EastStreet

So let's look at the 3 INTs.......

Only first INT is worthy lol

Vid at bottom

1. INT 1
    • Situation (0-0)
      • 3rd-10 down, Jax 40 yard line
      • INT depth:  +17 yards,
      • Read - early, likely 1st priority (play call)
      • Route - 5 (out route) to slot (Dulin)
    • OL - iOL Ok, but Smith lost guy (DE) quickly, pretty clear to path Ryan
    • Defense
      • S help, and jumps the route.
      • Shocked S looking (that's sarcasm) for intermediate/deep out-5 routes 
    • QB
      • pretty obvious... 1st read, timing shot.... no look except 1st read IMO... time?
      • Not horrible pass (for timing shot), but did he not see S jumping??? 
      • Smith's DE,  forced early pass?
    • WR/TE
      • Dulin (target)
        • 5 out route - beat CB to the sideline. Good route, likely a catch without S jump
      • Strachan
        • 2-slant route, at 1st down line
        • with good inside position vs a CB that is 4 inches smaller, and 30lbs less... lol
        • likely last read/progression
        • no brainer?
      • Granson
        • Wut the ...... lining up widest sideline (play side)... HUHHHHHHHH? lol.. holy cow. 
        • 2-shallow slant route, little open, but DB would tackle shallow. 
      • Other WR
        • Can't see, but assuming Patmon
        • Running 9, but obvious a clear-out route, not a real read/target
        • Patmon 9? nah. Not enough speed, and not a my-ball guy.... Why not Campbell, and a real read/target.... 
  2. INT 2
    • Situation (0-24)
      • 2nd-10, Jax 42, 4Q 4:30ish left
      • Already over
    • Simple 
      • Not Ryan.
      • OL was decent, and pocket OK, but great DL play (tipped). D was prevent
      • Can't see WR/TE routes, but good starts (Jax prevent)
  3. INT 3 
    • Situation (0-24) 
      • 1st -10, Indy 13, 4Q 2:30ish left
    • Simple 
      • Already over.
      • OL was OK (pocket had 3 secs). D was prevent
      • Bad pass to deep sideline (desperation play)...
      • No need to analyze lol... 

I assume this is a thread about poor routes and Frank...not really about an interception Ryan threw.

Marcus Brady has to do a better job of coordinating who is in the game and where they are lining up to run which route.  Rathman shuffled in the RBs during games last year.   I'm sure Brady does that this year with the WRs.  Frank would be too busy on the sidelines calling plays to be telling people which WR should be in and out of the game on any play and where to line up.  Somebody COORDINATES that during the game.    

If Brady would have just flipped Patmon with Dulin for this game then I think the routes  would have worked better and Dulin may have got the most targets.  Need better coordination between the  talent and the routes within the play call. 

Frank needs to take control over this stuff more.  He didn't have to when Siranni was here.  For example, I don't think TY was put in the game to run possession routes when Nick coordinated the offense, but I could be wrong. 

But in the end, missing your two starting WRs on an already far below average group is going to impact the O.  Everything becomes a cluster.  The opposing defense smells blood and attacks more.  It's not like the Eagles would lose Smith and Brown for a game and keep being a successful passing team.  They'd probably have to resort to being a running team like they were last year when Siranni didn't have his WRs he needed to call the proper passing game.  Same deal with Tua in MIA.

Also somebody needs to teach Granson to lead block, especially if he has problems lining up.  He's the perfect size for an HBack.  Then we might have a real short yardage goal line personnel package...not that it was an issue this game,

10 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Not horrible pass (for timing shot), but did he not see S jumping???

I disagree with this unfortunately. It was a bad throw. Can't be throwing floaters like that against NFL defenses. Too easy for the safety to track and make a play on that one. That was like a popup fly in baseball... Easy out.

The first interception is a pass that Ryan should never make having played in the NFL for 15 years.

It actually set the tone for the game IMO. We were driving & in Jacksonville territory. Gave them all momentum. & honestly, I knew it was going to be bad as soon as that INT happened 

11 hours ago, EastStreet said:

So let's look at the 3 INTs.......

Only first INT is worthy lol

Vid at bottom

1. INT 1
    • Situation (0-0)
      • 3rd-10 down, Jax 40 yard line
      • INT depth:  +17 yards,
      • Read - early, likely 1st priority (play call)
      • Route - 5 (out route) to slot (Dulin)
    • OL - iOL Ok, but Smith lost guy (DE) quickly, pretty clear to path Ryan
    • Defense
      • S help, and jumps the route.
      • Shocked S looking (that's sarcasm) for intermediate/deep out-5 routes 
    • QB
      • pretty obvious... 1st read, timing shot.... no look except 1st read IMO... time?
      • Not horrible pass (for timing shot), but did he not see S jumping??? 
      • Smith's DE,  forced early pass?
    • WR/TE
      • Dulin (target)
        • 5 out route - beat CB to the sideline. Good route, likely a catch without S jump
      • Strachan
        • 2-slant route, at 1st down line
        • with good inside position vs a CB that is 4 inches smaller, and 30lbs less... lol
        • likely last read/progression
        • no brainer?
      • Granson
        • Wut the ...... lining up widest sideline (play side)... HUHHHHHHHH? lol.. holy cow. 
        • 2-shallow slant route, little open, but DB would tackle shallow. 
      • Other WR
        • Can't see, but assuming Patmon
        • Running 9, but obvious a clear-out route, not a real read/target
        • Patmon 9? nah. Not enough speed, and not a my-ball guy.... Why not Campbell, and a real read/target.... 
  2. INT 2
    • Situation (0-24)
      • 2nd-10, Jax 42, 4Q 4:30ish left
      • Already over
    • Simple 
      • Not Ryan.
      • OL was decent, and pocket OK, but great DL play (tipped). D was prevent
      • Can't see WR/TE routes, but good starts (Jax prevent)
  3. INT 3 
    • Situation (0-24) 
      • 1st -10, Indy 13, 4Q 2:30ish left
    • Simple 
      • Already over.
      • OL was OK (pocket had 3 secs). D was prevent
      • Bad pass to deep sideline (desperation play)...
      • No need to analyze lol... 

I mean...they still count. 

Plenty of praise for Ryan for playing well when he was down big against HOU. But now we just throw out that he played poorly when he was down big against JAC? 

On the second INT, this is going to happen when you can only throw over the middle.

On the third INT, that is just a terrible throw and should make us question whether he can even throw outside anymore.

Remember that article from Nick Shook, that ranked Ryan as the #2 deep passer last year?

6 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Plenty of praise for Ryan for playing well when he was down big against HOU. But now we just throw out that he played poorly when he was down big against JAC? 

On the second INT, this is going to happen when you can only throw over the middle.

On the third INT, that is just a terrible throw and should make us question whether he can even throw outside anymore.

Remember that article from Nick Shook, that ranked Ryan as the #2 deep passer last year?

I don’t see many not wanting to blame him. The whole team looked like a hot mess from the coaching staff down.

I’ll hold off on the deep ball stats and over analyzing since you know we are 2 weeks in to a 17 week season. Good grief.

1 hour ago, FanOutOfTown said:

I don’t see many not wanting to blame him. The whole team looked like a hot mess from the coaching staff down.

I’ll hold off on the deep ball stats and over analyzing since you know we are 2 weeks in to a 17 week season. Good grief.

The point of this thread to absolve blame for all 3 INTs.

Nobody should over-analyze it. But don't just throw it out either because of desperation or because it's only been two games.

It's still a jarring stat and and a very troubling trend so far, as it pertains to the passing game. We watched the same games...those were just really bad passes. Hopefully, it's just a blip, but I am not convinced.

7 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

The point of this thread to absolve blame for all 3 INTs.

Nobody should over-analyze it. But don't just throw it out either because of desperation or because it's only been two games.

It's still a jarring stat and and a very troubling trend so far, as it pertains to the passing game. We watched the same games...those were just really bad passes. Hopefully, it's just a blip, but I am not convinced.

The last INT he had was just out of desperation, game was over anyway. I do blame him for the one, we were moving the ball well with Hines in there. Usually Matt doesn't make that throw being the 1st drive INT. 

Ryan was godawful terrible after watching ALL 22 for the first time.  He locks on right now.  He is inaccurate.  He had at least 4 other INT worthy throws. 

He totally missed Granson wide open in going into the EZ in the 3rd. 

He looks old, slow, shell shocked, weak armed, and lost.

I think he might improve, but yeah.  He ain't no good at all right now. 

1 minute ago, Nickster said:

Ryan was godawful terrible after watching ALL 22 for the first time.  He locks on right now.  He is inaccurate.  He had at least 4 other INT worthy throws. 

maybe Irsay is trying to suck for the top pick and he knew Wentz wouldn’t be bad enough :lol:

3 minutes ago, Nickster said:

He's an old man, what do you expect and we will still win the division with his cane and noodle arm clint eastwood kids GIF

11 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Sometimes when QB's take a beating behind a porous Oline, they get happy feet, start seeing ghosts or other issues.

Ryan will be fine if we can protect him decently.  He's not getting that now.

57 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

anyone watched that game and gave Ryan part of the blame on why we lost is either a Wentz fan, Frank lover, or don’t know football.  Lol

I think he played bad for his standards but he didn't have his #1 or #2 WR's. The 1st INT, I blame him for, the other 2 were MEH, game was over and he was trying to force.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He's an old man, what do you expect and we will still win the division with his cane and noodle arm clint eastwood kids GIF

This division stinks worse that an overflowing PortAJohn in downtown Atlanta in the sunshine of an August afternoon. 

I think ole Clint is down wind of that 

So yeah, we are right in it. 

You still down with the AFC Champ game Homey?

Thing is, we get a Division champ, we get a home playoff game lol.   But we'd have to win 2 to make it.  i can't really see a way of that happening right now, unless we have mass secret injuries that heal.

2 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Sometimes when QB's take a beating behind a porous Oline, they get happy feet, start seeing ghosts or other issues.

Ryan will be fine if we can protect him decently.  He's not getting that now.

Sure that goes for any QB.  He was beaten like a red headed step child.

Spank Drag Queen GIF by Miss Petty

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What irk's me about Wentz losing to them Last year 26-11, we were 100% healthy. Wentz had Pitt, TY, and Leonard on D and we still got smoked with everything on the line. Last years Jags loss was worse as we were 15 point favorites.

The Jags team this season is a far better team than the Jags team last season.

There can be no question about that.

3 minutes ago, Nickster said:

This division stinks worse that an overflowing PortAJohn in downtown Atlanta in the sunshine of an August afternoon. 

I think ole Clint is down wind of that 

So yeah, we are right in it. 

You still down with the AFC Champ game Homey?

Thing is, we get a Division champ, we get a home playoff game lol.   But we'd have to win 2 to make it.  i can't really see a way of that happening right now, unless we have mass secret injuries that heal.

I am still sticking with my AFC Title Game pick, not backing off. Even we lose this week - still on board. As long as we win the division and we will, everyone is 0-0 again The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)

13 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am still sticking with my AFC Title Game pick, not backing off. Even we lose this week - still on board. As long as we win the division and we will, everyone is 0-0 again The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)

Not sure about the AFC title game, but as bad as things have gone winning the division is still in reach.

We just have to right the ship quickly.

1 minute ago, PRnum1 said:

Not sure about the AFC title game, but as bad as things have gone winning the division is still in reach.

We just have to right the ship quickly.

I think Matt will get it together but our WR's need to stay healthy. There are still 9 real winnable games on the schedule. It would not surprise me if 8-8-1 won the division. 

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think Matt will get it together but our WR's need to stay healthy. There are still 9 real winnable games on the schedule. It would not surprise me if 8-8-1 won the division. 

IF, it is a BIG IF, we get our offense together, I do see us going 9-7-1 at the very least.

29 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Some in here are probably like, why just focus on winning the division and not the Big Show. It is the 1st step is why. That is our way in, then anything can happen, look at Cincy last year.

That's a strange way to look at it for me.  I haven't thought we'd have a shot at the big show in any season since PM was the QB.  Not even the good Luck years did I think we had a complete enough team to go to the show...but we almost did one year.  I haven't thought about the SB yet under Ballard....not even close...and this team is probably his worse one after the JB team unless those young drafted players start to perform.

I just feel like only winning the division is an underachievement for a Colts team 6 year into a rebuild. 

The AFC South is so weak we should be winning it consistently and in superior fashion. Instead we’re bumbling a long never really improving and not fixing what have been issues for years now. 

It’s not unfair to be expecting better at this point. There’s a reason 5-6 years is the average for a GM to be with a team. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What irk's me about Wentz losing to them Last year 26-11, we were 100% healthy. Wentz had Pitt, TY, and Leonard on D and we still got smoked with everything on the line. Last years Jags loss was worse as we were 15 point favorites.

We were? I thought half the team had covid?? Nobody played good in that game either, maybe it's the water in Jax or something. I do know we beat the Texans twice last year though.

9 hours ago, RollerColt said:

I disagree with this unfortunately. It was a bad throw. Can't be throwing floaters like that against NFL defenses. Too easy for the safety to track and make a play on that one. That was like a popup fly in baseball... Easy out.

Feel free to disagree my friend. 

Not sure how much you know about routes, or route combinations? This is likely the priority read/target, and Smith losing the DE, Ryan had to rush the throw. The question you need to ask... why did the S decide to jump the route....

Here's the answer... The route combo was actually a good one. But with the wrong personnel. The safety likely picked the area, because:

• Patmon and Dulin were bunched. Why? Patmon was too slow to run a good "clear out". Had he fired down the field (like a guy Parris could have), the decision was very hard. And likely gone to help with Campbell (would have had good separation). FYI, Parris is 4.3ish vs Patmon 4.5ish
  • Also, the route combo, is like a reverse sail. A sail, has the inside route running the clear out, and outside route curves inside. This route had the outside running the clear out (it failed, no attention), and inside went outside. Both these route combos are timing passes, and won't be laser like. 
  • Bonus.... why Granson far outside lol... never was a real threat. Strachan route/depth/position was good. Should have been on the right side. 

8 hours ago, shasta519 said:

That tweet was stupid. 

Cherry picked lol... "16+" arbitrary number... no mention the last two were at end. 

tip + bad pass, both under 5 min in 4Q, it was already over.

do you think there's any meaning or insight in that tweet lol... 

3 hours ago, Coltsfan98 said:

We were? I thought half the team had covid?? Nobody played good in that game either, maybe it's the water in Jax or something. I do know we beat the Texans twice last year though.

Wentz had Covid before the Raiders game but was even cleared for that game. He was fine and he even said so before the Jags game.

4 hours ago, DougDew said:

That's a strange way to look at it for me.  I haven't thought we'd have a shot at the big show in any season since PM was the QB.  Not even the good Luck years did I think we had a complete enough team to go to the show...but we almost did one year.  I haven't thought about the SB yet under Ballard....not even close...and this team is probably his worse one after the JB team unless those young drafted players start to perform.

I thought in 2013, 2014, and in 2018 we had a chance at a SB run with Luck. Problem with 2013, 2014, and 2018 was the Pats were in our way. KC in 2018 as well. I thought in 2020 we were good. We actually had Buffalo beat.

8 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

All guys say: "I'm great" when asked... lol...

Are you really going to use Covid as an excuse to why we lost in Jacks last year. The whole week before the game, it was reported everyone was healthy and practices went great. We were 15 point favorites. Wentz did a couple of interviews and even sounded fine. I am not buying that excuse. Last week we were without our #1 and #2 WR's and without Leonard and were only 3.5 point favorites. Last years loss was 10 times worse.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Are you really going to use Covid as an excuse to why we lost in Jacks last year. The whole week before the game, it was reported everyone was healthy and practices went great. We were 15 point favorites. Wentz did a couple of interviews and even sounded fine. I am not buying that excuse. Last week we were without our #1 and #2 WR's and without Leonard and were only 3.5 point favorites. Last years loss was 10 times worse.

Did I say that? no.

I said... players provide bull when asked about injury/illness

And the whole bolded above is also bull. Standard "news" from our team. You really believe what the team says every week... lol.. It's all roses ... always... .... lol

The entire team quit vs Jax. 

Just now, EastStreet said:

Did I say that? no.

I said... players provide bull when asked about injury/illness

And the whole bolded above is also bull. Standard "news" from our team. You really believe what the team says every week... lol.. It's all roses ... always... .... lol

The entire team quit vs Jax. 

I don't buy everything what we say or what the media says but I am just not blaming it on Covid either. We played badly as a team and so did Wentz. We played badly last week as well but had huge key injuries. Matt is out there throwing to guys that are basically 4 and 5's - ok so Matt played bad but that more understandable is all I am saying. Not having Leonard on D is glaring as well because we can't create a turnover to save our lives.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't buy everything what we say or what the media says but I am just not blaming it on Covid either. We played badly as a team and so did Wentz. We played badly last week as well but had huge key injuries. Matt is out there throwing to guys that are basically 4 and 5's - ok so Matt played bad but that more understandable is all I am saying. Not having Leonard on D is glaring as well because we can't create a turnover to save our lives.

Reich is this issue. Team does not believe. And routes and play calling are just horrible. 

I'm done with all the excuses. 

Archived