Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Blitz Pick-up

Caffrey

Besides the well documented issues with the O-line, we are also having problems with the blitz pick-up.   This should have already been and should now be a coaching and player focus, among other things  The offense; O-line, TE, WR, RB, and QB need to get on the same sheet of music for potential blitzes and the appropriate counter option.

An analogy was when the NY Giants beat the Patriots in the Super Bowl.  Eli Manning said we thought they would blitz and I was hoping they would and he burnt that blitz with the game winning TD pass to Palaxico Burris.

Another comparison is Marshall Faulk who was a great RB and pass receiver, was excellent at picking up the blitz.  I remember he has a key blitz pick-up with the Rams that allowed Warner to have the time to hit a WR on a deep pass.   The head coach and other players congratulated Faulk with that blitz pick-up when he came to the sidelines.  We need JT or Hines to do the same if the situation presents itself.

On a similar blitz note for our defense.  I remember against Jacksonville, we weren't getting pressure on the QB and not blitzing at all.  While the other teams blitz and creates havoc for our offense. I understand we don't blitz much but should once it awhile to keep the opposing honest and pressure the QB, to at least have them think about our blitz possibility instead of not worrying about the blitz because we seldom blitz.

In theory, if you're not blitzing then every receiver should be covered because the zones wouldn't have big gaps.  But in reality, there's always gaps in the zones.

The no blitz gameplan was spot on against Mahomes.  He would have eluded it and had open receivers.  The D line did a great job putting pressure on him with 4.  And a few times they went to a 3-4-4, which also worked.  The key is the DBs knowing their assignments and where to be on the field.

As far as the blitz pickup - plenty of blame to go around there.  Reich addressed that.  Will they get it fixed?  We'll find out on Sunday because you know it's a copy cat league.  The Titans will send the house for sure.

Archived