Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Matt Ryan had the 2nd highest average time to throw week 2

runthepost

36 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think he is expected to make the layups.  And see other receivers open along with being less excitable and erratic.  Do stuff that the Warner Video showed Wentz didn't do.  Maybe Warner will break down this JAX game.

He's not going to really change the O much.  If the QB is waiting for intermediate/long patterns to develop, they aren't going to develop any more this year than they did last year.  That's the issue.  But he should locate the dump off quicker than Wentz, who completely ignored it.

Yeah, Rivers was good for the O.

Rivers was exactly the type of quick read/quick release QB that Wentz and Ryan are not. 

1 hour ago, Blueblazes said:

Looked like this on most drop backs. No real change for Ryan vs. his career. If everything works right, he's good, if not, it's a different story.

Ryan was solded a bill of goods by the colts to come here. Ryan knows he needs an 1st  a good OL    2.  More then 1 good receiver.  He wasnt expecting what he has now.  This team needs a good running QB.

59 minutes ago, TheShadow said:

Ryan was solded a bill of goods by the colts to come here. Ryan knows he needs an 1st  a good OL    2.  More then 1 good receiver.  He wasnt expecting what he has now.  This team needs a good running QB.

Ryan was not coveted by anyone.  He's old and has always had multiple superstar pass catchers his entire career.

We were likely among few takers for the dude. 

I still think we will play well occasionally, but we'd be better off with Wentz with the mobility, but the inevitable teardown, rebuild has been stunted once again by the Ryan and Wentz acquisitions. 

13 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Ryan was not coveted by anyone.  He's old and has always had multiple superstar pass catchers his entire career.

I still think we will play well occasionally, but we'd be better off with Wentz with the mobility, but the inevitable teardown, rebuild has been stunted once again by the Ryan and Wentz acquisitions. 

move on, wentz is gone. 

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

It wasn't intended to take a cheap shot or even about Luck.  My comment was relevant to this TTT thread.  Context to help remember how Luck played relative to the TTT stat, which contributes to QB injuries.  It also goes back to west coast bootleg types of Os too, where the QB was exposed to the OLBs/SSs and the TTT stat was undoubtedly high.

Waiting for the pattern to develop.  Waiting to get injured.  It doesn't apply just to Luck, but he was the best example of it for the Colts the past 20 years.  Wentz too, but he didn't get significantly injured because of it...with the Colts.

With the West Coast offense, the ball comes out fast.   That’s more of what Luck ran at Stanford.   It’s the opposite of what Arians and Pep and Chudzinski ran for the Colts.  Pagano liked the big chunk offense.   That all changed when Reich arrived. 

In 2016,  Luck’s last year in the big play chunk offense, his TTT was 2.88.   It was one of the slowest in the NFL that year.  In 2018,  Reich’s first year, Luck’s TTT dropped to 2.62, one of the fastest.   An improvement of .26.   That’s a very large change in the approach to the offense.   People like @Superman and myself and others used to say that was the offense Luck should have been running the day he arrived.   We might have enjoyed an entirely different arc to his career. 

42 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

With the West Coast offense, the ball comes out fast.   That’s more of what Luck ran at Stanford.   It’s the opposite of what Arians and Pep and Chudzinski ran for the Colts.  Pagano liked the big chunk offense.   That all changed when Reich arrived. 

In 2016,  Luck’s last year in the big play chunk offense, his TTT was 2.88.   It was one of the slowest in the NFL that year.  In 2018,  Reich’s first year, Luck’s TTT dropped to 2.62, one of the fastest.   An improvement of .26.   That’s a very large change in the approach to the offense.   People like @Superman and myself and others used to say that was the offense Luck should have been running the day he arrived.   We might have enjoyed an entirely different arc to his career. 

Yes I remember that, and I said it too.

Just a clarity.  My idea of the WC offense is what was described as Bill Walsh's style...San Francisco.....west coast..  He selected Joe Montana specifically because he was mobile, and having the idea of either him rolling out of the pocket or having the pocket sliding with him a bit.  Just those amount of extra steps to run sideways creates a higher snap to release time over the course of a season...and that is not a bad thing necessarily.  Also, Walsh designed the sideways running because Montana was short, opening up passing lanes.  Then came Steve Young.

It takes athletic olinemen to slide the pocket, which is why SF was thought more of a finesse team back in the day of smash mouth football.

I don't think Luck ever ran that type of "WC" offense at Stanford.  I thought it was more traditional play action, with power running behind a big Oline.   But I have recently heard the WC offense being described as something different than what I think of it, so maybe it refers to a different offense now than what I learned back in the day.

As you said.  Reich improved Lick's snap tp release.  That's how the O is supposed to work.  But it didn't work that way under Wentz, and its not working that way so far under Ryan.  So something else is going on, but its not the HC, IMO.

46 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Arians has had a lot of success with down field passing.  You might be right about Luck, but everyone knows now his real problems started on the boarding slopes. 

Imagine you're a QB dropping back.  You have a couple seconds to dish that ball at this level, and your reads run let's say left to right on the snap.  First read has a DB on him.  So does the second.  Third guy yep him too.  At that point the rush is close and the play is probably 90% a negative result.

Now some QBs from there can make chicken salad out of the chicken bleep he's dealing with.  But obviously an old pocket QB like Ryan is not going to do that.  It was the same problem he had in Atlanta, where he was terrible once he had to move.  Get him to move and the play is a win for the defense.  This is why he was available.

So we have a situation now where all this hype was put into the QB and a deflating effect when it becomes obvious he's not an elite QB.  And going forward if we don't have the rookie wideout teams will sit on his best option and feast.

My problem right now with the GM is that we have been discussing the weakness of this wideout group for some time.  It was clearly a problem just from looking at the depth chart and all it took was an injury to the rook to bring things out.  And what is Ballard doing about it?  Well he appears to be doubling down on Frank making some chicken salad.  And that my friends is an enormous mistake.  What he should be doing is finding Frank a wideout.  That's how you relieve pressure on the coach and QB.

Now we have Frank waxing poetic on how close they are.  Well maybe vs some defenses they will be able to find a way.  But what do you think happens vs a good defense or a legit playoff squad coming to town.  And maybe they start to find their stride if they can get the rook back and healthy and he plays well.  But depth is still a problem in that room.

There are times where a coach can undermine his own chances of winning by being stoic.  Frank is a stoic kind of guy.  He's going to try to shoulder it all and he'll exit with grace when he ends up eating the blame.  But for me I am irritated with Ballard right now for not at least trying to get someone in here to help.  Now is the time for flipping rocks and digging deep to find answers not sitting back and letting your coach burn.

11 hours ago, jbaron04 said:

Also Ballard has been killing us with the drafts and resigns, At this point every single player that colts have given a contract to has declined sharply or flat out haven’t preformed out side of Grover. The drafts have been filled with projects and projection which is why we keep missing on guys. When ever we draft a guy that has proven college tape and success they have panned out , Pittman , Taylor etc… When ever he draft a guy and expect them to double and triple they college production they normally bust , long list of DEs on team. Like these guy get 3 sacks in college and Ballard expect them to come in and be double digit guys is laughable lol. It’s like a Wr who doesn’t get separation in college but they expect them to come in against NFL corners and get open which is why all out guys be blanketed on most routes 

Again, scheme. Our D players leave, and play better for other teams.

2 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

We all was completely shocked with who the colts brought in for d coordinator interviews and went with Bradley , when it was young more innovative minds in the pool

I prefer aggressive. More stunts, blitzes, man, etc..  Not crazy aggressive, but a little more average.

We picked a guy who was similar like Flus (low blitz), but at least better pressure rate%....big difference is C3 secondary (and we have a poor FS)... 

Regardless, it's painfully clear that Reich prefers conservative/bending....  than aggressive. Both D and O... 

9 hours ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

matt ran for his life for 3 seconds almost every pass play

There should be TTT from the pocket stat.  People are acting like it wasn’t a jailbreak on almost every play.  The ole facts and interpretations of facts bugaboo.

the highest earning oline in the game was manhandled once again.

On 9/21/2022 at 11:42 AM, Nickster said:

Bingo. Spot on.

Just the facts. Matt Ryan's average rank among 32 starting QB's during his career is 13th in the NFL. Drop his best year and his worst year to try for a consistent average ranking and it's 13.3 out of 32 starting QBs. This is slightly above average if average would be ranking 14-18. Sure he has a lot of passing yards in his career but if you really know football, you know if you throw a lot you get more yards lol. His average per attempt is 7.5 which is very acceptable but average. Short story is, it's not Matt's fault that we expected a great QB instead of a very average QB at this point in his career. We may not have good receivers or a an Oline but there are excuses all over the field for 1 TD, 4 INTs and 4 fumbles. 

Archived