Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2022 PFF: Colts Offense (G4/post-Titans)

EastStreet

10 hours ago, EastStreet said:

When Peyton was here, we were mostly Air Coryell, and had ton of 9 routes each game.

That is far from Reich's scheme.

So really not a comparison. Reich is mostly shallow and possession. 

It's apple vs pineapple 

I am not comparing offensive systems, I am illustrating the preferences of the QBs, how they don't live or rely on 50/50 balls even if they have tall WRs. Rivers, on the other hand threw high more, having gotten used to the VJax, Floyd, Gates type of pass catchers, different kind of passer for the same tall WRs compared to a timing in-step-rhythm passers like Peyton and Ryan though he also threw them open in stride like those two. So just because we have MAC or Woods or real tall pass catchers, don't expect throws like throwing up to Randy Moss to go get it too many times, because Ryan was never that type of passer throughout his life. 

20 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I agree to an extent. 

I'd have both Mo and Woody in 100% when inside 10. Actually inside 20 lol. 

Heck with Woods agility and a "want to lower pads and hit somebody" attitude I'd put him in the backfield with Taylor as a fullback in goal line situations. He's a BAD MAN! 

19 hours ago, chad72 said:

Even with Julio Jones in his prime and Matt Ryan in his prime, Matt rarely threw real high testing his pass catchers’ vertical. He either threw to the outside shoulder or led them ahead. Look at his TD throw to Woods for the game winner throwing him open laterally.

You rarely saw Peyton throw jump balls too, he threw the same way throwing his WRs open towards the pylon, back corner of the end zone, helmet level or leading them once they gained a step. Yes, the occasional high back shoulder throw or helmet level throw is still not technically a 50/50 jump ball to me.

That ball Ryan threw to Julio that got them to FG range before they went backwards in the SB was high helmet level and away towards the sideline requiring a heck of a catch by Julio against excellent coverage using all his wingspan.

Thats why playing with the pass catchers long enough lets an accurate passer like him exploit their reach and wingspan laterally, with the Jelani Woods TD a touch short laterally but Woods secured it and pulled the ball away from the closing DB. I hope I’m clear. :) 

Similarly, he overestimated Pittman’s wingspan leading to 2 missed TD chances like he underestimated Woods’ wingspan laterally on that TD. Lack of long familiarity does that, will get better with time.

I understand what you're saying but sometimes Frank gets too cute. Too many times the Colts drive down the field, get inside the 20 and then go backwards. That's where all that height and wingspan should be an advantage. If going to be predictable I'd throw the jump ball to Woods 4 straight times. I like his chances more than Hines up the gut or some other gimmick..or our place kickers.

10 hours ago, chad72 said:

I am not comparing offensive systems, I am illustrating the preferences of the QBs, how they don't live or rely on 50/50 balls even if they have tall WRs. Rivers, on the other hand threw high more, having gotten used to the VJax, Floyd, Gates type of pass catchers, different kind of passer for the same tall WRs compared to a timing in-step-rhythm passers like Peyton and Ryan though he also threw them open in stride like those two. So just because we have MAC or Woods or real tall pass catchers, don't expect throws like throwing up to Randy Moss to go get it too many times, because Ryan was never that type of passer throughout his life. 

Point is you should be comparing schemes (coaches) as much as you should QBs vs QBs. 

For instance, if you put a QB with Arians (AC type), the same QB will look very different with Reich. 

Disclaimer - Brady is different. He'll likely do what wants regardless lol.. 

2 hours ago, SOMDColtsfan said:

Heck with Woods agility and a "want to lower pads and hit somebody" attitude I'd put him in the backfield with Taylor as a fullback in goal line situations. He's a BAD MAN! 

His track agility is good/decent, but he's still lumbering (like most TEs his size), and his routes aren't great or sudden. 

But that doesn't means he's bad. It just means he needs proper utilization (and with proper routes). 

He can absolutely be a Bad Man if used right. Same as MAC. And Ogletree.

I worry most about hands. 

Archived