Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Your impression of Matt Ryan after three games?

CR91

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't like it either. The way KC kept blitzing us and hitting Matt is real concerning. Now other teams will try it and they should. We need to have more bubble screens and dump offs to Taylor to offset that.

I would like the TE set with Woods and Granson.

I would scrap Granson with MAC. That keeps the play action alive since they will play run since MAC can't get away from them on the strong side but line up Woods to the other side and have the OL move the same way with 2 TE 2 WR formations thus making it difficult to predict pass or run, IMO. 

That is what worked with Peyton and Edge, with Pollard and Dilger. 

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, chad72 said:

I would scrap Granson with MAC. That keeps the play action alive since they will play run since MAC can't get away from them on the strong side but line up Woods to the other side and have the OL move the same way with 2 TE 2 WR formations thus making it difficult to predict pass or run, IMO. 

That is what worked with Peyton and Edge, with Pollard and Dilger. 

Yeah Mac would be fine as well, Woods and Mac would be sweet.

On 9/26/2022 at 3:04 PM, shasta519 said:

I mean...he led a drive from basically midfield to score a TD after the initial attempt ended with him taking a sack to make it 4th and 14.

It was the only drive they had that was even more than 50 yards.

After 3 weeks with Matt Ryan at QB, this is arguably the least efficient (see worst) offense in the NFL.

Now that's not all on Ryan because the OL has been bad. But he's the QB. And if he gets credit for the GWD, he gets blame for the state of the offense.

Wentz was a liability, but he had 1 LESS fumble and only 3 MORE INTs in 13 MORE games last year. Ryan is on pace for nearly 40 fumbles and 23 INTs. I don't think he will get near those, but Ryan's definitely been a liability so far.

image.png.55ed5603a6c5999a9d744f79a2140407.png

Shocking to see Tompa Bay so low. However, they did play good Ds of the Cowboys, Saints and Packers that have been playing good so far.

10 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

There’s definitely some miscommunication going on between QB and Oline. I’m not sure we will get better until this is fixed though.

Defenses have been covering the shallows making short passes and quick hitters a lot more difficult. 
  I don’t see us getting a whole lot done with anything but JT, play action and RB screens until the Oline is fixed. 

I am surprised JT hasn't busted a long one yet. That would really help. If he goes for 60 on one run vs the Titans that will open everything up.

22 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Shocking to see Tompa Bay so low. However, they did play good Ds of the Cowboys, Saints and Packers that have been playing good so far.

IMO Tom has too many personal things going on 'there is that word again 'personal' lmao to be focused on football. He is the GOAT IMO (Joe and Peyton in the convo) but I don't think Tampa has the team around him to win the NFC this year. I am taking GB, because Rodgers is due and wants to be in that elite of QB's of winning 2 SB's or more. When you get that 2nd one, most fans look at you in a whole other light. Once Peyton got #2, everyone looked at him differently. I remember when Peyton and Magic Johnson went on a talk show, I think it was Jimmy Fallon, Magic said welcome to the true winners club by getting that 2nd one - that was after Denver beat Carolina. Magic always said you can win 1 by true dumb luck, but you win that 2nd one than it proves it wasn't a fluke you only won 1.

With some time given from the Oline, he could be a slightly above average QB, I say this because his mobility is limited due to his age.  Reich just need to get his act together and hold the Oline accountable.  No excuse for the Oline in having a subpar performance in the last three weeks, being the most expensive, overpaid Oline in the league.

30 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am surprised JT hasn't busted a long one yet. That would really help. If he goes for 60 on one run vs the Titans that will open everything up.

It has to be because defenses are playing so close to the line without necessarily stacking the box. Even if he does beat the first defender others are so close he can’t get to the second level. 

Just now, Solid84 said:

It has to be because defenses are playing so close to the line without necessarily stacking the box. Even if he does beat the first defender others are so close can’t get to the second level. 

Yeah the blocking has me real concerned, that blitz KC kept sending was brutal. Matt looked pretty shook up.

5 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

With some time given from the Oline, he could be a slightly above average QB, I say this because his mobility is limited due to his age.  Reich just need to get his act together and hold the Oline accountable.  No excuse for the Oline in having a subpar performance in the last three weeks, being the most expensive, overpaid Oline in the league.

Usually our run blocking is better than it is, it has been average at best so far. We have to run more bubble screens and keep throwing to the backs. Matt did that a lot in Atlanta to keep defenses on their toes. Taylor will bust a big one, he is due.

55 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

It has to be because defenses are playing so close to the line without necessarily stacking the box. Even if he does beat the first defender others are so close he can’t get to the second level. 

Kyle Shanahan's answers to those are sweep tosses to the RB (with and without 2 RBs). You typically have 3 LBs defending the run and the SAM LB is on the strong side. The ILB and WLB typically do better East-West. So you run sweep tosses to the strong side and make sure the fastest DB and LB closest to the LOS are taken out first by combo of OL/TE before they disrupt, and expect the RB to beat the SAM LB in a foot race reading the blocks easily to get to the second level.

Kyle Shanahan did that very well vs the Patriots consistently in the first half of that SB as OC of Falcons but went away from it and got pass happy in the second half and went for more interior runs where the bulk of the DL and LBs, that the Pats had plenty of won over in between the tackle runs versus off tackle or sweep tosses that would have worked against their LBs that were weak East-West and in coverage (something Blake Bortles in the 2017 AFCCG almost exploited and Doug Pederson/Foles in 2017 SB did completely exploit), IMO.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Kyle Shanahan's answers to those are sweep tosses to the RB. You typically have 3 LBs defending the run and the SAM LB is on the strong side. The ILB and WLB typically do better East-West. So you run sweep tosses to the strong side and make sure the fastest DB and LB closest to the LOS are taken out first by combo of OL/TE and expect the RB to beat the SAM LB in a foot race easily to get to the second level.

Kyle Shanahan did that very well vs the Patriots consistently in the first half of that SB as OC of Falcons but went away from it and got pass happy in the second half and went for more interior runs where the bulk of the DL and LBs, that the Pats had plenty of won over in between the tackle runs versus off tackle or sweep tosses that would have worked against their LBs that were weak East-West and in coverage (something Blake Bortles in the 2017 AFCCG almost exploited and Doug Pederson/Foles in 2017 SB did completely exploit), IMO.

Yes! Hines (I think it was him?) had a jet sweep that went pretty well. 

But…

I’m sorry, I just don’t trust Frank to take advantage of defensive scheme mismatches. I think, in Frank’s mind, it’s just a matter of getting better at what he wants us to do instead of exploiting defensive weaknesses and mismatches. 

Was it Peyton who said something along the lines of ‘If something works keep doing it until it doesn’t!’? From watching our games over several seasons it just doesn’t seem to be what Frank preaches.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

They have had multiple injuries to starting OL players and not sure if any of them are going to be back this season.

Plus, Godwin and Evans have missed time. Julio is Julio at this point. 

I actually stayed away from them in FF this year. But I am sure they will still be right there at 12-5 at the end of the season.

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Usually our run blocking is better than it is, it has been average at best so far. We have to run more bubble screens and keep throwing to the backs. Matt did that a lot in Atlanta to keep defenses on their toes. Taylor will bust a big one, he is due.

Bring back Fisher for tryout... JMO lol

23 hours ago, chad72 said:

Well all their starting WR were out last week. Every one of them.  And Godwin has been out the whole year, and ole Gronk retired. 

23 hours ago, Solid84 said:

Everything is squeezed toward the middle of the field because we don't threaten outside the numbers because we lack impact talent where it counts.   KC and Jax were liberally blitzing in the gaps too.  And playing right up in our receviers faces too.  That will probably be the blueprint going forward until it's proven that Ryan will exploit it.

TN doesn't blitz much, about like us.  I will be interesting to see if they dial it up more after watching the last two films. 

Play action was almost non existent the last two games.  No one is biting up.  

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

Everything is squeezed toward the middle of the field because we don't threaten outside the numbers because we lack impact talent where it counts.   KC and Jax were liberally blitzing in the gaps too.  And playing right up in our receviers faces too.  That will probably be the blueprint going forward until it's proven that Ryan will exploit it.

TN doesn't blitz much, about like us.  I will be interesting to see if they dial it up more after watching the last two films. 

Play action was almost non existent the last two games.  No one is biting up.  

There are plenty of ways for us to exploit defenses playing like that. Now, whether it’s Frank refusing to call those plays or a lack of talent is up for debate.

Until Frank actually tries to call those plays, I’m in the ‘Frank is a terrible play caller’ camp. We had one, ONE, jet sweep against the Chiefs. We got decent yards on it and then… no more…

2 hours ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

He is what I thought he was, a downgrade from Wentz because he cannot move.  With this OL you need a mobile QB and we have three games of tape that shows my concerns were spot on from this summer.  

I am not here to bash Wentz or say Wentz is bad, I think he is average to above average = my words but Ryan is a definite upgrade. I think if we had Wentz the way the rest of our team is playing right now we would be 0-3 like last year.  

On 9/28/2022 at 2:53 PM, Solid84 said:

But…

I’m sorry, I just don’t trust Frank to take advantage of defensive scheme mismatches. I think, in Frank’s mind, it’s just a matter of getting better at what he wants us to do instead of exploiting defensive weaknesses and mismatches. 

Was it Peyton who said something along the lines of ‘If something works keep doing it until it doesn’t!’? From watching our games over several seasons it just doesn’t seem to be what Frank preaches.

well we ran an awful lot last year when it was working. 

10 minutes ago, Nickster said:

well we ran an awful lot last year when it was working. 

We did not. JT didn't break 20 att/g until week 10 against Jags (21). Through the first 6 weeks JT averaged 14.5 att/g and 15.1 att/g though the first 8. Frank basically had to be told to RTDB to actually start doing it.

I may be a little harsh here, but Frank is a TERRIBLE play caller in my book.

25 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

We did not. JT didn't break 20 att/g until week 10 against Jags (21). Through the first 6 weeks JT averaged 14.5 att/g and 15.1 att/g though the first 8. Frank basically had to be told to RTDB to actually start doing it.

Well man we were 5th in the league in rushing attempts and 2 of the 4 teams ahead of us had Jackson and Hurts as QBs.  
We ran it a lot at some point lol.   Taylor led the league in rushing attempts by about 2 per game.  He's 2nd in the league in attempts this year, 1 behind the leader.  This is in a season when we were down 20-3 and got shut out 24-0. 

Seems like Frank has called quite a few run plays to me lol. You want more Taylor rushes?

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

Well man we were 5th in the league in rushing attempts and 2 of the 4 teams ahead of us had Jackson and Hurts as QBs.  
We ran it a lot at some point lol.   Taylor led the league in rushing attempts by about 2 per game.  He's 2nd in the league in attempts this year, 1 behind the leader.  This is in a season when we were down 20-3 and got shut out 24-0. 

Seems like Frank has called quite a few run plays to me lol. You want more Taylor rushes?

I want us to use our best weapon - JT. We had 499 attempts last year. JT had 332 of those. By week 8, just over half way through the season, he had 121 of his total carries (36.4%). Like I said, Frank had to be told to RTDB to actually do it. That's my point. Did he get more attempts LATER in the season? Yes he did. AFTER Frank got his head out of his *.

Back to my original point:

Do we use JT this year? Yes, and thank # for that! Do we use him in any way other than as a RB up the middle and a dump off target? Nope...

Problem is because that's all we do and because our Oline is horrible at both pass protection and run blocking we're getting nothing done. Opposing defenses are covering the shallows and the middle of the field - JT's running lanes.

We need more RB screens and Jet sweeps. Punish the blitzing and the condensed defensive scheme. We don't because Frank is Franking.

16 hours ago, Solid84 said:

I want us to use our best weapon - JT. We had 499 attempts last year. JT had 332 of those. By week 8, just over half way through the season, he had 121 of his total carries (36.4%). Like I said, Frank had to be told to RTDB to actually do it. That's my point. Did he get more attempts LATER in the season? Yes he did. AFTER Frank got his head out of his *.

Back to my original point:

Do we use JT this year? Yes, and thank # for that! Do we use him in any way other than as a RB up the middle and a dump off target? Nope...

Problem is because that's all we do and because our Oline is horrible at both pass protection and run blocking we're getting nothing done. Opposing defenses are covering the shallows and the middle of the field - JT's running lanes.

We need more RB screens and Jet sweeps. Punish the blitzing and the condensed defensive scheme. We don't because Frank is Franking.

I totally agree we need to attack other areas of the field.  I guess where we disagree is I don’t think we have the personnel to do it effectively.

JTs skill set is straight ahead downhill running and catching dump offs in space.  How else do you propose we use him?  He usually gets stuffed when trying to run laterally from what I’ve noticed.

I don’t think we will run our way out of offensive issues.  This is a passing league and the pass sets up the run IMO.

I was advocating for a running QB in the summer.  That’s one way we could attack the edges.  I thought trying Mariota might be interesting even though I don’t think he’s that good.  But read option plays I think would maximize where our talent is.  

we did a few jet sweeps a game or two.  It works occasionally but it’s pretty easy to defend really if you are struggling between the tackles.  It’s as simple as having your edge player run straight up field.

IDK man.  I think RTDB was fools gold for a few weeks last year.  We need to passTDB outside the numbers imo so we can RTDB more effectively.

totally agree the oline is severely restricting what we can do.

On 9/28/2022 at 3:53 PM, Solid84 said:

But…

Yeah, like passing to Wayne on the same route in the SB against the Saints. :D

19 hours ago, Solid84 said:

He has his moments, some good and others very bad - sometimes he calls a good play but it's poorly executed, other times he gets outsmarted by the guys on the other sideline but it's my opinion that he would be a better Head Coach if he would just hand off the playcalling duties to the OC, and focus on the strategy & performance of the entire team.

3 hours ago, Nickster said:

I totally agree we need to attack other areas of the field.  I guess where we disagree is I don’t think we have the personnel to do it effectively.

JTs skill set is straight ahead downhill running and catching dump offs in space.  How else do you propose we use him?  He usually gets stuffed when trying to run laterally from what I’ve noticed.

I don’t think we will run our way out of offensive issues.  This is a passing league and the pass sets up the run IMO.

I was advocating for a running QB in the summer.  That’s one way we could attack the edges.  I thought trying Mariota might be interesting even though I don’t think he’s that good.  But read option plays I think would maximize where our talent is.  

we did a few jet sweeps a game or two.  It works occasionally but it’s pretty easy to defend really if you are struggling between the tackles.  It’s as simple as having your edge player run straight up field.

IDK man.  I think RTDB was fools gold for a few weeks last year.  We need to passTDB outside the numbers imo so we can RTDB more effectively.

totally agree the oline is severely restricting what we can do.

I'm not convinced about our talent at the skill positions, but until Frank actually tries something different to open up the field, it's really difficult to evaluate our talent. In my opinion it's at least 90% on Frank right now.

I agree JT is a downhill RB. It's hasn't been a problem until now, but DCs have figured out they can freely defend it without us punishing it.

When we traded Wentz I was also hoping we would go for Mariota. The kind of talent he brings with his running ability could be huge here. I love watching Jackson and Mahomes because of their mobility, but if we had a QB like that I would be covering my eyes every time they took off - the odds of injury just goes up when they run.

Archived