AFC South "by the numbers"

w87r

Colts:

Offense:(21st)

Pass Yds/gm - 227(20th)

Rush Yds/gm - 104.3(17th)

Total Yds/gm - 331.3(21st)

Rush YPC 4.0(22nd)

PPG -13.3(31st)(Dallas 32nd, if they score 18pts or more tonight, Colts move to 32nd)

Defense:(12th)

Pass Yds/gm - 238(17th)

Rush Yds/gm - 77(3rd)

Total Yds/gm - 315(12th)

Rush YPC 2.6(1st)

PPG allowed - 20.3(15th)

+/- - (-3)

Jaguars:

Offense:(6th)

Pass Yds/gm -252.3(10th)

Rush Yds/gm - 123.3(10th)

Total Yds/gm - 375.7(6th)

Rush YPC - 4.1(21st)

PPG - 28(7th)

Defense:(8th)

Pass Yds/gm -251.7(21st)

Rush Yds/gm - 55(1st)

Total Yds/gm - 306.7(8th)

Rush YPC - 3.1(4th)

PPG allowed - 12.7(5th)

+/- - (+7)

Titans:

Offense:(25th)

Pass Yds/gm - 208.3(23rd)

Rush Yds/gm - 94(20th)

Total Yds/gm - 302.3(25th)

Rush YPC 3.5(26th)

PPG - 17(22nd)

Defense:(26th)

Pass Yds/gm - 256.3(24th)

Rush Yds/gm - 145(29th)

Total Yds/gm - 401.3(26th)

Rush YPC 5.8(32nd)

PPG allowed - 28(29th)

+/- - (-3)

Texans:

Offense:(29th)

Pass Yds/gm - 204.3(24th)

Rush Yds/gm - 83(27th)

Total Yds/gm - 287.3(29th)

Rush YPC - 3.6(27th)

PPG - 16.3(26th)

Defense:(29th)

Pass Yds/gm - 207.7(11th)

Rush Yds/gm - 202.3(32nd)

Total Yds/gm - 410(29th)

Rush YPC - 5.6(31st)

PPG allowed - 19.7(14th)

+/- - (+2)

Colts take:

Defense is hanging around top half of the league without it's most important player.

Elite against the run 

Offense clearly down in the bottom 3rd, probably last in scoring after tonight. 

Good news for Colts fans is I see both of these numbers improving as the year goes on.

Other takes:

Jaguars are a well rounded team, they will be a headache for a lot of teams.

Titans, I expect to improve across the board as well.

Texans, I know they are well coached so I know they will at least be competing week in and week out.

In general....

• AFCS is weak....
  • Jax - Pederson is good. But Herbert shouldn't have played. Folks always like shiny new things (Jax).... interesting to watch Jax at Eagles. Nick vs Pederson, fun.... 
  • Houston is bad
  • Colts lucked out. Still bad coaching. 
  • Titans - not bad, but teams learned to play them. Did we learn?

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Titans - not bad, but teams learned to play them. Did we learn?

Yeah these numbers in this thread seem to support a major advantage for us in this game. Hopefully we can keep these trends rolling.

Colts:

Offense:

Rush YPC 4.0(22nd)

Defense:

Rush Yds/gm - 77(3rd)

Rush YPC 2.6(1st)

Titans:

Offense:

Rush Yds/gm - 94(20th)

Rush YPC 3.5(26th)

Defense:

Rush Yds/gm - 145(29th)

Rush YPC 5.8(32nd)

3 minutes ago, w87r said:

Yeah these numbers in this thread seem to support a major advantage for us in this game. Hopefully we can keep these trends rolling.

Colts:

Offense:

Rush YPC 4.0(22nd)

Defense:

Rush Yds/gm - 77(3rd)

Rush YPC 2.6(1st)

Titans:

Offense:

Rush Yds/gm - 94(20th)

Rush YPC 3.5(26th)

Defense:

Rush Yds/gm - 145(29th)

Rush YPC 5.8(32nd)

Our D #s are a bit of a mirage IMO. 

We played 3 teams with mediocre running games. And all 3 teams are big short passers. Mills and Lawrence are huge on short passes. And even Mahomes tosses a ton short stuff (even though he tosses a fair number of bombs to impacts avg)... 

Lawrence ate up our pass D. And KC had a ton drops, even mistakes. 

So... on TN... Expect Tannehill be 65+% completion. And NWI, Burks, and Woods have good days (shallow catches). Henry hasn't a 100 yard game yet... Hope we aren't first... 

Should we win, IMO, but very low confidence. 

21 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

We played 3 teams with mediocre running games. And all 3 teams are big short passers. Mills and Lawrence are huge on short passes. And even Mahomes tosses a ton short stuff (even though he tosses a fair number of bombs to impacts avg)... 

So... on TN... Expect Tannehill be 65+% completion. And NWI, Burks, and Woods have good days (shallow catches). Henry hasn't a 100 yard game yet... Hope we aren't first... 

I see what your saying, IMO def bounces and looks better than Offense faster. This OL needs better play and Frank going to have to make better playcalls going forward. Robinson RB on Jags is not a joke.....IMO

Don't take credit away from Lawrence and Mills they both have made some huge nfl pro passes not just short passes. C'mon now they have improved and anybody that watches football knows they have....

I'm not a huge coaching fan of Frank or Ballard is the GM. I just know this is my team going to support them. I will come in here and complain after a loss cause I have to get it out of my system. When Colts lose everyone is going too hear about it. 

When they win I'm still going to put out what they need to improve on.

I read a ton of your posts and agree with a 1/2 ton of them. Just give credit where due. Doesn't have to be Frank or Ballard just give the credit.

Mills and Lawrence are young and improving each game. They just don't play a old Patriot short pass game..

2 minutes ago, Maniac53 said:

I see what your saying, IMO def bounces and looks better than Offense faster. This OL needs better play and Frank going to have to make better playcalls going forward. Robinson RB on Jags is not a joke.....IMO

Don't take credit away from Lawrence and Mills they both have made some huge nfl pro passes not just short passes. C'mon now they have improved and anybody that watches football knows they have....

I'm not a huge coaching fan of Frank or Ballard is the GM. I just know this is my team going to support them. I will come in here and complain after a loss cause I have to get it out of my system. When Colts lose everyone is going too hear about it. 

When they win I'm still going to put out what they need to improve on.

I read a ton of your posts and agree with a 1/2 ton of them. Just give credit where due. Doesn't have to be Frank or Ballard just give the credit.

Mills and Lawrence are young and improving each game. They just don't play a old Patriot short pass game..

W or L, I'm still same. Complimentary on good, call out bad. 

Not blind regardless. 

On 9/26/2022 at 9:21 PM, EastStreet said:

The Robert Woods - Ryan Tannehill chemistry has been improving game after game, and with Moore's play on the decline, I can see a ton of completions, that is the one area that bothers me. They will move him around from the slot for certain. Then, our safeties will drop back and Henry will take over. The boot legs are effective because of the respect Henry deserves and Tannehill has hurt us way too much with the boot legs that I feel like yelling at the DC every time they are not ready for it.

The key is not relying on our safeties too much for run D and being able to stop them with our front four and LBs against the run. If we do that, we can still be in big nickel and have sound pass coverage.

Our offense has had nothing but issues so far and you hope as the season goes on they build continuity and consistency. We hopefully trend up. Defense hopefully settles down in coverage because so far we look bad playing weak zones. Kenny Moore has not helped at all. I will say again, no pressure spells mediocre defense weak in and weak out. 

7 hours ago, chad72 said:

The Robert Woods - Ryan Tannehill chemistry has been improving game after game, and with Moore's play on the decline, I can see a ton of completions, that is the one area that bothers me. They will move him around from the slot for certain. Then, our safeties will drop back and Henry will take over. The boot legs are effective because of the respect Henry deserves and Tannehill has hurt us way too much with the boot legs that I feel like yelling at the DC every time they are not ready for it.

The key is not relying on our safeties too much for run D and being able to stop them with our front four and LBs against the run. If we do that, we can still be in big nickel and have sound pass coverage.

IMO, Ss will stay shallow. Even the C3 FS to an extent. Tannehill will likely rip us shallow, and a weapon with legs, but not a threat deep. I think we'll be better at SS, whoever plays the position. If so, should be OK vs Henry. 

Woods, Burks, and NWI are all capable. Burks (rook) will get better and better as the year goes on.  Philips was a nice surprise too. TE hasn't been used much. 

Likely a better matchup for Moore. Not a lot confidence in Moore, but less verts for him. Could be a good game for him. 

13 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

IMO, Ss will stay shallow. Even the C3 FS to an extent. Tannehill will likely rip us shallow, and a weapon with legs, but not a threat deep. I think we'll be better at SS, whoever plays the position. If so, should be OK vs Henry. 

Woods, Burks, and NWI are all capable. Burks (rook) will get better and better as the year goes on.  Philips was a nice surprise too. TE hasn't been used much. 

Likely a better matchup for Moore. Not a lot confidence in Moore, but less verts for him. Could be a good game for him. 

We’ll see how he does but if Thomas has another good game with Blackmon being injured. Colts may have got their FS. Unless they continue to play favorites and start Blackmon again when he gets healthy lol.

13 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

We’ll see how he does but if Thomas has another good game with Blackmon being injured. Colts may have got their FS. Unless they continue to play favorites and start Blackmon again when he gets healthy lol.

Would love to see both Thomas and Cross get a chance at FS. And try Blackmon at SS. 

Things are pretty obvious at this point. I think we have 4 good guys (starter and depth), just to figure starters, and where. 

Archived