Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Monday Morning Quarterbacking - Colts vs Chiefs

indyagent17

First thought is that was a true team win, It was fun to watch in person how everyone got involved on the final drive and the defense sealed it. 

I have taken the passion out of my comments as well as not to cloud issues 

Two things stick out and it could be the this teams undoing if not corrected

I know we have spoken about the offensive line issues and what I saw at times was that Pinter quit on a few plays after being beaten and that is not good. Case in point was when Pinter got bull rushed (and so many times he did) he just sat there instead of trying to get up and follow the play that was extended. He may have gotten dinged up but that was not good to watch. He and Smith just missed assignment after assignment and showed no emotion at all. I know keeping your cool is important (Ask Chris Jones) but unemotional play leads to other issues.

Matt Ryan average pocket time (time between snap and throw or pressure in seconds) per PFR: 2018 - 2.3 2019 - 2.5 2020 - 2.6 2021 - 2.4 2022 - 1.6.  its easy to see why because opponents are in his face all day long.

Matt Ryan entered the game with a 7.4 passer rating when pressured, and so the Chiefs brought a lot of it.

This has a lot to do with his bad play and he will get injured if this keeps up.

There is no way Reich and the other coaches miss this in film study and I hope their level of concern brings needed change 

I'm very optimistic after Sunday's performance against the Chiefs fro multiple reasons. First, our D played great. That puts a lit less pressure on an offense when they know their defense can keep them in the game.

Second, we still have Jonathan Taylor. Enough said.

Third, while we may not have a great, down the field threat at receiver (looking at you Parris Campbell), I think our young guys are going to develop a lot this year, and should be enough to keep us in games with our stout defense (see reason 1 above)

Fourth, the most glaring weakness this season has been the awful play of our o line. Their is no way or reason to sugar coat it. The reason I'm optimistic about that is it seems to be primarily communication issues, and I think we have too many good veterans along that line for it to continue to be a problem. I think they can work through it. I just hope Chris Strawser is the guy to help them do it. The regression of the o line since he took over is concerning, but I will reserve judgement for a couple more weeks.

Fifth, Matt Ryan has looked pretty good when he hasn't been staring down open rushers. My only concern with him right now is keeping him alive until the o line gets better, and the ball security issues. Again, I think both of these get better as the season goes on.

Lots to build on coming out of Sunday. I think it might take a minute for a lot of us to adjust to a Colts team that is led by the D as opposed to the O after so many years of having an explosive offense, but I really liked what I saw last weekend and hopes it continues forward.

4 hours ago, open window said:

I think a major 0-line shakeup is in order, I think Nelson should move left and shuffle out Pinter. It’s not a new idea or a long term solution but I think it’s worth doing until we can get a real LT. I know there  is zero chance (probably for good reasons) but a guy can dream.

what is interesting about this is i think this is what should have been done in ever Oline argument.

a left shuffle

this is what i thought about while reading your comment everone shuffle to the left Q to LT Kelly to LG Printer to C Smith to RG and Pryor to RT

5 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

First thought is that was a true team win, It was fun to watch in person how everyone got involved on the final drive and the defense sealed it. 

I have taken the passion out of my comments as well as not to cloud issues 

Two things stick out and it could be the this teams undoing if not corrected

I know we have spoken about the offensive line issues and what I saw at times was that Pinter quit on a few plays after being beaten and that is not good. Case in point was when Pinter got bull rushed (and so many times he did) he just sat there instead of trying to get up and follow the play that was extended. He may have gotten dinged up but that was not good to watch. He and Smith just missed assignment after assignment and showed no emotion at all. I know keeping your cool is important (Ask Chris Jones) but unemotional play leads to other issues.

Matt Ryan average pocket time (time between snap and throw or pressure in seconds) per PFR: 2018 - 2.3 2019 - 2.5 2020 - 2.6 2021 - 2.4 2022 - 1.6.  its easy to see why because opponents are in his face all day long.

Matt Ryan entered the game with a 7.4 passer rating when pressured, and so the Chiefs brought a lot of it.

This has a lot to do with his bad play and he will get injured if this keeps up.

There is no way Reich and the other coaches miss this in film study and I hope their level of concern brings needed change 

FYI... folks will confusion "pocket time" (PFR) vs "time to throw" (Nextgen or others)..... 

PFR (pocket time) factors snap to pressure, or throw

NG (TTT) factors snap to throw, or sack

5 hours ago, open window said:

I think a major 0-line shakeup is in order, I think Nelson should move left and shuffle out Pinter. It’s not a new idea or a long term solution but I think it’s worth doing until we can get a real LT. I know there  is zero chance (probably for good reasons) but a guy can dream.

Nelson is not a quality LT.....period.

Archived