Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Not one time should the word "tank" be mention, period.

tfunky14

Number one,  players play for team, team mates and their jobs.  Let be more clear....players play for the team and team mates.   

Just because you are a fan and think you know all the answers, you should never say, expect or what your team to tank on purpose. 

I know this may raffle few feathers but I already read some comments that the Colts should tank for a draft pick now.

Are you serious? They or who should be banned if you mentioned that or even crossed your mind. That's pathetic of a fan.

I 99.9% agree with this. Only year I wanted us to tank was in 2011. Here me out, it was once we got to 0-8 because I knew we could get Luck at that point to replace Peyton. That season was over. So out of 39 seasons of fandom, I once wanted it but for great reason and had to even be 0-8. I still think this year we can win the division, after 4 weeks I never panic.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I 99.9% agree with this. Only year I wanted us to tank was in 2011. Here me out, it was once we got to 0-8 because I knew we could get Luck at that point to replace Peyton. That season was over. So out of 39 seasons of fandom, I once wanted it but for great reason and had to even be 0-8. I still think this year we can win the division, after 4 weeks I never panic.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

BAN THIS MAN IMMEDIATELY.... He used the word Tank. :funny:

1 hour ago, tfunky14 said:

Number one,  players play for team, team mates and their jobs.  Let be more clear....players play for the team and team mates.   

Just because you are a fan and think you know all the answers, you should never say, expect or what your team to tank on purpose. 

I know this may raffle few feathers but I already read some comments that the Colts should tank for a draft pick now.

Are you serious? They or who should be banned if you mentioned that or even crossed your mind. That's pathetic of a fan.

Well the good news is we won’t have to tank. Leaving Reich as HC and play caller will do a better job of that than actually tanking

being realistic doesnt make you less of a fan at all . the league rewards tanking by letting teams that are bad get the best talent in the draft .   nothing indicates to me the colts have a shot at a super bowl this year .  i go into every game wanting them to win but when the game is over i am not mad anymore because we are closer to a top pick

That’s the biggest factor right there. Players can’t afford to put bad tape out there. Would cost them money or some fringe players potentially a job. Fans may throw the word around and guys in other sports might not care as much, believe baseball and basketball contracts are fully guaranteed, but football players just can’t lay down like that.

The players, coaches and GM aren’t going to tank.  They all put their jobs at risk by tanking.  If the Colts lose it’s going to be because they simply aren’t good enough.  You want to see a players reaction to tanking look up Robert Mathis’s reaction in 2011 when someone asked him about a late season win over the Texans maybe costing them the top draft pick in the draft.  NFL players don’t care about getting a higher draft pick they know it’s just more reason for the organization to replace them.

tank satisfying GIF

Too early to tank.   But if we get mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, I am fine with tanking.  The owner, GM and HC of teams can "tank" without letting anyone else know.   Holding out players with minor injuries and stuff like that.  

Tank!

In truth I agree with the heart of what you said, tanking is something fans like to talk about, but no person in the organization is going to put in less effort so the team can get a better pick, because it can almost certainly mean their jobs. 

But no part of the future should be mortgaged to save this season, as unlikely as that may be. No future picks should be surrendered to shore up shortcomings on this team(such as trading for a receiver). Also as unlikely as the extensions of Taylor or Pittman jr are to happen during the season they should be set aside until the offseason as well. 

Smart fans know tanking isnt a thing in the NFL. Jobs are so fragile every coach, gm and player is playing for their jobs every game. However the way this team looks atm we could easily be in the running for a top 10 pick and once we are eliminated from playoffs Irsay can force peoples hands in playing backups.

Teams have tanked in the NFL, watch the Bucs last game before they drafted Winston if you dont believe me.  The Patriots once did it pretty blatantly for a more favorable playoff match up.  its happened   

The Colts are not going to tank now though and i doubt they win many this year either 

Archived