Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor 2022 vs 2021???

EastStreet

6 minutes ago, Nickster said:

JT doesn't bounce.  He'e poor running laterally.  He is a between the tackles downhill runner.  Generally he gains yardage outside only when the play has been walled off by the blockers.

That TD by Henry is a perfect example of JT's limitations.  JT goes nowhere there, Henry bounces outside laterally at his size for the score.  

JT has burst Henry doesn't have, but Taylor is about as dependent at excellent clear holes at the LOS as any really good to great RB is or has ever been. 

Been saying it since he came into the league.  

Dougie some of the same cool kids who were like me advocating for Taylor running downhill are now wanting him to run stretches and sweeps lol.  Funny that. 

Henry had perfect blocking on that play and a hole you could drive a dump truck through. Taylor is getting bottled up right when he gets the ball.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Henry had perfect blocking on that play and a hole you could drive a dump truck through. Taylor is getting bottled up right when he gets the ball.

Uhh no.  Watch the play again.  He leaves a defender in the dust who is right in front of him.

Bestie, you must be thinking of a different play.

9 minutes ago, Nickster said:

JT doesn't bounce.  He'e poor running laterally.  He is a between the tackles downhill runner.  Generally he gains yardage outside only when the play has been walled off by the blockers.

That TD by Henry is a perfect example of JT's limitations.  JT goes nowhere there, Henry bounces outside laterally at his size for the score.  

JT has burst Henry doesn't have, but Taylor is about as dependent on clear holes at the LOS as any really good to great RB is or has ever been. 

Been saying it since he came into the league.  I think Taylor with thrive with Read Option QB reading the ends.

Dougie, some of the same cool kids who were like me advocating for Taylor running downhill are now wanting him to run stretches and sweeps lol.  Funny that. 

I've see JT bounce it outside to just off of the tackle, but I've never seen him run towards the boundary then turn it up field.

I think he could be decent at running the stretch play.  The RB doesn't go full speed sideways until the ball is handed to him , or else he'd outrun the QB, so he makes his cut just before turning on the speed, IMO.

But sweeps are different and he does not have the corner turning stability for those.

I also think he would not run tosses very well.  Has to turn and look back and that's not easy for a a straight ahead sprinter.

So between the tackles plays....or just off hackle... are really the only solid running plays that can be called for him.....same deal with our backups.  JMO.  More off tackle plays would be nice though.

3 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Uhh no.  Watch the play again.  He leaves a defender in the dust who is right in front of him.

Bestie, you must be thinking of a different play.

Maybe I am haha . He had so many good runs so it is possible. I do remember when he ran that TD to the outside nobody was around him. Henry is a great RB though so with him nothing surprises me.

Just now, DougDew said:

I've see JT bounce it outside to just off of the tackle, but I've never seen him run towards the boundary then turn it up field.

I think he could be decent at running the stretch play.  The RB doesn't go full speed sideways until the ball is handed to him , or else he'd outrun the QB, so he makes his cut just before turning on the speed, IMO.

But sweeps are different and he does not have the corner turning stability for those.

I also think he would not run tosses very well.  Has to turn and look back and that's not easy for a a straight ahead sprinter.

So between the tackles plays....or just off hackle... are really the only solid running plays that can be called for him.....same deal with our backups.  JMO.  More off tackle plays would be nice though.

I think the stretch play takes him out of his strength a little bit as his momentum is going sideways.  But it would be really helpful with with Ryan's PA skills if we could run that play effectively.  Mack did it well and they tried it with JT quite a bit his rookie year, but it didn't work.  I don't recall them trying it too much since then. 

Some toss sweeps, power type of runs want the RBs shoulders square to the los, so those could be effective possibly. 

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Maybe I am haha . He had so many good runs so it is possible. I do remember when he ran that TD to the outside nobody was around him. Henry is a great RB though so with him nothing surprises me.

And I am not saying necessarily that Henry is better than JT or vice versa.  But what I am saying is that Big Ole Henry is actually a much more nimble runner than Taylor. 

2 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I think the stretch play takes him out of his strength a little bit as his momentum is going sideways.  But it would be really helpful with with Ryan's PA skills if we could run that play effectively.  Mack did it well and they tried it with JT quite a bit his rookie year, but it didn't work.  I don't recall them trying it too much since then. 

Some toss sweeps, power type of runs want the RBs shoulders square to the los, so those could be effective possibly. 

And I am not saying necessarily that Henry is better than JT or vice versa.  But what I am saying is that Big Ole Henry is actually a much more nimble runner than Taylor. 

Henry is stronger, he is built like a LB so is tough to bring down. Taylor is fast once he gets space he is gone. Imagine a team that had Taylor and Henry, that would thunder and lightning at its best.

8 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Just to follow up.  We've had straight running RBs for a long time...not all on Ballard/Frank.   Marlon Mack.  Frank Gore was a straight ahead between the Ts runner.  TRich was.  Dammit Donald Brown too.  Joseph Addai had a WRs type body so he was basically a straight ahead runner, but had that little jump cut and more shake than the others.  

Ahmed Bradshaw and Edge are my two favorite Colts RBs I can remember.  I think they were the most versatile, and could find open space by themselves.  Maybe Vic Ballard, but his time was so short I can't remember his style.

Yeah, I can remember them trying JT on some different runs his rookie year.  He didn't have a great rookie year.

24 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Just to follow up.  We've had straight running RBs for a long time...not all on Ballard/Frank.   Marlon Mack.  Frank Gore was a straight ahead between the Ts runner.  TRich was.  Dammit Donald Brown too.  Joseph Addai had a WRs type body so he was basically a straight ahead runner, but had that little jump cut and more shake than the others.  

Ahmed Bradshaw and Edge are my two favorite Colts RBs I can remember.  I think they were the most versatile, and could find open space by themselves.  Maybe Vic Ballard, but his time was so short I can't remember his style.

Yeah, I can remember them trying JT on some different runs his rookie year.  He didn't have a great rookie year.

Mack was really good at the stretch play.  Man I really disagree with you about Mack running outside.  I've seen you post that a few times.  If you just watch the SD game on this 2019 highlight reel you see him running laterally to the los and toward the boundary a few times very effectively.  

look at the TD at 3:35

5 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Mack was really good at the stretch play.  Man I really disagree with you about Mack running outside.  I've seen you post that a few times.  If you just watch the SD game on this 2019 highlight reel you see him running laterally to the los and toward the boundary a few times very effectively.  

You're right.  I'll stop saying that.  I also remember saying that before the injury, I wanted Mack to stay and Hines to leave because I thought Mack actually was better in the open field than Hines.  But people shot me down by saying that Mack did not catch very well.

I remember Mack's big runs as finding a crease in the middle, but yes, there were a lot of different runs with Mack.

Was Frank calling those running plays with JB at QB?  LOL. 

8 minutes ago, DougDew said:

You're right.  I'll stop saying that.  I also remember saying that before the injury, I wanted Mack to stay and Hines to leave because I thought Mack actually was better in the open field than Hines.  But people shot me down by saying that Mack did not catch very well.

I remember Mack's big runs as finding a crease in the middle, but yes, there were a lot of different runs with Mack.

Was Frank calling those running plays with JB at QB?  LOL. 

That is funny that last.

I liked Mack.  Just had trouble staying on the field,  He was good and good at pass pro too. 

5 hours ago, Nickster said:

JT has burst Henry doesn't have, but Taylor is about as dependent on clear holes at the LOS as any really good to great RB is or has ever been. 

Been saying it since he came into the league.  I think Taylor would thrive with Read Option QB reading the ends.

Dougie, some of the same cool kids who were like me advocating for Taylor running downhill are now wanting him to run stretches and sweeps lol.  Funny that. 

Start sam lol

Another one.

If you watch these 3 plays, and don't question Frank and Strausser, you have issues lol.. 

Play 1

Only 7 in box, and 4 on DL.... and in zone... Ryan Kelly bull dozed backwards and almost takes pulling TE out (had vs KC too)

Play 2

The OL is going power/man (instead zone/finesse) and we get a hole, and yardage... more power/man

Play 3

Baldi says "the dumbest blocking scheme I've ever seen"..... cute/finesse scheme, trying to use Granson vs Simmons (stud)... Hey @DougDew please explain the brilliance here. lol...

18 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Another one.

If you watch these 3 plays, and don't question Frank and Strausser, you have issues lol.. 

Play 1

Only 7 in box, and 4 on DL.... and in zone... Ryan Kelly bull dozed backwards and almost takes pulling TE out (had vs KC too)

Play 2

The OL is going power/man (instead zone/finesse) and we get a hole, and yardage... more power/man

Play 3

Baldi says "the dumbest blocking scheme I've ever seen"..... cute/finesse scheme, trying to use Granson vs Simmons (stud)... Hey @DougDew please explain the brilliance here. lol...

Yeah the 3rd one was bad! That 2nd run we had looked like old JT. That was poor blocking on the 3rd one.

21 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah the 3rd one was bad! That 2nd run we had looked like old JT. That was poor blocking on the 3rd one.

Dude... the 2nd isn't old JT.

It's old power/man OL scheme... 

JT is the same guy. 

And not poor blocking on the 3rd. It was horrible play calling and atrocious play design by Reich/Strausser.

Granson vs Simmons... what the hell... who thought that was a great idea... 

@Nickster watch Baldi's 2 vids.. 

48 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Dude... the 2nd isn't old JT.

It's old power/man OL scheme... 

JT is the same guy. 

And not poor blocking on the 3rd. It was horrible play calling and atrocious play design by Reich/Strausser.

Granson vs Simmons... what the hell... who thought that was a great idea... 

@Nickster watch Baldi's 2 vids.. 

The 2nd run was great but I get the concept we won the line of scrimmage. The 3rd play was just awful all around and made no sense.

19 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The 2nd run was great but I get the concept we won the line of scrimmage. The 3rd play was just awful all around and made no sense.

Recommend reading OL schemes. Just basics are good.

Basic zone vs man.

Some say angle instead man. Some say power instead man. Some say gap is a 3rd type, but some include with man (bucket all three man/angle/gap) vs zone. 

11 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Another one.

Play 1

Play 2

Play 3

LOL.  You keep making the wrong assumptions about the role of coaches and play callers, which then leads to you ask the wrong questions.

The question is, how would a coach on the sidelines know how the dline is going to line up, so why would he be responsible for the blocking scheme on any one play?  Please explain how a brilliant coach would know how wide the gaps are before they are created?

Or are good coaches supposed to be an egotistical control freak pseudo-executive that is too insecure to let their leaders on the field adjust the blocking schemes and must control each player's movements from the sidelines?  If that coach thinks it's his responsibility to make decisions from the sidelines that are instead best left to the people closest to the problem, that person/coach has issues....lol.

The coaches are the same.  What's different over the years is the personnel in 40% of the oline and 100% of the QB positions. 

5 hours ago, DougDew said:

LOL.  You keep making the wrong assumptions about the role of coaches and play callers, which then leads to you ask the wrong questions.

The question is, how would a coach on the sidelines know how the dline is going to line up, so why would he be responsible for the blocking scheme on any one play?  Please explain how a brilliant coach would know how wide the gaps are before they are created?

Or are good coaches supposed to be an egotistical control freak pseudo-executive that is too insecure to let their leaders on the field adjust the blocking schemes and must control each player's movements from the sidelines?  If that coach thinks it's his responsibility to make decisions from the sidelines that are instead best left to the people closest to the problem, that person/coach has issues....lol.

The coaches are the same.  What's different over the years is the personnel in 40% of the oline and 100% of the QB positions. 

You're hilarious... 

We know TN has a great DL... So if Granson is twisting with a RT, he's going to be against a good DL.... regardless..... 

Did you hear Baldi... "dumbest ever".... I guess he's wrong too. 

You have no clue. Hilarious. 

Archived