Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2022 Titans at Colts Post Game Thoughts (G4)

EastStreet

It’s taken us 3 games and 2 quarters to make adjustments on offense, but they mostly worked! Who would have thought including other players than Pitt and JT would yield good results?… I mean everyone did… beside the Colts offensive coaching staff…

Last week against the Chiefs Ryan had a YPA of 6…

Today? 9.6. MUCH better. 

We lost because our game plan on O sucked *… AGAIN. Spent an entire half bumbling around.
  We lost because the defense didn’t want to play until 2nd half. Couldn’t get a stop at all. 
  We lost because of turnovers. If Matt wants to make a run for it, fine, but stop flailing around with the ball while doing it. 

I think JT’s confidence is down the toilet right now. He’s had 3 REALLY bad games and ended it today with a fumble that sealed the game. 

Still, I hope we build off of these last 2 quarters and come out stronger against the Broncos… I still believe it’s going to start with a run up the middle, though…

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

Hines up the middle never works.

Franked... 

10 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

Swing passes and bubble screens never work in this offense. 

We heard more layups (short RB passes) were all we needed to win big!

IIRC, we led the NFL in RB targets lol.. 

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

Good:  our second half D.

bad: everything else.

request in order:

Fire The OL coach

Bench Matt Ryan

Fire Frank Reich.

trade Ryan Kelly:

trade Leonard.

tank the rest of season for top 3 pick.

I agree with most of this. I think it's going to take atleast a couple of picks packaged if we don't flame out. Which I have a feeling this team will somehow figure out a way to be just out reach of a top 5 pick but not far. Ballard honestly wouldn't trade them to move up anyway. At this point I don't know what we'd get for Kelly with his age or Leonard for that matter because he seems a bit injury prone. But it's literally all we have outside of Nelson and I really don't see anyone trading anything for a guard with the contract he has.

I'd try for Levis from Kentucky. He should be available within the top 5 and we may be close to that. With what happened yesterday at Ole Miss. Which wasn't his best showing but the kids got all the tools to be elite on the next level.

1 minute ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Why make any moves if you are going to “tank.”  Leonard isn’t going to bring much with his injuries, and, neither is Kelly.

Gather draft picks and reload next season while cutting under performing contracts from your roster. I’m a HUGE Nelson fan but right now, he’s borderline junk as well. Same with Smith. 

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

I’ve always been on the fire Reich train. But I’m firmly on the fire Ballard train as well. He should be fire for the Matt Pryor fiasco alone. The guy has no business out there.

I noticed today, they had Fries in, Pryor at TE a lot

Why This thread is going to be littered with knee jerk reactions. Here are my thoughts. 

1. Nyheim Hines (whether it’s his fault or not) upsets me. He upsets me returning punts and he upsets me when he gets space and still can’t make anybody miss.

2. I really like Matt Ryan. Just needs to stop the fumbling %.

3. Granson and Mo and even Woods played great today.

4. Why do we employ kickers that can’t make field goals.

5. Dayo looked really good.

6. Tennessee made sure Taylor wasn’t going to beat them today.

Gus needs to drop the zone on key downs. It's sickening to watch how many free releases the Titans got, especially considering how average their WR corps is. Colts decided to man up in the 2nd half and they got stops.

Frank's on the hot seat. I was literally screaming to stop running Taylor between the tackles. Run a dam pitch or toss. Jim Irsay asked us to bring the noise and we brought it. We were way too loud for the team to be so lifeless in the 1st half.

14 minutes ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

TN DL killed the OL.  Nelson won't like this tape.  Simmons and Autry destroyed him.  Autry swim move on Nelson to win the game was disgusting.  Ryan with his fumbles.  Never ends.  

Taylor could do nothing with no movement from the OL.  

This game went as I thought it would.  

Leonard should have never played.  He isnt ready.  

Speed needs to stay on the field. Kid is really good 

We almost were given this game by Vrabel going uber conservative.  

Frustrating.  

I love it. I was so right on both Nelson and Leonard.  What an absolute waste of money. Also Kelly, Smith and Hines have been a waste of money. Wow just wow.

Just now, IrsaysArmy said:

Why This thread is going to be littered with knee jerk reactions. Here are my thoughts. 

1. Nyheim Hines (whether it’s his fault or not) upsets me. He upsets me returning punts and he upsets me when he gets space and still can’t make anybody miss.

Hines baffles me. All I have ever heard is get him into space but when he is more often than not he freezes like a deer in the headlights.

Wentz had the best run game in the NFL backing him last year and an OL that was at least okay at pass blocking last year (minus Fisher in some games).

I was never on the getting rid of the Wentz train, I really wanted him to stay at least one more year due to it being easy to cut him the third year if he played badly this year. However, I have no doubt this offense would still look similarly as bad with Wentz back there as it would Ryan. He never carried the offense, the run game did.

Obviously the answer to all of our problems is to run JT up the middle on every first and 10 so that way we can throw to a RB in the flat on 2nd and 9 to set up 3rd and 8 which is perfect for Matt to killed and either fumble or break in our new punter. I don’t know how you guys think this isn’t a bulletproof idea. Frank is a genius.

25 minutes ago, James said:

Same old crap. It’s been a pattern for a long time, yet Reich apologists will still be here defending their guy.

Slow start. Unprepared. 

Frank has got to go.

I second your motion, and while I'm listed as a newbie here on the site I've been rooting for the Colts for 57 years. Time for a regime change and clean house!

4 minutes ago, IrsaysArmy said:

It’s not knee jerks. It’s the same crap coaching that for the last several years has cost us game after game. Reich can not figure out how to use his players until 3 months after the rest of the league

4 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I love it. I was so right on both Nelson and Leonard.  What an absolute waste of money. Also Kelly, Smith and Hines have been a waste of money. Wow just wow.

Sad to say, but I’m about to accept my crow on this one. You may very well be right.

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I've been crucified in here before because I hated the Nelson pick from day 1. Hated it then and hate the monster extension more. Generational or not he's a guard and most of last year when he missed time I really didn't notice because of a Reed. What happened to that guy again? Oh yeah. :facepalm:

11 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

It’s taken us 3 games and 2 quarters to make adjustments on offense, but they mostly worked! Who would have thought including other players than Pitt and JT would yield good results?… I mean everyone did… beside the Colts offensive coaching staff…

Last week against the Chiefs Ryan had a YPA of 6…

Today? 9.6. MUCH better. 

We lost because our game plan on O sucked *… AGAIN. Spent an entire half bumbling around.
  We lost because the defense didn’t want to play until 2nd half. Couldn’t get a stop at all. 
  We lost because of turnovers. If Matt wants to make a run for it, fine, but stop flailing around with the ball while doing it. 

I think JT’s confidence is down the toilet right now. He’s had 3 REALLY bad games and ended it today with a fumble that sealed the game. 

Still, I hope we build off of these last 2 quarters and come out stronger against the Broncos… I still believe it’s going to start with a run up the middle, though…

We lost because the QB fumbles twice and had a INT.

3 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Yeah I agree. I go back and forth on Ballard and Reich. However when uour qb has fumbled like 9 times in 4 games. That has to be historic. U take away most of the fumbles and the Colts could be  3 and 1. Totally different look. Ryan has been far worse than Wentz . Irsay cannot blame anyone if he truly made the decision to dump Wentz. Like u said what would have happened if he came back for a 2nd year? I think what people r forgetting is that Reich  has had to start every year with a different qb. Yea playcalling may not be there. Do u really think even the great coaches would have done any better. I attribute a lot of the slow starts to the new qbs every year and players feeling each other out . But Ryan has been an absolute joke like I mean maybe the worst veteran qb signing ever in the NFL. This is a historic melt down by a supposed almost hall of famer qb. Get a pair Ryan and man up.

Matt Ryan can't be expected to make chicken salad out of chicken % at this point in his career. He is a statue who needs some semblance of an offensive line. When the line has held up, Ryan has made plays. When the line crumbles (which is way too often), he crumbles. Plus, no run game support, plus lack luster targets (though Pierce and Woods look like they'll be good). 

I'm not saying Ryan is without blame, but there's a hell of a lot of blame.

And Wentz is still % in Washington and has no game winning ability.

ballard pays 7 million for a backup running back that does nothing for the team and lets autry walk for 7 million a year because he didnt wanna guarantee slightly more money ............       pays 20 million for a guard when reed filled in just fine for nelson last year .   speed plays fine for leonard also not a massive drop off .      stop paying huge contracts for non premium positions and being cheap on guys like autry

23 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

We are just not very good. Its more than coaching, its just not a well constructed team either.  If we don’t play near mistake free we can’t win. Neither the offense or defense is dynamic. All of this adds up to be being average. 

typical ballard talent level

5 minutes ago, csmopar said:

It’s not knee jerks. It’s the same crap coaching that for the last several years has cost us game after game. Reich can not figure out how to use his players until 3 months after the rest of the league

How did coaching cause the QB to fumble like that and throw a INT. Ten fumbles in 4 games.  This game was on Matt Ryan.

1 minute ago, coming on strong said:

ballard pays 7 million for a backup running back that does nothing for the team and lets autry walk for 7 million a year because he didnt wanna guarantee slightly more money ............       pays 20 million for a guard when reed filled in just fine for nelson last year .   speed plays fine for leonard also not a massive drop off .      stop paying huge contracts for non premium positions and being cheap on guys like autry

typical ballard flubs

1 minute ago, coming on strong said:

Nelson got paid that amount because he is the best player at his position. Why do you expect 56 to save an entire offensive line? He doesn't play center, or LT. He also doesn't choose the run calls either. 

AS for hines, he is definitely overpaid. 

1 minute ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

How did coaching cause the QB to fumble like that and throw a INT. Ten fumbles in 4 games.  This game was on Matt Ryan.

The ball got tipped, not really too bad for Ryan to have thrown that one? And people are saying that Reichs play calling sure doesn't help. 

Just now, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

1st and 10- run up the middle to the stack box: loss of 2

2nd and 12, Hines sweep, loss of 3.

3 and forever, sack, fumble, INT

repeat every series.

3 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

We lost because the QB fumbles twice and had a INT.

1 minute ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

The fact you're blaming Ryan for that int says it all.

1 minute ago, ColtsLegacy said:

Matt Ryan can't be expected to make chicken salad out of chicken % at this point in his career. He is a statue who needs some semblance of an offensive line. When the line has held up, Ryan has made plays. When the line crumbles (which is way too often), he crumbles. Plus, no run game support, plus lack luster targets (though Pierce and Woods look like they'll be good). 

I'm not saying Ryan is without blame, but there's a hell of a lot of blame.

And Wentz is still % in Washington and has no game winning ability.

I don’t get this. He fumbles and is careless with the ball. That is on him. Ten fumbles in four games. Ryan is clearly not very good at reading defenses either. How that got by Ballard and Reich before the trade is beyond me. He has made the protection look way worse.

Just now, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I don’t get this. He fumbles and is careless with the ball. That is on him. Ten fumbles in four games. Ryan is clearly not very good at reading defenses either. How that got by Ballard and Reich before the trade is beyond me. He has made the protection look way worse.

This I agree with. 

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

1st and 10- run up the middle to the stack box: loss of 2

2nd and 12, Hines sweep, loss of 3.

3 and forever, sack, fumble, INT

repeat every series.

But your just going to ignore all the fumbles that killed drives and turned it over to the Titans . That was way worse then Reich’s play calling.

Just now, coming on strong said:

Sub par scat backs are worth more than having effective DE's. You didn't get the memos? It's chapter 4 in the Bible of Ballard.

Archived