Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Frank Reich replacement

danlhart87

22 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

I’ve been impressed with the coaching staff Dan Campbell assembled in Detroit. I always liked Duce Staley and wanted us to hire him as RB/ assistant head coach when he left Philadelphia and there OC Ben Johnson has looked good so far. 

Mixed thoughts on Campbell, but I do like him. Coaching a bad roster though lol.. Feel sorry for him. He has a few kids I like. And OL might improve. Hard job in Detroit. If he turns them around, wow. 

He should have been a finalist in 2R vs Frazier and Reich though. Reich was the safe choice, and they were in panic mode after getting egg in face. Took too much time in 1R, lost guys during process, and took only 5 days in 2R. 

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

Yeah I think they get slept on a little bit. 

You have to be sharp and have a great attention to detail coaching special teams because every single play is very important and can be catastrophic for the team. 

STs is normally 5-10% of snaps. Sure, not easy. But is specialized, less responsibility, and uses some starters from O and D. 

Great STs coaches normally are given chances as O or D assistants, and often while they are STs coordinators (both jobs). I'm surprised he was not offered a DB assistant to S or CB (in addition to STC). Not lead position coach, but at least a assistant to assistant job. 

I like Bubba. But he needs to develop his resume. Judge and Bill helped him in NE (with chances). Indy hired (knowing his mentor tree) him, but should help him with experience/resume (if that's we wants). 

9 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

STs is normally 5-10% of snaps. Sure, not easy. But is specialized, less responsibility, and uses some starters from O and D. 

Great STs coaches normally are given chances as O or D assistants, and often while they are STs coordinators (both jobs). I'm surprised he was not offered a DB assistant to S or CB (in addition to STC). Not lead position coach, but at least a assistant to assistant job. 

I like Bubba. But he needs to develop his resume. Judge and Bill helped him in NE (with chances). Indy hired (knowing his mentor tree) him, but should help him with experience/resume (if that's we wants). 

You might be right.

But on our staff, he is the best football coach we got and I would take my chances with him. His unit always performs. When issues arise they dont last long, because he fixes them. That tells me a lot about him. Experience might be an issue but he would have Gus and John Fox to help guide him. 

Look, it isnt gonna happen Im just giving my opinion on it. 

1 minute ago, Goatface Killah said:

You might be right.

But on our staff, he is the best football coach we got and I would take my chances with him. His unit always performs. When issues arise they dont last long, because he fixes them. That tells me a lot about him. Experience might be an issue but he would have Gus and John Fox to help guide him. 

Look, it isnt gonna happen Im just giving my opinion on it. 

To be fair here. Ballard helps a lot. He drafts (late) and signs UDFAs specifically for STs. Our last 2 ST's captains, were late Ballard draft picks. 

If we get rid of Reich, Bubba is likely one of few we'll keep. Reggie too. 

But he needs more opportunity. 

And if we get rid of him, Bill will take him back. Kinda like Adams too. Maybe Cato. 

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

To be fair here. Ballard helps a lot. He drafts (late) and signs UDFAs specifically for STs. Our last 2 ST's captains, were late Ballard draft picks. 

If we get rid of Reich, Bubba is likely one of few we'll keep. Reggie too. 

But he needs more opportunity. 

And if we get rid of him, Bill will take him back. Kinda like Adams too. Maybe Cato. 

Yeah he does.

Ive been really impressed with him this year tho. I dont think his unit is playing as well as they did last year, but he lost some key dudes in the offseason and they have still been pretty good, kicking aside. 

I sure do hope they keep him if they make a change. He is a rising star in the coaching ranks.

6 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

Yeah he does.

Ive been really impressed with him this year tho. I dont think his unit is playing as well as they did last year, but he lost some key dudes in the offseason and they have still been pretty good, kicking aside. 

I sure do hope they keep him if they make a change. He is a rising star in the coaching ranks.

He's good. And hope he survives. But if we get a new HC, he should get the choice. Bubba's are chances are great though IMO. Like I said, Bill would take him back. And Bill would likely allow him to help with DB too. 

And if you aren't aware... he is known as energetic and demanding. Not a soft dude. I like that. 

5 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Mixed thoughts on Campbell, but I do like him. Coaching a bad roster though lol.. Feel sorry for him. He has a few kids I like. And OL might improve. Hard job in Detroit. If he turns them around, wow. 

He should have been a finalist in 2R vs Frazier and Reich though. Reich was the safe choice, and they were in panic mode after getting egg in face. Took too much time in 1R, lost guys during process, and took only 5 days in 2R. 

Yeah that 2R wasn’t as great as you would like just for the fact Frazier was a finalist, it seems the problem with the colts is every coach they pick like is a super great people that you want to do well but they are just average at best coaches. I think that comes from Irsay because it was the same when they picked Pagano and even Dungy had that personality. I would hope they would go with a younger coach this time around that has some fire not saying like Campbell but like McVay or those other younger group of coaches. Although history seems to point to more Pagano/Dungy/Reich type. 

13 hours ago, Zoltan said:

Yeah that 2R wasn’t as great as you would like just for the fact Frazier was a finalist, it seems the problem with the colts is every coach they pick like is a super great people that you want to do well but they are just average at best coaches. I think that comes from Irsay because it was the same when they picked Pagano and even Dungy had that personality. I would hope they would go with a younger coach this time around that has some fire not saying like Campbell but like McVay or those other younger group of coaches. Although history seems to point to more Pagano/Dungy/Reich type. 

Yup. Very nice guys. Too much nice, not enough performance. I'd prefer dynamic and mean. 

A real factor here is going to be Irsay's age and health.  I think it is unlikely he will be willing to break in a first time head coach.  So guys like say Campbell who are going to learn the lessons the hard way in his first year or two won't cut it.

He will want a veteran who knows to challenge himself with his staff hires and hopefully one who can attract the best minds not just former colleagues.  It will be also hopefully be someone with the clout to drive the GM decision.  He probably won't do that with a younger HC in his first gig and if it goes down that way then he's missed an opportunity to have an experienced coach weigh in on a very important decision.  Those first time guys don't know what they don't know when it comes to the interactions with the business side.

14 minutes ago, Boondoggle said:

A real factor here is going to be Irsay's age and health.  I think it is unlikely he will be willing to break in a first time head coach.  So guys like say Campbell who are going to learn the lessons the hard way in his first year or two won't cut it.

He will want a veteran who knows to challenge himself with his staff hires and hopefully one who can attract the best minds not just former colleagues.  It will be also hopefully be someone with the clout to drive the GM decision.  He probably won't do that with a younger HC in his first gig and if it goes down that way then he's missed an opportunity to have an experienced coach weigh in on a very important decision.  Those first time guys don't know what they don't know when it comes to the interactions with the business side.

I just hope he goes after a guy with some fire to him. The last 12 years, our soft HC approach has shown it does not work.

On 10/4/2022 at 9:42 PM, RollerColt said:

I see a lot wanting Payton. But would Payton want us? He’s got a beautiful lake house in the Idaho mountains, he’s had a good run in NOLA which had a lot to offer… I don’t see Indianapolis the city and Indiana the state being a destination place for an already retired coach. Would probably take a lot to coax him here. Obviously we could throw big $$$ at him, but what if he doesn’t care about the money? 

He's already working for media now. So really is not retired.

And said he is interesting in a 2023 return.

NO still owns rights, but should not be a problem. 

States he coached in... CA, IN, OH, IL, PA, NY, TX, and LA.

IMO, situation and $. 

His requirement (recent interview)

“The most important element is functional ownership [and] front office … because there’s a handful of teams that aren’t, and those teams, regardless of what takes place, they can win on Sunday but they have trouble winning long term,” he said. “The opportunity to win consistently and the willingness to build the correct culture and all those things.”... and “This past weekend’s game vs. Tampa was the first time I had a version of FOMO. I was jealous of everyone that was there, including random Bruce Arians on the sideline,”

So 2 main questions...

Does he like Irsay's style?

Is Indy willing to pay?

10 hours ago, EastStreet said:

IMO, situation and $. 

“The most important element is functional ownership [and] front office … because there’s a handful of teams that aren’t, and those teams, regardless of what takes place, they can win on Sunday but they have trouble winning long term,” he said. “The opportunity to win consistently and the willingness to build the correct culture and all those things.”... and “This past weekend’s game vs. Tampa was the first time I had a version of FOMO. I was jealous of everyone that was there, including random Bruce Arians on the sideline,”

So 2 main questions...

Is Indy willing to pay?

Don't get me wrong, I really like Payton and think he's a fantastic coach, especially in the regular season. I'm just weird when thinking about this stuff. 

If I had the money and ability to choose to go wherever I wanted, Indiana probably wouldn't be in my top 10 places. 

Sean Payton would be the dream hire.  He can be picky on situation, so would imagine he would want a place that has a win now roster.  Not sure we have that.   Are we underperforming because of coaching/scheme or just missing one key position?  I’m not sure on that.

He’ll be in very high demand whenever he wants to coach.  Proven track record through and through.

8 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Don't get me wrong, I really like Payton and think he's a fantastic coach, especially in the regular season. I'm just weird when thinking about this stuff. 

If I had the money and ability to choose to go wherever I wanted, Indiana probably wouldn't be in my top 10 places. 

Oh I agree. He's a long shot. If he has choices (same $, same control, similar situation), not Indy.....

It's why we need to get him on early. 

I don't think Frank will get fired until the end of the season no matter how bad it gets. I either want Sean Payton or Jim Harbaugh if that happens. If we win the division and win a playoff game then Frank deserves to keep his job IMO. As far as GM goes, I like Ballard but I would take Peyton Manning if Irsay wanted to go that route. I think Free agents would want to come here if Peyton was GM is one reason.

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't think Frank will get fired until the end of the season no matter how bad it gets. I either want Sean Payton or Jim Harbaugh if that happens. If we win the division and win a playoff game then Frank deserves to keep his job IMO. As far as GM goes, I like Ballard but I would take Peyton Manning if Irsay wanted to go that route. I think Free agents would want to come here if Peyton was GM is one reason.

Jim and Jim (Irsay)...

Can't see that lol... 

20 hours ago, EastStreet said:

IMO, situation and $. 

So 2 main questions...

Is Indy willing to pay?

after reading that quote the only thing that makes me concerned would be Irsay and how he has been a little over involved these last two years. other than that, i think indy is a good fit in terms of culture and consistent FO

21 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

after reading that quote the only thing that makes me concerned would be Irsay and how he has been a little over involved these last two years. other than that, i think indy is a good fit in terms of culture and consistent FO

Geo is likely fine for Payton. IMO, would like fanbase. 

But he is not soft. And our org has been soft for a while. He once a told player's agent to duck off lol... 

And IMO, Irsay meddles more than we know. Just quiet about it. 

On 10/4/2022 at 7:21 AM, EastStreet said:

Uh... you know who are the 4 QBs... ? 

And 4 QBs in one year.... 

With Winston and Hill, was 8-3... pretty good. 

With Book and Siemian, was 1-5.... bad QBs lol... 

So please don't compare to Reich lol... 

Our QBs been so much better.. SB QBs by the dozen.. Gotcha!!

5 minutes ago, Maniac53 said:

I got issues and you have stats that mean, crap!! Pff says this I'm winning lottery!!! haha

East Learn your your ABC before trying to preach X WR

We have had 2 guys likely in HoF....

And two others... were both better their 2... 

Reading is fundamental. 

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

what the h are you talking about...

the game is going on...

and you're in some random thread... wanting to argue about Payton... 

wut... 

How can I block your posts and you block mine? Is there a way? Cause I don't want to see your nonsense anymore..

15 minutes ago, Maniac53 said:

How can I block your posts and you block mine? Is there a way? Cause I don't want to see your nonsense anymore..

5 minutes ago, Maniac53 said:

You think we going too win... Nah my money on Broncos cause Ballard is Crap!!!! I'm trying to figure out blocking your stats that you think are so great that mean nothing.

Can you help??

Have another drink. And blocking someone easy. Please figure it out. Or else mods if you're struggling. 

On 10/6/2022 at 8:14 PM, Maniac53 said:

You want Payton, cause anything is better than Frank right now,

Payton can't help this team if Ballard is still here.. jmo

Ultimately you may be right

But.......  lets look at both, to be totally objective

Head Coach

Love the man, and what he stands for. But he may be better suited to be a QB coach or an OC

Just too many mistakes and wrong choices and too many times the team just isnt prepared for the game

This team has a strong history of VERY SLOW starts.......

That's on the Head coach

General Manager--- "This is HOW WE DO THIS" (You're wrong dude)

I am SICK of his smugness

5 QBs in 5 years is the GMs problem

And there is a very strong case to be made that we will have the SIXTH QB to start next year

Ryan looks slow to recognize anything.....  He is not the answer

Everyone looks at Brady, and think that THEY can do that as well.....

The fact is that bringing the old QB in to lead a franchise fails as much if not more than the rookie draft

We STILL dont have the QB of the future on the roster..... 

We have a subpar OL.....  thats the net result of Ballards draft.......  We have so much money tied up there

We have a RT that is paid at Pro Bowl level....  And has been one of the worst in the league

We have a Center that is the 2nd highest paid center in the league.....  He has become pathetic

We have a LG that is playing at "Just OK" level, but we are paying him a mid QB level

We let two above average Guards leave in FA......  (We needed one of them)

Guys...... Our GM ..... isnt that good......

I am of the belief that BOTH have to GO at the end of the season

Let the season play out 

(I believe that we will end up at around .500)  This is an average team that catches streaks.

Then, you follow the winning strategy that is proven

DRAFT a QB

(Move up if you need to)

If it doesnt work

DRAFT ANOTHER QB

RINSE, WASH, REPEAT   - UNTIL YOU HAVE THE RIGHT QB

Without out the RIGHT QB......

Its almost a waste of time.....

(YIKES!...  I have moved over to become a half empty kind of guy)

Archived