Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Parris Campbell? hello?

07dleigh

Am I missing something here? If the staff has simply decided that he is not good and can't help this offense, then it's not that crazy, maybe that's what's happened and I'm overthinking it... but that was not the vibe this offseason.

HOW are we not even trying to involve the guy? Why is he not being targeted? How have we given him zero jet sweeps through 4 games? How are we not trying to hit him on quick crossers given the inability to have our deep routes develop?

I'd understand if we were already a highly dynamic offense with no need for solutions, but.. 

We decided to not aggressively target WR and I assumed it was because we were comfortable with Parris as our vet #2 or even #3 behind the rookie if he showed something... he hasn't even been used as that. Did I miss signs that the staff lost trust in him prior to season start, or is this just Frank Reich being egregious?

1 minute ago, buccolts said:

I wish we had an OC, and play caller, who could use the talent available to him.

That would need Reich to give up the play calling he is so horrible at.   Ballard and Irsay need to force him.  

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

That would need Reich to give up the play calling he is so horrible at.   Ballard and Irsay need to force him.  

Maybe this happens this week.. finally. I don't think Irsay is going to be stagnant. It's time to see if Marcus Brady can offer us something better.

2 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

He had his shot when Pittman and Pierce were out and he didn’t do much. He really isn’t going to break out. It’s been 4 years now. If he was good, we’d know by now.

I mean did he really get his shot? I feel like even then we never really tried. That's my point, we haven't tried. It would be different if by this point we had given him a one game re-audition and tried to scheme him up repeatedly, but we haven't.

I admittedly have watched the least amount of real game snaps that I probably ever have through 4 games. Maybe the guy just isn't consistently getting open? Idk.. I don't think so.

Again, we have no speed on offense outside of Campbell and Hines. 

Speed factors into separation more than people might think. It's why @TaylorTheStudMuffinchart shows our corps is average in separation at best. I would argue it's low average. 

Regardless, this *above* coupled with under whelming line play and a QB who can't really buy much time any longer is why our offense is terrible.

It looks great in practice because our defense is terrible too but in real life it's just plain terrible...Ha!!

10 minutes ago, 07dleigh said:

I mean did he really get his shot? I feel like even then we never really tried. That's my point, we haven't tried. It would be different if by this point we had given him a one game re-audition and tried to scheme him up repeatedly, but we haven't.

I admittedly have watched the least amount of real game snaps that I probably ever have through 4 games. Maybe the guy just isn't consistently getting open? Idk.. I don't think so.

Good players show pretty early that they are good. He’s been given ample opportunity when he’s healthy. He’s only good for about 2 catches a game and the. He dissapears. They’re not going to force him on the field. He’s WR4 on this team at best. 

2 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Again, we have no speed on offense outside of Campbell and Hines. 

Speed factors into separation more than people might think. It's why @TaylorTheStudMuffinchart shows our corps is average in separation at best. I would argue it's low average. 

Regardless, this *above* coupled with under whelming line play and a QB who can't really buy much time any longer is why our offense is terrible.

It looks great in practice because our defense is terrible too but in real life it's just plain terrible...Ha!!

Campbell and Dulin are our speed guys. But it doesn't matter if Ryan isn't getting enough time for something to setup or even create something out of nothing. We could have Hill on the Colts and it wouldn't matter with this * poor Oline blocking.

2 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Not sure why people are depending on a player who has 43 career receptions and 2TDs to be better than what he has showed. He’s been badly out produced by other WRs drafted around him

You depend on everyone that's on the field for every play. Reich isn't using him like he should be used.

He was wide open on several plays against the Titans. One especially early on were he was streaking down the middle of the field that would have for sure been a TD and I recall a couple other times he was the deepest man wide open. Once I get time after harvest I'm going to go back and watch the all 22 of games. Between calling terrible routes against different defenses and Ryan missing open  guys I truly don't believe we have near the issue at WR as most believe. I know the eye test at games certainly says so when I've been at the games.

Remember, on that blitz by Devonta Freeman in the SB, Matt Ryan had a guy open and expected Freeman to pick up the Hightower blitz and it didn't happen and a fumble happened? It seems like that keeps happening over and over again with the Colts. If the protection holds up, Matt Ryan can be deadly but terrible if it doesn't, wish he would take the sacks over fumbling, I'd settle for that. Campbell is, I believe, another victim of the same. When your middle gets pushed (center to RT typically) and the QB doesn't get to step up, all seam routes suffer and it is not a co-incidence the guys getting open in the seams, post and middle aren't getting balls. It is the guys going away from the middle, towards the one-third of the field on both sides of the field that are getting the ball typically. On another note, Matt Ryan sees blitzes better from his blind side than his right side, just my observation.

So, either go max. protect till the OL issues are sorted out since shallow routes aren't working as well, only way out is 6 OL or max. protect to go with a few 15-20 yard routes called instead of 8-10 yard routes called. It is sad it has come to this. 

22 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Campbell and Dulin are our speed guys. But it doesn't matter if Ryan isn't getting enough time for something to setup or even create something out of nothing. We could have Hill on the Colts and it wouldn't matter with this * poor Oline blocking.

I remember seeing some designed rollouts for Ryan in earlier games that were effective but I don’t recall any against the Titans.  Can’t do it all the time of course but I bet it would work as a change up to keep them honest.  Need to get creative.  Campbell started off great last year before the injury.   He looks like he’s ready to pick up where he left off before that injury.  Our coaching and game planning is looking very incompetent.

The Titans have a weakness against TEs, hence why our receivers got fewer looks and Cox had a monster game. Campbell had looks, but that's the main reason he wasn't targeted as much. 

Going to be interesting how we go about playing the Broncos... 

Their defense is considered one of the best 2nd half defenses in the league. Very few points get scored on them at that point. So you have to win in the first half. And... Well... We just so happen to have one of the worst first half scoring offenses... Oh boy... 

5 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

The Titans have a weakness against TEs, hence why our receivers got fewer looks and Cox had a monster game. Campbell had looks, but that's the main reason he wasn't targeted as much. 

Going to be interesting how we go about playing the Broncos... 

Their defense is considered one of the best 2nd half defenses in the league. Very few points get scored on them at that point. So you have to win in the first half. And... Well... We just so happen to have one of the worst first half scoring offenses... Oh boy... 

Our D and ST needs to give us a score realistically for us to stay in it then. :thmup:

• 2 weeks later...

On 10/4/2022 at 8:43 AM, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I'm having a hard time understanding the point of tabulating how open receivers are when they are not the targeted receiver.

If they are open as the second or third read, then the QB should not throw the ball to the first read (unless the first read is open too, in which case who cares who else was open on that play).

If the play was called for Parris to be the first read, then the QB should throw him the ball. 

I'm not sure that a stats that includes times that a WR was open when he was not thrown the ball says much of anything, other than if the QB is forcing it to receivers lass open than Parris, he shouldn't do that.  

On 10/4/2022 at 8:17 AM, 07dleigh said:

Am I missing something here? If the staff has simply decided that he is not good and can't help this offense, then it's not that crazy, maybe that's what's happened and I'm overthinking it... but that was not the vibe this offseason.

HOW are we not even trying to involve the guy? Why is he not being targeted? How have we given him zero jet sweeps through 4 games? How are we not trying to hit him on quick crossers given the inability to have our deep routes develop?

I'd understand if we were already a highly dynamic offense with no need for solutions, but.. 

We decided to not aggressively target WR and I assumed it was because we were comfortable with Parris as our vet #2 or even #3 behind the rookie if he showed something... he hasn't even been used as that. Did I miss signs that the staff lost trust in him prior to season start, or is this just Frank Reich being egregious?

I just looked at Campbell’s page….   7 catches this week.   4 catches two weeks ago vs Tenn.   

He’s got 18 catches on the season.   On pace for 51 for the year.   Were you expecting more?    Pittman and Pierce are 1-2 as they should be.   Give it a few more weeks and we might be surprised to the upside….   

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I just looked at Campbell’s page….   7 catches this week.   4 catches two weeks ago vs Tenn.   

He’s got 18 catches on the season.   On pace for 51 for the year.   Were you expecting more?    Pittman and Pierce are 1-2 as they should be.   Give it a few more weeks and we might be surprised to the upside….   

He will be getting more once this offense evolves and Ryan starts using him in the offense.

On 10/18/2022 at 3:26 PM, NewColtsFan said:

I did initially think that Parris would at least start as the 2, and it would be his job to lose to the rookie. I mean besides his position on the depth chart, I was just surprised to see him not being used given how much our offense needed a spark and his ability to be used as a gadget type of guy. I was expecting for us to finally feature him now that he's healthy coming into the season.

On 10/4/2022 at 7:17 AM, 07dleigh said:

Couple of thoughts… And I do realize that your original post (that I am quoting), was a few weeks ago. That said, I had this same conversation with my son, probably around the time you posted this. 

Parris is coming off yet another season ending injury and we’ve all been bummed about it. When we drafted him, he had a very high ceiling. We were stoked about the possibilities. It takes time to come back from injuries. Frank talked about the confidence that was growing in Parris this season. 

Second thought… Every time Parris does well, I will remember what he wrote on Twitter last season. He had just suffered yet another season ending surgery. He posted that he will be back and that he was determined more than ever. The comments from the fans were atrocious. People basically telling him to hang it up, and that everyone was tired of him wasting a roster spot. 

He can play. I hope he stays healthy so he has the opportunity to continue to show his talents. 

Archived