Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should Colts Think About A New Defensive Shceme

natelombardi

natelombardi - expand on why you think the Colts should consider a new defensive scheme. When you just post up a question for the sake of posting a question, it doesn't get a lot of responses and won't end in a good discussion. You could try something like "We have been using the same scheme for many years and our defense doesn't usually rank very high. Maybe we should consider changing from Tampa 2 to ______. The new defensive scheme would be better because _________." Providing some stats also wouldn't hurt.

natelombardi - expand on why you think the Colts should consider a new defensive scheme. When you just post up a question for the sake of posting a question, it doesn't get a lot of responses and won't end in a good discussion. You could try something like "We have been using the same scheme for many years and our defense doesn't usually rank very high. Maybe we should consider changing from Tampa 2 to ______. The new defensive scheme would be better because _________." Providing some stats also wouldn't hurt.

Yep, and adding who on the present roster fits the new scheme, and what positions need to be turned over, so we would have interest in Pat Williams.

I think the new defensive scheme should be called the Colt 45's. Just because I like the name of it. Also when the opposing offense tries to move the ball we just shoot them down like shooting fish in a barrell.

Who plays the two DB spots in that defense?

Powers & Bethea?

Name the 5 linebackers.

jk

Its a good idea to have at least a LITTLE knowledge about the game before making statements like this.

Kinda like saying we should have got Namdi Asomgua, or saying we should trade Manning so we can afford "better" players in other positions.

It just makes people have NOrespect for your post.

Either you are really new (I can't say dumb as that's an attack) or it trolling, but their really ain't no reason for a troll in colts forums.

It just the typical bandwagoner me thinks, but no.. No need change. Manning old... Years few.... Time Precious.. Players Can't ( grunt)

just slight adjustments like, on some third downs we should press the recievers instead of giving them 5-10 yards off the line, and secondly just a few more blitzes and run stunts

WHAT????? And not give the offense an easy first down on a simple out route or slant? Preposterous!

A complete overhaul of the scheme would waste the last few years of Manning playing at an elite level. Changing the scheme will mean changing the players which will set the defense back a few seasons. Do we really want to waste the last few years of Manning being at an elite level?

A little tweaks like what RC suggested would go a long way though.

just slight adjustments, on some third downs our corners should be a tad bit closer to the recievers instead of giving them 5-10 yards off the line, and secondly just a few more blitzes and run stunts. Nothing to major

It's very possible the tighter coverage issue is already being addressed.

If I'm not mistaken, we seem to be drafting DBs more adept at man coverage the last year or so.

At least that's my recollection without doing a lot of research.

I think the Colts defensive style can work, but it needs the right personal. Obviously the biggest problem has been stopping the run up the middle. This mainly lies on the shoulders of the DT position,especially with the DEs going for the blizt, and partly with the LBs as well for a second chance defense. Hopefully Tommy Harris can stay healthy, because he can be a huge benefit for this team in this area as he was with the Bears. Unfortunately in the last ten years this team hasn't had good luck with the position, either not having the right personal or injury problems. It would also help if the linebackers position was upgraded or someone can step up. I really was hoping that Session was going to be that player, unfortunately he couldn't stay healthy because he had some good games last year. This defense with a Ray Lewis or Brian Urlacher at MLB would easily be a top defense in this league. Obviously they are not coming to the Colts and at this point they are getting too old. But it would be nice if this team would use a first round pick for a top linebacker.

I think the Colts defensive style can work, but it needs the right personal.

This really is the issue. The Colts have gone to the Superbowl twice in just a few years and had a chance to win the 2nd won. It didn't work out, but the defense is doing ok - not great. Last year there were guys who were starters by mid season that started the year on the couch. With fewer injuries this defense isn't that bad. This will never be a Ravens type defense - but how many Superbowls have they been to in the last 6 years.

Some better NT play, solid LB play and a little more consistency on the corners and this defense will do enough to let the offense do what they need to do. Now we need to see if the offensive line can gel. But I think that is another thread...

To what, a base 4-3 like the Steelers? Its possible coming from the cover2 but if your thinking 3-4, no way. Maybe when the Manning era ends but I think people like a 3-4 because its hyped up. It has its faults like any defensive scheme. A very good QB can really pick on linebacker coverage.

natelombardi - expand on why you think the Colts should consider a new defensive scheme. When you just post up a question for the sake of posting a question, it doesn't get a lot of responses and won't end in a good discussion.

Kind of like what Andy does in his topics.

True but.....

What is a shceme?

The thread title is kinda like this, ruk -

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, t he olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rgh it pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! if you can raed tihs psas it on !!"

But you're absolutely right I got duped & come to think of it I thought I saw a product with similar name in girlfriend's bathroom cabinet.