Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How to fix the oline

CR91

Pryor is a G trying to play T and imo is not working. Pinter is a C that can not play G full time. I suggest putting Raiiman at LT and Pryor at RG. Yes you'll have growing pains with Raiiman, but I feel like Pryor is better served inside where he's not gonna deal with speed rushers. This would also give Matt some more time to step up.

Just now, CR91 said:

Pryor is a G trying to play T and imo is not working. Pinter is a C that can not play G full time. I suggest putting Raiiman at LT and Pryor at RG. Yes you'll have growing pains with Raiiman, but I feel like Pryor is better served inside where he's not gonna deal with speed rushers. This would also give Matt some more time to step up.

Absolutely put the rookie in at LT. One of the steals of the draft.  

3 minutes ago, CR91 said:

They should do something. But will they? I don't know... 

Reich's comments were that they're not as far from other teams to being competitive. Does that mean they're fine with what they've seen so far from the line? I guess we'll see... 

8 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I was just about to post the same suggestion.  This is the exact move I would make.

Some other moves that could help

-Bench Kenny for Rodgers. I'm sorry, but Kenny has been absolute garbage since the Raiders game and it's continued since.

-Give Dayo more snaps. I don't know what Dayo did to be in the doghouse, but he's hardly seen the field.

-Hines needs to be on the field at all times. I don't care if it's in a two back set or in the slot. Hines needs to be used more and I'm tired of repeating that.

41 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I could go for this.  Raimann will probably get roasted on the edge, too.  But the team stands to gain more from Raimann’s struggles than Pryor’s.

Pinter is not a starting Guard, and Pryor is not a starting LT, how the coaching staff could not see this, especially with Pinter who cant get to the second level and is slow pulling, is on them. If the coaches went to Ballard early on and said this wont work, and he just said lets see, it on him too. With weakness on both sides of the line, having elite speed backs that should be running to the outside alot more than they do, is out the window when the line cant vacate a gap to pull being weak on both sides.

35 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

if we do not make the playoffs. Reich will most likely be fired. If we are in the top 10 of the draft. Irsay may let him and Ballard go

I agree. If we’re drafting high enough to attract a quality HC and GM I think Ballard goes too. 

5 minutes ago, Lifetime Colt said:

Pinter is not a starting Guard, and Pryor is not a starting LT, how the coaching staff could not see this, especially with Pinter who cant get to the second level and is slow pulling, is on them. If the coaches went to Ballard early on and said this wont work, and he just said lets see, it on him too. With weakness on both sides of the line, having elite speed backs that should be running to the outside alot more than they do, is out the window when the line cant vacate a gap to pull being weak on both sides.

I don’t understand how Pinter could be so slow. He ran a 4.91 in the combine, which is terrific for an OL.

23 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Some other moves that could help

-Bench Kenny for Rodgers. I'm sorry, but Kenny has been absolute garbage since the Raiders game and it's continued since.

-Give Dayo more snaps. I don't know what Dayo did to be in the doghouse, but he's hardly seen the field.

-Hines needs to be on the field at all times. I don't care if it's in a two back set or in the slot. Hines needs to be used more and I'm tired of repeating that.

1 - Agree

2 - Dayo is behind our overpayed 3T and Grover who’s been our best Dlineman by far this season. 
3 - Frank just isn’t very creative. His playcalling belongs in the ‘80s. 

4 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

1 - Agree

2 - Dayo is behind our overpayed 3T and Grover who’s been our best Dlineman by far this season. 
3 - Frank just isn’t very creative. His playcalling belongs in the ‘80s. 

And yet Cowart is seeing plenty of snaps. Hell I've been seen Eric Johnson get snaps before Dayo.

I don’t understand how Pinter could be so slow. He ran a 4.91 in the combine, which is terrific for an OL.

He plays tentative, not great burst, agility. From what I have seen TC and first 2 games, he is late getting to the edge. 

It’s really baffling to me how Glowinski is now the second good OL we had that departed and we seemed to have no answer for. It happens at other positions too, but I don’t get why there never seems to be a legitimate answer for replacements on the OL. First Castonzo and now Glow. 

I agree with Putting Raiman at LT. RG should be an open competition as should RT. 

So much of line play has to do with the 5 playing together with good coordination.  Handling the stunts, the twists and A and B gap threats from rushers.  Adjusting from the call intelligently in real time because you know what the man next to you can handle.  For me when I look at this unit they seem like a bunch of individuals doing their own thing.  But there is too much talent on this line for that to continue.  I have to think they will improve.

What they really need is another wideout.  Get these guys winning early reads at least occasionally to help the QB out.  Do that and things should improve quickly because the run game is there.

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

Lombardi called the Colts the fraud team . Says Ryan is getting the crap kicked out of him. For all of u Ballard apologists look no farther than the Oline. It was suppose to our strength and is a weakness. For that Ballard should be gone. He said theycwere never in the Jags game.

3 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

For all of u Ballard apologists

Doubt there's too many people like that left this week. I guess if he** freezes over and we beat, say, the Chiefs, Patriots and Steelers maybe we'll cool on Ballard? 

I'm definitely more skeptical of the entire team this year... At the same time I worry what happens if Chris goes to a different team and suddenly they're world beaters. We seem like a cursed team where players and coaches leave and get their revenge on... 

1 minute ago, lollygagger8 said:

Since they can't pass block, might as well go with heavy Run formations and put Raimann in as another lineman.

JT only getting 9 touches last game is atrocious 

Jags stacked the box and played with the lead forever. 

Not that this is oline, but if you want to improve the run blocking ...trade Granson for a real H-Back.  Maybe somebody who could lead block when Hines is in the backfield.   Motion them around.

Could move from a running-play  I-formation to nobody in the backfield at all and pass out of it.  Or slide the Hback to the TE spot.  3 different formations and three different types of plays when Hines spells JT.

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

They should do something. But will they? I don't know... 

Reich's comments were that they're not as far from other teams to being competitive. Does that mean they're fine with what they've seen so far from the line? I guess we'll see... 

ballard needs to do something before all 3 of our qb guys are injured

Just now, PRnum1 said:

Kelly and Smith have been horrid.

I understand criticizing Matt Ryan, but you have to give him a fighting chance.

Well golly, since this transformation of this line took place with the addition of Nelson and Smith, lets not forget that Kelly and Smith have been playing with Glow next to them all of these years too.  Not saying anything, just an observation.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Well golly, since this transformation of this line took place with the addition of Nelson and Smith, lets not forget that Kelly and Smith have been playing with Glow next to them all of these years too.  Not saying anything, just an observation.

You're not saying anything, you're just sayin'.

home alone wink GIF

6 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Lombardi called the Colts the fraud team . Says Ryan is getting the crap kicked out of him. For all of u Ballard apologists look no farther than the Oline. It was suppose to our strength and is a weakness. For that Ballard should be gone. He said theycwere never in the Jags game.

Lombardi has great connections to certain coaching and front office circles but he is not as smart as he thinks he is.  Personally I think he's a smug * who enjoys kicking guys he is jealous of when they're down.

The book on Ryan was known.  Ballard was well aware of the fact he requires good protection.  And the pieces are there on the OL.  There is enough quality there on the roster so they will get the OL play turned around.

It is early and there is time.  The good teams start to hit their strides around game six or so.  Still room for the Colts to be a good team, though they are going to need Pierce.  The depth at wideout is ugly and without the rook they are simply not good enough.  And that is definitely on Chris.

56 minutes ago, CR91 said:

And yet Cowart is seeing plenty of snaps. Hell I've been seen Eric Johnson get snaps before Dayo.

I know this is an unpopular opinion but I don’t think Dayo is very good. I’ve somewhat followed him since Vanderbilt(I’m a Vols fan) and never understood the hype. In my opinion(which doesn’t mean much), he is another traitsy DL pick by Ballard that will probably never live up to his draft spot. He gets beat at the point of attack a lot and has trouble staying on his feet bc he gets pushed around after being beat. I see his ceiling as a good rotational backup. Maybe he becomes an average starter the can replace Buckner bc I don’t see him being on the roster next year either.  Too much money for very little production. Good player being paid like he is great. 

57 minutes ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

I'd trade Q for a LT now.  I would redeploy assets properly.  I would trade Q to a team with draft picks.  Call the Jets or Giants and see if you can get some of their young tackles.  

glow is doing well in NY

There is one team in the league that would be willing to pay a guard $20M per year, and it's the Colts. Nelson is not a tradeable asset. 

4 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I know this is an unpopular opinion but I don’t think Dayo is very good. I’ve somewhat followed him since Vanderbilt(I’m a Vols fan) and never understood the hype. In my opinion(which doesn’t mean much), he is another traitsy DL pick by Ballard that will probably never live up to his draft spot. He gets beat at the point of attack a lot and has trouble staying on his feet bc he gets pushed around after being beat. I see his ceiling as a good rotational backup. Maybe he becomes an average starter the can replace Buckner bc I don’t see him being on the roster next year either.  Too much money for very little production. Good player being paid like he is great. 

two more ballard fumbles

I suggested this same change in an earlier post. I think Smith is looking so bad because Pinter is bad. He's not big enough to play guard in the NFL. He weighs 305. That's light for a tackle, but probably 20-25 pounds light for a guard. Let him be the backup center, play Raimann at LT and put Pryor in at RG. That would shore up the right side of the line, probably improve the running game and we'll sink or swim with the rookie on the left side. Pryor is not the answer at LT.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Raimann, Nelson, Kelly, Smith, Pryor.  Let Q help Raimann since Q is supposedly that good.

this is close to what i have been calling for since i notice problems during the preseason games with our starting unit getting beat by the other teams 2nd string Dline

Archived