Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Colts' Offense is NOT Broken......

Bolt Colt

Historically speaking, the worst offenses in the league are the ones that struggle to throw the ball with any consistency and ones that simply fail at moving the ball from point A to point B. The Colts, weirdly, aren't necessarily struggling in either department.

Good read: https://www.si.com/nfl/colts/news/colts-offense-not-broken

Its time to get the offense out of the funk!

This sentence from that article sums it up: 

"The Indianapolis Colts offense is being weighed down severely by their pass protection and by turnovers."

And the pass protection is responsible for a lot of those turnovers.

So it comes down to fixing that overpaid O Line.  Can it be done?

6 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

"The Indianapolis Colts offense is being weighed down severely by their pass protection and by turnovers."

Of all people's jobs, Strausser's job's seat is the hottest right now, IMO. This is mainly because our history with the same Johnnys and Joes has showed the level our current personnel has been able to play before.

Maybe Strausser has been watching too much Spanish bull fighting and has taught Matador lessons of letting the bull rushes go, lol :) 

14 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Of all people's jobs, Strausser's job's seat is the hottest right now, IMO. This is mainly because our history with the same Johnnys and Joes has showed the level our current personnel has been able to play before.

This^^^^^^. In spite of all the other problems that have beaten to death on this forum, if they can get the oline to even play a little better and get the skill players to simply stop putting the ball on the field, this team is at least 2-2, if not 3-1, and this season looks a lot different. Sadly, they have accomplished none of this so far, but this is the reason I'm not even close to giving up on this season. These two things are not outside our reach to get things turned around.

56 minutes ago, Bolt Colt said:

Historically speaking, the worst offenses in the league are the ones that struggle to throw the ball with any consistency and ones that simply fail at moving the ball from point A to point B. The Colts, weirdly, aren't necessarily struggling in either department.

Good read: https://www.si.com/nfl/colts/news/colts-offense-not-broken

Its time to get the offense out of the funk!

To get out of the funk Frank will have to make personnel changes which he is historically slow at doing which is why we normally finish years stronger than we start. Frank need to start having a shorter lease with players 

The passing offense is starting to show great improvement, when Ryan is given time.  If the OL  could improve thier execution/consistency this offense could possibly take off. Ryan maybe needs more input to scheme/playcalling/option to chg calls. His hurry up offense is really good.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Maybe Strausser has been watching too much Spanish bull fighting and has taught Matador lessons of letting the bull rushes go, lol :) 

I would not exclusively point to a coach.  It's possible that since Braden Smith was originally drafted to be a G but has played RT there pretty well out of necessity at the time, he may be coming back to earth and needs to be moved inside.

And there are some traits about Pryor to suggest he is a G too.

Just saying that any coach might have a hard time with an oline that is comprised of only Gs and Cs at their traitsy roots, not that Pryor and Smith have been the cause for most of the issues...but moving Smith inside would solve some things at RG and RT.

Overall, this is the 5th game of the season and I never expected the rookies to have much impact this early.  Its like putting Ryan into the same situation Wentz was in last year, only Ryan has to start from scratch again.

The running game and the turnovers are the issues, and that's what's different from last year, IMO.   

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

And trying to force RUNS. especially up the middle.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Really the only game we completely stunk in was the Jags game. I hate playing at that place. I think they put something in our water lmao 

I have said this over and over. With the revolving door at QB its rough on everybody and i also think the revolving door on the OLINE is an issue also. 

21 minutes ago, strt182 said:

I have said this over and over. With the revolving door at QB its rough on everybody and i also think the revolving door on the OLINE is an issue also. 

Come on now, let’s be fair.  Who would have guessed that starting a 6th round draft pick, who played Guard for most of his career, wouldn’t be the answer at LT?

Its not like the Colts had that much cap space to spend in free agency.  

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

I would not exclusively point to a coach.  It's possible that since Braden Smith was originally drafted to be a G but has played RT there pretty well out of necessity at the time, he may be coming back to earth and needs to be moved inside.

And there are some traits about Pryor to suggest he is a G too.

Just saying that any coach might have a hard time with an oline that is comprised of only Gs and Cs at their traitsy roots, not that Pryor and Smith have been the cause for most of the issues...but moving Smith inside would solve some things at RG and RT.

So those "traitsy roots" were playing "out of traitsy character" before to overachieve and do something they weren't capable of before and suddenly went back to their "traitsy" self again? That doesn't make much sense. This is not them having the yips, man.

Pryor is actually improving as the games have gone on, to be honest. That is why we took some baby steps on pass offense vs the Titans. The true question is, if they can put a complete game together instead of just a quarter or two on offense.

46 minutes ago, chad72 said:

So those "traitsy roots" were playing "out of traitsy character" before to overachieve and do something they weren't capable of before and suddenly went back to their "traitsy" self again? That doesn't make much sense. This is not them having the yips, man.

Pryor is actually improving as the games have gone on, to be honest. That is why we took some baby steps on pass offense vs the Titans. The true question is, if they can put a complete game together instead of just a quarter or two on offense.

Well, the yips would apply to Smith only.  Players develop to their ceiling, then level off, then have good and bad years. 

Pryor may simply not be suited to OT but gets by well enough against some teams.  

I think the major reason for the decline over the years is going from AC and Glow to Pryor and young Pinter, with whatever Smith has been dealing with thrown in.  I don't think that coaching is gonna turn Pryor into AC or Pinter into Glow.

3 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

ALL teams run about 50 % of runs up the gut.

Frank is more like 90. Rarely do they bounce out successfully. And our bubble screens stink.

Doyle and Pascal were much better than what we are getting.

I can't remember the last time a bubble screen we ran went for than 20 yards. Other teams do it and it goes for 50 Screaming Homer Simpson GIF

44 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I can't remember the last time a bubble screen we ran went for than 20 yards. Other teams do it and it goes for 50 Screaming Homer Simpson GIF

It’s because in order for a bubble screen to work, we have to actually have players get in the path of their players.  Normally I don’t even see any of ours within 10 yards.

11 minutes ago, Catloaf said:

It’s because in order for a bubble screen to work, we have to actually have players get in the path of their players.  Normally I don’t even see any of ours within 10 yards.

We also do not have a head coach who knows how to scheme to make them work.   It's like the same ol' same ol' on every play each game, not matter what the results are.

On 10/5/2022 at 8:58 AM, Smonroe said:

thank you this has been my concern since pre season

Eric Fisher and Glowinski were far better than what Ballard replaced them with. The result is 3 over paid O Linemen and 2 that aren't good. Maybe Nelson will end up playing to his contract but so far 2022 has been less than stellar. This has to fall on Ballard's shoulders.

On 10/5/2022 at 9:58 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Really the only game we completely stunk in was the Jags game. I hate playing at that place. I think they put something in our water lmao 

Funny you should mention that.  Have you ever been to Jacksonville?  That city has the weirdest tasting tap water I've ever had.  I can still taste it now and I haven't been to Jacksonville in 15 years.

I disagree with the OP.  One of the knocks on Matt was that he has the deer in headlights look.  To me that's exactly what I see. He cannot overcome and average oline and I don't see our oline improving much if any this season. I could be wrong but I just dont see it. Sure we come back strong In the second half but that's only because the other team pulls of the gas. Being a 2nd half qb is not really saying much. Personally I'm rooting for Sam. He is the only QB on the roster that can make something out of nothing.

On 10/5/2022 at 1:24 PM, chad72 said:

Hmmm! Some believe Fries was the biggest difference.

Archived