Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jimmy G restructures contract to stay w/49ers

NewColtsFan

The 49ers and Garappolo agreed to re-do his deal to keep him with San Francisco.  He’ll become the highest paid backup QB to stay and support Trey Lance. 

JG gets $6.5 as his base with the possibility of up to an additional $9 mill should he become the starter. 

Potentially a win-win for both sides. 

19 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The 49ers and Garappolo agreed to re-do his deal to keep him with San Francisco.  He’ll become the highest paid backup QB to stay and support Trey Lance. 

JG gets $6.5 as his base with the possibility of up to an additional $9 mill should he become the starter. 

People laugh at me but I still say Jimmy G is a Top 15 QB in this league. He wins 70% of his games by playing smart, he has it upstairs and has been 2 Final 4's and a SB.

19 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

People laugh at me but I still say Jimmy G is a Top 15 QB in this league. He wins 70% of his games by playing smart, he has it upstairs and has been 2 Final 4's and a SB.

I understand….. 

But his arm injury and needed surgery currently makes him an unknown quantity.   At this point he’s decided he’d rather be the backup to Lance than the potential starter in Seattle, or the possible starter in Cleveland.  So he’s staying where he is.   

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I understand….. 

But his arm injury and needed surgery currently makes him an unknown quantity.   At this point he’s decided he’d rather be the backup to Lance than the potential starter in Seattle, or the possible starter in Cleveland.  So he’s staying where he is.   

I think he could've been good in Cleveland, I think he goes 6-5 there where I have JB going 4-7 and I like JB as you know. JB is more of a backup than Jimmy. Tom Brady would struggle in Seattle, nobody in their right mind would any part of that haha .

I'll give Jimmy credit for checking his ego at the door.  He could have been unwilling to do anything just to force SF mgmt to do something.  Instead I think he is looking at the bigger picture and making a smart decision.

• He is still getting paid (less than before of course) and has time to get his arm in shape
  • If Lance falters or is injured he can step in
  • At the end of the year he can do what he wants
  • If a trade option comes along that he likes he can approve

Pretty smart on his part I think.

5 hours ago, gspdx said:

I'll give Jimmy credit for checking his ego at the door.  He could have been unwilling to do anything just to force SF mgmt to do something.  Instead I think he is looking at the bigger picture and making a smart decision.

• He is still getting paid (less than before of course) and has time to get his arm in shape
  • If Lance falters or is injured he can step in
  • At the end of the year he can do what he wants
  • If a trade option comes along that he likes he can approve

Pretty smart on his part I think.

And he also defines his loyalty....and that can be a motivating factor when the next team inks that massive check. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/30/2022 at 8:32 PM, Four2itus said:

And he also defines his loyalty....and that can be a motivating factor when the next team inks that massive check. 

If I am SF, I would trade Trey Lance for a massive boatload of picks, something like 2 first rounders if you can get it, even if they are middle of the road 1st rounders.

23 hours ago, sb41champs said:

I'm guessing the Niners are considering giving the $$$ back to Jimmy G - considering the fact that he is NOW their starting QB!!

But they don't have to.  They have both agreed to the current contract.  It does have incentives though.

49ers have all the time in the world now to decide on Lance. They can wait until next year if they want and see how Jimmy G does. If he works his magic and helps get the team to the playoffs yet again, it’ll be a hard but enviable decision. 

Their offense definitely came to life once he took over. Hate that for Lance, but the NFL is not for the faint of heart. 

On 8/29/2022 at 11:32 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Paid off for 49ners. I thought 49ners were going to lose him to another team. (hint hint COLTS) They got lucky getting him even though he is the highest paid back up.. lol

11 minutes ago, Maniac53 said:

Paid off for 49ners. I thought 49ners were going to lose him to another team. (hint hint COLTS) They got lucky getting him even though he is the highest paid back up.. lol

His new contract includes special clauses if he becomes the starter, which he just did.   So he will make more than the $6.5 mill base pay he signed for.   He’ll do just fine.    Next year, if he remains healthy, he’ll be much more in demand. 

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

His new contract includes special clauses if he becomes the starter, which he just did.   So he will make more than the $6.5 mill base pay he signed for.   He’ll do just fine.    Next year, if he remains healthy, he’ll be much more in demand. 

So Jimmy just doing fine while others passed on him.... LOL

6 minutes ago, Maniac53 said:

So Jimmy just doing fine while others passed on him.... LOL

Well….  Everyone passed on him because he hurt his passing arm shoulder around late January.   And no one knew how healthy he’d be.   Plus he had a big contract and no one could talk to him.   Too many question marks and not enough clarity over health and contract.  Too much to overcome.  

Archived