Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rick Venturi is Right On

AustexColt

4 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

And Autry was also on the wrong side of 30 when the decision to sign him to a long-term deal came back... we also brought in Isaac Rochelle last year who had a very similar resume to what Autry had when he first became a Colt.

Yes….   Thank you.   I meant to address the age factor but didn’t.   Appreciate you doing that. 

On 9/29/2022 at 12:25 AM, Jared Cisneros said:

Ballard is like the kid in high school who gets an A in all the non-premium classes (PE, Weights, Spanish, Drama, Debate, Home Economics, Shop, Computers), and then fails the main courses (Math, English, History, Science), and tries to convince his parents (the fans and media) he's doing a great job in high school (the NFL) even though it'll catch up to him. That's where the Colts are at right now. 

Ballard has done well with non-premium positions, but it's caught up to us to where the AFC is so far ahead of us now, that even if Reich was a good coach, he couldn't work with this team, considering how poorly built it is. 

I think Reich does do better under pressure, because he's playing under a bit of fear, knowing that his job could be on the line. Also, that when you play from behind, other teams generally play prevent defense a lot more.

Our backs are against the wall Sunday. We can't afford to go 0-2-1 against divisional opponents in 4 games. That's just giving up the division early.

What HS has a class called "weights"?  I'm sure there is one.... But dang.... We're losing our way as a society with that one lol

3 hours ago, Nickster said:

My response was in reference to a dude talking about trading Nelson to get more impact talent.  But how are we going to reprioritize the payroll?  i mean that was kind of the point of Zaprows post and my response  A ton of it is spent on LG, ILB, RT, DT.  Where is the money going to come from if we don't trade those high salaries?  Point I was making is we don't have tradeable assets now even if we did want to try to retool with picks.  Pittman before signing could bring us some good picks, but he's a really solid X and we need more WR talent not less.   JT would bring something, but he's just an RB.  Other than that, I am not seeing any talent that others would give anything up for with salaries considered in.  

We could draft and pay a rookie QB and get rid of Ryan next year I guess, but the hope is he is going to play at a level that we don't consider that as an option. 

You need money to get the best FAs and valuable traded players at premium positions.  We don't have money for this type of talent with all the money we've invested in ILBs and interior linemen. 

It is pretty clear how important impact talent at WR is this year especially so far.  GB and KC are quite noticeably much more limited than last year losing their #1s, and MIA and look more dangerous. LV is struggling majorly.  Haven't seen what's going on there.   But I watch GB almost every week with my youngest, and they are much less dangerous on O without Adams. I'd much rather risk overpay on WR than the positions we risk overpay.   Kirk for JAX doesn't look like an overpay either.  I'd rather see him on our team than any of the 3 guys I mentioned right now.  It appears that JAX FO accurately  looked past the weak passing QB he has been playing with, and so far smell like a rose signing Kirk.  His numbers are likely even better if they weren't blowing the last 2 opponents out in the entire 2nd halves of the last two games.

We decided to spend on Nelson rather than one of these types of guys. 

Hopefully we will have gotten lucky with a guy like Pierce and he's a superstar pass catcher in year or two.  That does happen with WR at a relatively decent rate, but we also are going to need a QB if not next year, and they might be considering signing our running back to more big money.

These are all good points. I guess I’m suggesting they jettison other overpaid players rather than the ones you mentioned, who are part of the heart and soul of the team. You’re right that the O line is overpaid and underperforming; and that we are not investing heavily in premium positions. At the moment. I expect that to change and a rebalancing to take place over the next several years. That will require vision and a willingness to make some tough personnel decisions. 

2 hours ago, Jackie Daytona said:

What HS has a class called "weights"?  I'm sure there is one.... But dang.... We're losing our way as a society with that one lol

Mine did. I went to HS from 2001 to 2005, and we were able to take a weight class. Basically just lifting weights for an hour and a half. It was organized where we did certain things on certain days and kept track of our progress and tried to improve. Get an extra bench press rep for a certain weight, same with deadlift etc... It actually helped keep me in good shape in high school along with PE.

Archived