Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Deep Ball???

Shadow_Creek

It's been 3 games and i really haven't seen Ryan trying to go deep at all . He did so last year many times with the Falcons and i wonder if Frank Doesn't trust our Wr group enough to let them fly. Even Pittman had many deep passes throw to him last year. Now you could say it's because the oline isn't giving him enough time for a deep pass however even with time to throw Ryan just seems to avoid going deep. I think the 30 yard pass to pierce yesterday was his longest past all season so far

On 9/26/2022 at 9:43 AM, Two_pound said:

Yep, I think Ryan Kelly is the biggest problem on the offensive line. Way too many people are getting free runs at Matt, Kelly has to do a better job at calling out the protection.

You must not be watching, Pryor and Pinter if you think that Kelly is the biggest liability across the entire O Line.

Two things:

- offensive line does not allow Ryan the time to even throw a deep ball

- our receivers can’t get open.  Play action isn’t working because our receivers aren’t getting open which means the box is steadily stacked which means we can’t run well

i don’t like Reich playcalling, but this one isn’t on him.  It’s the personnel

1.  The offensive line has yet to "gel" as a unit.  Hopefully this happens sooner than later!!

2.  Pittman and Pierce seem to be the two that can get open down-the-field.  The other receivers and dink-and-dunk receivers - AT THIS POINT in the season.

Hoping BOTH improve this week.

On 9/26/2022 at 7:26 AM, Shadow_Creek said:

It's been 3 games and i really haven't seen Ryan trying to go deep at all . He did so last year many times with the Falcons and i wonder if Frank Doesn't trust our Wr group enough to let them fly. Even Pittman had many deep passes throw to him last year. Now you could say it's because the oline isn't giving him enough time for a deep pass however even with time to throw Ryan just seems to avoid going deep. I think the 30 yard pass to pierce yesterday was his longest past all season so far

U need time to go deep , we can’t even get a 3 step drop off 

31 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

U need time to go deep , we can’t even get a 3 step drop off 

Our protection has been surprisingly terrible but I also haven’t seen any separation from anybody besides Pittman so far. Bad protection and minimal easy open throws I think has made Ryan force a lot of balls and has him rushing reads.

@Shadow_Creek meant to quote

We can throw more deep in early downs. 

Our OL isn't blitzed, stunted, or overpowered every down. 

If you've watched the O the last 4 years, you know we simply don't pass much deep.

Regardless of OL protection... 

And say the same every year.....

Our QBs have been good deep... just not to allow go deep lol...

Game one, 0/1 in deep passes (more 20 yards), late and down... 

Game two, 2/4 in deep passes - mostly late down big time, and D in prevent

Game three, 1/1 in deep passes - early (Pierce) in a 50/50. Rare aggressive call

Here's Ryan's relevant advanced stats (not sure updated with G3, but still.... )

• AY/A - #31 (translate, our O is super duper shallow passing, not allowed to go deep)...... Frank O..... Ryan never has been so low... He had a worse OL last year, and was average (#16ish)... 
  • OL Protection Rate - #22 (he had #32 last year).... 
  • Accuracy - #10
  • Catchable pass rate - #3
  • Deep ball completion % - #9
  • Deep ball accuracy rating - #15
  • Receiver separation - #8 (2.24)... soooooo much for the WRs/TEs can't get separation... 

In short.... Ryan is not bad (in general or deep). WR/TEs are not bad.... OL is not good, but better than he had last season. but scheme is super duper shallow.... He's never been this low (AY/A, or ADOT, not close..... )

17 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

@Shadow_Creek meant to quote

We can throw more deep in early downs. 

Our OL isn't blitzed, stunted, or overpowered every down. 

If you've watched the O the last 4 years, you know we simply don't pass much deep.

Regardless of OL protection... 

And say the same every year.....

Our QBs have been good deep... just not to allow go deep lol...

Game one, 0/1 in deep passes (more 20 yards), late and down... 

Game two, 2/4 in deep passes - mostly late down big time, and D in prevent

Game three, 1/1 in deep passes - early (Pierce) in a 50/50. Rare aggressive call

Here's Ryan's relevant advanced stats (not sure updated with G3, but still.... )

• AY/A - #31 (translate, our O is super duper shallow passing, not allowed to go deep)...... Frank O..... Ryan never has been so low... He had a worse OL last year, and was average (#16ish)... 
  • OL Protection Rate - #22 (he had #32 last year).... 
  • Accuracy - #10
  • Catchable pass rate - #3
  • Deep ball completion % - #9
  • Deep ball accuracy rating - #15
  • Receiver separation - #8 (2.24)... soooooo much for the WRs/TEs can't get separation... 

In short.... Ryan is not bad (in general or deep). WR/TEs are not bad.... OL is not good, but better than he had last season. but scheme is super duper shallow.... He's never been this low (AY/A, or ADOT, not close..... )

Bud,  I appreciate your statistical input Seriously I do. One of the things I come on here to read 

BUT

Do you ever get to watch a game without a notepad?

Do you get to scream and pump your arms when JT busts a long one?   When the Colts score do you get to hug and kiss your wife while jumping up and down?

Do you get to fist/chest bump your kiddos as they scream for the Colts?

Do you get to have popcorn /nachos and cold beer while you watch?

Again I appreciate what you do here?   I just hope you can sit back and enjoy the ride!   Life is short!   

Live baby live! And enjoy the game!!!

9 minutes ago, ChuggaBeer said:

Bud,  I appreciate your statistical input Seriously I do. One of the things I come on here to read 

BUT

Do you ever get to watch a game without a notepad?

Do you get to scream and pump your arms when JT busts a long one?   When the Colts score do you get to hug and kiss your wife while jumping up and down?

Do you get to fist/chest bump your kiddos as they scream for the Colts?

Do you get to have popcorn /nachos and cold beer while you watch?

Again I appreciate what you do here?   I just hope you can sit back and enjoy the ride!   Life is short!   

Live baby live! And enjoy the game!!!

No notepad in live games.. lol...

I can "see" a lot, without a notebook. Lot's of fist pumps, high fives, and cussing.

I do re-watch a lot though, and more "notebook-ish"... re-watched tonight (NFL replay)... 

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

No notepad in live games.. lol...

I can "see" a lot, without a notebook. Lot's of fist pumps, high fives, and cussing.

I do re-watch a lot though, and more "notebook-ish"... re-watched tonight (NFL replay)... 

Good deal brother.  Embrace this season its going to be a shocker!!!!

The last 5 years explained.....

2018:  Luck ginger shoulder first half of the year.

2019:  JB  really?

2020:  Rivers had no arm and no assets

2021:  Wentz had no assets and no protection

2022:  Ryan has no protection...few assets...and possibly no arm.   

Poor Frank.

51 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The last 5 years explained.....

2018:  Luck ginger shoulder first half of the year.

2019:  JB  really?

2020:  Rivers had no arm and no assets

2021:  Wentz had no assets and no protection

2022:  Ryan has no protection...few assets...and possibly no arm.   

Poor Frank.

Just imagine if Luck was healthy and able to have played in 2019... 

On 9/26/2022 at 7:26 AM, Shadow_Creek said:

Brother I want to see it too. OL line has been terrible and I really don't think Frank likes the deep ball plays.

OL can't run block like last year either. Where have they went?

If I trust a QB to throw the deep ball it will be Matty and if it does come down to a few games of making playoffs I trust Matty to get us there. It's still early but IMO not too early. Wish we could have gotten the 1st two wins of season especially division wins.

Never have hope on another team to help you whether it is a win or loss to get in the playoffs. If people do, that team doesn't deserve to be there. Team needs to set its own destination, just WIN!! 

6 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Those guys are coming free up the middle that's not on prior

Pressure has been coming from all directions not just up the middle. Pinter plays directly to the right of Kelly. There is no such thing as coming up the middle unless Kelly is being completely run over. The center is usually engaged in a combo block a large majority of the time. Do your homework before you make erroneous statements.

On 9/26/2022 at 5:26 AM, Shadow_Creek said:

26 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

Pressure has been coming from all directions not just up the middle. Pinter plays directly to the right of Kelly. There is no such thing as coming up the middle unless Kelly is being completely run over. The center is usually engaged in a combo block a large majority of the time. Do your homework before you make erroneous statements.

Homework?

So... Not really (large majority). We see zero players over Ryan Kelly. A fair amount. Heck, several of Owens vid plays had zero over C. Might start zero, but then a stunt to G or C. 

"A" gap is LG/C hole and RG/C hole, and is considered middle. There is a such a thing middle. Just not straight over C.

Archived