regardless they’re not gonna pay him $35 million. We’ll see if we can draft or trade for a quarterback other than that Foles will be the starting quarterback next year

11 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Based on the eye test Sam would do better than Matt currently is.

I have had the same thought but only because Sam would not be a statue back there. Defenses are either going after Ryan because they know our line cannot protect him, or they are playing straight-up in coverage knowing he won't run anywhere. This makes it easy for most defenses to defend this offense. Having a QB who could run would make it more complicated for the opposing defenses.

Even though Ryan is a seasoned veteran, it is clear that he is shell-shocked out there with pass protection breaking down on about every play. This is no doubt contributing to the uncharacteristic fumbles and turnovers. This wears on even the best QB's in the league. A player who is essentially a rookie QB would face his own challenges with relentless pressure. Ryan is way more mechanical and slow getting the ball out of his hands then I thought he would be. Some of this is scheme. The coach and OC are scheming plays like they believe our line is still good. As long as they keep that approach our offense and QB will continue to struggle.

More quick hitters are necessary. More of Ryan in the shotgun and spreading the defense out by consistently using 3-4 WR/TE sets is needed (including Hines and Taylor when healthy). The spread hurry-up offense is basically what we did in the 4th quarter and OT. This approach will also keep us out of the constant 3rd and longs that we lived in the first 3/4 of the game. We all know what happens to this line and Ryan on 3rd and long.

I think this is why we continue to start most games slowly. The coaching staff still believes that with a few tweaks that this line will be solid again. Therefore they keep the same slow-developing schemes in place. Admit the line is trash and scheme to compensate for it until it improves. Get your weapons out in space and make the defenses adjust. This will make it harder for defenses to just stack the box all the time and bring the extra subsequent pressure that comes with it.

51 minutes ago, philba101 said:

I have had the same thought but only because Sam would not be a statue back there. Defenses are either going after Ryan because they know our line cannot protect him, or they are playing straight-up in coverage knowing he won't run anywhere. This makes it easy for most defenses to defend this offense. Having a QB who could run would make it more complicated for the opposing defenses.

Even though Ryan is a seasoned veteran, it is clear that he is shell-shocked out there with pass protection breaking down on about every play. This is no doubt contributing to the uncharacteristic fumbles and turnovers. This wears on even the best QB's in the league. A player who is essentially a rookie QB would face his own challenges with relentless pressure. Ryan is way more mechanical and slow getting the ball out of his hands then I thought he would be. Some of this is scheme. The coach and OC are scheming plays like they believe our line is still good. As long as they keep that approach our offense and QB will continue to struggle.

More quick hitters are necessary. More of Ryan in the shotgun and spreading the defense out by consistently using 3-4 WR/TE sets is needed (including Hines and Taylor when healthy). The spread hurry-up offense is basically what we did in the 4th quarter and OT. This approach will also keep us out of the constant 3rd and longs that we lived in the first 3/4 of the game. We all know what happens to this line and Ryan on 3rd and long.

I think this is why we continue to start most games slowly. The coaching staff still believes that with a few tweaks that this line will be solid again. Therefore they keep the same slow-developing schemes in place. Admit the line is trash and scheme to compensate for it until it improves. Get your weapons out in space and make the defenses adjust. This will make it harder for defenses to just stack the box all the time and bring the extra subsequent pressure that comes with it.

If line doesnt improve Sam or Foles will be starting before long

1 hour ago, philba101 said:

Colts need to back defenses off.  In order to do that they will require better protections and at some point Ryan will need to hurt them down the field.

So the key for him as the OL rounds into form is ensuring he is being careful with the ball.  If you dispense the football to the defense at the first sign of pressure, which he has done so far this season, you invite more blitzes and defenses playing on their toes. 

Then as things begin to settle in he should start hitting some deep routes and get the safeties thinking defensively.  This is going to take some time, generally at least two or three games of putting up good tape to change the equation.

But in this league if you don't have enough threat in your QB/wideouts to stretch the field vertically you're handing defenses a big advantage where they essentially go redzone on you the entirety of the field.  Which makes it tough to succeed.  So hitting on the schemed shots becomes really important.  Those are the ones you cook up based on a given defense's tendencies, where you know there's a good chance you can get a wideout into space deep.  But again they will need to start with getting the protections figured out because Ryan is less capable than most when he's feeling the heat.  He's very much a rhythm thrower and needs that footwork leading to the throw to dial him in.

3 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

He will be released at the end of the season regardless they’re not gonna pay him $35 million. We’ll see if we can draft or trade for a quarterback other than that Foles will be the starting quarterback next year

Not that simple as a whole lot of that money is guaranteed.

6 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Not that simple as a whole lot of that money is guaranteed.

They could cut him if they want to.  the cap hit is high but not outside the realm of possibility

The eagles took one almost that big to get rid of carson, we took a big one when Luck retired too.  It would hurt but its doable 

Archived