Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2022 Titans at Colts Post Game Thoughts (G4)

EastStreet

40 minutes ago, bsteves said:

I think the oline played a lot better today. The titans shut down the run and when Frank realized we can't and don't have to run every play the offense started clicking. 

It's unfortunate JT got hurt at the end. I think he looked a little lost after that fumble. Def a good possibility he got concussed on that play. Him being in there at the end instead of Hines could have made a difference, who knows?

Great halftime adjustments by the defense. 

I think we're growing and getting better week by week. I think we can be a force down the stretch.

Although today was a disappointment, there were plenty of good plays by the Colts. 
   The Titans played well in the first half and the deficit was too much.

This team has the right players to compete with anybody, they just need to clean some things up and play better. 
       After a loss, there’s going to be a lot of “noise”; “fire Frank”, “get rid of Ballad”, “ bench Ryan”! It’s normal for fans to overreact and project a disastrous season out of pure frustration.

But most of the issues are correctable. It’s a long season and the Colts are 1-2-1, not 0-4. 
     You can see glimpses of how good they can be. Like you said, it’s a week to week thing and you can see the Colts getting better in some areas and needing to clean some things up.

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Yep.

Thats our Trend, thats our Script.....can't win openers.....can't win in Jacksonville..... slow.starts in most games.

No one is apologizing for Reich. Every coach has bad plays every game but talent usually takes over. When you keep getting a new QB every year and have no consistancy it catches up with you.  Ballard and Irsay are equally the issue due thinking Ryan could still play QB.

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

We need to fire media too.

All the reporters that sucked up to Reich and Ballard for years, and created weekly excuses for them... 

Disagree. I would expect better performance. 

Not sure with our coaching past. Chuck wasn't better, he had Andrew at his very best from 2012-2014 so yeah he looked good then, everyone in here wanted him gone after 2015. Same ol' story. 

3 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Communication issues are mostly in the QB and center. Your QB has to be able to get you in better plays. Ryan is not doing that.

I think he was really bothered by that for today. Why Jackson and Hines didn’t get more snaps is beyond me.

Because we see what big play RBs can do.  They can turn one missed tackle by a defender into a TD.  

It was like this last year too.  There were plenty of times JT got stuffed (people seem to not see that last year) and then he breaks off a big run.  

I don't think Hines has any better vision than JT as a RB.  JMO.  I don't know anything about Jackson.

Just now, DougDew said:

Because we see what big play RBs can do.  They can turn one missed tackle by a defender into a TD.  

It was like this last year too.  There were plenty of times JT got stuffed (people seem to not see that last year) and then he breaks off a big run.  

I don't think Hines has any better vision than JT as a RB.  JMO.  I don't know anything about Jackson.

Titans knew stop Taylor and Ryan will fumble lol.

14 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Your missing  the point but that’s ok, The oline didn’t suddenly regress this much in a few months time even with a couple new players.

It's been on a downward trajectory ever since Reich had Dave DeGuglielmo fired.

Reich's decision.

The emergency head coach hire, which is what Reich was (For those that have forgotten), needs to be shown the door. 

But then another part of me wants him to stay to assure us a high first round draft pick... which I don't want Ballard touching. And that's another issue altogether...

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The plays have been the same for 5 years.  It looks like JT is missing reads like he did during his rookie year and the first 4 games of last year.   We still don't know who the real JT is....but we know he's fast.

He did miss reads. 

Ds assumed new stuff from Reich from each new QB lol..

They know better now. And JT wasn't elite prior to last year. 

Ds learned. Since 2H of 2021 season.

I think there is plenty of good to take from this game:

-  Pierce

-  Mo

-  Woods

-  even Granson

-  Hell, take out the fumbles and Matt actually had a pretty good game. 

The Oline and running game is a disaster though. 

I’m quessing we’re not getting a quarterly Ballard presser this year either?

Good:

Passing Game

Pittman/Pierce/Dulin/MO/Granson

Dayo

Grover (again! He deserves a better team)

Bad:

1H play calling (runs)

OL

Matt Ryan (you cannot fumble 8 times in 4 weeks, the rest does not matter.

I'm starting to think that was never the OL in ATL that was that bad. Have in mind this: week 4 and he has more turnovers than Wentz 2021.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Not sure with our coaching past. Chuck wasn't better, he had Andrew at his very best from 2012-2014 so yeah he looked good then, everyone in here wanted him gone after 2015. Same ol' story. 

The Pep-Then- Chud offense schemes were highly criticized.  But Chuck was not linked to the O.  He was linked to the D and overall in-game management.

27 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

can anyone explain ballard starting the season with pryor a career backup lineman at left tackle ?      draft a third round project guy and place a average backup starting a premium position ?   irsay should fire him just for that

I’ve been trying to figure that out as well. Ballard is cheap and passive is the only answer I’ve been able to come up with.

2 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Titans knew stop Taylor and Ryan will fumble lol.

Yeah, the QB fumbling has nothing to do with scheme, stacking the box, or even the oline.  It has to do with the QB, with a few exceptions.

That, and 7.5 ypc avg for Henry is why we lost the game in the first half.

10 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

Although today was a disappointment, there were plenty of good plays by the Colts. 
   The Titans played well in the first half and the deficit was too much.

This team has the right players to compete with anybody, they just need to clean some things up and play better. 
       After a loss, there’s going to be a lot of “noise”; “fire Frank”, “get rid of Ballad”, “ bench Ryan”! It’s normal for fans to overreact and project a disastrous season out of pure frustration.

But most of the issues are correctable. It’s a long season and the Colts are 1-2-1, not 0-4. 
     You can see glimpses of how good they can be. Like you said, it’s a week to week thing and you can see the Colts getting better in some areas and needing to clean some things up.

Here is the problem though. When you have Russian Roulette of QBs every single year plus 5 AFC South games in the first 7 games, and you have a traditionally slow starting team under Reich, you have dug a divisional hole that will work against you w.r.t all tie breakers. So you have to hope for a lot of breaks to go your way to win your division because it won't be any 4-0 streak at the end of the season when you are 4-8-1 or 5-7-1 that is going to save you, might be too little too late. 

10 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The plays have been the same for 5 years.  It looks like JT is missing reads like he did during his rookie year and the first 4 games of last year.   We still don't know who the real JT is....but we know he's fast.

Exactly. He looks like he did early as a rookie. 

1 minute ago, Solid84 said:

I think there is plenty of good to take from this game:

-  Pierce

-  Mo

-  Woods

-  even Granson

-  Hell, take out the fumbles and Matt actually had a pretty good game. 

The Oline and running game is a disaster though. 

I’m quessing we’re not getting a quarterly Ballard presser this year either?

Campbell had a good game too. I hope he does the quarter thing so I can laugh at his excuses. lol 

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Pagano (chopping wood) was meh. Reich (climb the mountain) is worse. 

No more meh coaches this time.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We suck, lets move the team and fire them all and matt need to retire. There I just made 50 people happy. Post of the year right here Happy Season 17 GIF by The Simpsons

Doubt that makes people happy for long. Only happy until they see the new regimes short comings like all others before them, except the Polian/Manning era, which was our Golden Years. (David Bowie song :heart:)

We continue to start slow. Offensive line can not block anything. We constantly run up the middle and no sweeps, stretches, nothing. Just up the middle into a swarm of defenders. Frank can not beat anyone in our division. LT, RG terrible. Defense couldn’t stop anything the entire first half. 

4 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Doubt that makes people happy for long. Only happy until they see the new regimes short comings like all others before them, except the Polian/Manning era, which was our Golden Years. (David Bowie song :heart:)

I don't think anything will make people happy but I am over it. Even in the Peyton era, it was we only won 1 SB, in the Luck era, it was yeah we were good but he couldn't beat the Pats. I will agree as of now this doesn't look good, so lets fire them all.

4 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Communication issues are mostly in the QB and center. Your QB has to be able to get you in better plays. Ryan is not doing that.

I think he was really bothered by that for today. Why Jackson and Hines didn’t get more snaps is beyond me.

Autry made two plays this game that were big. The fumble in the 1Q which he simply destroyed Nelson and got a clean hit on Ryan to cause the fumble, and the last sack in the 4th quarter where he pushed Pryor to pick another one of the OL and get the easy sack to end the game.

In what universe can Ryan call something to stop that? They just beat the OL very simply. Maybe last game where there were more blitzes Ryan could have done better to call things out, but most of the big plays for the Titans D this week came from their front 4 simply beating our OL. Frankly, the Colts did a lot better when they did decide to blitz this week in picking it up with the RBs and TEs.

Look, I'm not saying Ryan is better than Wentz or he is still an elite QB. I thought he would be similar to PR when we had him, and he more or less looks that way if not a slight bit worse. 

But the OL is a lot worse then last year, and if you want to take pass blocking out of the mix, which they weren't super good at last year either, then just look at the run game. Ryan isn't involved in that aspect at all and the Colts were a top tier run blocking team last year. The OL regressed hard.

The bottom line is:  we are now 0-2-1 against division opponents.  Our chances of winning the division are next to nada.  Which means our chance of going to the playoffs (yes, Jim Mora, playoffs) is pretty much zero.

From a 30,000 foot view, this means:  The Plan has failed.  From the structure of the team, to the acquisition of Ryan, to the salary cap, to the players we chose not to re-sign.  The Plan.  Chris Ballard's Plan.

I don't see how either Frank or Chris keep their jobs.

On a related note:  There were 5 games that were most important to Irsay for us to win.  We've now flubbed three of them.  The other two?  The Carson Wentz game and the Make Up For Collapsing Against The Raiders game.

Seriously, if Ballard and Reich aren't fired by the time we get to Oct 30, they most certainly will be, if we lose to Wentz.

1 minute ago, colts89 said:

Autry made two plays this game that were big. The fumble in the 1Q which he simply destroyed Nelson and got a clean hit on Ryan to cause the fumble, and the last sack in the 4th quarter where he pushed Pryor to pick another one of the OL and get the easy sack to end the game.

In what universe can Ryan call something to stop that? They just beat the OL very simply. Maybe last game where there were more blitzes Ryan could have done better to call things out, but most of the big plays for the Titans D this week came from their front 4 simply beating our OL. Frankly, the Colts did a lot better when they did decide to blitz this week in picking it up with the RBs and TEs.

Look, I'm not saying Ryan is better than Wentz or he is still an elite QB. I thought he would be similar to PR when we had him, and he more or less looks that way if not a slight bit worse. 

But the OL is a lot worse then last year, and if you want to take pass blocking out of the mix, which they weren't super good at last year either, then just look at the run game. Ryan isn't involved in that aspect at all and the Colts were a top tier run blocking team last year. The OL regressed hard.

We are missing Glow big time. 

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

He did miss reads. 

Ds assumed new stuff from Reich from each new QB lol..

They know better now. And JT wasn't elite prior to last year. 

Ds learned. Since 2H of 2021 season.

I think overall the D has learned to simply be more aggressive, from about AZ/LVR last year.  Nothing about our O scares them, neither the play calls or the players.  They are not worried about either.

The way to beat that is for PC or Dulin to catch a short pass and take it too the house.  Then they will back off the short patterns a bit to ensure the play is kept in front of them.    

Ryan is not Rivers.  @Nicksterwas right about that.  A quick read quick throwing guy he is not.  He looks like he's a less mobile weaker armed version of Wentz, only a little calmer.

Nelson is toast. So is Moore. Leonard is hurt, but we should not be paying so much $$ to a player that cant stay healthy. Consistently once our guys get paid, their play declines. Taylor has massively regressed and its not just the O line (though that is not helping), he is getting solo tackled when he would slip those easily last year. 

This team gives up in the big moments. There is something wrong with the culture. 

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Fans like @Rhodelesstraveled, @Moosejawcolt, and @Indeeeare celebrating today because we lost a huge game. What kind of fan does that Clint Eastwood Coffee GIF

You seriously just don't get it and quite frankly it only shows how inept you are at understanding the game of football and it's time for you to go take a nap

We told most of you going on 3-4 years now this team was not being constructed properly yet because Ballard gets up there and acts like a guy's guy, everybody gets enamored and loses sight of the fact that this guy has basically drafted "Project" players to fill roles of premium NFL positions and refused to pay for premium NFL position talent all while preaching "Coaching" these project players into greatness with a less than adequate coaching staff...:lol:

It's that simple, but that big complex brain of yours just can't relate to simplicity I guess

I am celebrating because this team blows and I for one told you so!!!!!!

Just now, John Hammonds said:

The bottom line is:  we are now 0-2-1 against division opponents.  Our chances of winning the division are next to nada.  Which means our chance of going to the playoffs (yes, Jim Mora, playoffs) is pretty much zero.

From a 30,000 foot view, this means:  The Plan has failed.  From the structure of the team, to the acquisition of Ryan, to the salary cap, to the players we chose not to re-sign.  The Plan.  Chris Ballard's Plan.

I don't see how either Frank or Chris keep their jobs.

On a related note:  There were 5 games that were most important to Irsay for us to win.  We've now flubbed three of them.  The other two?  The Carson Wentz game and the Make Up For Collapsing Against The Raiders game.

Seriously, if Ballard and Reich aren't fired by the time we get to Oct 30, they most certainly will be, if we lose to Wentz.

I hate for hoping Ls... Makes me feel sick thinking of it. 

But if Reich is still here 10/16 or 10/30, I might hope for Ls.... 

If that's what it takes.... lol

1 minute ago, Indeee said:

You seriously just don't get it and quite frankly it only shows how inept you are at understanding the game of football and it's time for you to go take a nap

We told most of you going on 3-4 years now this team was not being constructed properly yet because Ballard gets up there and acts like a guy's guy, everybody gets enamored and loses sight of the fact that this guy has basically drafted "Project" players to fill roles of premium NFL positions and refused to pay for premium NFL position talent all while preaching "Coaching" these project players into greatness with a less than adequate coaching staff...:lol:

It's that simple, but that big complex brain of yours just can't relate to simplicity I guess

I am celebrating because this team blows and I for one told you so!!!!!!

i just want a young franchise QB  i rather tank than go 8-9 every year with a band aid QB  .  we can hit on one guy and make the franchise  good again like manning did .

Archived