Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Same Gameplan Against Tannehill?

Smonroe

Yes, he's nowhere near as dynamic as Mahomes, but he can and will run. 

He hasn't run much this season so far, but I expect bootlegs since we'll be concentrating on Henry.

I also don't think he can throw on the run with as much accuracy as Patrick.  But I'd rather keep him in the pocket and make him pass the ball.

I expect them to target Hooper a lot more too.

Just want to beat these guys so bad!!!

9 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

He hasn't run much this season so far, but I expect bootlegs since we'll be concentrating on Henry.

I also don't think he can throw on the run with as much accuracy as Patrick.  But I'd rather keep him in the pocket and make him pass the ball.

Yea edge play has to be great , back side end has to play that boot and we have to play tight coverage to stop them 15-20 yard boot crossing route Ryan like to get confidence 

AQM for some reason played the boot leg better than anyone else, I saw him do that well vs the Packers too, no wonder Eberflus took him with him. Turay and Banogu did not do well. But when we had Justin Houston, we set the edge better.

Paye has to be the edge setter while Ngakoue has to be the rusher but if we get into a situation where Ngakoue is relied on to be an edge setter, we may not fare well on that front. We will see.

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I want to beat these guys just as BAD is you..

Tannehill always seems to have legs that can just run on us every game. Maybe not but it feels that way.

Pressure him and don't let him escape out of the pocket and please Colts no mis tackles.

3 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Tannehill struggles the most when he has pressure so as long as we can pressure him he won’t threaten this defense. And I would put Gilmore on Burks to shut him down and make his other WRs beat us. 

A lot will depend on if Buckner plays though. He’s huge in helping stop Henry and with an interior rush. 

We have no business losing this game. I think Taylor has his 1st big game and we clean things up. The game will be close IMO but we should win. It would be a huge win being that it is divisional and more than likely will put us in 1st place. Jags play at Philly. Tannehill has 0 deep threats and we are great against stopping the run, giving up only 2.6 yards a carry.

7 minutes ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

The OL wins or loses this game.  TN DL is legit.  

Ryan Tannehill isn't playing Wentz, he is playing a Hall of Fame QB now, I like our chances. I do agree though that our O.Line needs to play better. Last week was ugly with not picking up the blitz. They lost Landry for the season which is a huge blow.

4 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Mahomes throws a ton short passes too, but he's able to toss deep passes too. Mahomes is faster running, but Tannehill is a good runner. While Tannehill doesn't go deep, he's not super short (good intermediate game, and good AY/A.

In short, we should do what opponents do vs Indy...  Shallow D (defend shallow passes, and run).

If I'm Tannehill/Vrabel, target Moore in verts. 

22 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We have no business losing this game. I think Taylor has his 1st big game and we clean things up. The game will be close IMO but we should win. It would be a huge win being that it is divisional and more than likely will put us in 1st place. Jags play at Philly. Tannehill has 0 deep threats and we are great against stopping the run, giving up only 2.6 yards a carry.

We had no business in T'ing Houston, or L'ing to Jax. 

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Mahomes throws a ton short passes too, but he's able to toss deep passes too. Mahomes is faster running, but Tannehill is a good runner. While Tannehill doesn't go deep, he's not super short (good intermediate game, and good AY/A.

In short, we should do what opponents do vs Indy...  Shallow D (defend shallow passes, and run).

True, so I am not taking a win for granted. I think the Jags are now an above average football team though. We should've flat out beat the Texans though but I give you Blakenship. It would not shock me if the Jags beat Philly this week, I am picking Philly but not by much.

7 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Mahomes is not faster than Tannehill. 

40 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Tannehill is sneaky fast. If he has room to run he can burn you. We have to watch him running out of the pocket.

The guy to watch is Robert Woods between the 20s, IMO, and those TEs in the flat that become open because of Henry and the boot leg attention.

Once they’re in the red zone, they can be deadly because they’re going to go 6 OL on you with Henry and they have thrown plenty of passes to OL guys, Ala Vrabel when he caught those “extra man eligible” passes in the playoffs and SB from Tom Brady. They threw a few OL TDs in the playoffs lately and the Tebow jump pass from Henry to a TE too.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It’s no embarrassment to lose to Tennessee,  but yes, we should beat them.   Taylor had over 160 yards vs Houston, so thus wouldn’t be his first big game.  And Tenn front 7 is pretty good. 

As for our offense, it starts up front.  Win the LOS, Ryan annd Taylor should do well,  and we should win the game. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Ryan Tannehill isn't playing Wentz, he is playing a Hall of Fame QB now, I like our chances. I do agree though that our O.Line needs to play better. Last week was ugly with not picking up the blitz. They lost Landry for the season which is a huge blow.

Ryan is not a HOF anymore.  Behind this line he is at risk.  This will be the Colts toughest DL test.  I have no faith in the OL and havent for two years.  

11 minutes ago, runthepost said:

He’s more agile and has a quicker first step. Tannehill maybe more straight line speed

Mahomes was asked about his 40...

He said I don't run track. I play football and baseball. lol... Maybe said BB too lol... Kid was great athlete in HS. 3 sport star... IIRC, national athlete award. 

Tannehill ran track in HS. IIRC, jumped and hurdles. 

38 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

It’s no embarrassment to lose to Tennessee,  but yes, we should beat them.   Taylor had over 160 yards vs Houston, so thus wouldn’t be his first big game.  And Tenn front 7 is pretty good. 

As for our offense, it starts up front.  Win the LOS, Ryan annd Taylor should do well,  and we should win the game. 

Yeah he did have 160, man it didn't seem like it, that is how good he is lol. Big game coming up.

52 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I'll take Tannehill in the 40 on track.

I'll easily take Mahomes on the FB field. His short shuttle is elite.

His agility is >>>>> over Tannehill. 

okay sure, agility, yeah im not gonna argue agility. but he definitely is not faster

2 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Chiefs are 39-2 in the Mahomes era when opponents don’t score 26 points. Only losses are to the colts :lol:

Mahomes was also 13-1 in September I think (that sounds right), then he comes in as basically a 7 point favorite and lays an egg. I will take it. We needed that win and badly after laying a fat egg in Jacks.

23 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Football speed.... Mahomes >>>>> Tannehill

Same Y/A. 

But Tannehill doesn't a year with more 20 scrambles.

Every year Mahomes is 20+. Last 2 years, 40+. 

agree to disagree. Tannehill is faster hands down. Doesn't matter who has had more success at it, that's not the conversation, and im not gonna skip around to different topics.

When it comes to speed, Tannehill is faster. 

7 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

agree to disagree. Tannehill is faster hands down. Doesn't matter who has had more success at it, that's not the conversation, and im not gonna skip around to different topics.

When it comes to speed, Tannehill is faster. 

If speed = 40, ok...

If speed = football speed (scramble and evade ability, first step, etc.), then Mahomes easily. Not even close.

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

If speed = 40, ok...

If speed = football speed (scramble and evade ability, first step, etc.), then Mahomes easily. Not even close.

speed does equal 40.

if you want to argue that mahomes is a more natural runner or accelerates better or has more agility, thats ok

but when it comes to top speed, tannehill wins

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

If speed = 40, ok...

Speed and football speed are 2 different things. Jerry Rice wasn't the fastest guy in the 40 but on the field he seemed to out run everyone, Emmitt Smith was the same. So I agree with you on what you are saying. Tannehill is a guy that is fast at times so we have to watch him when he is scrambling.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Speed and football speed are 2 different things. Jerry Rice wasn't the fastest guy in the 40 but on the field he seemed to out run everyone, Emmitt Smith was the same. So I agree with you on what you are saying. Tannehill is a guy that is fast at times so we have to watch him when he is scrambling.

yeah thats all fine and dandy, but to try and discount Tannehill as an athlete is sad. He was a former WR for as reason. He is extremely athletic as well. with some of those great players you have intangibles, instincts, and positioning that seperates them. it may seem like they're faster or this or that, but likely they are winning the mind game where they lack physical talent. obviously Mahomes is very physically gifted but most of it comes from manuevering in the pocket, where he clearly beats Tannehil. but if they both escape the pocket and are running downfield, tannehill wins that race every time. 

2 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

yeah thats all fine and dandy, but to try and discount Tannehill as an athlete is sad. He was a former WR for as reason. He is extremely athletic as well. with some of those great players you have intangibles, instincts, and positioning that seperates them. it may seem like they're faster or this or that, but likely they are winning the mind game where they lack physical talent. obviously Mahomes is very physically gifted but most of it comes from manuevering in the pocket, where he clearly beats Tannehil. but if they both escape the pocket and are running downfield, tannehill wins that race every time. 

I think Tannehill is sneaky fast. It is hard to explain on a message board. I am not discounting him at all. I have seen Tannehill take off and run for 40 yards before lmao .

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think Tannehill is sneaky fast. It is hard to explain on a message board. I am not discounting him at all. I have seen Tannehill take off and run for 40 yards before lmao .

yeah for sure. hopefully we don't see it tomorrow. need to keep him in the pocket, because like East said, and something I do agree with, Mahomes is much better moving around in the pocket, and stepping up when the edges over rush

Archived