Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Shaq Injury

AustexColt

If he’s not back before week six they should have never taken him off PUP to start with.  Until then bringing him back off that list was the right call if he plays before then which I am as skeptical about as everyone else.  Still keeping him on PUP would have caused him to miss the first six weeks of the season so if he plays before then it was worth bringing him off.  If he doesn’t play before then he was a waste of an active roster spot.  

I think these 3 questions that alot of peolple dont want to ask or think about are very quickly becoming reality

1- How injured is he exactly? We know the Colts are not upfront about injuries. 

2- How invested is he mentally? Does he even want to play?

3- Is he mentally checked out on just the coaching staff not football in general? 

1 hour ago, AustexColt said:

If Shaq is not back on the field by next week than they should have put him on IR. His injury is more serious and it is a Andrew Luck 2.0   

They said if he was on the pup he couldn’t practice with team , so even if it took him 2-4 weeks he could practice and take part in team activities etc… that what Frank said at end of pre season 

29 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

If he’s not back before week six they should have never taken him off PUP to start with.  Until then bringing him back off that list was the right call if he plays before then which I am as skeptical about as everyone else.  Still keeping him on PUP would have caused him to miss the first six weeks of the season so if he plays before then it was worth bringing him off.  If he doesn’t play before then he was a waste of an active roster spot.  

PUP is 4 weeks now.

I believe Reich or Ballard had said week 6 at one point(even if just throwing out random week), when asked about when be would play, but said if they kept him on PUP he wouldn't be able to practice. This way he is still able to get reps in.

I'm not too worried about it, clearly want him out on the field. When the time is right, he should be ready and up to speed being able to practice the whole time.

15 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

I think these 3 questions that alot of peolple dont want to ask or think about are very quickly becoming reality

1- How injured is he exactly? We know the Colts are not upfront about injuries. 

2- How invested is he mentally? Does he even want to play?

3- Is he mentally checked out on just the coaching staff not football in general? 

Before any of these.

The question is:

Who is keeping him out? Team or himself? He has had almost 3 weeks of full practice.

1 hour ago, w87r said:

Before any of these.

The question is:

Who is keeping him out? Team or himself? He has had almost 3 weeks of full practice.

That is the real question? I'm glad you brought it up..

Inquiring minds want too know...

It's hard to believe Frank is cause of him needing some Ws. Being what everyone is saying that Frank is on the hot seat.

He should be on the hot seat, with no doubt in my opinion along with Ballard.

I'm guessing himself... JMO

Thoughts by week

Week 1 - We can easily beat Houston without him... let him rest/heal and don't risk injury

Week 2 - We surely can beat Jax without him.... let him rest/heal and don't risk injury

Week 3 - we're going to lose regardless.... let him rest/heal and don't risk injury

lol... 

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Thoughts by week

Week 1 - We can easily beat Houston without him... let him rest/heal and don't risk injury

Week 2 - We surely can beat Jax without him.... let him rest/heal and don't risk injury

Week 3 - we're going to lose regardless.... let him rest/heal and don't risk injury

lol... 

Week 1- We should have beaten Houston without him... did We?

Week2- We surley could've beaten Jags without him....Did we?

Week3- Nobody knows if we going too lose regardless.... I say we win sunday!!

Even if we win doesn't make this team better than the tie and loss we just had the past 2 weeks.. IMO

Lmao....

3 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

I only meant... at least he would have been available to play

in 61 games he has missed 10 to injury.... including the first 2 weeks and this upcoming game.... so before this off season he had missed 7 games in 58... that isnt all that terrible.

27 minutes ago, Maniac53 said:

Week 1- We should have beaten Houston without him... did We?

Week2- We surley could've beaten Jags without him....Did we?

Week3- Nobody knows if we going too lose regardless.... I say we win sunday!!

Even if we win doesn't make this team better than the tie and loss we just had the past 2 weeks.. IMO

Lmao....

Would love to know who decides. 

To be fair to the Colts staff (either Reich or Ballard said this, forgot which one), in the off-season when asked about Leonard's injury, they mentioned they didn't have an exact date and it might take a few weeks.

I'm essentially waiting until week 6, and if he's not back by then, you should probably IR him.

he had back surgery. highly complicated and can always lead slow recovery or none at all. Leonard has said he doesn't feel like himself and the HC has said he doesn't look like himself. and I wouldn't be surprised if he never does because of where the surgery was. 

2 hours ago, Chucklez said:

in 61 games he has missed 10 to injury.... including the first 2 weeks and this upcoming game.... so before this off season he had missed 7 games in 58... that isnt all that terrible.

So for his total career he’s missed 10 out of 61. It’s not terrible, but it’s quite a few. Looks like more to come.

6 hours ago, AustexColt said:

If Shaq is not back on the field by next week than they should have put him on IR. His injury is more serious and it is a Andrew Luck 2.0   

The reason they didn’t put him on IR is because they wanted him to be able to practice because he missed all of training camp. So basically these last couple weeks has been his training camp to knock off the rust

13 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I will watch him play when he returns to the lineup. If he is hurt, he is hurt. Not sure where all the mental/retiring stuff is coming from. Haven’t heard anything about that. 

He said himself last year he has fallen out of love with football

5 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

He said himself last year he has fallen out of love with football

context...

IIRC, didn't feel he could be himself, had to be a certain way (need more detail, but I have my theory). 

Pressured by football or team?

Had family with health issues. 

Had covid himself

Was injured himself

Team collapsed G16 and 17

And to add... this was pre-back surgery. Sounds like his own doctor discovered the issue (link to back), instead of team's doctors. Which had to be frustrating. And, didn't want vac, and heard stuff from ownership about the same issue (assumed) about Wentz. 

And it took only two months to right the mind. I'm sure several players hated life after LVR and Jax games, and missing playoffs. 

From my prospective is that had he been on PUP he couldnt Practice UNTIL he came off that list. Same with IR. This from what i believe why they didn't put him on either of those. I'd almost be willing to bet he is back next week.  Maybe while he is out they are evaluating the depth. 

This practice has basically been his preseason. 

looks like a 4-13 kinda year.

Just now, strt182 said:

From my prospective is that had he been on PUP he couldnt Practice UNTIL he came off that list. Same with IR. This from what i believe why they didn't put him on either of those. I'd almost be willing to bet he is back next week.  Maybe while he is out they are evaluating the depth. 

This practice has basically been his preseason. 

its not looking good based on the tone in Frank's responses. 

35 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

The reason they didn’t put him on IR is because they wanted him to be able to practice because he missed all of training camp. So basically these last couple weeks has been his training camp to knock off the rust

yea what they said :p ( didnt see this before i posted mine.

1 minute ago, AustinnKaine said:

looks like a 4-13 kinda year.

its not looking good based on the tone in Frank's responses. 

Well Frank said that he just isn't there yet as to what they have seen from previous years film.

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

context...

IIRC, didn't feel he could be himself, had to be a certain way (need more detail, but I have my theory). 

Pressured by football or team?

Had family with health issues. 

Had covid himself

Was injured himself

Team collapsed G16 and 17

And to add... this was pre-back surgery. Sounds like his own doctor discovered the issue (link to back), instead of team's doctors. Which had to be frustrating. And, didn't want vac, and heard stuff from ownership about the same issue (assumed) about Wentz. 

And it took only two months to right the mind. I'm sure several players hated life after LVR and Jax games, and missing playoffs. 

True...but I dont think anyone really knows for sure if he got his mind right since, even if he says as much. About the same with whats really going on with this injury and the missed time, its anyones guess.

1 minute ago, Nesjan3 said:

True...but I dont think anyone really knows for sure if he got his mind right since, even if he says as much. About the same with whats really going on with this injury and the missed time, its anyones guess.

I take his word. 

He shared his mental situation in the first place, so assume he's honest about being a better place then. 

Now current rehab situation, IDK.

What we don't know, is if he had issues with organization. I'd guess perhaps yes. 

8 hours ago, jbaron04 said:

They said if he was on the pup he couldn’t practice with team , so even if it took him 2-4 weeks he could practice and take part in team activities etc… that what Frank said at end of pre season 

keep him active and let him heal. he can be ready to play when healed if he gets to practice now, meanwhile speed is developing

10 hours ago, AustexColt said:

I don’t know why you want to proclaim things as undeniable fact when you’re only working with pieces of the puzzle.  

Shaq is a long way from Andrew Luck 2.0, who had to retire.   That fact alone shows you how far off base your view is.   His injury, like Luck’s,  is pretty complicated.  These decisions are not as easy and obvious as some here would like to think. 

11 hours ago, Dingus McGirt said:

I don’t know, but, I wonder if Leonard is psychologically finished.

You just said exactly what I'm thinking to. I mean he's practicing full go all week but not playing. Which tells me he's not into it and doesn't want to play. He just wants to keep collecting paychecks as long as he can. I think he retires when he can't hold out any longer. Did you watch or listen to Reich's press conference on Friday about Shaq he said it was up to Shaq and he's not playing so that tells me a lot but everyone will have there opinion and that's okay. 

Archived