Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

This offense is SAD

k9copinmd

1 minute ago, k9copinmd said:

Halftime of Chiefs game. Not counting the 4 yard TD drive they were gifted by the Chiefs this offense has scored 3 points in like the last 20 possessions. Horrible play calling, turnovers, bad OL play, bad QB play....it's sad to watch how bad this offense has been.

Yes, and if you watch plays in detail, there are openings not being seen. 3.8 seconds is all you can expect in the NFL and that's what Ryan gets. No one is playing Pro Bowl level but they're being led by less than acceptable.

5 minutes ago, Blueblazes said:

Yes, and if you watch plays in detail, there are openings not being seen. 3.8 seconds is all you can expect in the NFL and that's what Ryan gets. No one is playing Pro Bowl level but they're being led by less than acceptable.

Oh I agree...I admit I was excited when the Colts signed Ryan....but he has been HORRIBLE to this point.

32 minutes ago, k9copinmd said:

Halftime of Chiefs game. Not counting the 4 yard TD drive they were gifted by the Chiefs this offense has scored 3 points in like the last 20 possessions. Horrible play calling, turnovers, bad OL play, bad QB play....it's sad to watch how bad this offense has been.

Matt Ryan has missed some wide open plays for big gains and his fumbles are killing us. He had cambell wide open on the chiefs all out blitz on a slant but held the ball and fumbled, you have to know as a vet when u have the ball for 5-6 seconds pressure is coming from behind get ride of ball 

24 minutes ago, k9copinmd said:

Oh I agree...I admit I was excited when the Colts signed Ryan....but he has been HORRIBLE to this point.

Yea he is definitely over the hill, but I think he might look better mid season when we out the playoff race 

1 hour ago, k9copinmd said:

We knew coming in that Ryan can’t extend plays well.  A QB like him needs great pass protection and receivers who can get open.

It’s those two things we’re struggling with.  I think Ballard has badly messed up with OL.  We have so much money in 3 guys.  And two of them have played poorly thus far.  The other two shouldn’t be starting at all.

I’ll say it until I’m blue in the face:  we should’ve drafted AC’s replacement when it became clear he had one foot out the door.  It was a huge unforced error.

12 minutes ago, Indy87 said:

As hard as it is to watch this offense they actually managed to find a rhythm for the first time this year, and that means something to me. Here’s hoping Matt can get it together. I haven’t lost faith in him yet with this new team. 

I haven’t either.  He’s made some mistakes a guy with his experience shouldn’t make - starting with that early pick at JAX.  And the 7 fumbles, of course.

But mostly the problem is with OL and WR.  But I was glad to see Pierce and Woods make some key contributions today.

1 minute ago, luv_pony_express said:

We knew coming in that Ryan can’t extend plays well.  A QB like him needs great pass protection and receivers who can get open.

It’s those two things we’re struggling with.  I think Ballard has badly messed up with OL.  We have so much money in 3 guys.  And two of them have played poorly thus far.  The other two shouldn’t be starting at all.

I’ll say it until I’m blue in the face:  we should’ve drafted AC’s replacement when it became clear he had one foot out the door.  It was a huge unforced error.

The problem with the line is communication on blitz's and stunts moreso than the individual players (though Pryor and pinter are not great). At least two of the big time sacks came untouched between Ryan and Nelson.

18 minutes ago, ColtsLegacy said:

The problem with the line is communication on blitz's and stunts moreso than the individual players (though Pryor and pinter are not great). At least two of the big time sacks came untouched between Ryan and Nelson.

I think to me a big issue has been Pinter seems to need help and cant do one on one. There were a couple times you see Kelly having to help him and the guy gets a free rush up the middle

36 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

The year before AC retired, and the year he did, the draft, resulted league wide in ZERO starting LTs and only 3 starting RT… where do you propose or who would you have selected. 

25 minutes ago, csmopar said:

The year before AC retired, and the year he did, the draft, resulted league wide in ZERO starting LTs and only 3 starting RT… where do you propose or who would you have selected. 

Then make a trade or sign a FA, for chrissakes.

The point is that LT is not a position you just figure out on the fly - especially when you are having to do that with QB and you know you might end up with some older guys at the end of their careers.

It’s probably the 2nd most important position on the offense.  And we’re witnessing the predictable results of Ballard having done that.

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

After watching the line play today I think I could live with the Colts resigning Fisher and let Raimann rotate with him and move Pryor to RG.  Fisher’s good in the run game and he could fit in pretty easily.

Would be great move.

Strengthen LT and RG.

17 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Then make a trade or sign a FA, for chrissakes.

The point is that LT is not a position you just figure out on the fly - especially when you are having to do that with QB and you know you might end up with some older guys at the end of their careers.

It’s probably the 2nd most important position on the offense.  And we’re witnessing the predictable results of Ballard having done that.

Don’t disagree, but look what the Texans gave up for Tunsil the other year, 2 firsts and a couple players. And Tunsil is not that good

13 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Don’t disagree, but look what the Texans gave up for Tunsil the other year, 2 firsts and a couple players. And Tunsil is not that good

They found themselves in a desperate situation.  That trade happened right before the season started and they knew they didn’t have a good blindside protector for DW.

1 hour ago, Indy87 said:

As hard as it is to watch this offense they actually managed to find a rhythm for the first time this year, and that means something to me. Here’s hoping Matt can get it together. I haven’t lost faith in him yet with this new team. 

The offense had found a pretty good rhythm in the 4th and 5th quarters of game 1. The only reason that we're not talking about that more is because of a botched field goal, otherwise we'd be 2-1.

Gotta admit, as a longtime Ryan fan, Ryan has not looked so hot thus far.

17 minutes ago, RobertAP said:

The offense had found a pretty good rhythm in the 4th and 5th quarters of game 1. The only reason that we're not talking about that more is because of a botched field goal, otherwise we'd be 2-1.

Gotta admit, as a longtime Ryan fan, Ryan has not looked so hot thus far.

no but my hope is it’s new team jitters and getting timing down still. Today was the best the offense has looked which I’m trying to take as a bright side. Also score twice in the red zone is pretty huge considering the struggles in that area since even last year. 

2 minutes ago, Indy87 said:

no but my hope is it’s new team jitters and getting timing down still. Today was the best the offense has looked which I’m trying to take as a bright side. Also score twice in the red zone is pretty huge considering the struggles in that area since even last year. 

Offense looked far better week 1.

What this team needs is to throw downfield to Pierce more often when he is in single coverage on the outside. He is 6-3 and very fast. Throw the ball up and let him go get it, it worked twice today. Think about it, what's the difference if you try that on first down and it is incomplete or you run Taylor into an 8 or 9 man front. If it fails you are 2nd and 10 either way. Take more shots downfield!!!!

9 minutes ago, Indy87 said:

I don’t readily agree. 

Ok, I don't think it's even that close. Game 1 offense was rolling in 4th QRT and into OT, also had some solid drives early that faltered in rz.

This week... Absolutely nothing 3.5 qrts but got bailed out by excellent defense and special teams turnover. Offense did show up on final drive after Chris Jones gift, however.

I'm happy Pierce and Woods got involved and had positive plays. That will really help their confidence going forward, which is huge for rookies.

The offense is a work in progress.  I’d encourage people to go back and listen to what Romo said during the game.  He did a very good job highlighting the offenses issues with the communication issues that comes with a QB being in a new system.  He said it’s going to take about six weeks to get worked out.  

Sound familiar?  It should that’s what happened with Luck in his first year with Reich, it happened with Rivers and it happened with Wentz.  That’s why changing QBs every year is so bad.  

Now that’s not going to fix everything.  Romo also pointed out the fact the Colts don’t have anyone who can’t take the top off the defense.  Simply put these WRs struggle to get open and the two that do the best are Alec and Pittman and they aren’t going to burn teams deep.  

Romo also pointed out until the communication issues get worked out the Colts need to avoid just drop back passing because they aren’t getting the protections right.  When the Colts started going play action and making KC think and not just pin their ears back and all out blitz Ryan started to have time to throw and the Colts started to move the ball.  

I will say Ryan finally started to look comfortable on that last drive and that came without exclusive play action.  So hopefully that’s a sign they are starting to get things figured out.  

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Some action is better than no action. At least they tried to do something. Ballard’s lack of action has killed this team. He doesn’t play to win, he plays not to lose. He doesn’t want to risk trading draft picks for someone who won’t work out or giving a huge contract to someone in FA for the same reason. Every GM misses though. It happens. I’d rather have a GM who swings and misses than one who never swings at all.

8 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Some action is better than no action. At least they tried to do something. Ballard’s lack of action has killed this team. He doesn’t play to win, he plays not to lose. He doesn’t want to risk trading draft picks for someone who won’t work out or giving a huge contract to someone in FA for the same reason. Every GM misses though. It happens. I’d rather have a GM who swings and misses than one who never swings at all.

Well to your point, the Leno vs Fisher debate. Ballard took a swing on Fisher returning to form, he missed.but he did swing

Archived