Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

It probably wouldn't happen to us, but...Sean Payton says he wants to coach again

jonjon

He said it would have to be the right owner, the right front office and the right culture. I think we would have a chance at him as Ballard had the same stipulations when Irsay convinced him to take the Colts job. If we continue this downtrend and Reich is fired I would hope Ballard and Irsay would be able to make it work. I still believe we have a good roster and a good front office with Ballard and Dodds, the preparation and offensive philosophy just needs improvement, seeing what Srianni is doing in Philadelphia is frustrating when it comes to how he has been able adapt the offense to his players strengths

Said it another thread but I don't think the Colts have a chance to land Payton if they are searching for a HC.

Payton is going to want a franchise QB in place. 

He also supposedly prefers a warm climate. 

Dallas is heavily speculated as a landing spot for him. I think the Chargers are another possibility. 

I think a more realistic proven HC the Colts could get is Jim Harbaugh. I believe it was the Vikings choice not to hire him last offseason. He has interest in the NFL. Yes, he did sign an extension with Michigan but from what I read it has friendly buyout terms. 

9 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

He said it would have to be the right owner, the right front office and the right culture. I think we would have a chance at him as Ballard had the same stipulations when Irsay convinced him to take the Colts job. If we continue this downtrend and Reich is fired I would hope Ballard and Irsay would be able to make it work. I still believe we have a good roster and a good front office with Ballard and Dodds, the preparation and offensive philosophy just needs improvement, seeing what Srianni is doing in Philadelphia is frustrating when it comes to how he has been able adapt the offense to his players strengths

I could see Ballard and Payton working very well together.

10 minutes ago, aReggie7 said:

Said it another thread but I don't think the Colts have a chance to land Payton if they are searching for a HC.

Dallas is heavily speculated as a landing spot for him. I think the Chargers are another possibility. 

I think a more realistic proven HC the Colts could get is Jim Harbaugh. I believe it was the Vikings choice not to hire him last offseason. He has interest in the NFL. Yes, he did sign an extension with Michigan but from what I read it has friendly buyout terms. 

Harbaugh and Ballard working together?  Can’t see it.  

52 minutes ago, aReggie7 said:

IDK. 

Jim - UM is kissing his bottom now. After the pay decrease, and now big raise, the whole situation is LOL. If he can beat OSU in Ohio this year, they'll give him another raise, and build a statue. Can't see him working for Irsay. And I think he would want a lot of control. Not sure why, gut tells me he ends on Browns or Bengals (sometime) if not UM.

Sean - likely wants control too. Easily most popular HC available. On weather, spent a ton time in cold areas.  IMO, 1. Situation, 2. Money, and 3. Weather, in that order. I'd give him money and control... all he wants.. 

7 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

IDK. 

Jim - UM is kissing his bottom now. After the pay decrease, and now big raise, the whole situation is LOL. If he can beat OSU in Ohio this year, they'll give him another raise, and build a statue. Can't see him working for Irsay. And I think he would want a lot of control. Not sure why, gut tells me he ends on Browns or Bengals (sometime) if not UM.

Sean - likely wants control too. Easily most popular HC available. On weather, spent a ton time in cold areas.  IMO, 1. Situation, 2. Money, and 3. Weather, in that order. I'd give him money and control... all he wants.. 

Yeah, I don't think the odds are super high that Harbaugh would come to Indy. I just think the odds are higher than Payton coming to Indy. 

I agree that weather isn't the most important thing for Payton but I think it might play a factor. That's just from speculation i've heard/read on his potential return. I do think he will prioritize not just the overall roster but the QB situation. I just can't see him coming to Indy for that reason alone.

Harbaugh? Maybe. He was interested in Minnesota last offseason so he doesn't seem like he would be as selective on an NFL return as I think Payton will be. There are other factors though as you pointed out. The chance of either is likely low at best. 

2 minutes ago, aReggie7 said:

Yeah, I don't think the odds are super high that Harbaugh would come to Indy. I just think the odds are higher than Payton coming to Indy. 

I agree that weather isn't the most important thing for Payton but I think it might play a factor. That's just from speculation i've heard/read on his potential return. I do think he will prioritize not just the overall roster but the QB situation. I just can't see him coming to Indy for that reason alone.

Harbaugh? Maybe. He was interested in Minnesota last offseason so he doesn't seem like he would be as selective on an NFL return as I think Payton will be. There are other factors though as you pointed out. The chance of either is likely low at best. 

IMO, Jim was heavily irritated with UM BOT. Wanted to bolt. Seems things are repaired now. 

Most of us, like good weather lol!!  Comparable money and situation, definitely go with good weather.  

1 hour ago, aReggie7 said:

I wanted Jim Harbaugh back before we got Reich going into 2018, when it didn't happen I gave up on that dream.

49 minutes ago, Shive said:

I'm not sure i understand the infatuation with Sean Payton. He had some solid years in NO with a future HOF QB, but I wouldn't give up draft capital to get him.

Give any coach a Hall of Fame QB and they will win a lot of games and probably at least 1 SB. Barry Switzer won with Troy Aikman. Bottomline is, anyone that has a Tom, Peyton, Montana, Elway, Rodgers, Brees pretty much hit the lottery. Give me a headset to coach those guys and I could win 12 games every year eating popcorn, chewing bubble gum just pacing the sideline doing nothingJon Stewart Popcorn GIF. We will never know but if Reich had Andrew Luck from the beginning, I am sure we win 12 games almost every year.

1 hour ago, Shive said:

I'm not sure i understand the infatuation with Sean Payton. He had some solid years in NO with a future HOF QB, but I wouldn't give up draft capital to get him.

Payton is top 25 in W%.

And many, credit Payton, with Brees's success to a level. 

IIRC, Brees (2005) was horrendous. Joins in Payton, and boom, good in 2006. 

If we flat out suck this year, we have a good shot at a good rookie franchise QB, and we all knew Ryan was a short-term option, so that shouldn't be a thing. 

What would be funny is if we hire him and they do a video of him coming in with a lot of Saints bling on and blathering on about his SB vs the Colts while people stare him down lol

IF they are in a position to get Young, Stroud or even Levis...I could see Irsay making a bit attempt to woo him.

But I would be curious to see how Ballard fits into that. I could see Payton wanting to bring in a new leader in the FO...perhaps even someone he knows (like Jeff Ireland) or some other exec from NO.

On 9/22/2022 at 9:40 PM, aReggie7 said:

Sean Payton isn't a guy Jerry Jones can hire as his "Yes man" puppet Head Coach like Jason Garrett & Mike McCarthy. Sean Payton would want full reign on the team and complete control when it came down to making all the decisions. As long as Jerry Jones is around, the Cowboys will never have the chance to hire a HC on Sean Payton's level. At least in Indianapolis, Jim Irsay will allow him to take complete control of the team and run the organization his way with his staff.

Remember this?

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2017/1/22/14353868/sean-payton-had-interest-in-the-colts-but-team-says-they-didnt-share-that-interest

If they have the opportunity to bring Sean Payton in and pass on him due to pick compensation I think that would be a mistake.  These hot coordinator types are mostly going to need time and to prove themselves.  Irsay's an old man.  How much time does he have.

If Sean Payton is willing to come to Indy it's a no-brainer.  Give up the pick Jim.  He is a legitimate top echelon head coach.  These guys don't come available all that often.  Be the team that benefits.

10 hours ago, Dark Superman said:

Sean Payton isn't a guy Jerry Jones can hire as his "Yes man" puppet Head Coach like Jason Garrett & Mike McCarthy. Sean Payton would want full reign on the team and complete control when it came down to making all the decisions. As long as Jerry Jones is around, the Cowboys will never have the chance to hire a HC on Sean Payton's level. At least in Indianapolis, Jim Irsay will allow him to take complete control of the team and run the organization his way with his staff.

You might be right about Payton and Dallas I just know that him landing there is common speculation. 

I don’t think there is a chance Payton would consider the Colts, forget all other factors, without a younger franchise QB in place. Not even with all of the control in the world. Makes no sense for him to take a job unless the right QB being clearly in place for the next 5+ years. 

History shows the odds of the colts getting a High Profile HC are slim. 

Not sure how good/great Payton is considering only 1 super bowl.with a HOF QB but he is certainly High Profile. 

Rumor was Brady wanted him to follow him to miami, which he agreed to, but it fell through so Brady forced Arians out and came back to Tampa.

23 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

History shows the odds of the colts getting a High Profile HC are slim. 

Not sure how good/great Payton is considering only 1 super bowl.with a HOF QB but he is certainly High Profile. 

Rumor was Brady wanted him to follow him to miami, which he agreed to, but it fell through so Brady forced Arians out and came back to Tampa.

Sounds like he’s cool with an older quarterback.

On 9/22/2022 at 6:06 PM, jonjon said:

As early as next year:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34643869/sean-payton-says-interested-returning-nfl-coach-2023-right-situation

It would be ironic signing the guy who beat us in the SB though.

Lol. He ain't coming here. Thing big city..big market. I don't see him in Dallas. The Giants.

9 hours ago, aReggie7 said:

You might be right about Payton and Dallas I just know that him landing there is common speculation. 

I don’t think there is a chance Payton would consider the Colts, forget all other factors, without a younger franchise QB in place. Not even with all of the control in the world. Makes no sense for him to take a job unless the right QB being clearly in place for the next 5+ years. 

U have to remember all u Colts fans.  If Reich and Ballard get fired what tupe of team are they leaving behind?  U honestly think Payton would come to Indy as they would have numerous holes and all their money sink into bad postions.

21 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

U have to remember all u Colts fans.  If Reich and Ballard get fired what tupe of team are they leaving behind?  U honestly think Payton would come to Indy as they would have numerous holes and all their money sink into bad postions.

For enough $$$ he would come in and fix the problems...he would need his own GM selection tho.

I would love too have Payton.

I don't think he going to come here with GM Ballard.. JMO

Plus I don't think Irsay cleans house until end of season.

Nobody knows who is safe here, If we fire Frank and Ballard we could find players too come depending on Irsay hires for their replacement.

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Lol. He ain't coming here. Thing big city..big market. I don't see him in Dallas. The Giants.

I would choose the Colts over the Cowboys.

Colts have a better roster.  Colts have a better owner, in that he isn't trying to be the GM.  They have a first round pick and can mortgage future picks if necessary to go get a QB in this next draft, so the Cowboys are better at QB but in Indy you can be part of choosing that QB of the future.

So ruling him out right now feels premature.  Though this conversation is also premature, but I think the Colts are attractive because they can win right away and if you hit on a QB you're in business.

Payton I dont believe would come here for the simple fact he will want control of more than what Ballard wants to give up.

I may be wrong, Ballard is more of what is keeping the Colts going anywhere. IMO

I'm hoping Irsay will see it but he probably won't

Goodnight, Colt brothers and sisters need too get my beauty sleep more that I'm getting older .Lmao 

Colts will win today, but don't make that one win make the Colts, at the end of season you will be disappointed like every other year.. JMO

Love ya all!

12 hours ago, Boondoggle said:

I would choose the Colts over the Cowboys.

Colts have a better roster.  Colts have a better owner, in that he isn't trying to be the GM.  They have a first round pick and can mortgage future picks if necessary to go get a QB in this next draft, so the Cowboys are better at QB but in Indy you can be part of choosing that QB of the future.

So ruling him out right now feels premature.  Though this conversation is also premature, but I think the Colts are attractive because they can win right away and if you hit on a QB you're in business.

I would  choose neither. Dallas has Jones the imbasal and an over rated roster.  Indy has an over rated roster. Although Pauton is a offensive genius, I think his teams were constructed much  like the Manning teams and therefore did poorly in the playoffs. That being said. He will receive many calls when black Monday rolls around. 

On 9/22/2022 at 9:38 PM, Zoltan said:

If Irsay wants SP, he will tell Ballard to make it happen.  Just like he did with Dungy/Polian.  We will see, depending how this season plays out, the odds on this could change remarkably.

39 minutes ago, Jackie Daytona said:

If Irsay wants SP, he will tell Ballard to make it happen.  Just like he did with Dungy/Polian.  We will see, depending how this season plays out, the odds on this could change remarkably.

Unlikely that it would work that way.  Typically chasing a coach of SP's stature requires direct owner intervention to include wining and dining.  This is because if he is the target he would make the decision on whether the GM is retained.  If Irsay approaches him with Ballard as a requirement he may pass on the job.

SP would require final say on personnel.  I think that's a given in this scenario.  So if he were to be open to keeping Chris then you see whether Chris is good with losing the nod on personnel.  And so on.

Archived