Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2nd Round - Best Player Available

These are the best per position (with the top 3 BPAs - talent wise) who I see available come round 2...Grigson said he drafts BPA but he wants guys he does not have to worry about when he's not looking so...is the BPA RB Doug Martin?

CBs

Janoris Jenkins - Red Flags

Jayron Horsley

WR

Marvin Jones

Juron Criner

TEs

Dwayne Allen

Orson Charles

DT

Jerel Worthy

Alameda Ta'amu

DE

Cam Johnson

Vinny Curry

S

Antonio Allen

Trumaine Johnson

RBs

Doug Martin

David Wilson

Oline

Mike Adams - Red Flags

Kevin Zeitler

LBs

Shea McClellin

Lavonte David

Good or great GMs must not only be able to evaluate player's ability and potential to play well in the NFL, but they must also be able to understand the needs of other teams and which player they are likely looking out for. This allows them to move down and grab the player they wanted anyway while also grabbing an extra 3rd or 4th round pick. It is not just grabbing the BPA, but fill a need with a player you want and moving down to grab more picks. In essence, they need to be able to evaluate other team players, what the coach likes, etc.

I think they're better.

It might be true that Jones or Criner might be a better value if we can snag their talent with a 5th or 6th round pick, but their neither of them are second-round talent. Especially compared to who's projected to still be on the board. Jones and Criner are among the bottom of the pack of WRs expected to be drafted. I just don't see any evidence at all that shows their talent level being that high.

It is not just grabbing the BPA, but fill a need with a player you want and moving down to grab more picks. In essence, they need to be able to evaluate other team players, what the coach likes, etc.

Yeah, that's basically the antithesis of what Grigson says he'll do. The only way he trades down is if there is no value where he sits. Player talent is primary, needs are secondary. At least that is my take on his press conference.

It might be true that Jones or Criner might be a better value if we can snag their talent with a 5th or 6th round pick, but their neither of them are second-round talent. Especially compared to who's projected to still be on the board. Jones and Criner are among the bottom of the pack of WRs expected to be drafted. I just don't see any evidence at all that shows their talent level being that high.

I'll agree that Marvin Jones won't go in the second, but if I were Grigson, I'd be searching for values and not reaches. To me, Stephen Hill might be the biggest reach on the board right now (overvalued because of combine performance/speed), and Marvin Jones might be the best value (at least at WR). I suspect their draft positions are flipped from what they actually ought to be.

Here's an interesting and in-depth look at the two of them side by side:

http://mattwaldmanrs...nes-going-deep/

I'll agree that Marvin Jones won't go in the second, but if I were Grigson, I'd be searching for values and not reaches. To me, Stephen Hill might be the biggest reach on the board right now (overvalued because of combine performance/speed), and Marvin Jones might be the best value (at least at WR). I suspect their draft positions are flipped from what they actually ought to be.

Here's an interesting and in-depth look at the two of them side by side:

http://mattwaldmanrs...nes-going-deep/

I know... someone will come back with "you can teach technique, but you can't teach speed"... blah, blah, blah.

To that, I would posit these questions (and yes, I understand there are exceptions): How long do you imagine most of these guys have been playing football? How many different coaches have already worked with them? Why would we reasonably expect someone to "get it" next year, when they haven't in their first (probably) 12-15 years of playing the game?

You missed a big one: ILB Bobby Wagner, Utah State, 6-0, 241 4.45 fourty.

He's on Cleveland's short list for their #22 pick, but I believe they wll go OT

with that selection. He slipped in under some team's radar because he had

pneumonia on his Pro Day, and only a few teams were at his make-up day.

Led his conference in tackles three straight years; is considered a solid first-

round pick. I think he'll slip to us. Put him next to Angerer and look out!

Marvin Jones should be available in the 3rd round when we pick. I really wouldn't pick a TE in the 2nd unless it is Fleener. Charles should be available in the 3rd round. I think we can get a couple of corners later in the draft just as good as what would be available in the 2nd round. Lavante David is more of a 4/3 outside linebacker and McClellin will be gone. We should not take a RB in the 2nd round.

If Kevin Zeitler is available, I would take him. I keep hearing him linked to the 49ers, but hopefully he will be there if Fleener is not. Otherwise, I would look at a receiver like Sanu.

There's a slight chance Konz slides to us. He would be a great fit.

Why is that? Konz is a center and we just signed a good young center in free agency. Sorry but picking Konz would be like throwing a draft pick in the trash and having nothing to show for a 2nd rd. pick. Way too many needs to be wasting draft picks in area's that are of little need.

Why is that? Konz is a center and we just signed a good young center in free agency. Sorry but picking Konz would be like throwing a draft pick in the trash and having nothing to show for a 2nd rd. pick. Way too many needs to be wasting draft picks in area's that are of little need.

After combine and pro day workouts, Konz has also been projected as an elite level OG. Many feel he would be a better guard than anybody being mentioned in the second round. Oh ya, he can also play center if there is an injury to the guy from the raiders

After combine and pro day workouts, Konz has also been projected as an elite level OG. Many feel he would be a better guard than anybody being mentioned in the second round. Oh ya, he can also play center if there is an injury to the guy from the raiders

They said the same thing about Mike Pollack. I think we all remember how that turned out.

We also drafted Anthony Gonzalez in the same area and that didn't work out, so should we also avoid WR?

No, the point is we do not need to draft a natural center(like Pollack) and change him to guard and just hope that he excels at that position. Everybody thinks that a center can transition to guard and vice versa without any problems, but Pollack proved thats a false fallacy. Also we could fill a much bigger need on the roster with the 34th pick than a center. The 34th pick is way too high to be picking a guy to change his position. You do that with later picks.

No, the point is we do not need to draft a natural center(like Pollack) and change him to guard and just hope that he excels at that position. Everybody thinks that a center can transition to guard and vice versa without any problems, but Pollack proved thats a false fallacy. Also we could fill a much bigger need on the roster with the 34th pick than a center. The 34th pick is way too high to be picking a guy to change his position. You do that with later picks.

Agree just way too many needs to take on projects at 34.There will be first rd starters available at 34 take BPA and draft projects in later rds.

Im not big on trying to convert a player to another position anyway that can only set them back for a lengthy period of time and who knows maybe they will never pick up the new position

Fair enough. But just because we haven't had success with that transition doesn't mean it isn't possible. Eric Wood in Buffalo was drafted as a center, played guard early in his career and is one of the better centers in the game now.

Fair enough. But just because we haven't had success with that transition doesn't mean it isn't possible. Eric Wood in Buffalo was drafted as a center, played guard early in his career and is one of the better centers in the game now.

Im not saying it can't be done, all im saying is that IMO, the 34th pick is way too high to be taking chances of switching a guys position. Espesially when there are so many holes to fill on the roster.

In my eyes here are some more likely 2nd rounders that I would be looking at closely

WR

• M. Sanu

• R. Randle

Blackmon, Floyd, and Wright all go in the 1st round leaving the above as the best in the 2nd round. Hill's lack of college production is too much of a red flag for me. I think we should also take a hard look at A.J. Jenkins in the 3rd round if we don't go WR in the 2nd.

TE

• C. Fleener

There is only one TE pick in the 2nd round and that's Fleener. I don't think this guy makes it to round 2 however unless things break that way. As an offensive weapon he is that good.

NT

• A. Ta'amu

There you go. Short list. Poe is likely going to be gone between picks 20 and 32 and the rest of the NT are not worthy.

OLB

• S. McClellin
  • R. Lewis
  • A. Branch

I put McClellin here because of his motor, his versatility, and his smarts. He is a little light but he is still a solid tackler and the two greatest things you need an OLB to do in the 3-4 is to defend in space and rush the passer; both of which this guy can do well.

DE

• D. Still
  • K. Reyes
  • D. Wolfe

I think these are good players but here you have to wonder if we are already serviceable with our roster of Matthews, McKinney, and Moala. This leads me to believe that DE will not be the pick here in the 2nd.

OL

• K. Zeitler (G)
  • K. Osemele (G)

I don't see us getting any OT's good enough in the 2nd round that wouldn't be a reach and would be higher on my board than other positions. These guys are about it in the 2nd round because they are guards that you can bank on for the next 4-8 years.

CB

• S. Gilmore
  • J. Hosley
  • AJ Jenkins

So as you can see...lots of choices but only 1-2 guys at each when it comes to "my board" in the 2nd round. The great thing is...these are all amazing players. As long as none of these guys are complete busts it's hard to go wrong.

Someone will fall out of the 1st round. The ones listed in the first post is all 2nd round or later prospects.

Not all prospects, who have been mentioned or rated as 1st round prospects will go in the 1st round.

Here are some who could slip out of the 1st (in no particular order), and could be used:

WR:

Rueben Randle

Stephen Hill

Kendall Wright

- Personally I don't think there will be 5 WRs picked in the 1st. Blackmon and Floyd will go at some point. Teams like Browns, Texans, 49ers could all go WR, but will they?

TE:

Coby Fleener

- Will probably go in the bottom of the 1st round. Giants and 49ers are plausible options. But could potentially be available at 34. No other TE is worthy of this pick. I would love Dwayne Allen in the 3rd round though.

OL:

Peter Konz

Kevin Zeitler

Kelechi Osemele

Amini Silatolu

Jonathan Martin

- Konz is smart, but doesn't play with the mean streak that Zeitler, Osemele and Silatolu does (or can). Konz is a center only in my book, but the Colts don't need that with Satele on board. The others would be solid as well. Jonathan Martin is falling and falling. Zeitler, Osemele, Silatolu looks like solid 10 years starters. Add Cordy Glenn should he somehow slip.

DE/DT/5 tech DL:

Devon Still

Brandon Thompson

Kendall Reyes

- Would only want Still of these listed really.

DE/OLB

Shea McClellin

Courtney Upshaw

Andre Branch

- Not the biggest need this year. But there is a lot of pass rushers mentioned in the 1st round. Not a Branch fan myself, but McClellin, Upshaw could both fit as BPA picks.

ILB:

Dont'a Hightower

- He won't be there, but should take longer than 30 seconds to get the pick in if he is.

S:

Mark Barron

- Same story as Hightower.

CB:

Dre Kirkpatrick

Janoris Jenkins

Jayron Hosley

- Claiborne, Gilmore and probably Dre Kirkpatrick are locks in the 1st. The listed could all be available and would be solid picks based on talent.

Did not include: RB, NT, QB. Not a need or no value.

Some of these guys will drop and be solid picks!

Did not include: RB, NT, QB. Not a need or no value.

You honestly don't think NT is a need or has no value??? McKinney is the only true NT on the roster. Mookie will get destroyed if he is forced to play the NT. He's not very stout as a 4-3 DT, let alone having to be the sole anchor in a 3-4. I know Grigson mentioned him as a possible NT, but he can't possibly believe himself. We without doubt need a good NT out of this draft. Jean-Baptiste, Fangupo, Kitchen are all possibilities.

Understand this, fangupo hicks and jean baptiste are not starters

And you know this....how?

I don't think Hicks is a NT anyway, but Jean-Baptiste, and Fangupo could develop into quality players, but really we just need a guy to share time with McKinney or step in for him if injured and right now we have nobody.

Understand this, fangupo hicks and jean baptiste are not starters

I agree with this. I've posted here before that I thought Baptiste would be the best choice but only in a later round. The more I see the tape though the more I only like Ta'amu in this draft. I think NT is something that can wait till next year. We could conceivably still improve the D-line by getting a solid DE this year.