Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Alec Pierce is Legit.


Stephen
 Share

Recommended Posts

 

He is good so far in deeper stuff and in slant-ish stuff.

His route tree is still sloppy when requires cuts/breaks. 

His success so far is mostly stuff he did well in college, and due to raw measurables. 

Will be good, but needs time/patience. 

Need earlier (game) usage with CFB like routes. 

 

8 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Not sure why he wasnt used in first half of titans game but he is looking like best rookie wr since hilton

 

Pretty obvious IMO. Wasn't used until we were down lol, and needed deeper opportunity. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey, I’m for putting guys out there to learn. There’s no better teacher than reps. 
 

He’s hanging in there right now. He’s definitely trending the right direction. He’s earning the opportunity after the sluggish start. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

How’s the pre-season rookie of the year / guy the Colts made a mistake in not drafting and trading back to draft Alec instead George Pickens doing?

 

To be fair, (Alec vs George) stats are almost same.

And Pitt has a far worse QB and passing O. 

Pitt is bottom 5 in passing (YPG). While Indy is top 10. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

How’s the pre-season rookie of the year / guy the Colts made a mistake in not drafting and trading back to draft Alec instead George Pickens doing?

Isn't hindsight (esp a whopping 4 games into the year) beautiful?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, EastStreet said:

 

He is good so far in deeper stuff and in slant-ish stuff.

His route tree is still sloppy when requires cuts/breaks. 

His success so far is mostly stuff he did well in college, and due to raw measurables. 

Will be good, but needs time/patience. 

Need earlier (game) usage with CFB like routes. 

 

 

Pretty obvious IMO. Wasn't used until we were down lol, and needed deeper opportunity. 

Then use him for what he does well! Let him get better on the field. I don’t get Reich’s philosophy of not using good players until they know they system through and through. So much wasted talent. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Solid84 said:

Then use him for what he does well! Let him get better on the field. I don’t get Reich’s philosophy of not using good players until they know they system through and through. So much wasted talent. 


Not using players as much until they know the system isn’t a Frank Reich thing.   It’s what most coaches do.  
 

Young players who don’t know the system make more mental mistakes.   Much more. Coaches try not to overwhelm young players by giving them too much too soon.    Players earn more time and trust by succeeding with a smaller sample size.   
 

Young players who are playing a lot are more the exception than the rule.  But you read more about them,  they’re the success stories.  But the vast majority of rooks start small and work their way into more. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Thunderbolt said:

Kind of reminds me of Cooper Kupp.  

Similar builds. Pierce is faster, Kupp is quicker. Kupp is a billion times better at running routes, as he should be since he's an established vet/all world wide receiver. Hopefully Pierce gets to Kupps level over the course of the next couple of seasons 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, TheMiz said:

Similar builds. Pierce is faster, Kupp is quicker. Kupp is a billion times better at running routes, as he should be since he's an established vet/all world wide receiver. Hopefully Pierce gets to Kupps level over the course of the next couple of seasons 

I’m just hoping he’s better then parris 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, IrsaysArmy said:

I’m just hoping he’s better then parris 

 

Pierce 

7 catches for 141 yards 

20.1 avg 

He has the longest play of the Colts season this year at 44 yds

 

Campbell 

9 catches for 90 yards

10.0 avg 

Longest play 20 yds

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

 

Pierce 

7 catches for 141 yards 

20.1 avg 

He has the longest play of the Colts season this year at 44 yds

 

Campbell 

9 catches for 90 yards

10.0 avg 

Longest play 20 yds

Also, to add to this, Campbell is in his 4th year and Pierce is in his 1st year.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

 

Pierce 

7 catches for 141 yards 

20.1 avg 

He has the longest play of the Colts season this year at 44 yds

 

Campbell 

9 catches for 90 yards

10.0 avg 

Longest play 20 yds


On how many targets? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

I like them 50-50 balls to him. But like someone, wasn't that his strength in college? He's got good athleticism to go up and high point the ball.

 

I don't know who he reminds me of yet. But it ain't Kupp :lol:


He’s a little more possession type WR like Donovan Peoples Jones with a limited route tree. He could evolve to an Alshon Jeffrey type but his best fit is outside as he doesn’t have the 3 cone numbers or jukes to beat guys inside at the NFL level consistently like Kupp or Edelman.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Indy87 said:


On how many targets? 

I bolded them for you 

 

Pierce 

7 catches for 141 yards (13 targets) 

20.1 avg 

He has the longest play of the Colts season this year at 44 yds

 

Campbell 

9 catches for 90 yards (12 targets) 

10.0 avg 

Longest play 20 yds

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, the Cooper Kupp comparison is not a good one. Pierce doesn't have nearly the twitch in his route running that Kupp has and likely never will. However, I think Pierce has the tools to become a more physically dominating receiver than Kupp. Both can be incredibly effective in the NFL, but they different animals. Let's just let the kid figure it out. He is four games into a promising rookie season with a lot of development still to be had. I am excited to see a passing offense built around, Pitt, Pierce and another promising rookie, Jelani Woods. While it is different than much of the NFL, which is trending toward smaller, speedier receivers, I think this can be quite effective.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

I bolded them for you 

 

Pierce 

7 catches for 141 yards (13 targets) 

20.1 avg 

He has the longest play of the Colts season this year at 44 yds

 

Campbell 

9 catches for 90 yards (12 targets) 

10.0 avg 

Longest play 20 yds

 

To me, 9 out of 12 for a 10 yd average seems really good for a guy most seem to want sent packing.  Find a way to use Pittman, Pierce, and Campbell together- with Woods and Grayson, and Colts should be dangerous. IF the Line can give even a semblance of protection!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, jimmy g said:

To me, 9 out of 12 for a 10 yd average seems really good for a guy most seem to want sent packing.  Find a way to use Pittman, Pierce, and Campbell together- with Woods and Grayson, and Colts should be dangerous. IF the Line can give even a semblance of protection!


it all comes down to the line or lack there of. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, jimmy g said:

To me, 9 out of 12 for a 10 yd average seems really good for a guy most seem to want sent packing.  Find a way to use Pittman, Pierce, and Campbell together- with Woods and Grayson, and Colts should be dangerous. IF the Line can give even a semblance of protection!

Nah that is bad especially considering campbell is faster than pierce

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Indy87 said:


it all comes down to the line or lack there of. 

Now the talk is firing Strausser. Go back to when Charles Leno wanted to come here because of Strausser, but Ballard had a connection to Eric Fisher.  Leno has a new contract, and Fisher is out of the League.

 

Looks like no one realized how valuable Glowinski was to this line?

1 minute ago, Stephen said:

Nah that is bad especially considering campbell is faster than pierce

9 out of 12 for a 10 yd avg is Bad?????

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, jimmy g said:

Now the talk is firing Strausser. Go back to when Charles Leno wanted to come here because of Strausser, but Ballard had a connection to Eric Fisher.  Leno has a new contract, and Fisher is out of the League.

 

Looks like no one realized how valuable Glowinski was to this line?

9 out of 12 for a 10 yd avg is Bad?????

Campbell should be having a 17 plus average given his speed. It shows he isnt being used right.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, jonjon said:

Isn't hindsight (esp a whopping 4 games into the year) beautiful?

 

I think it was you that I argued with that Pierce was going to take some time and to not expect him to start at all this year.  Boy was I wrong!  Pleasantly so.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

 

Pierce 

7 catches for 141 yards 

20.1 avg 

He has the longest play of the Colts season this year at 44 yds

 

Campbell 

9 catches for 90 yards

10.0 avg 

Longest play 20 yds

I want Paris to succeed.   Seems like most people have given up on him.  He does have the best separation rate among the receivers.  So he is getting open.  I’m thinking he needs more time with Ryan.   Pierce is on the right track.  He is the new shiny toy but Campbell is no slouch if he can stay healthy.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, EastStreet said:

 

He is good so far in deeper stuff and in slant-ish stuff.

His route tree is still sloppy when requires cuts/breaks. 

His success so far is mostly stuff he did well in college, and due to raw measurables. 

Will be good, but needs time/patience. 

Need earlier (game) usage with CFB like routes. 

 

 

Pretty obvious IMO. Wasn't used until we were down lol, and needed deeper opportunity. 

 

Yep. Same stuff as college. Jump balls and 50/50 balls. 

 

1/3 of his yards came on a deep underthrow where the CB slipped. That's prob a true 50/50 ball without the slip.

 

I think he can be a good deep threat in the NFL with his measureables, like an MVS type player, but he's still very raw as an all-around WR. Where is Denzel Mims these days?

 

But no reason to judge him after 3 games haha. This fanbase loves to anoint rookies as legit if they make a play or two. I mean... people still think Julian Blackmon is a dynamic player.

 

Let's see what happens when he's not lining up against Caleb Farley.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jimmy g said:

Now the talk is firing Strausser. Go back to when Charles Leno wanted to come here because of Strausser, but Ballard had a connection to Eric Fisher.  Leno has a new contract, and Fisher is out of the League.

 

Looks like no one realized how valuable Glowinski was to this line?

9 out of 12 for a 10 yd avg is Bad?????


reed was better than what we have and we let both walk. Glow wanted to be in his home state of Minnesota I believe so it wasn’t about money. 
 

but we could have had reed. I’ll never be on board with the MOC signing at TE. He’s an ok blocker but he’s too slow for the swing block that JT loves so much. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

I want Paris to succeed.   Seems like most people have given up on him.  He does have the best separation rate among the receivers.  So he is getting open.  I’m thinking he needs more time with Ryan.   Pierce is on the right track.  He is the new shiny toy but Campbell is no slouch if he can stay healthy.

 

We ALL do boss

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jimmy g said:

To me, 9 out of 12 for a 10 yd average seems really good for a guy most seem to want sent packing.  Find a way to use Pittman, Pierce, and Campbell together- with Woods and Grayson, and Colts should be dangerous. IF the Line can give even a semblance of protection!

 

I agree completely.

 

The talent is there. 

 

The coaching isn't

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Stephen said:

Not sure why he wasnt used in first half of titans game but he is looking like best rookie wr since hilton

Because his best use so far is the deeper stuff, and there is not much reason to go deep in the beginning of games.  Wait until he develops more and he should have 85% of the snaps from the opposite boundary as Pitt.

 

Most NFL teams stay conservative until they can't be.....Ryan's turnovers putting us behind when the offense was otherwise moving the ball.  Unless you're the old Manning Colts who wanted the ball at the beginning to jump on teams 7-0 or 14-0 right away.  But the entire team was built that way from offensive personnel to defensive pass rush/light on the run defense. 

 

This team is built to be conservative all the way though to the final whistle...if they can...not to waste downs by being aggressive early.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I want Paris to succeed.   Seems like most people have given up on him.  He does have the best separation rate among the receivers.  So he is getting open.  I’m thinking he needs more time with Ryan.   Pierce is on the right track.  He is the new shiny toy but Campbell is no slouch if he can stay healthy.

I don't think he has the hands to be great.  He may get open but he drops a lot.  At least that is my recollection of last year at TN.  I feel like he costs us that game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...