Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Simple Question...

indyagent17

If you're talking about the last series we had the ball with about a minute left, it's because it was statistically impossible for us to win at that point. Why risk injury just to get a garbage time FG or TD that means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of the game?

What if they marched down the field and ran one in for a TD, but JT tears an ACL? This forum would have exploded talking about how irresponsible and ridiculous it was that we even tried to score a meaningless TD.

If it's a one-score game, we absolutely go for it, but yesterday it made no sense at all.

39 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

In the aftermath of the embarrassing * yesterday. I was wondering the following

We had the ball in decent field position but we just ran the clock out, We were being shutout so why just give up like that? 

I wondered why he went for it on a borderline impossible 4th and goal early in the 4th quarter. 

We were down 24-0 at the time. We were never gonna score 3 TDs and convert 3 2pt conversions. So we were essentially down 4 scores. Get the 3, end the shut out and just go from there. The only way we had a chance at that point was to get a few turnovers or a turnover and a big special teams play.

So why basically dig the hole even deeper vs. making a little progress? We had no shot there and everyone knew it. These are the kinds of coaching decisions that make absolutely no sense to me and I feel like can be demoralizing to the players and fans. It made a bad situation, even worse. Not only that, I believe Matt Ryan took a big hit on the play. 

36 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

We had the ball in decent field position but we just ran the clock out, We were being shutout so why just give up like that? 

To avoid injuries when the game was clearly over.  

11 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

I wondered why he went for it on a birderline impossible 4th and goal early in the 4th quarter. 

We were down 24-0 at the time. We were never gonna score 3 TDs and convert 3 2pt conversions. So we were essentially down 4 scores. Get the 3, end the shut out and just go from there. The only way we had a chance at that point was to get a few turnovers or a turnover and a big special teams play.

So why basically dig the hole even deeper vs. making a little progress? We had no shot there and everyone knew it. These are the kinds of coaching decisions that make absolutely no sense to me and I feel like can be demoralizing to the players and fans. It made a bad situation, even worse. Not only that, I believe Matt Ryan took a big hit on the play. 

Play To Win New York Jets GIF

You score 8 there, you are two scores down.  

Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

Remember Jim ends up with this chick I think.

If you watched the other games on Sunday there were at least 2 or 3 3 score 4th Q comebacks. Plus we did it the week before.  Who knows you get 8 there, get a TO or 2 and out then its possible.

To me taking the "moral victory" of FG more embarrassing than a Goose egg.   Moral Victories are for willow trees.

12 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Play To Win New York Jets GIF

You score 8 there, you are two scores down.  

Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

Remember Jim ends up with this chick I think.

If you watched the other games on Sunday there were at least 2 or 3 3 score 4th Q comebacks. Plus we did it the week before.  Who knows you get 8 there, get a TO or 2 and out then its possible.

To me taking the "moral victory" of FG more embarrassing than a Goose egg. 

But that doesnt change the fact that it was an incredibly low percentage play and at that point you have a better chance by ACTUALLY SCORING POINTS and cutting into the deficit vs. not scoring points and having yet another, demoralizing failure. 

You dont take the FG as a moral victory you take it because its actually your best chance.

Yes I watched the games on Sunday the Jets scored 14 points in a minute and some change, which suggests there was plenty of time left and there was no need to take that risk either. We needed a string of miracles either way. 

The Colts once scored 21 points in like 2 and a half minutes lol

We still had a chance with a 21 point deficit and plenty of time left. Take the points and keep playing. Instead he gambled again, lost again and the game was for sure over at that point. 

7 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Foles did not play yesterday. Ryan can still chuck it, just not for a 60+ yard bomb which some people think is required to not have a dead arm. Hell, he overthrew Patmon yesterday on a deep route. 

does not really matter but foles took the last series of snaps

9 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Foles did not play yesterday. Ryan can still chuck it, just not for a 60+ yard bomb which some people think is required to not have a dead arm. Hell, he overthrew Patmon yesterday on a deep route. 

I thought he handed a few off to Jackson. 

1 hour ago, indyagent17 said:

The way the jags was playing frank knew it was gonna end bad , with a turn over 

9 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

But that doesnt change the fact that it was an incredibly low percentage play and at that point you have a better chance by ACTUALLY SCORING POINTS and cutting into the deficit vs. not scoring points and having yet another, demoralizing failure. 

You dont take the FG as a moral victory you take it because its actually your best chance.

Yes I watched the games on Sunday the Jets scored 14 points in a minute and some change, which suggests there was plenty of time left and there was no need to take that risk either. We needed a string of miracles either way. 

The Colts once scored 21 points in like 2 and a half minutes lol

We still had a chance with a 21 point deficit and plenty of time left. Take the points and keep playing. Instead he gambled again, lost again and the game was for sure over at that point. 

Meh,  a FG you have to score 3 times still While a TD you only need the ball twice more theoretically. 

18 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Foles played the very last series that they are talking about in this thread.

39 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

I wondered why he went for it on a borderline impossible 4th and goal early in the 4th quarter. 

Going for 3 in that situation only prevents a shutout, but is effectively ending any chance you had at any sort of comeback. Would us scoring 3 points made you feel any different about the game yesterday?

Personally, I would have been livid if we took 3 points at that point in the game. You go for it every time.

7 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Meh,  a FG you have to score 3 times still While a TD you only need the ball twice more theoretically. 

Better chance I agree, if you convert. 

I just didnt think they had a chance in hell of converting.

I couldnt believe he still trotted out the starters after that. Game was over.

Just now, Shive said:

Going for 3 in that situation only prevents a shutout, but is effectively ending any chance you had at any sort of comeback. Would us scoring 3 points made you feel any different about the game yesterday?

Personally, I would have been livid if we took 3 points at that point in the game. You go for it every time.

I just told you. Because scoring points is better than not scoring points and there was no way they were actually scoring a TD there.

1 minute ago, Shive said:

Yeah to me kicking there is more about trying to save face and is more offensive than getting shut out.  

I will say Ryan and the starters should have been pulled after that series because it was clearly over and they were just going to tee off on Ryan the rest of the game which is what they did.

1 minute ago, Shive said:

Doesnt failing to score on that play also end your chances? Did you think it was gonna work?

21 point deficit with 10 minutes left? Ive seen that before so no I didnt view it as ending their chances by getting a FG.

I wasnt even thinking of it as ending a shut out. I just thought it was a better decision.

9 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

Doesnt failing to score on that play also end your chances? Did you think it was gonna work?

21 point deficit with 10 minutes left? Ive seen that before so no I didnt view it as ending their chances by getting a FG.

I wasnt even thinking of it as ending a shut out. I just thought it was a better decision.

At that point Frank basically had to make a choice.  Kick the field goal and hope they get three more positions in a game where your defense had been struggling to get them off the field all day and your offense had been struggling to sustain a drive all day with about 10 minutes left or hope you can score three TDs and hit three two point conversions.  Neither is a good choice.  I don’t look at either of those options and go man one was obviously the better choice so he should have done that.  I think they are both equally desperate options at that point in the game.  

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Probably because all he did was two handoffs.  He’s not going to show up on the stat line.

They still usually have a game played/game started line for anyone that even steps on the field. Maybe I just stopped actually paying attention after the final turnover.

4 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

They still usually have a game played/game started line for anyone that even steps on the field. Maybe I just stopped actually paying attention after the final turnover.

Yeah him and the backups all played that last series.  Two handoffs to Jackson and everyone went home.

4 hours ago, Shive said:

If you're talking about the last series we had the ball with about a minute left, it's because it was statistically impossible for us to win at that point. Why risk injury just to get a garbage time FG or TD that means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of the game?

What if they marched down the field and ran one in for a TD, but JT tears an ACL? This forum would have exploded talking about how irresponsible and ridiculous it was that we even tried to score a meaningless TD.

If it's a one-score game, we absolutely go for it, but yesterday it made no sense at all.

The kneeling on the ball would’ve made more sense with your theory

4 hours ago, Shive said:

I never talked about three points I thought about going for a touchdown there was time on the clock but we decided to run the ball a few times. I know we were down 24 points but it sure seems like we gave up instead of trying to make a few plays at the end

3 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

We pulled all of our starters and ran the ball twice to run out the clock. We effectively kneeled it.

I never talked about three points I thought about going for a touchdown there was time on the clock but we decided to run the ball a few times. I know we were down 24 points but it sure seems like we gave up instead of trying to make a few plays at the end

This was a response to another poster about a earlier drive, not the last possession that you're talking about.

They basically did that just with two run plays with all back ups.  Rather it was just two weak runs or kneeling it’s the same effect.  Getting the game over and going home to try to figure things out.  The Colts have much bigger issues from that game than two give up plays at the end of the game.

Archived