Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts trade for ILB Grant Stuard

coltsfan_canada

Stuard Profile:

An undersized linebacker who flies around the field with his hair on fire and plays with elite competitive toughness and drive. He does a good job attacking downhill and using key & diagnosing ability to avoid blockers and take good angles to the football.  Processing and will are his two most redeeming attributes; he’s very decisive, reads his keys well, and attacks the ball carrier to put the defense into a good position. He’s a low tackler whose tackle radius is sub-par.

Did a good job finishing his tackles with aggression and authority. He does a good job as a backside pursuit defender who chases ball carriers down the line of scrimmage using his speed, burst, and understanding of angles. Overall, Stuard will be a fan favorite special teams type of player that can be one of the last guys to possibly crack the 53-man roster. He is the type of player people want to succeed. 

Grant Stuard (born October 15, 1998) is an American football linebacker for the Indianapolis Colts of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at Houston and was selected by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers with the final pick in the 2021 NFL Draft, making him that year's Mr. Irrelevant.

10 minutes ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

More proof Leonard is not coming back week one.  

I bet he misses 1/4-1/2 the season

I don't think this really has anything to do with Leonard. I suppose you could argue that since one of the backups will be starting, that it would be their replacement for special teams. A quick internet search shows that the player they just traded for is a very good special teamer, and was a fan fav of bucs fans. 

King was brought in to be a core ST’s player.  He’s done nothing and has been nicked as well.  ST’s we’re a big plus for the Colts last year. They have to replace guys like Odum and Adams who were critical pieces.  There’s been some chatter about the Colts carrying 7 LB’s.  Picking up Stuard might make it so. 

I recall someone on here declaring Jackson an automatic goner when Lindsay was acquired.  Some of us said not so fast because Jackson plays ST’s. 

4 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

This likely has more to do with King being a subpar linebacker (and being outplayed by the rookies) and Watts injury......not sure it affects Weatherford or JoJo's roster spots though

This trade is a head scratcher when compared with Weatherford. Weatherford must have had bad breath or body odor.

Just now, CoachLite said:

This trade is a head scratcher when compared with Weatherford.

Yeah the only thing I can think of is......nothing actually. Weatherford balled out this preseason just like the Thomas kid - all over the field making tackles, showing good instincts and angles......I truly hope he is signed to the PS and then promoted at some point to the active roster

5 hours ago, CoachLite said:

This trade is a head scratcher when compared with Weatherford. Weatherford must have had bad breath or body odor.

The trade is a head scratcher?    Why?   Our ST coach and Ballard clearly think it’s necessary.   We lost ST’s aces Odom, Adams,  and Jordan Glasgow.   That’s a lot of ST talent to be down. 

Weatherford isn’t bad.   He got caught up in a numbers crunch.   We like him.  I’m sure we hope to get him on the PS.   And he might be on our roster at some time this season, or possibly next year.   The kid appears to have a future, and I think/hope it’s with the Colts. 

11 hours ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

More proof Leonard is not coming back week one.  

I bet he misses 1/4-1/2 the season

This was a move made for special teams not Leonard.  With that said I’d be shocked if Leonard plays week one at this point.  He’s going to need time to get in football shape.  I do think him coming off PUP means they expect him back sometime in the first four weeks though.

8 hours ago, sb41champs said:

The Colts must have liked this guy in the later rounds of the draft - but - missed out on the opportunity to draft him.  I can't think of any other reason they'd attempt to acquire him.

How about this…. 

The Colts weren’t happy with their special teams play in the pre-season. 

The Colts scouts looked at the kids 2021 tape and saw he was a top ST player for TB.  

So it was what he did in the NFL last year and perhaps less about what he did in college that made us interested.   And by trading for him, we get him on the last three years of his rookie contract.   If we waited until he was cut, he’d likely be more expensive because we might have to outbid another team for him. 

Good kid.... 

STs stud... 

Wiki.... 

• In the 2020 season he was a team captain for his senior year and led the Cougars in tackles: he made 61 total tackles (including 35 solo tackles) in a COVID-shortened 7-game regular season.
  • Mr. Irrelevant (2021)
  • First-team All-AAC (2020)
  • Second-team All-AAC (2019)
  • Stuard helped take care of his four siblings while growing up, as his mother battled a drug addiction and his father spent time in prison.[1]

• Shive changed the title to Colts trade for ILB Grant Stuard
On 8/31/2022 at 12:14 AM, NewColtsFan said:

How about this…. 

The Colts weren’t happy with their special teams play in the pre-season. 

The Colts scouts looked at the kids 2021 tape and saw he was a top ST player for TB.  

So it was what he did in the NFL last year and perhaps less about what he did in college that made us interested.   And by trading for him, we get him on the last three years of his rookie contract.   If we waited until he was cut, he’d likely be more expensive because we might have to outbid another team for him. 

Yip. He takes Glasgow's spot at "LB". They know how important special teams is.

Archived