Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Leonard ranked 18

CR91

1 minute ago, Nesjan3 said:

I dont think there is many people here who poo poo on good or great things the team does. There is definitely a handful of people who are critical and don't buy into the sunshine mafias blue shaded sunglasses, everything is always rainbows ideals though. 

To be completely blunt this regime hasn't done much that could be considered great. I personally would like to win the division or a playoff game. Sorry but having lots of pro bowlers or players on the NFL top 100 doesn't equal wins and in turn doesn't mean much to me. 

Fair enough but Frank Reich's record is 37-28 as head coach which is good considering he has had 4 different QB's to start each of those seasons. Vegas has our number of wins at 10.5 last I looked and winning the division which is good praise and none of them wear "blue shaded sunglasses". How is picking the Colts to win 11 games and the division perceived as someone wearing blue shaded glasses? That is what Vegas and most of the media are picking them to do. I haven't seen 1 person in here or the media say we are going to go 20-0 and win the SB without being sarcastic. I think we can make the AFC Title Game and it is very possible and I wear regular sunglasses.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

To the best of my knowledge, there’s no one who is willing to pay JT that kind of money. 

And that’s not how computing salaries works.   Players get comped to other similar type players at position, achievement, age, etc. 

Q will likely get about $20 mill per, making him the highest paid guard.   But the comps on JT are more reasonable (if I can use that term).    So PFF just comped JTs next contract that we will offer next season at 4 years, $65 mill, $16.25m.   Give or take, that’s roughly the ballpark for Taylor.   And it will come as we’re also doing Pittmans deal.   I’d peg the floor on that as 4/72 (18 per) and the ceiling at 4/84, but possibly 3/63,  (21 per). 

Important point:  Those contracts won’t go into full effect next year.   Both MP and JT will still have their 4th year on their rookie contract to play under.   They’ll get their signing bonus,  but the contract won’t really start until 2024. 

So why should Q make more than Taylor? 

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

So why should Q make more than Taylor? 

Because that’s what the market us for the top guard compared to the top RB.   

Even if we paid Q a little less, say 19 or 18 per, and paid JT a little more, 16.5 or 17 per, that still has Q higher than JT.   A top lineman — even a guard is worth more than a top TB, 

That’s what their position group rankings roughly say they’re worth.   That’s the going rate for the top player at their respective positions. 

I didn’t make this up.   It’s not set in stone, thus wasn’t negotiated per se,  but it’s what owners/front office types and agents use to negotiate.  This is the financial language that they speak to make a deal that works for both sides. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Fair enough but Frank Reich's record is 37-28 as head coach which is good considering he has had 4 different QB's to start each of those seasons. Vegas has our number of wins at 10.5 last I looked and winning the division which is good praise and none of them wear "blue shaded sunglasses". How is picking the Colts to win 11 games and the division perceived as someone wearing blue shaded glasses? That is what Vegas and most of the media are picking them to do. I haven't seen 1 person in here or the media say we are going to go 20-0 and win the SB without being sarcastic. I think we can make the AFC Title Game and it is very possible and I wear regular sunglasses.

I'm not saying anyone projecting the Colts to do well this year wear the blue shades. But they are definitely evident on this forum quite often. As well as the group of people who have earned the name sunshine mafia haha. Who like to jump on people being critical even when criticism is warranted.

45 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

I'm not saying anyone projecting the Colts to do well this year wear the blue shades. But they are definitely evident on this forum quite often. As well as the group of people who have earned the name sunshine mafia haha. Who like to jump on people being critical even when criticism is warranted.

I try not to be critical of people when they do criticize the team. It is just some are always real negative. I think our WR room is suspect and LT play is up in the air to whether it can be good or not, so I see that side of it. It is going to be an interesting year that is for sure. It is wide open.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I try not to be critical of people when they do criticize the team. It is just some are always real negative. I think our WR room is suspect and LT play is up in the air to whether it can be good or not, so I see that side of it. It is going to be an interesting year that is for sure. It is wide open.

Should be interesting for sure.  Everyone opinion is warranted. I try not to be to critical, but hey everyone is different.  Some are optimists others are pessimists and some are just realists who say it like it is.

13 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Should be interesting for sure.  Everyone opinion is warranted. I try not to be to critical, but hey everyone is different.  Some are optimists others are pessimists and some are just realists who say it like it is.

I understand what you are saying. It is annoying when people pile on someone for being critical of a Colts decision. I try to be open objective when talking about the Colts.  I agree this regime hasn’t done anything to write home about in the W/L column but I also think they have put together a very good roster. I think they will win the division this year and excited about the season but part of me is also thinking about flippin time.

Really interested to see how they navigate the cap crunch that is coming and how they choose a QB of the future.  I have not been a supporter of the veteran QB route they chose but still think Matt Ryan is one heck of an alternative and can respect why it was done. Either way I will still enjoy watching the Colts for years to come. 

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Because that’s what the market us for the top guard compared to the top RB.   

Even if we paid Q a little less, say 19 or 18 per, and paid JT a little more, 16.5 or 17 per, that still has Q higher than JT.   A top lineman — even a guard is worth more than a top TB, 

That’s what their position group rankings roughly say they’re worth.   That’s the going rate for the top player at their respective positions. 

I didn’t make this up.   It’s not set in stone, thus wasn’t negotiated per se,  but it’s what owners/front office types and agents use to negotiate.  This is the financial language that they speak to make a deal that works for both sides. 

Just because the market says so doesn't mean u have to go along with it. Reciever market has gone thru the roof. Some teams have said thanks but no thanks and have  moved.

14 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Just because the market says so doesn't mean u have to go along with it. Reciever market has gone thru the roof. Some teams have said thanks but no thanks and have  moved.

Yeah….    So?    True, we don’t have to, but why would we do as you suggest we could?   What’s the upside?    What’s the argument for paying him OVER market rate?    Especially at a position with a very high rate of injuries? 

Love that our players are getting league wide recognition, but seriously the team needs to produce more results.  This team has seriously underachieved for some time.

Post season results are needed to prove out our strength of the roster.

Time to get it done!

37 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I understand what you are saying. It is annoying when people pile on someone for being critical of a Colts decision. I try to be open objective when talking about the Colts.  I agree this regime hasn’t done anything to write home about in the W/L column but I also think they have put together a very good roster. I think they will win the division this year and excited about the season but part of me is also thinking about flippin time.

Really interested to see how they navigate the cap crunch that is coming and how they choose a QB of the future.  I have not been a supporter of the veteran QB route they chose but still think Matt Ryan is one heck of an alternative and can respect why it was done. Either way I will still enjoy watching the Colts for years to come. 

Matt Ryan is still a good QB, he is Top 25 all-time as well so he knows how to win and is a leader. It will be like having Rivers again but with more mobility. 

1 minute ago, jmac_48 said:

Love that our players are getting league wide recognition, but seriously the team needs to produce more results.  This team has seriously underachieved for some time.

Post season results are needed to prove out our strength of the roster.

Time to get it done!

I think this will be the year we prove it, I could be wrong but I don't think so.

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Matt Ryan is still a good QB, he is Top 25 all-time as well so he knows how to win and is a leader. It will be like having Rivers again but with more mobility. 

I agree Ryan is still a good QB. I wasn’t too thrilled with Rivers. Yeah he limped is into the playoffs bc they expanded to 7 teams, never felt like he could carry the team and win a game for us. I do think Matt Ryan can.  I wish we never signed Rivers and traded up that draft for either Tua or Herbert. 

1 hour ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I agree Ryan is still a good QB. I wasn’t too thrilled with Rivers. Yeah he limped is into the playoffs bc they expanded to 7 teams, never felt like he could carry the team and win a game for us. I do think Matt Ryan can.  I wish we never signed Rivers and traded up that draft for either Tua or Herbert. 

I have always been against mortgaging the future to move up in the draft.   The Colts didn't even have a 1st round pick in 2020 (Buckner) and would have had to give up way too much to move up into the top 5.  Just looking at the player they would not have been able to draft in that year alone - Pittman, Taylor, Blackmon, Pinter, Rodgers, Patmon and Blankenship and that wouldn't include the 2021 and 2022 draft picks they would have to give up.   I've seen too many teams suffer for years because of giving up tons of draft picks only to draft a bust.  

3 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I liked the Rivers signing (he played good) but the problem with him was he just didn't have enough help. Taylor wasn't the Taylor he is now and Pittman is better too. Matt Ryan will win this division going away. 

3 hours ago, Myles said:

I have always been against mortgaging the future to move up in the draft.   The Colts didn't even have a 1st round pick in 2020 (Buckner) and would have had to give up way too much to move up into the top 5.  Just looking at the player they would not have been able to draft in that year alone - Pittman, Taylor, Blackmon, Pinter, Rodgers, Patmon and Blankenship and that wouldn't include the 2021 and 2022 draft picks they would have to give up.   I've seen too many teams suffer for years because of giving up tons of draft picks only to draft a bust.  

I totally understand. I also realize that by wanting either Herbert or Tua would mean the draft picks for Buckner and Paye and probably another pick in the 2nd or 3rd would of been needed to make the trade.  I think they had a plan to get Buckner and Rivers bc they thought the team was a few pieces away from a deep run.  We almost beat the Bills and if we win, who knows how it would of played out. Water under the bridge and I accept where we are now bc I understand why they did what they did.  

7 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I totally understand. I also realize that by wanting either Herbert or Tua would mean the draft picks for Buckner and Paye and probably another pick in the 2nd or 3rd would of been needed to make the trade.  I think they had a plan to get Buckner and Rivers bc they thought the team was a few pieces away from a deep run.  We almost beat the Bills and if we win, who knows how it would of played out. Water under the bridge and I accept where we are now bc I understand why they did what they did.  

We were so lucky with the Manning and Luck draft picks that I think some fans may be conditioned to think if we moved up, it would be a sure thing.  For every Herbert, there is a Rosen and Darnold.  you draft a bust and the franchise is bad for 4 years or more.  

7 minutes ago, Myles said:

We were so lucky with the Manning and Luck draft picks that I think some fans may be conditioned to think if we moved up, it would be a sure thing.  For every Herbert, there is a Rosen and Darnold.  you draft a bust and the franchise is bad for 4 years or more.  

I have said this for years in here. I 100% agree. What if we would have traded up and took Tua chuckling homer simpson GIF

2 hours ago, Myles said:

I totally understand the risk. Times are definitely changing with QBs moving teams more than ever. Trading for the proven QB is much safer if you can absorb the large salary as well. I will be watching the sustained success that Denver and Cleveland are able to have.  The Rams won the SB so their deal already paid itself off 

1 minute ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I totally understand the risk. Times are definitely changing with QBs moving teams more than ever. Trading for the proven QB is much safer if you can absorb the large salary as well. I will be watching the sustained success that Denver and Cleveland are able to have.  The Rams won the SB so their deal already paid itself off 

Yep, the Rams, Denver, Cleveland and the Colts will be good examples if it works.  I'm not totally against trading up for a QB that the team likes.  But not from the 20's to the top 5.   That would take too much.  If we find ourselves with the 7th pick in the draft maybe trade up to #3 or #4.  

1 hour ago, Myles said:

Yep, the Rams, Denver, Cleveland and the Colts will be good examples if it works.  I'm not totally against trading up for a QB that the team likes.  But not from the 20's to the top 5.   That would take too much.  If we find ourselves with the 7th pick in the draft maybe trade up to #3 or #4.  

That makes sense.  I wanted to let you it when we were 13 or 14.  I just didn’t feel like we were good enough to seriously compete with a guy like Rivers but too good to ever draft that low again. These next two years will tell us if we made the right decision. Getting to the divisional round of the playoffs is what I consider a really good year.  From there it’s all about matchups, health and luck. I think we have a good enough team we should get there. 

Archived