Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

At what point do we pull Ryan and give Foles a shot?

cptcomeback

It is still early in the season and the offensive line and receiver situation has been, well let's say, "less than ideal", but let's face it - Ryan has been stinking things up pretty badly thus far.  I wasn't exactly super thrilled when we signed him but it seemed like an upgrade at least of Wentz.  If he struggles early will Reich have the stones to pull him and try to salvage some sort of a decent offensive showing, or will he remain his stubborn self and, "stick with the plan"?  Personally, I would like to see what Foles can do, he has a quicker release and might be able to just hold on to the ball a bit more and not take the easy sacks, (though he isn't really a mobile QB type either).  There is a reason the Falcons let Ryan go on the cheap imho, and watching all the podcasts and pregame shows it appears I am not alone in this opinion...  Ehlinger might also be a better option as he is mobile and a diamond in the rough.  I say let's see what they got if Ryan continues to falter.  Two years?  Ugh.

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

IMHO...... if we are WAY out of he playoff race, like in game 11 and we are 2-8-1 

I would put Sam E in

I dont have faith in him at all..... but you can at least answer the question if he has a snowballs chance in the league

IMHO, after multiple chances our current backup IS JUST THAT and no more

If we are crappy, we do what others do,...... and take a swing at the QB of the future in the draft

• Like 1

If we're way behind (or ahead) in a game, then I could see giving Nick some mop up time and protect Matt from an injury suffered in a game in which the outcome is no longer in doubt, but for the next game and going forward, Ryan is the starting QB.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Next year is guaranteed with Ryan.  There is no way besides injury you start another QB.  He is our guy for better or worse. 

That is very unfortunate.  He is not going to work out, though I would like him to be successful.  Just another over the hill vet with little left in the tank.  Picked a heckuva year to quit drinking lol.  I will resemble Cartman the way I am nervously putting away the wings instead at gametime hahaha

2 hours ago, cptcomeback said:

It is still early in the season and the offensive line and receiver situation has been, well let's say, "less than ideal", but let's face it - Ryan has been stinking things up pretty badly thus far.  I wasn't exactly super thrilled when we signed him but it seemed like an upgrade at least of Wentz.  If he struggles early will Reich have the stones to pull him and try to salvage some sort of a decent offensive showing, or will he remain his stubborn self and, "stick with the plan"?  Personally, I would like to see what Foles can do, he has a quicker release and might be able to just hold on to the ball a bit more and not take the easy sacks, (though he isn't really a mobile QB type either).  There is a reason the Falcons let Ryan go on the cheap imho, and watching all the podcasts and pregame shows it appears I am not alone in this opinion...  Ehlinger might also be a better option as he is mobile and a diamond in the rough.  I say let's see what they got if Ryan continues to falter.  Two years?  Ugh.

No

No interest in Foles, he's a lower upside copy of Matt Ryan. If you eventually pull Matt Ryan, start Sam Elingher. There's literally no point to start Nick Foles. Sam and his style may end up being the difference to carry this team to a playoff berth if he can take the next step. Would bet money we are a 4-6 win team (if that) with Nick Foles.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, cptcomeback said:

Foles over Ryan...

Never, even if Ryan has a broken arm or leg. Or both.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cptcomeback said:

Ehlinger over Foles anyways. Everyone says he plays streetball, so does Hurts and a few other QBs that have too.

Some QBs have too play what they feel in the game whether it pressure  or just making a move to make defenses guessing.

We don't leave Ryan, but if we do I would rather go with Ehlinger.. JMO

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Maniac53 said:

Ehlinger over Foles anyways. Everyone says he plays streetball, so does Hurts and a few other QBs that have too.

Some QBs have too play what they feel in the game whether it pressure  or just making a move to make defenses guessing.

We don't leave Ryan, but if we do I would rather go with Ehlinger.. JMO

Matt>Sam>Nick 

Sam would be decent with Nick. Nick is using Hurts correctly. And has been aggressive (including personnel plan). But with Reich's scripts and conservative personnel plan, nope. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, cptcomeback said:

That is very unfortunate.  He is not going to work out, though I would like him to be successful.  Just another over the hill vet with little left in the tank.  Picked a heckuva year to quit drinking lol.  I will resemble Cartman the way I am nervously putting away the wings instead at gametime hahaha

I think he will improve.  The entire team is not playing well.  Only one way to go and that is up. At least I hope. 

Good job on quitting drinking!  My wife and I have basically as well. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I think he will improve.  The entire team is not playing well.  Only one way to go and that is up. At least I hope. 

Good job on quitting drinking!  My wife and I have basically as well. 

Yeah it’s not like he’s the only one struggling.  Frankly, he was okay vs the Texans but last week they could have had Peyton Manning in his prime back there and he was going to struggle.  Little help from the line and no WRs that could get open.  This team has bigger issues on offense than Matt Ryan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Do any of our QBs have the ability to put the team "on their back" and win games? - Like Peyton/ Mahomes/Brady/ others 

I havent seen it yet (but small sample) with Ryan, but dont think so  .......  ( I hope Im wrong)

Dont believe that Foles or SE fit that bill

If you dont have that type of QB on your roster, your odds are EXTREMELY long on having a SB winning team

Until we have that developing QB on this roster, we are probably going to have season after season of not enough to win the big game

That developing QB..... is NOT on our roster today

Its a crap shoot, but you have to throw the dice.....  EVERY YEAR.... AND you will MISS more than you HIT till you get THAT QB on the roster

Just an observation from a normally optimistic fan......