Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ehlinger as our Taysom Hill?

Smonroe

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I think the roster is fluid and things have changed allot in the past year.   They have a starter in Ryan for the next couple years.  They have their backup in Foles for the next couple years.   I think the draft pick is more valuable than a bench player with little chance of being a starter.   That said, I would love to have him on the practice squad.  I don't want to see the Colts keep only 3 RB's in order to keep Sam on the 53 man roster.  getting a 6th or 7th round draft pick would be much better than losing him to waivers.

Sure. And if they are trading him for an actual player at a position of need for THIS season, that's def different.

But a future 6h/7th round pick doesn't help the team this year and prob not next year either. 

Like you said, the roster is fluid. Foles might not be here next year and Ehlinger would save some money as the QB2 if he's ready.

I guess my point is that...they drafted Ehlinger in the 6th round of last year's draft with the hope that he could possibly develop into something more than a late-round QB. One year later, he is showing that their bet could pay off, but then they trade that bet for a future 6th/7th round prospect bet next year? 

We will all know shortly I guess.

4 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I get that.  But Ryan isn't in the Jackson, Murray, or Ben type of QB.  He's more in the Peyton mold, doesn't run much and if he does he goes down.  How many games has he missed in his career?

Of course, injuries can always happen that's why they have Foles.  Remember they went with Sam last year as #2 once they realized Eason wasn't going to handle it.  And he never threw a pass.  We all agree that he's improved, but is he really a guy you want to be one injury away from starting?

Valid point. Given Matt Ryan's injury history (knock on wood, lack of), I would lean towards Sam E on the PS, with Foles as our primary backup.

3 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

If the Colts had the intention of having Sam as the backup QB then they would not have signed Foles this off-season specifically for that intent. 

When you have a starting QB of Matt Ryan’s stature, backed up by a QB of Foles stature then Sam is simply a wasted roster spot because he would be inactive every week. 

That spot could be used for a rotational defensive lineman that would actually get snaps.

They have intention of DEVELOPING him into one.  Singing Foles means they don’t think he’s ready for that role yet.  The question is what’s best for the next step in his development or do they want to run the risk of someone else signing him?  Remember they got burned by releasing Eason last year when they thought they could just stash him on the PS.  That MAY cause them to be gun shy to risk it again 

Odds are whomever gets what would be Sam’s roster spot is going to be inactive on game days right now anyways so that’s not really a huge argument against it right now.  Now if injuries happen that could change and if the Colts keep Sam on the roster they may re-examine his status come then.  

12 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Sure. And if they are trading him for an actual player at a position of need for THIS season, that's def different.

But a future 6h/7th round pick doesn't help the team this year and prob not next year either. 

Like you said, the roster is fluid. Foles might not be here next year and Ehlinger would save some money as the QB2 if he's ready.

I guess my point is that...they drafted Ehlinger in the 6th round of last year's draft with the hope that he could possibly develop into something more than a late-round QB. One year later, he is showing that their bet could pay off, but then they trade that bet for a future 6th/7th round prospect bet next year? 

We will all know shortly I guess.

I just don't see Foles going anywhere.   Reich likes him too much and he is under contract for the next 2 seasons.  So I do not see anything except QB3 for Sam in 2022 and 2023.  

Ryan has been durable during his career so I don't think the Colts need to keep 3 on the 53 man roster.  They also need backups for other positions more and I'd hate to lose Sam without anything in return.   

When Sam was drafted, our backup QB position wasn't solidly filled so to draft a late round QB made sense.  

I wish the Colts could have gotten a late round draft pick for Chad Kelly.

10 minutes ago, Myles said:

I just don't see Foles going anywhere.   Reich likes him too much and he is under contract for the next 2 seasons.  So I do not see anything except QB3 for Sam in 2022 and 2023.  

Ryan has been durable during his career so I don't think the Colts need to keep 3 on the 53 man roster.  They also need backups for other positions more and I'd hate to lose Sam without anything in return.   

When Sam was drafted, our backup QB position wasn't solidly filled so to draft a late round QB made sense.  

The Colts clearly wanted a vet backup QB and the fact that they never gave Sam a run with the twos means you are right Foles isn’t going anywhere.

Your second paragraph is the debate I think the Colts are having right now.  On one hand you’d like to use that roster spot for another player.  On the other hand you aren’t banged up so bad you NEED that roster spot right now because that guy, regardless of position, is probably going to be inactive on game days right now anyways.  So do you want to risk losing Sam if you try to put him in your PS?  Where do the Colts stand on that right now?  We will know soon.

The Colts had Wentz and Eason when they drafted Sam.  So it was kinda solidified.  The Colts made it clear they wanted Eason to develop into a backup and even said when they cut him last year they were hoping to get him back on the PS so it’s not like they had given up on him.

No one was giving them anything for Kelly.  The fact he was released and went unsigned by everyone when they could have had him for free means no was going to trade something of value for him.

7 minutes ago, Myles said:

I said it in an earlier thread, the Vikings gave a 7th rounder for Mullins.  Minshew went for a 6.  Both guys with NFL starter experience.

Why anyone would think we'd get any draft pick for Sam or Kelly is beyond me.  Kelly is a backup in the CFL for heaven's sake.

If Sam continues to develop next season, and maybe they let him play with the ones in the preseason, then they may be fielding offers for him.

12 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I said it in an earlier thread, the Vikings gave a 7th rounder for Mullins.  Minshew went for a 6.  Both guys with NFL starter experience.

Why anyone would think we'd get any draft pick for Sam or Kelly is beyond me.  Kelly is a backup in the CFL for heaven's sake.

If Sam continues to develop next season, and maybe they let him play with the ones in the preseason, then they may be fielding offers for him.

I understand that .   My thought of trading him for a late round pick was based on IF someone offered it for him.   I know that is unlikely.  

7 hours ago, Smonroe said:

You ask those questions to any team and 90% would say no to their backups.  That’s not good logic.

But I agree that if Sam is put on waivers, there’s a good chance he doesn’t get picked up.

When I asked which team would pick him up in a different thread I just kept hearing “some team”.  Someone said the Browns.  Who have 3 veterans on their roster now and will get Watson back.  So that’s ridiculous.  

Still, I think we keep him.  I think his ceiling is as a Barkley type of backup. Great preseason QB. Never going to be a starter.  

Ultimately you may end up being right....  But there are usually 8-10 backup level QBs that are available for cheap each year

Easier to find a another backup QB, then holding a spot open for a 3rd stringer 

32 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Exactly 

A case could easily be made that Minshew is a better backup than SE

I think we take the risk...... and put SE on the practice squad

I hope we get a backup at 1 tech (not on the roster today) IMHO

Praying for health for Grover!!!

12 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Exactly 

A case could easily be made that Minshew is a better backup than SE

I think we take the risk...... and put SE on the practice squad

I hope we get a backup at 1 tech (not on the roster today) IMHO

Praying for health for Grover!!!

Your last sentence says it all.  We don’t have a real 1 tech other than Grove.  He looked awesome in the preseason.  I know he was going against 2s, but he owned that series Saturday night.  

Someone said the coaches and scouts were watching the Bucs DTs very closely, lol.  

12 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Sam Ehrlinger is the GOAT

Don't laugh, have you seen the stats and ratings he put up for three years in college...yet they only earned him a 6th round draft choice.

And Jordan Love got drafted in the 1st.  That difference is the laugher.

21 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Sam would be the backup, Foles would be inactive.  He'd still be doing the same thing we brought him in for, helping Matt out by pointing out what he sees.

They'd be taking a chance, because if Ryan had to lead the game I don't think Sam is ready to play against #1s.  But how often has Ryan left a game?

I just see it as a strategy where we get some use out of guy that we're afraid would get snatched if we put him on waivers.  Again, I don't think it would happen. 

Might be a good idea from the Colts perspective but I'm not sure Foles was ready to retire so probably wouldn't be here if that had been the plan.

6 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

Might be a good idea from the Colts perspective but I'm not sure Foles was ready to retire so probably wouldn't be here if that had been the plan.

It wouldn't change anything for Foles.  If Ryan would go down, Foles would be the starter the next week.  

Looks like Sam will make the team.

I think they want to use him just like they used Brissett a couple of seasons ago.

QB sneaks and some wildcat.

The right thing to do would be to make Nick inactive and just have Ryan and Sam active, but I don't think Frank is going to make his friend inactive.

On 8/29/2022 at 8:37 AM, MikeCurtis said:

This morning I was watching "Breakfast with Ken" on Youtube

He is a good watch and made the following points..... 

You keep Ehlinger on the 53 if the answer to one of the 2 questions is yes

Is Ehlinger going to win you games in 2022?

Is Ehlinger your QB of the future?

My read is that BOTH answers are a resounding NO

I think you have to cut the kid, and hope that you can stash him on the practice squad

There are many choices for a backup, each and every year.....  

We gave Foles a 2 year contract......  He is a proven backup

Holding a spot for Ehlinger to be an occasional option QB, doesnt seem prudent

Not when our OL depth is weak

Not when our DL depth is weak

I’m very impressed with Sam and have said he deserves a spot on this roster but, these are all very good points.  Makes you really stop and think about the bigger picture.  Good post 

On 8/29/2022 at 10:36 AM, chad72 said:

Injury factor is a real concern too. Luck missed games, Jacoby missed a game (remember Hoyer vs Dolphins??), Wentz played banged up, Mahomes got banged up and missed games in 2020, Lamar Jackson missed games last year, Big Ben did, Jameis Winston did, Kyler Murray did, and that is a big reason why lots of teams carry a 3rd QB. You are playing the odds that Foles gives you a high level of production without needing a viable 3rd QB to back him up w.r.t injury. 

our pass protection is not good we need 3

Archived