1. 1. What aging QB will Ballard get next year

• Matt Ryan
    • Kirk Cousins
    • Copper Rush
    • Teddy Bridgewater
    • Jared Goff
    • Sam Darnold
    • Draft choice

Not sure where we will draft because this team could be anywhere from 7-9-1 to still 9-7-1 IMO but this QB class is a lot better than last years. If a QB has to play behind Matt Ryan for 1 year so be it or if matt really stinks it up next year we can insert said rookie. I would have to defer to guys like @stitchesand @Jared Cisneroson how many good possibilities we will have in 2023. I just know Young, Stroud, and the QB from KY is good.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Not sure where we will draft because this team could be anywhere from 7-9-1 to still 9-7-1 IMO but this QB class is a lot better than last years. If a QB has to play behind Matt Ryan for 1 year so be it or if matt really stinks it up next year we can insert said rookie. I would have to defer to guys like @stitchesand @Jared Cisneroson how many good possibilities we will have in 2023. I just know Young, Stroud, and the QB from KY is good.

A sleeper guy who could rise is Hendon Hooker, the QB from Tennessee. I'm liking what I'm seeing from him so far.

10 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

If Ballard is still around, it’ll be Kirk Cousins whenever his deal expires. An older QB who had some good seasons once upon a time is exactly Ballard’s MO so he doesn’t have to draft a QB.

He's who i voted for, i see it as unlikely Ballard will draft a QB again if he's here next year. Cousins just seems like a perfect Ballard QB to bring in.

9 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

He's who i voted for, i see it as unlikely Ballard will draft a QB again if he's here next year. Cousins just seems like a perfect Ballard QB to bring in.

I just voted Matt Ryan because going with a new QB every year is starting to look odd, I would stick with Matt since we have a 2 yr deal with him and draft a QB to sit behind him for 1 year. I think drafting a QB in 2023 would be the perfect time.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I just voted Matt Ryan because going with a new QB every year is starting to look odd, I would stick with Matt since we have a 2 yr deal with him and draft a QB to sit behind him for 1 year. I think drafting a QB in 2023 would be the perfect time.

That's a fair viewpoint. We'll have to see. If Matt keeps up the fumbles, I think we get rid of him after this year, if he cleans it up, we may keep him into next year. More than likely, Ballard stays next year, but I could also envision a scenario where both him and Reich get fired if we lose 10 or more games. We'll have to see what draft position we have at the end of the season.

15 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Same thoughts I had. The only thing that will complicate it is if Reich is fired and Ballard is kept around with Matt Ryan being the lame duck QB with a new HC coming in. If that is the case, Matt Ryan might even retire forcing our hand. I don't think he will stick around if Reich is fired and Ballard is retained, he doesn't want to be a part of a rebuilding team. He might stay if Ballard is let go and Reich is retained, I personally feel. 

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Same thoughts I had. The only thing that will complicate it is if Reich is fired and Ballard is kept around with Matt Ryan being the lame duck QB with a new HC coming in. If that is the case, Matt Ryan might even retire forcing our hand. I don't think he will stick around if Reich is fired and Ballard is retained, he doesn't want to be a part of a rebuilding team. He might stay if Ballard is let go and Reich is retained, I personally feel. 

We have to see how the season ends. What if still somehow miraculously win the division at 8-8-1 or 9-7-1, then Matt more than likely will play next year and can mentor a rookie. That would be ideal.

41 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I guess the logical choice would be to keep Ryan AND draft a guy. But it depends on whether or not Ballard is still around for the off season. 

You can almost guarantee Ballard won’t draft a QB in the first round the same way you know Howie Roseman won’t draft a LB in the first. 

16 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

You can almost guarantee Ballard won’t draft a QB in the first round the same way you know Howie Roseman won’t draft a LB in the first. 

Probably. But I’m not sure it’s going to matter if HE wants to draft a QB this off season. If we’re in position to get one of the top 3, I’m guessing Irsay will twist his arm. 

Matt has a dead cap hit of 35 million$ next year if we cut him.  

That feels like a long commitment, his arm and legs both look weak to me now.  he can hit layups but watch his throws outside the numbers and down the field, they dont look good

i would prefer a drafted qb next time

1 hour ago, Solid84 said:

I guess the logical choice would be to keep Ryan AND draft a guy. But it depends on whether or not Ballard is still around for the off season. 

That is what I think too. I think Ballard's job is fine. Frank will be gone if we don't win the division, JMO. So far the Titans and Jags both have played better ball, so Frank being on the hot seat is now legit. Yesterday's loss wasn't good. I just hope we draft the right QB. We could pick anywhere from 15th to 21st the way it is looking. I guess if we really stink, we could pick around 10th.

There are a lot of IFs regarding the future of the QB position from my perspective. 

-  I don’t want to see us draft a QB just to see Frank shoehorn him into his scheme. 
-  I’m not sure I want to see Ballard draft the future figurehead of this franchise. 
-  I’d still like our future QB to sit behind a veteran QB and learn for a season. 
-  Ryan has a MASSIVE cap hit next season. 

18 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Probably. But I’m not sure it’s going to matter if HE wants to draft a QB this off season. If we’re in position to get one of the top 3, I’m guessing Irsay will twist his arm. 

If Irsay feels like he has to force Ballard to draft a QB, then that would mean he’s lost confidence in Ballard to do his job, in which case he should let him go.

I would think Irsay is already on the fence with him since it’s rumored Irsay was the guy who wanted Wentz gone. It seems to me that was the last QB debacle Irsay will allow. If we miss the playoffs and Ryan is still fumbling the ball like crazy, I don’t think Irsay is giving Ballard another chance to fix the QB position.

Folks.... Its TIME.... 

I think this team this year is a .500 team

Next year......

We need to move up to get the QB of the future on this team in the coming DRAFT

Its not Sam E.  Its not Matt R.  Its not another +35 year old QB discarded from another team

We have foregone the OBVIOUS need and bandaided the process the last 5 years....... time to take a deep swing at a young QB

As an imperfect  believer in the good Lord myself, I WANT Reich to be successful

But.......  He may be a much better OC and QB coach than a HC.....

Again and Again (AND again)......  This team is not prepared for games

We need a new HC.... and a new rookie QB to develop .......   Until this is done .......

We will all be in the same boat about 50% of the time......

Jacksonville has started to move past us

You keep drafting until you get your QB of the future,

I saw the poll and 51% for drafting a QB.  They might draft one like they have over the recent years, but as we see, that means nothing.  I mentioned this in another thread, but it's time to stop getting these guys at the end of their career using them as stop gaps.   To reiterate what I have said before, the only way to get "that" guy is to have a crappy season, trade players and picks, or get really lucky drafting.

The only way we got Luck and Manning was the franchise had awful seasons before they came in.  

There are teams to that struggle for years finding that right person.

This is interesting to look at to see how some of these guys panned out.

http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/positions/qb

I think it will be Ryan.  So since this thread is for fun I would try to trade for Jordan Love this year. Maybe they would like Hines ,for example , for their run game.  If not Hines then another player.  Call up Lindsey.  Hines is not being used again this year on the Colts.  Ballard supposedly liked Love.  Bring him in behind Ryan and Foles.  Waive Sam.  If we don’t make the playoffs play Love the rest of the way.  Nothing to lose but Hines and Sam.  Losing those two wouldn’t bother me at all.  I think it would a fair price to pay for a prospect like Love.  The Packers would need a player that could help them immediately.  Just thinking out of the box.  Having a little fun at the quarterback position.

5 hours ago, jszfunk said:

I saw the poll and 51% for drafting a QB.  They might draft one like they have over the recent years, but as we see, that means nothing.  I mentioned this in another thread, but it's time to stop getting these guys at the end of their career using them as stop gaps.   To reiterate what I have said before, the only way to get "that" guy is to have a crappy season, trade players and picks, or get really lucky drafting.

The only way we got Luck and Manning was the franchise had awful seasons before they came in.  

There are teams to that struggle for years finding that right person.

This is interesting to look at to see how some of these guys panned out.

http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/positions/qb

I agree with your overall thought

But lets be honest....... hitting on a drafted QB is 30-50% for first round....... But......

You have to TRY

18 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

Trolling is different than just being stupid. So which are you? Wentz had better oline play than Ryan does currently. If you can give a constructive argument and reasoning as to why you have anything different to say, then I’ll listen. Otherwise, well, you’re just not very smart. 

Lol don’t ever change bud!

2 minutes ago, teganslaw said:

He'll be the next coach. The QB will be drafted. 

I really do think Ballard , Reich AND Irsay keep setting us back with these QB moves. Go back to pressers from these 3 and they were pretty much giggling with joy on signing Matt Ryan. They even went so far as to say Ryan would probably play 3 years for us. As far as a new coach , I think you're right with that one. Somebody has to pay the piper for this mediocrity ....

We talk about the O line issues but its important to consider we have Pryor at LT and a revolving door at RG. Ballard gambled on Pinter and for the foreseeable future he lost. Pinter may be a good backup center but not a guard. We have no real options to get to the place Glow was last year and he was average. So with Nelson, Kelly and Smith playing next to below average linemen does make a difference. Until that is fixed and the line plays better the QB position will be one not to covet. 

It will be Matt. Matt is a great QB, still has an arm as he has SHOWN. One of the problems is Frank is relying on the running game too much , refer to his presser.  Contrary Matt needs a lil time to throw or scheme for these quick passes.

Archived