Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

One example of terrible coaching/player development from the Titans game


Indeee
 Share

Recommended Posts

Just now, Myles said:

Reich gets lost in games because he focuses too much on the play calling.   I really believe it is holding him back from being a great coach.  

I think he loses that real soon - the way we've started slowly in every game should scream to Ballard & Irsay that he doesn't get these guys ready to play, and we don't ever look like a semi-competent team until the 2nd half but by then we're usually too far behind to capitalize on what are supposed to be our strengths. 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Myles said:

Reich gets lost in games because he focuses too much on the play calling.   I really believe it is holding him back from being a great coach.  


 

And what sucks is that this offensive group has shown flashes.  So it lets me know that talent isn’t the issue (besides the oline), it’s possibly the coaching.  No reason why we should be almost last when it comes to offense.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, smittywerb said:


 

And what sucks is that this offensive group has shown flashes.  So it lets me know that talent isn’t the issue (besides the oline), it’s possibly the coaching.  No reason why we should be almost last when it comes to offense.

"Almost last" in the first half.   Overall, we are almost middle of the pack.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is kind of annoying watching a player get momentum and doing well, only to be pulled and then run something stupid and lose that momentum. Look at the Chiefs/Bucs game last night. Mike Evans and Kelce were feeling it, and both coaches kept them in and both QBs kept feeding them. 
 

I truly wonder what goes through Franks mind when he pulls someone that’s on fire. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Myles said:

Reich gets lost in games because he focuses too much on the play calling.   I really believe it is holding him back from being a great coach.  

 

I would settle for a very good coach before that "great coach" happens. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Rhodelesstraveled said:

Funny how TN only played a half too yet they won.  Tells me Vrabel > Reich

 

Vrabel makes them play 60 minutes, trickle down effect from his Patriots days. Reich's teams show "flashes" of very good and games aren't just won on "potential" and "flashes". Heck, the Lions and Falcons, despite their record have been in pretty much every game and fighting hard. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Indeee said:

Yesterday, I believed it was in the late 1st or second quarter, Jelani Woods catches a pass and almost gallops into the endzone. It was a normal catch but a pretty emotional effort afterwards that almost got in for 6. The play showed promise, and clearly Jelani was fired up and full of momentum after its conclusion, yet instead of keeping him on the field and going right back to him or having him pile drive someone so Taylor could waltz in while utilizing an effort to capitalize off that pure adrenaline, giving opportunity for our potential future all-pro TE to shine, he's yanked.

 

So, all that emotion, adrenaline, and possible domination confidence building can be celebrated on the sideline with plenty of chance to fizzle back to nothingness.

 

This is why Reich sucks. Any good coach can clearly understand how most great players in this league are created. All NFL players have some degree of talent, but it's the raw determination every time opportunity arises and is capitalized on coupled with the gratification that follows it, is what normally propels players to a higher status. 

 

Is Kelce coming off the field right there? Is Kittle? How about Hockensen?

 

I think you get my point and I bet there are countless other instances where this occurs with this team involving player development. It's not all about the fundamentals. Sometimes you also have to let these guys actually play and allow their primal instincts to carry them to greatness, especially on a team with a glaring TE issue where it seems not one of them wants to take the reins. 

 

It does not matter in that moment if Jalani is normally not a good blocker in the event you want to run it in for a TD on the next play. Given the opportunity, human adrenaline can surge an average or below average skill to greater heights and the potential above average outcome builds confidence in growth.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Reich has been doing this since hes been here.

 

He did the same thing to Alec Pierce. Pierce had that big catch and was immediately taken out of the game.

 

When Reich subs his  receivers, it look like a line change in hockey. He is subbing 3-4 at a time and i wouldnt be surprised if other teams have picked up on some tendency there.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I thought the same thing. Woods was on fire last week and then he barely gets snaps this week. Then it’s funny because it was almost as if someone said “Hey Jelani’s getting too hot and we paid MAC, so let’s get MAC in there”. Because after that catch Woods disappeared and it turned into the MAC show. And I get he had a good day, but I think our TE production is scheme based. I think all of the plays MAC made, Woods could have made as well. Heck I’ve been low on Granson, but he started off hot too. I don’t get the coaching decisions at all. This team needs to play Jelani Woods more. They also need to scheme up more chunk plays to Pierce because he has a long catch every game.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Every game this year you see very little emotion (Good or Bad) This team is full of All Pro players but they are not playing anywhere near that level this season. Someone said that it was great when Ryan had over 300 yards and I said look at the score not stats. Matt does not look or act like a winner. The offensive line, which is highest paid in the league is seriously underachieving. I know Pryor and Pinter/Fries are not all pro's but Kelly, Nelson and Smith are getting manhandled and that was not the case last year. Too many problems to fix and this falls right on Ballard and Reich.  Something must be done to shock the players. I say its time to fire our offensive line coach right now  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

Funny how TN only played a half too yet they won.  Tells me Vrabel > Reich

Funny how I had Vrabel rated higher than Reich but you think I think Frank is great when I had him rated 14th and Vrabel in the top 10 before the season. Read my posts better and you will get a better view of me instead of thinking that I think everything is sunshine and roses. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I thought the same thing. Woods was on fire last week and then he barely gets snaps this week. Then it’s funny because it was almost as if someone said “Hey Jelani’s getting too hot and we paid MAC, so let’s get MAC in there”. Because after that catch Woods disappeared and it turned into the MAC show. And I get he had a good day, but I think our TE production is scheme based. I think all of the plays MAC made, Woods could have made as well. Heck I’ve been low on Granson, but he started off hot too. I don’t get the coaching decisions at all. This team needs to play Jelani Woods more. They also need to scheme up more chunk plays to Pierce because he has a long catch every game.

 

Yeah, it is called a feel for the flow of the game. Reich is definitely deficient on that front. 

 

To me, that is why it is OK to have star players, "go to" players, that you can showcase. Yes, football is a team sport but playmakers can be "go to" guys that make it easier for others to shine as well, so having a feel for who is running hot in an emotional game does help ride the momentum. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Indeee said:

Yesterday, I believed it was in the late 1st or second quarter, Jelani Woods catches a pass and almost gallops into the endzone. It was a normal catch but a pretty emotional effort afterwards that almost got in for 6. The play showed promise, and clearly Jelani was fired up and full of momentum after its conclusion, yet instead of keeping him on the field and going right back to him or having him pile drive someone so Taylor could waltz in while utilizing an effort to capitalize off that pure adrenaline, giving opportunity for our potential future all-pro TE to shine, he's yanked.

 

So, all that emotion, adrenaline, and possible domination confidence building can be celebrated on the sideline with plenty of chance to fizzle back to nothingness.

 

This is why Reich sucks. Any good coach can clearly understand how most great players in this league are created. All NFL players have some degree of talent, but it's the raw determination every time opportunity arises and is capitalized on coupled with the gratification that follows it, is what normally propels players to a higher status. 

 

Is Kelce coming off the field right there? Is Kittle? How about Hockensen?

 

I think you get my point and I bet there are countless other instances where this occurs with this team involving player development. It's not all about the fundamentals. Sometimes you also have to let these guys actually play and allow their primal instincts to carry them to greatness, especially on a team with a glaring TE issue where it seems not one of them wants to take the reins. 

 

It does not matter in that moment if Jalani is normally not a good blocker in the event you want to run it in for a TD on the next play. Given the opportunity, human adrenaline can surge an average or below average skill to greater heights and the potential above average outcome builds confidence in growth.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

This happens all the time with our skill position group. Someone makes a catch for 15 yds, pulled. It blows my mind. Nobody is allowed to get in the "zone" or play off adrenaline. It's the dumbest thing in the world. I was yelling at the TV yesterday bc of it. These guys are NFL players, some of the best conditioned athletes in the world. They don't need to be pulled after a 15 yard catch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, bsteves said:

 

This happens all the time with our skill position group. Someone makes a catch for 15 yds, pulled. It blows my mind. Nobody is allowed to get in the "zone" or play off adrenaline. It's the dumbest thing in the world. I was yelling at the TV yesterday bc of it. These guys are NFL players, some of the best conditioned athletes in the world. They don't need to be pulled after a 15 yard catch.

Exactly. It's one thing to pull a player off special teams who downs a punt or lays a big hit but offensively it should never happen as much as it seems to here in Indy. 

 

I'm Glad this was a recognizable point. :thmup:

22 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

Reich has been doing this since hes been here.

 

He did the same thing to Alec Pierce. Pierce had that big catch and was immediately taken out of the game.

 

When Reich subs his  receivers, it look like a line change in hockey. He is subbing 3-4 at a time and i wouldnt be surprised if other teams have picked up on some tendency there.

:thmup:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Honestly, the thing that frustrated me most about the play calling that game is electing to punt before the end of the half and then electing to kick the FG down by 7 with ~3 minutes left. No consistency in the calls. You don't think his leg is good enough before end of the half but you trot him out there for 3 down by 7 with that little time?  

 

As soon as he elected to punt I knew we lost that game. I don't care that it was 4th down, we were passing it pretty well and anything could happen. We could've got a defensive PI or even picked up 12-15 yards which would have been worse field position for the Titans than the punt was! Two first downs later, game over. 

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Its called situational football.  Teams run these types of plays with these players on the field.  Teams will then use other players to run different plays.  

 

The entire NFL has gone that way, but the Colts do too much of it.  

 

Ultimately, its a function of teams that don't have dominant players at certain positions so they need to marry the traits and skills of several players to complete the various on the field tasks.  If you had better more well rounded players and fewer specialists, they could stay on the field executing a variety of plays.  Defenses are the same way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

Funny how TN only played a half too yet they won.  Tells me Vrabel > Reich

 

TEN has their own coaching issues. They seem to forget how to play in the 2H. 

 

If Colts' fans don't like Reich running offense, imagine if we had Todd Downing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

 

TEN has their own coaching issues. They seem to forget how to play in the 2H. 

 

If Colts' fans don't like Reich running offense, imagine if we had Todd Downing.


I don’t care about other teams problems. And I’m not going to imagine what it would be like to be the 0-16 lions of yesteryear. This is Colts football that is the problem and seeing other teams issues isn’t going to do anything. 
 

western clint eastwood GIF

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Indy87 said:


I don’t care about other teams problems. And I’m not going to imagine what it would be like to be the 0-16 lions of yesteryear. This is Colts football that is the problem and seeing other teams issues isn’t going to do anything. 
 

western clint eastwood GIF

 

Well I wasn't talking to you. Somebody else mentioned Vrabel.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Colttodd18 said:

I was going to post this exact same thought. This has been happening for a few years now. Someone makes a big play and they go to the sideline. It makes no sense. 

I first noticed it in Marlon Mack’s rookie year. Mack wasn’t as good as people made him out to be but he was definitely an explosive option behind Gore who was old and slow. Mack would come in a bust off a big run and then they would sit him for like 7 snaps.

 

The trend continued when we drafted JT. They really planned to have him as the backup to Mack until Mack got injured. But even before he was starting he would hit a nice solid run for 6 yards and then they would immediately go back to Mack. Even once he was starting the Colts we’re barely giving him the ball. He would break off a big run and instead of wearing the defense out Frank would say “Hold on now, let me show you what the QB can do” and then just have Rivers start throwing it all over the place. 
 

Like someone else said, they almost never let any of the offensive players get into a rhythm and they don’t get the old saying of feed the hot hand. They’d rather take JT out on a 3rd and short and run Hines straight up the gut. I don’t get it at all. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We talk about Reich every game for several years now. You know that Irsay is seething and fed up with 5 years of average to below average wins. How long will Jim accept not going to the playoffs and NOT getting a franchise QB and the joke of the NFL that Indy is where old QB's go to die. We need to get fed up with mediocrity. Game after game Reich does boneheaded things like this and still has a job?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

It is kind of annoying watching a player get momentum and doing well, only to be pulled and then run something stupid and lose that momentum. Look at the Chiefs/Bucs game last night. Mike Evans and Kelce were feeling it, and both coaches kept them in and both QBs kept feeding them. 
 

I truly wonder what goes through Franks mind when he pulls someone that’s on fire. 

Remember when Ebron was here. Luck and Ebron new they had a good thing going and Luck just kept giving it to him.  Reich I agree has lost some of that because he hasn’t had a QB like Luck since he retired. You pretty much didn’t even need to coach luck because he had a great feel for the game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

When a team can only play half of a football game (the only mystery is which half) - that's coaching. 

 

When a team plays down/up to the level of competition - that's coaching.

 

 

 

 

Ok, I know that I’m totally romanticized the time under Pagano, but it felt less painful back then. But yeah, I guess whatever good there was back then was probably because of Luck. I think Ballard was on to something, but that something has been run into the ground completely. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

Ok, I know that I’m totally romanticized the time under Pagano, but it felt less painful back then. But yeah, I guess whatever good there was back then was probably because of Luck. I think Ballard was on to something, but that something has been run into the ground completely. 

Pagano never lost the team.  I think that’s the difference.  It feels like Reich has.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Myles said:

"Almost last" in the first half.   Overall, we are almost middle of the pack.   


inflated stat.  Our passing yards is what put us in the middle of the pack.  Rushing and PPG are near the bottom.  The eye test tells me our offense is almost last.  We’re the only team in the NFL that hasn’t scored more than 20 points.  I meant what I said when I said “almost last”.  Don’t let the stats fool you.  That is an “almost last” offense we have.  It has the ability to be a middle of the pack or even better offense.  But through 4 games, you can’t watch those games and tell me that’s a middle of the pack offense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Indeee said:

Yesterday, I believed it was in the late 1st or second quarter, Jelani Woods catches a pass and almost gallops into the endzone. It was a normal catch but a pretty emotional effort afterwards that almost got in for 6. The play showed promise, and clearly Jelani was fired up and full of momentum after its conclusion, yet instead of keeping him on the field and going right back to him or having him pile drive someone so Taylor could waltz in while utilizing an effort to capitalize off that pure adrenaline, giving opportunity for our potential future all-pro TE to shine, he's yanked.

 

So, all that emotion, adrenaline, and possible domination confidence building can be celebrated on the sideline with plenty of chance to fizzle back to nothingness.

 

This is why Reich sucks. Any good coach can clearly understand how most great players in this league are created. All NFL players have some degree of talent, but it's the raw determination every time opportunity arises and is capitalized on coupled with the gratification that follows it, is what normally propels players to a higher status. 

 

Is Kelce coming off the field right there? Is Kittle? How about Hockensen?

 

I think you get my point and I bet there are countless other instances where this occurs with this team involving player development. It's not all about the fundamentals. Sometimes you also have to let these guys actually play and allow their primal instincts to carry them to greatness, especially on a team with a glaring TE issue where it seems not one of them wants to take the reins. 

 

It does not matter in that moment if Jalani is normally not a good blocker in the event you want to run it in for a TD on the next play. Given the opportunity, human adrenaline can surge an average or below average skill to greater heights and the potential above average outcome builds confidence in growth.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Yeah I was fuming when I saw that. That’s just terrible coaching right there. Jelani’s hyped for making the play and the rest of the guys are hyped seeing him do it. You don’t yank a player after that…

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been off the Reich bandwagon from the start. He is totally emotionless. I think a head coach needs some emotion and fire to get a team ready to play. We come out flat every game. Name a coach that is successful Who doesn't show emotion and doesn't get p!$$ed at his player when they do something stupid. I am disappointed that someone like Nelson or Buckner doesn't get in their teams face and try to get their teammates fired up. 

Ryan has been baad and as much as I don't think Elinger is the answer I think he could bring some excitement to the team and at this point would not be much worse than Ryan. I am really down on this team and definitely want some changes. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, bsteves said:

 

This happens all the time with our skill position group. Someone makes a catch for 15 yds, pulled. It blows my mind. Nobody is allowed to get in the "zone" or play off adrenaline. It's the dumbest thing in the world. I was yelling at the TV yesterday bc of it. These guys are NFL players, some of the best conditioned athletes in the world. They don't need to be pulled after a 15 yard catch.

Imagine if TY, Wayne, or Harrison were pulled after a long gain??  Just baffling.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Anyone going to this game? My wife and I are going with some friends. Hoping for at least a competitive game and I’m excited to watch Jefferson. He’s definitely one of a kind.
    • Rainman let's us not have to spend an early pick on LT, RG much more pressing. 78.8 passing grade in Dallas game highest on squad.
    • I think that's a stretch. What's going on with the Colts now IS reason for concern. Ballard came in with a lot of premature media hype as being one of the "best" as a FIRST TIME gm. So the sky was the limit for this team. Now SIX years later this team has NEVER been a SB contender nor even won a division title under Ballard. The team has MAJOR holes at KEY positions and on NATIONALLY televised games this season the Colts have looked awful capped off by being outscored 33-0 in the 4th quarter of the last game. Wow! The Colts have EARNED that narrative as of late so STOP deflecting. It is what it is.   I'm quite sure EVERY fan wants their team to win ALWAYS but of course that's not realistic but what they do want is for their team to be in the hunt ESPECIALLY when expectations were set HIGH for the next "great" gm to lead this team as Irsay put it "To the next ERA of greatness with Colt's football." Instead we have a NON contending team with no hc, qb, lt, elite de, explosive wr shall I go on? Oh by the way that SAME gm also has a LOSING record. You're right someone is going to lose or TIE and we did that too with a ONE WIN TEAM.
    • I don’t know. Similar things happened last year too. We didn’t have a single fourth quarter comeback. Even if Wentz would manage to score, the D would give it up. We’re seeing the same things with a different QB, different DC etc. If we went down in the 4th qtr we could never come back. So bottom line we are finding out that when push comes to shove in the 4th quarter, our O can’t burn clock in the 4th quarter with a lead nor can the D get timely stops to preserve a lead.   This is the downfall of having DCs that don’t blitz or force the issues on D, despite having players drafted for their 4-3, plus no extra gears to be found on offense and defense with the players when we have to close the deal.   All goes back to the GM, IMO. We don’t have a Freeney/Mathis type that will get a game changing fumble, we don’t have Blitzburgh like aggression or talent to force stops, can’t run when we really really need to etc.
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...