Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If we lose to the Broncos is the season over?

2006Coltsbestever

65 members have voted

1. 1. If we lose to the Broncos is the season over?

I voted yes, but technically we'd still be alive even after losing to the Jags the following week. We could, COULD being keyword, still win the division by getting to 8-8-1. This division is just so bad right now. Almost wouldn't be shocked if whoever gets to 7-9-1 takes the lowly crown. 

Heck, we were 1-5 with Luck in 2018 before going off and getting to 10-6. This is not the same team though and it's not looking good. 

I will be honest here.  If we lose, then everyone else in the division must lose.  As long as we stay within striking distance in the division the season is not over.

There won't be any wildcard out of this division this season.

even though i am a doomer i voted no just because its still to early .  we have seen before a frank reich team coming back from 1-4 and 1-5 .   what it does is make it very hard because you have to be almost perfect down the stretch .   even though i want a top 5 pick i am still not yet actively rooting for the colts to lose yet .    i am just not mad anymore after a loss because we are closer to a top pick .       if we end up going 1-6-1 then i will actively start rooting for us to tank

4 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Depends on the color of your shades. 

Is it definitely over? No. 

Would it make winning the division and getting a playoff berth difficult? Yes. 

If we lose Thursday I will even have my doubts. 5 weeks in and 2 other teams in the division playing better is hard to overcome. We win Thursday we will be fine still. So I am not panicking yet like I posted earlier.

I voted no in the poll but as I typed out my reply here I think I probably should have voted yes.

On one hand it is only week 5 and the Colts are not the only team that has struggled. Until there is more separation in the standings part of me doesn't feel the season is over.  

On the other hand the Colts have gotten off to about as bad of a start in the division as you can have. Best they can do in the division now is 3-2-1. Even setting the bar ultra low I thought 4 division wins would be the minimal needed. 

With the start in the division the other games become even more important so a loss Thursday is going to be a big blow. It's also not like the Colts play for most of this season, forget the outcome, warrants much optimism either.  

I said no because on it's own, there's still 12 games left, no info on how the rest of the division does this week, and no criteria set for the meaning of 'over'.

So, based on math, and recently past years, no, we'd still have a chance. It's just difficult seeing it with the way they've been playing, but we've seen this movie before.

I voted no just because its still early and the colts under Frank have habitually started painfully slow and then made mid season surges.

I have to say I dont have a lot of confidence though. It might be too little too late as per usual. 0-2-1 in the division already, team looks like garbage while probably the two most important games of the season coming up in the next 3 weeks. Jax and titans again.

If by the time we host the commanders on Oct 30 we are 0-4-1 in the division then id say its over.

They are 0-2-1 in the AFCS with one of JAC or TEN likely to have the tiebreaker. Their AFCS path is murky at best. Hard to imagine them sweeping their remaining AFCS games. If they don't, I can't imagine a 2-3-1 record wins it.

And with a loss to DEN, they would be 1-3-1....all in the AFC. That would hurt tiebreakers as well. 

It's not over. But it's probably going to be difficult to overcome.

42 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I voted yes.

I voted no because the season came to an end yesterday. Win or lose against Denver to me is mute. They put them selves in a big hole. Lets say for example they manage to go on a run. Do you think they will make any noise? Once again they will be spent and one and done. Does anyone actually think this team is super bowl worthy? Cause the way this team is constructed that is the only thing that matters. This team has shown me nothing after 4 weeks that suggests they are able to make a turn. The turnovers by Matt Ryan and the putrid Oline still suck. Do you actually think they are magically going to correct those issues when they havent after 4 weeks?? Its over! 

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I voted no because the season came to an end yesterday. Win or lose against Denver to me is mute. They put them selves in a big hole. Lets say for example they manage to go on a run. Do you think they will make any noise? Once again they will be spent and one and done. Does anyone actually think this team is super bowl worthy? Cause the way this team is constructed that is the only thing that matters. This team has shown me nothing after 4 weeks that suggests they are able to make a turn. The turnovers by Matt Ryan and the putrid Oline still suck. Do you actually think they are magically going to correct those issues when they havent after 4 weeks?? Its over! 

Actually, if we beat Denver than beat Jacks 10 days later we are right back in it. 

1 minute ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I voted NO, especially in this sorry divison where 8 wins may be good enough to win.the division title.

A win here, a win there, is probably all you need.to contend in the.south.

I voted yes because this is the type of a game we normally win after playing like doo doo. If lose this, it will be real bad.

17 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Actually, if we beat Denver than beat Jacks 10 days later we are right back in it. 

One hope we have is that Denver's offense has been abysmal but their defense is really good.

Maybe we can squeak out a win 21-14

What does 'over' mean?

We started off last year even worse then this year and had a chance to make the playoffs in the last game.

If anyone thinks this team is complete garbage, you are letting your emotions get ahead of you.

We have a top 10 defense stats wise and an offense that can drive the ball down the field all while offensive rookies are still getting better as the season continues.

The biggest issues are not being able to run the ball and fumbles. Both things can be corrected and are at least partially contributed by poor OL play so far. If the OL group just plays average football, then we probably do pretty well this season.

Is it a good start to the season? God no.

Should Frank/other coaches/Ballard be held accountable and perhaps lose their jobs if it's a repeat of last year, even if we do improve a bit? Yup.

But even you want to be  critical, you have to admit the Colts have been able to bounce back before from just as bad or worse circumstances. I'm as tired of it as the next fan, but it isn't like the proven ability to correct your mistakes in and of itself is a bad thing. The bad thing is a coach having to rely on that to begin with. Let's see what happens.

Should the season be over? Yes. 

will it be? Well we’ve seen this team go 1-5 and it not be over. 

but this team sure looks ugly and I don’t think they have it in them to turn it around. I hate to say it but Rivers was better than Ryan and had quick reads and a better oline. 

5 minutes ago, colts89 said:

What does 'over' mean?

We started off last year even worse then this year and had a chance to make the playoffs in the last game.

If anyone thinks this team is complete garbage, you are letting your emotions get ahead of you.

We have a top 10 defense stats wise and an offense that can drive the ball down the field all while offensive rookies are still getting better as the season continues.

The biggest issues are not being able to run the ball and fumbles. Both things can be corrected and are at least partially contributed by poor OL play so far. If the OL group just plays average football, then we probably do pretty well this season.

Is it a good start to the season? God no.

Should Frank/other coaches/Ballard be held accountable and perhaps lose their jobs if it's a repeat of last year, even if we do improve a bit? Yup.

But even you want to be  critical, you have to admit the Colts have been able to bounce back before from just as bad or worse circumstances. I'm as tired of it as the next fan, but it isn't like the proven ability to correct your mistakes in and of itself is a bad thing. The bad thing is a coach having to rely on that to begin with. Let's see what happens.

Over means, what % do you put on us missing the playoffs if we lose Thursday.

2 minutes ago, Indy87 said:

Should the season be over? Yes. 

will it be? Well we’ve seen this team go 1-5 and it not be over. 

but this team sure looks ugly and I don’t think they have it in them to turn it around. I hate to say it but Rivers was better than Ryan and had quick reads and a better oline. 

We had Andrew when we went 1-5. Matt is a Hall of Fame player IMO but young Andrew was better. Matt needs to win Thursday, JMO

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We had Andrew when we went 1-5. Matt is a Hall of Fame player IMO but young Andrew was better. Matt needs to win Thursday, JMO

matt can’t hold onto the ball. The line is the worst it’s been since before Andrew retired. Pre Nelson draft. 

20 minutes ago, colts89 said:

What does 'over' mean?

We just needed to win one of the last 2 games last year.   Reich blew it big time and I think he is doing worse this season.    

I voted no because there is not a team running away with the division at this time.  

I’m sick of having these same conversations each freaking year. I’m already checked out from this regime. 0 division titles since 2014. Titans have won 4 straight against the Colts first in their franchise history. Colts haven’t beaten the Jags in Jacksonville since 2013. If it wasn’t for our domination of the Texans we’d be the joke of this division. 

3 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

I’m sick of having these same conversations each freaking year. I’m already checked out from this regime. 0 division titles since 2014. Titans have won 4 straight against the Colts first in their franchise history. Colts haven’t beaten the Jags in Jacksonville since 2013. If it wasn’t for our domination of the Texans we’d be the joke of this division. 

Yeah tough times, that is why we need a win Thursday to calm everyone down.

I don't even think that's the right question.  The question is can we win the division?  I don't think anyone is going to even pretend we'll do anything except lose the first playoff game even if we do make it.  But we're 0-2-1 vs the division.  To even have a chance we need to win the next 3 against division opponents - which the colts have not even looked remotely interested in trying.  And then at least go .500 against the rest of the league to close out the season.  That will put us at 9-7-1 (and Division record at 3-2-1).

That's the only way you have even a chance.  The Steelers backed in last year with that record.  But at 9-8, you mostly miss the playoffs based on last year.  

What have we seen from the Colts against in division rivals that anyone thinks we're going to go in and win out against all our division rivals?  We've gotten curb stomped.  Then to go .500 against the rest of the league?  Pffft.  Yeah okay even if I assume that happens, taht's a mistake, but even if I do, we ain't doing anything but getting an * beating and exiting the playoffs. 9 fumbles by the QB and 5 INTs.  Abysmal 4th down conversion rate.  This team is weak sauce and it starts with the top 3.  Get outta here...

Irsay-Reich-Ballard.jpg

15 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I don't even think that's the right question.  The question is can we win the division?  I don't think anyone is going to even pretend we'll do anything except lose the first playoff game even if we do make it.  But we're 0-2-1 vs the division.  To even have a chance we need to win the next 3 against division opponents - which the colts have not even looked remotely interested in trying.  And then at least go .500 against the rest of the league to close out the season.  That will put us at 9-7-1 (and Division record at 3-2-1).

That's the only way you have even a chance.  The Steelers backed in last year with that record.  But at 9-8, you mostly miss the playoffs based on last year.  

What have we seen from the Colts against in division rivals that anyone thinks we're going to go in and win out against all our division rivals?  We've gotten curb stomped.  Then to go .500 against the rest of the league?  Pffft.  Yeah okay even if I assume that happens, taht's a mistake, but even if I do, we ain't doing anything but getting an * beating and exiting the playoffs. 9 fumbles by the QB and 5 INTs.  Abysmal 4th down conversion rate.  This team is weak sauce and it starts with the top 3.  Get outta here...

Irsay-Reich-Ballard.jpg

regarding tiebreakers you are right, we need to win the next 3 games. GIF by The Simpsons

17 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I don't even think that's the right question.  The question is can we win the division?

I am afraid this team has little chance to win this division.  Both the Jags and Titans are better than us in the trenches and have wins against us head to head already so it's unlikely we can level the divisional standings vs them.  We should beat the Texans but that's not going to make a difference in who takes it.

What irritates me is I think the Colts will improve as the season goes on because I think the OL has enough and Ryan is likely to improve.  But to what end.  As mentioned above by others this team does not look like a contender.  They are way too inconsistent.  They're the team that can beat anyone when they get hot, but who isn't good enough to string four wins together vs the very best in the league in the playoffs.  Especially in the AFC playoffs.

7 minutes ago, Boondoggle said:

I am afraid this team has little chance to win this division.  Both the Jags and Titans are better than us in the trenches and have wins against us head to head already so it's unlikely we can level the divisional standings vs them.  We should beat the Texans but that's not going to make a difference in who takes it.

What irritates me is I think the Colts will improve as the season goes on because I think the OL has enough and Ryan is likely to improve.  But to what end.  As mentioned above by others this team does not look like a contender.  They are way too inconsistent.  They're the team that can beat anyone when they get hot, but who isn't good enough to string four wins together vs the very best in the league in the playoffs.  Especially in the AFC playoffs.

I mean, even if they weren't better than we were in the trenches, the only thing I could trust the Colts to do is paly down to their competition like they've done for decades now in intra-division games.  Like you said, inconsistent.  Can't trust em to get a win when you need it or when the stakes are highest.  So...yaaaay playoffs...

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Ryan is a hall of famer, but is having the same issues he had last year in Atlanta. He is getting absolutely blasted so now he’s seeing ghosts. Missing open WRs, getting happy feet in the pocket, generally looking uncomfortable out there. Can he turn it around? Maybe. Has to start with the O line though. Said the other day lot of highly paid players, Ryan included, not playing up to snuff. Need to do some soul searching before Thursday night.

Archived