Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL.com - Reason for Hope for the Indianapolis Colts

sb41champs

"Reason for hope: They started 1-4 last season and STILL should have made the playoffs.

A little less than a calendar year ago, the Colts were having to answer big questions about the state of the franchise following an 0-3 start (including an 0-2 mark at home), with the defense mostly to blame. 

The reasons for this year's 0-1-1 start might be slightly different, yet they're just as frustrating. It's hard to get shut out by the team that picked first in the draft this year (and suffer five sacks and three interceptions) and maintain a rosy disposition.

And yet, even with two gut-wrenching overtime losses to the Ravens and Titans later last season, the Colts found themselves at 9-6 on Christmas, with a playoff berth there for the taking. No, we can't justify how they finished last season, which looked eerily similar to how this season is starting. But we also clearly can't write off this one.

The offensive struggles in two games are real. They're one-dimensional even with Michael Pittman Jr. on the field, so having him and fellow receiver Alec Pierce as late scratches against the Jaguars in Week 2 certainly hurt. But it's hard to believe this offensive line, Matt Ryan, Jonathan Taylor and Nyheim Hines can't and won't do more. 

Even with some tough games upcoming, starting Sunday against Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs, it's too soon to dismiss this Colts team. It might not be great, but it certainly should be better than what we've seen through eight quarters."

I concur with all points made.

It's a long long season - and - the team has time on their side - to begin to play AS a team!!

Nice spin but so far the facts are last years WRs were better than this years.  Last years OL was better than this years.  Last years safeties were better than this years.  Last years TEs were better than this years.   Last years DL was better than this years.  It’s a long season but so far many of our off-season changes are not working out.   There is a lot of improvement that needs to take place.  I’m not confident we have the talent and coaching needed to pull it off this year.  Not looking good at all. 

If this team shows some fight and actually makes a game of it vs KC, i wont be writing the team off just yet, even if we would be 0 - 2 - 1....

Worst case scenario, we lose and all other teams win, the division would look like the following:

Jags 2 - 1
Texans 1 - 1 - 1
Titans 1 - 2
Colts 0 - 2 - 1

We would be literally only 2 games back, even with a loss. The team just needs to show us something. Yeah we will be winless, but this is the AFC South... 9 or 10 wins may do it. We have certainly dug a hole for ourselves to get out of, but whats new? We do this every year.

All i need to see is that fight and make a game of it vs the chiefs and I'll still have a modicum of hope for this season, even if we lose. If we get blown out and look just as inept as we did against the Jags, then you might as well pencil us in for a top 5 pick tbh.

This week and next week are the season on the line already tbh. If we dont show up vs the Chiefs and cant beat the Titans and go 0 - 3 - 1, then its over, i dont see any return at that point because we havent even looked competitive and from that point on the schedule is:

@Boncos
Jags
@Titans
Commanders
@Pats
@Raiders
Eagles
Steelers
@Cowboys
@Vikings
Chargers
@Giants
Texans

Realistically, considering we would already be 0 - 3 - 1 at that point, I couldnt see us wining maybe more than 3 or 4 of those games.... 

If we show some fight and actually look like a football team and are 1 - 2 - 1, then i could see us beating Broncos, Jags (at our place), Commanders, Pats, Steelers, Cowboys, Giants, Texans and maaaybe if we are lucky the Titans again to get us to 10 wins with the extra tied game to put us over the top.

If ifs and buts were candies and nuts though... right?

13 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Nice spin but so far the facts are last years WRs were better than this years.  Last years OL was better than this years.  Last years safeties were better than this years.  Last years TEs were better than this years.   Last years DL was better than this years.  It’s a long season but so far many of our off-season changes are not working out.   There is a lot of improvement that needs to take place.  I’m not confident we have the talent and coaching needed to pull it off this year.  Not looking good at all. 

Not so sure about that one but perhaps the scheme they are using makes it worse.  The D-Line should be dramatically better, so it is discouraging that it is not playing that way.  

1 minute ago, lollygagger8 said:

Why does anyone want to sneak into the playoffs (because the rest of the bad division is somehow weaker than this team) just to get beat in the first game.....yet again? 

Just for us to pick at #17 or wherever, then Ballard trade the pick for more 2nd rounders? 

Why does anyone want to win? Because thats why you play the game? 

Once you're in the dance, anything can happen.... Did the Bengals look like a superbowl bound team early or even mid season last year? Did they even really look like a superbowl bound team at the start of December last year?

What about the last time the Giants won the superbowl?

Also, if you are pinning your entire fandom and enjoyment of a season on the team being one of the best in the NFL and making a deep playoff push and winning the superbowl every year, then you arent often going to be having a lot of enjoyment from the sport. Go ask any Browns or Jets fans that feels that way what that has been like for them for the past couple decades.

All I want to see is my team play football and make it entertaining. Would it be nice if they won the superbowl every year.... yeah of course.... but thats not realistic. I'm never one for tanking a season for a higher draft pick, thats a crap shoot in and of itself. Play to win the game. Period. If you sneak into the playoffs, great!

5 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

Why does anyone want to win? Because thats why you play the game? 

Once you're in the dance, anything can happen.... Did the Bengals look like a superbowl bound team early or even mid season last year? Did they even really look like a superbowl bound team at the start of December last year?

What about the last time the Giants won the superbowl?

Also, if you are pinning your entire fandom and enjoyment of a season on the team being one of the best in the NFL and making a deep playoff push and winning the superbowl every year, then you arent often going to be having a lot of enjoyment from the sport. Go ask any Browns or Jets fans that feels that way what that has been like for them for the past couple decades.

All I want to see is my team play football and make it entertaining. Would it be nice if they won the superbowl every year.... yeah of course.... but thats not realistic. I'm never one for tanking a season for a higher draft pick, thats a crap shoot in and of itself. Play to win the game. Period. If you sneak into the playoffs, great!

AnnualConcreteLemming-max-1mb.gif

I have stayed away for 3 days from reading any posts and almost everyone in here seems to just be throwing this team under the bus. Reich, Matt, our D just getting ripped to shreds. That is fine because we played like doo doo against Jacks. It doesn't even bother me anymore, it is just strange True Colts fans have no hope when it is just 2 games into the season. After this week we will be in 1st place because we will upset KC and the other 3 teams will lose looking at the schedule. Jags aren't winning here nor are the Titans or Texans. This place has absolutely imploded with the bashing of this team after I have read at least 4 or 5 different threads. SMH from Irsay wanting to buy guitars so he doesn't care about football, Matt having a noodle arm, Reich needs to be fired, Ballard needs to go, etc.. chuckling homer simpson GIF

3 hours ago, Chucklez said:

If this team shows some fight and actually makes a game of it vs KC, i wont be writing the team off just yet, even if we would be 0 - 2 - 1....

Worst case scenario, we lose and all other teams win, the division would look like the following:

Jags 2 - 1
Texans 1 - 1 - 1
Titans 1 - 2
Colts 0 - 2 - 1

We would be literally only 2 games back, even with a loss. The team just needs to show us something. Yeah we will be winless, but this is the AFC South... 9 or 10 wins may do it. We have certainly dug a hole for ourselves to get out of, but whats new? We do this every year.

All i need to see is that fight and make a game of it vs the chiefs and I'll still have a modicum of hope for this season, even if we lose. If we get blown out and look just as inept as we did against the Jags, then you might as well pencil us in for a top 5 pick tbh.

This week and next week are the season on the line already tbh. If we dont show up vs the Chiefs and cant beat the Titans and go 0 - 3 - 1, then its over, i dont see any return at that point because we havent even looked competitive and from that point on the schedule is:

@Boncos
Jags
@Titans
Commanders
@Pats
@Raiders
Eagles
Steelers
@Cowboys
@Vikings
Chargers
@Giants
Texans

Realistically, considering we would already be 0 - 3 - 1 at that point, I couldnt see us wining maybe more than 3 or 4 of those games.... 

If we show some fight and actually look like a football team and are 1 - 2 - 1, then i could see us beating Broncos, Jags (at our place), Commanders, Pats, Steelers, Cowboys, Giants, Texans and maaaybe if we are lucky the Titans again to get us to 10 wins with the extra tied game to put us over the top.

If ifs and buts were candies and nuts though... right?

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have stayed away for 3 days from reading any posts and almost everyone in here seems to just be throwing this team under the bus. Reich, Matt, our D just getting ripped to shreds. That is fine because we played like doo doo against Jacks. It doesn't even bother me anymore, it is just strange True Colts fans have no hope when it is just 2 games into the season. After this week we will be in 1st place because we will upset KC and the other 3 teams will lose looking at the schedule. Jags aren't winning here nor are the Titans or Texans. This place has absolutely imploded with the bashing of this team after I have read at least 4 or 5 different threads. SMH from Irsay wanting to buy guitars so he doesn't care about football, Matt having a noodle arm, Reich needs to be fired, Ballard needs to go, etc.. chuckling homer simpson GIF

If this Colts team, from where they have come from in week 1 and week 2 (against arguably on paper two of the worst teams in the NFL), comes out and beats the Kansas City Chiefs, I will buy you a beer.... I'm not sure how, seeing as I live in the UK, but I will find a way to buy you a beer, and I'll even throw in a packet of peanuts as well.

I'd also point you to my post above, I'm already on the record saying that this team if it finds it's form and starts playing competently, is far from out of the conversation of winning the division and making the playoffs. But we have to see it before we can just brashly say "Colts are going to be fine and win against KC"..... If we come out and look as inept against KC as we did the Jags and how we looked for the majority of the Texans game, then this team is going to implode.

We will still win this division - we are the best team in the division fortunately, so far our play has been surprising. 0-1-1 isn't the end of the world though. I thought we played good enough in the 2nd half to beat the Texans and unfortunately we got a tie out of it. Last week was a toilet flusher I will admit chicken nuggets toilet GIF- Tennessee is bad, Texans are bad, we will beat the Jags here so I am not sure why everyone is panicking after 2 games? Even if KC beats us we still have 3 real winnable games after that. Tennessee here, at Denver, and Jags here. Yeah it sucks we aren't that 2-0 like many expected but this season is far from over. I honestly think 8-8-1 may win the division.

Some will ask me, why would you want to even be in the playoffs at 8-8-1 if that were to happen? My answer to that is, once you get into the playoffs everyone is 0-0 and if we win the division we will be crowned AFC South Champs = we would get a home game. Getting a home game gives a team 50/50 chance in the 1st playoff game no matter our record. I remember when Seattle won the West at 7-9 in 2010 and got a home game vs the Saints. They smoked the Saints who were the SB Champs. 

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

KC is the 2nd best team in the league IMO, so all signs would show they should blow us out lmao . I don't see it. I think we come out and play balls out, just a feeling I have and pull the upset. 

Welcome back man! Nice seeing some optimism back in here. Long way to go. Never know what can happen. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I’m happy you stayed around, but please don’t start the ‘true fan’ nonsense. Everyone here is a fan. 

Fans are frustrated and venting. We’re 6 years into a rebuild that has gotten us nowhere. Is the season over? Not at all, but we’re seeing all the same patterns we’ve been seeing for years now, and odds are the outcome will be the same.

The average GM gets around 5-6 years, so fans saying ‘enough’ is neither unnecessary nor an overreaction. 

3 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

Why does anyone want to sneak into the playoffs (because the rest of the bad division is somehow weaker than this team) just to get beat in the first game.....yet again? 

Just for us to pick at #17 or wherever, then Ballard trade the pick for more 2nd rounders? 

Because once you get into the playoffs anything can happen. Everyone is 0-0. The Giants won the SB at 9-7 by beating the Pats in 2011. In 1995 we should've been in the SB at 9-7. I would rather make the playoffs and have fun watching this team doing so than tank, that is just me. By your logic, you would've never been able to enjoy our 1995 team when we at one point almost had no chance to make the playoffs.

6 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I’m happy you stayed around, but please don’t start the ‘true fan’ nonsense. Everyone here is a fan. 

Fans are frustrated and venting. We’re 6 years into a rebuild than has gotten us nowhere. Is the season over? Not at all, but we’re seeing all the same patterns we’ve been seeing for years now, and odds are the outcome will be the same.

The average GM gets around 5-6 years, so fans saying ‘enough’ is neither unnecessary nor an overreaction. 

No problem with that but after reading many of the threads, many people were burying this team. I am very disappointed at the way we played Sunday as well but the season isn't over. OK we are lucky because we play in a crap division but I still think we can become a better team too.

Just now, chad72 said:

JT is our key to winning, our OL should block out of their minds to keep the game close if we need to stay in it. Even if we are down by a TD, I hope we do not abandon the run with JT.

I am picking the upset but in order to do that JT needs have a game like he had against the Pats last season, He is due. We also need to create turnovers on D something we have not done in the 1st 2 games. If Leonard plays I will feel really good about our D.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am picking the upset but in order to do that JT needs have a game like he had against the Pats last season, He is due. We also need to create turnovers on D something we have not done in the 1st 2 games. If Leonard plays I will feel really good about our D.

Yes, the key is for the D to keep the game from getting out of hand. The Colts team even with Ryan is not built for a shootout, IMO over 4 quarters. Very few teams are against the Chiefs. To be honest, even if we lose to the Chiefs, if we go 4-1 over the next 5 after that, winning all division games vs Titans and Jaguars, I feel we will be sitting pretty at 4-4-1. 

Anyways, 1 game at a time. :) 

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Yes, the key is for the D to keep the game from getting out of hand. The Colts team even with Ryan is not built for a shootout, IMO over 4 quarters. Very few teams are against the Chiefs.

I think Matt can keep up with several QB's but we are talking Mahomes so ball control and getting a couple of turnovers is the key for me. Man I hope Leonard plays, that would be a huge spark!

26 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Because once you get into the playoffs anything can happen. Everyone is 0-0. The Giants won the SB at 9-7 by beating the Pats in 2011. In 1995 we should've been in the SB at 9-7. I would rather make the playoffs and have fun watching this team doing so than tank, that is just me. By your logic, you would've never been able to enjoy our 1995 team when we at one point almost had no chance to make the playoffs.

The issue is that it looks like the bad team that finished the season is the team that we really are.  We struck lightning mid season last year with JT, but Its doubtful that will repeat itself with no meaningful additions to the arsenal.

The roster today is arguably worse than last year, not necessarily by having different personnel alone but by play...The RT position is worse than last year, even though its the same player.  And then there is the different personnel part too.

The silver lining is that the Colts never play well against JAX, and the fact that both starting WRs were out of the game can make such a poor performance an aberration.

As fans, we can have hope. 

Personally, I am not on the record for firing anyone.  I like to give people a chance to learn from their mistakes...the next guy will probably make some too, so its lucky if a change in the FO results in meaningful immediate progress.  But what bothers me is that many of us were pointing out what looks like some fundamental vision issues with philosophy, both with the GM and the HC, and that type of thing is harder to fix.

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The issue is that it looks like the bad team that finished the season is the team that we really are.  We struck lightning mid season last year with JT, but Its doubtful that will repeat itself with no meaningful additions to the arsenal.

The roster today is arguably worse than last year, not necessarily by having different personnel alone but by play...The RT position is worse than last year, even though its the same player.  And then there is the different personnel part too.

The silver lining is that the Colts never play well against JAX, and the fact that both starting WRs were out of the game can make such a poor performance an aberration.

As fans, we can have hope. 

Personally, I am not on the record for firing anyone.  I like to give people a chance to learn from their mistakes...the next guy will probably make some too, so its lucky if a change in the FO results in meaningful results.  But what bothers me is that many of us were pointing out what looks like some fundamental vision issues with philosophy, both with the GM and the HC, and that type of thing is harder to fix.

I am very disappointed in the start, at least it isn't 0-2 like the Titans. I think Matt is better than Wentz and we can still catch fire if JT's 2021 season wasn't a fluke which I don't think it was. Our WR room is average at best so that will prevent us from doing some things. I wanted TY Hilton back and now people know why. Patmon, Strachan, Dulin, and Campbell just haven't cut it. TY is better than all those guys but Ballard won't wake up and see it. I love Pittman and I think Pierce has good potential. 

47 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Some will ask me, why would you want to even be in the playoffs at 8-8-1 if that were to happen? My answer to that is, once you get into the playoffs everyone is 0-0 and if we win the division we will be crowned AFC South Champs = we would get a home game. Getting a home game gives a team 50/50 chance in the 1st playoff game no matter our record. I remember when Seattle won the West at 7-9 in 2010 and got a home game vs the Saints. They smoked the Saints who were the SB Champs. 

I will just go back to my earlier post. I remember Seattle at 7-9 got in and ripped the Saints a new one. Football is an emotional sport, I even lost my cool in here last week. That loss bothered me the last 3 days because I picked us to go 11-6 and cruise to a division title. I have watched football for 45 years and to me on paper, I thought we looked better on paper compared to last year. I may end up being wrong but then again I may be right. I would be shocked if we flat out sucked and went something like 6-10-1 lmao . I am wrong sometimes but usually not way off the map haha 

17 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am very disappointed in the start, at least it isn't 0-2 like the Titans. I think Matt is better than Wentz and we can still catch fire if JT's 2021 season wasn't a fluke which I don't think it was. Our WR room is average at best so that will prevent us from doing some things. I wanted TY Hilton back and now people know why. Patmon, Strachan, Dulin, and Campbell just haven't cut it. TY is better than all those guys but Ballard won't wake up and see it. I love Pittman and I think Pierce has good potential. 

There were some fundamental changes towards the end of last season that were troubling.  Defenses were winning the battle with our O.   JAX, LAR, AZ...and even NE.  Remember NE, we were basically losing the second half and were going to lose the game.  Nothing was working on O and Frank took the ball out of Wentz' hands because of terrible throws made in our horrible passing game.  We were trying to simply run down the clock when Fisher made a great block and sprung JT.  That was kinda lucky.  The entire second half showed who we are...and that was before the three last games of the season.  Wentz carried us in AZ by several individual plays.  As a team, we stunk.

We will be a better passing team than we were last week when AP and Pitt return...WRs matter...that's why the good ones are drafted high.  But TY is not the elixir this year.

Winning the Division because the other teams in it suck is sort of like kissing your sister.  It doesn't spark enthusiasm or provide motivation

9 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Winning the Division because the other teams in it suck is sort of like kissing your sister.  It doesn't spark enthusiasm or provide motivation

It would still get our foot inside the door and what we do with it from there is up to us with everyone starting at 0-0 then. Remember the 8-8 Chargers kicking our 12-4 butts in San Diego?? Yes, winning a lousy division with a lousy record is MUCH better than having no chance in the playoffs at all.

17 minutes ago, DougDew said:

There were some fundamental changes towards the end of last season that were troubling.  Defenses were winning the battle with our O.   JAX, LAR, AZ...and even NE.  Remember NE, we were basically losing the second half and were going to lose the game.  Nothing was working on O and Frank took the ball out of Wentz' hands because of terrible throws made in our horrible passing game.  We were trying to simply run down the clock when Fisher made a great block and sprung JT.  That was kinda lucky.  The entire second half showed who we are...and that was before the three last games of the season.  Wentz carried us in AZ by several individual plays.  As a team, we stunk.

We will be a better passing team than we were last week when AP and Pitt return...WRs matter...that's why the good ones are drafted high.  But TY is not the elixir this year.

I relate it to kissing an Ex GF which isn't gross at least but still isn't real sparkling but that gives you a punchers a chance in the playoffstickling homer simpson GIF- we haven't won the South since 2014, so I at least want to see that. I think we have the QB and players to do it but the 1st 2 weeks have been shaky, last week was beyond bad. I could only imagine how Irsay felt after last Sunday = Angry Parks And Recreation GIF by PeacockTV

Archived