Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should we sell this season

Boondoggle

16 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Uh... perhaps new scheme... 

Frank's scheme is run + force passes to RB and Pitt... 

Until we're down big

I do not think Frank knows how to use the talent he has.  That leaves us not knowing what we have.  in 2020 Cox had a huge game fairly early in the season.  (Spitt-balling) Around 8 catches for 120 yards and 2 TD's.   Had less than 2 targets in most games after.  

I was for starting Sam this year and using this year as a development year.  Getting Ryan gave me hope we could compete but I didn’t think the line would be THIS bad.  I thought with Nelson, Kelly, and Smith we’d take a little step back because of reed and glow leaving, but I didn’t expect those 3 to regress this bad.

And I’ll also eat crow on saying Ryan wouldn’t be apart of the reason why this team didn’t succeed.  I know I have 13 more weeks before it’s all said and done but so far ryan fumbles hasn’t helped this succeed.  Is he the main reason?  No, but he’s apart of it.

I had hope when we get Ryan, but that hope has dissipated since then.  0-2-1 in our division and it’s only week 4?  Yup, time to shut it down unless there’s some miracle turnaround 

11 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

I was for starting Sam this year and using this year as a development year.  Getting Ryan gave me hope we could compete but I didn’t think the line would be THIS bad.  I thought with Nelson, Kelly, and Smith we’d take a little step back because of reed and glow leaving, but I didn’t expect those 3 to regress this bad.

And I’ll also eat crow on saying Ryan wouldn’t be apart of the reason why this team didn’t succeed.  I know I have 13 more weeks before it’s all said and done but so far ryan fumbles hasn’t helped this succeed.  Is he the main reason?  No, but he’s apart of it.

I had hope when we get Ryan, but that hope has dissipated since then.  0-2-1 in our division and it’s only week 4?  Yup, time to shut it down unless there’s some miracle turnaround 

Good post. I think  we need to take a look at Sam if  the team continues to falter.  Why not? This franchise at some point has to start looking to the future and stop with the QB guys at the end of their career  and/or waiting for something/one to happen in the draft. It may not be fair to Matt, he has not been terrible, but not killing it either. I like Ryan, I think he is a quality player, but he has struggled at times and I have never seen a QB fumble so much in 4 games. Like you said he is not the main reason, but part of it.  How do you get a franchise QB in the draft? Tank for a high draft position, trade some key players and high picks or get really lucky.

Ballard has to figure this out  or he will at some point be out the door with Reich if things continue like this season has.   I think Irsay has been patient enough, 

5 hours ago, jszfunk said:

Good post. I think  we need to take a look at Sam if  the team continues to falter.  Why not? This franchise at some point has to start looking to the future and stop with the QB guys at the end of their career  and/or waiting for something/one to happen in the draft. It may not be fair to Matt, he has not been terrible, but not killing it either. I like Ryan, I think he is a quality player, but he has struggled at times and I have never seen a QB fumble so much in 4 games. Like you said he is not the main reason, but part of it.  How do you get a franchise QB in the draft? Tank for a high draft position, trade some key players and high picks or get really lucky.

Ballard has to figure this out  or he will at some point be out the door with Reich if things continue like this season has.   I think Irsay has been patient enough, 

it depends on how this season goes:

- if by some miracle we win the afc south, doubt we’ll be high enough to trade up and grab someone

- if we continue on the way we’re going, we’re going to end up in the top 10.  Right now we’re #13.  we continue to lose, we’ll have a good chance of grabbing a qb.  

with 0 division wins with 3 games played, we can at best finish even in the division.  Once again, some miracle that a team in the south collapse or outside of the division, at best we can hope for a 6-8 wild card spot.  I honestly think it’s not worth it to turn it around because our problems exist not only with the players, but the coaches and GM.  

if we finish in the top 10 and it’s not a definite we can grab stroud or young, I’m ok with us trading up.  We have to at this point.  

22 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I think u would be very surprised how much teams would not value him. A play off team going for it all would most likely not go after a lb. 

Leonard is still highly regarded around the league.  Teams know he's got a screw loose, but he is a difference maker on the field so him being an ILB doesn't matter.  I am certain teams would want him, question is what value you could get for him and who pays what on his salary.  If you can eat significant cap hit then the pick return goes up as generally the contenders are tight on cap.

I would keep JT and most of the younguns on the roster.  The move targets would be the old dogs.  You're generally better off letting them go compete in their remaining years because we might be talking a couple years of dev time for the young QB before he can fully take the reins and the window of winning is there.

Today I'm not feeling as dire about the team as I was last night.  I have to admit that.  But still it feels like we're on a road to nowhere.  I'm tired of feeling that way.

I'm going to say pull the trigger and do it. The day the season ends pull the plug on this regime.

Let the new GM and HC evaluate and pick what talent they want to keep and sell whatever you can to accumulate more picks. I know there's probably not a lot of takers but maybe some team might want someone. We need bullets for the draft. Ideally try to find a way to move up within the top 15-20ish at least if we have a pick within the top 3. Top 3 gets you a decent QB prospect this year. Top 15 go best LT available and let him and Raimann battle it out. I didn't factor in WR or DE because we'll be in range again the next year for that more than likely and we'll have a better sample size of Paye and Pierce by that time.

This approach probably takes longer than some would like. I'm not saying we're all trash either. We have some good pieces but in my opinion not the right spots. I know it would be hard to swing and get two top 20 picks. I over simplified a bit but hey I've seen crazier on draft day and crazier turnarounds as well.

9 hours ago, Myles said:

I do not think Frank knows how to use the talent he has.  That leaves us not knowing what we have.  in 2020 Cox had a huge game fairly early in the season.  (Spitt-balling) Around 8 catches for 120 yards and 2 TD's.   Had less than 2 targets in most games after.  

Yup. You're likely talking about MN... great game, and killed sail routes. Never used the same again.. 

IMO, Frank is stubborn 95%.. Same stuff again and again. Every once in a while, we something cool, and never see it again.

Archived