Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Name your #1 concern now that pre-season is over

Happy2BeHere

2 hours ago, TheBlueAndWhite said:

I get your concerns, but for me personally, the viewpoint that I hold on preseason games, is of course it's play calling is bland and the drives stall... because preseason is a player evaluation game, part of the bland play calling is to see what your players can do without being schemed open all the time, they want to see what they can do with their natural talent, it helps the coaches to easily be able to identify what needs work with them and what doesn't, leave the cool play calls for the practice field/Regular season, preseason is boring and about player skill evaluations in live action games. 

Hope you're right but I've seen enough of this offense over the years with Frank as the primary playcaller and it looks no different when it comes to the STARTERS playing in the preseason. This notion that Frank is being vanilla in those games is a stretch. The starting offense (ESPECIALLY the passing game) has looked average all training camp even with an upgrade at the qb position in Matt Ryan. The o-line has looked lackluster in pass protection also. I'm quite sure Frank has wanted to work out some of those kinks BEFORE the regular season starts if not why even play the starters for ANY extended time risking injury.

I'm optimistic as usual to start the season BUT until this offense shows it can be special opposing defenses will 

A) key on the run game to stop JT or whoever 

B) bring heat to a stationary qb who has weak pass protection

C) force our receivers to separate against press coverage 

As far as the Colts defense it's all about fixing their glaring weakness of generating a pass rush on opposing qbs! You can't give 5 to 10 yard cushions on receivers AND allow their qb to survey the field for an extended period of time inside a clean pocket.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, 4daUColts said:

1st time replier, long time reader... just saying hi to all. im from where sterling weatherford went to hs in cicero. glad hes doing good so far. just here to support my team. go colts!

I went to Heights as well. Graduated in 13

6 minutes ago, Happy2BeHere said:

Definitely seems thus far the two biggest concerns is O line depth and Reich.

I do definitely agree the O line concerns me. I feel we should have invested some capital to acquire a decent LT (a proven LT).

and more so a RG because that's where the pocket breaks down very fast

16 hours ago, Happy2BeHere said:

For me I really think it boils down to play calling. I’m concerned that Reich will dial up bad plays that cause our offense to be stagnant. Don’t run Hines up the middle on any down especially 3rd down. 

I sure hope that Ryan will be the on field play caller and can change up whatever he wants to based on what he sees. That’s what this team has lacked since the days of Luck but especially Manning.

OL

2 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

Hope you're right but I've seen enough of this offense over the years with Frank as the primary playcaller and it looks no different when it comes to the STARTERS playing in the preseason. This notion that Frank is being vanilla in those games is a stretch. The starting offense (ESPECIALLY the passing game) has looked average all training camp even with an upgrade at the qb position in Matt Ryan. The o-line has looked lackluster in pass protection also. I'm quite sure Frank has wanted to work out some of those kinks BEFORE the regular season starts if not why even play the starters for ANY extended time risking injury.

I'm optimistic as usual to start the season BUT until this offense shows it can be special opposing defenses will 

A) key on the run game to stop JT or whoever 

B) bring heat to a stationary qb who has weak pass protection

C) force our receivers to separate against press coverage 

As far as the Colts defense it's all about fixing their glaring weakness of generating a pass rush on opposing qbs! You can't give 5 to 10 yard cushions on receivers AND allow their qb to survey the field for an extended period of time inside a clean pocket.

I don't think the critism of Frank is really warranted. Please go back the last 5 years and provide me with a list of offensive playmakers. I bet it is a very small list.

10 hours ago, Bravo said:

I went to Heights as well. Graduated in 13

2004 was mine. no doubt would be cool to see him play. wouldnt be surprised if he made a nice play for the team this year. lenard needs to show him how to shaq-foo that ball. and yes this was all just a shaq foo plug to those who wondered. 

The lack of depth on the O-Line and D-Line is alarming. The drop off in play is really noticeable.

Especially since Ballard preaches on how important those trenches are. 

Also Frank's play calling has been blander than vanilla. I'm glad Hines didn't play cuz he would've just been forced up the middle.....again. 

2 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

The lack of depth on the O-Line and D-Line is alarming. The drop off in play is really noticeable.

Especially since Ballard preaches on how important those trenches are. 

Also Frank's play calling has been blander than vanilla. I'm glad Hines didn't play cuz he would've just been forced up the middle.....again. 

I feel like Ballard will be on the waiver wire Tuesday for interior line both Offense and Defense. McIntosh might be a player, but I was hoping for more from Brooks. I like Pinter, but I feel like he is the weak link on the O-line even more than Pryor. Backups at interior O-line have been crushed, but O-line is all about coordination, so that may look worse than it is. 

I will keep lobbying for Frank to give up play-calling, not because he is bad at it, but because trying to do that and be a head coach detracts from both.

15 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I don't think the critism of Frank is really warranted. Please go back the last 5 years and provide me with a list of offensive playmakers. I bet it is a very small list.

I've always thought this team lacked MULTIPLE dynamic playmakers on offense over the past 5 yrs. Now is that a Ballard thing to dictate our offense? Is that HIS sole decision to make sure we're a primary running team, that had a main slow methodical te to go along with big possession type wrs who can block? It's hard for me to believe that Frank has no input for the offense he wants to run. I believe Frank has an old school offensive mentality and is joined at the hip with Ballard in that vision.....

BUT for conversation piece say Ballard dictates EVERYTHING player wise (forget Rivers, Wentz and Foles) on offense including all cuts does Frank as hc simply sit back and say he lacks playmakers or does he scheme his offensive players to maximize their strengths?

Is the smallish yet speedy Hines better suited in open space to create mismatches or running up the gut on 3rd and 2 against a stacked box? Speaking of which how many times down the stretch was JT stopped for no gain or loss in those same situations simply because the Colts lined up in a repeated tight formation set against the teeth of the defense? MIX IT UP! How about a qb bootleg with the option to pass?

If teams don't respect your receivers or their separation and decide to press them off the line then counter with a lot of pre snap motion, picks, rubs and double move routes. Line up in more multiple formations and go hurry up to change the pace by keeping the defense off balance.

Now years into this regime I believe Ballard has built a solid team with an old school feel. I believe Frank is a solid hc but meh as a playcaller. Is any of it good enough to win a SB in today's explosive nfl? Only time will tell.

At the beginning of the year, defenses normally hold the fort till offenses find their rhythm unless the offense is an experienced one, which ours is not with new QB and chemistry still a work in progress. Our D should be the first concern now till we let the offense and the OL establish themselves by the end of quarter 1.

23 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

People calling Matt Ryan a statue is hilarious too, he took off and ran for 11 yards on the opening drive on a play. I get it, it is about proving things, this is 2022 now, it is showtime.

Peyton was a "statue" his whole career, and that didn't seem to hold him back.

2 hours ago, masterlock said:

He was  also surrounded by a boat load of 1st round picks at the skill positions. His players were dynamic and created separation and Peyton anticipated and the reciever was there. Different circumstances.

6 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

I've always thought this team lacked MULTIPLE dynamic playmakers on offense over the past 5 yrs. Now is that a Ballard thing to dictate our offense? Is that HIS sole decision to make sure we're a primary running team, that had a main slow methodical te to go along with big possession type wrs who can block? It's hard for me to believe that Frank has no input for the offense he wants to run. I believe Frank has an old school offensive mentality and is joined at the hip with Ballard in that vision.....

BUT for conversation piece say Ballard dictates EVERYTHING player wise (forget Rivers, Wentz and Foles) on offense including all cuts does Frank as hc simply sit back and say he lacks playmakers or does he scheme his offensive players to maximize their strengths?

Is the smallish yet speedy Hines better suited in open space to create mismatches or running up the gut on 3rd and 2 against a stacked box? Speaking of which how many times down the stretch was JT stopped for no gain or loss in those same situations simply because the Colts lined up in a repeated tight formation set against the teeth of the defense? MIX IT UP! How about a qb bootleg with the option to pass?

If teams don't respect your receivers or their separation and decide to press them off the line then counter with a lot of pre snap motion, picks, rubs and double move routes. Line up in more multiple formations and go hurry up to change the pace by keeping the defense off balance.

Now years into this regime I believe Ballard has built a solid team with an old school feel. I believe Frank is a solid hc but meh as a playcaller. Is any of it good enough to win a SB in today's explosive nfl? Only time will tell.

I think they have to put their best players on the field. Taylor, Hines and Pittman need to be on the field alot.  Now that leaves 2 other skill positions open. I am high on Campbell, but I doubt he finishes the year. Pierce is young and I expect bout maybe 500 yards. We need one of the tight ends to emerge. 

6 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

It is hard to be seen as a great play  caller with this collection of skill players.  This offence needs a dynamic reciever or tight end to be a vertical threat to go to that next level. Campbell has the talent but will probably hurt himself coming out of the tunnel in our 1st game.  Don't expect a lot from our rookie tight ends. I think it really falls on Pierce to make a splash. 

Frank is and has been my biggest concern for a few years. Boring play calling when he should be creative, and at times dumb play calling when he should be simple. His boring play calling gets him into 4th down situations, and then he tries to be creative to convert on 4th down.

He’s a great person and leader, but he shouldn’t be calling plays.

12 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I think they have to put their best players on the field. Taylor, Hines and Pittman need to be on the field alot.  Now that leaves 2 other skill positions open. I am high on Campbell, but I doubt he finishes the year. Pierce is young and I expect bout maybe 500 yards. We need one of the tight ends to emerge. 

I totally agree... I've always thought that JT and Hines should be on the field together period. You can do so many things with Hines formation wise and more importantly he has to be accounted for like a Sproles type but Frank has to recognize this. Pittman is a no brainer and I fully expect Pierce to become a factor at some point this season based on what I've seen so far. I like the young talent in the tight end room but the key is how will Frank utilize them? Will they become extra options in a more modern passing game or be used mostly as blockers in run support and pass protection. Reminds me how they used our past number 2 wr Pascal whose claim to fame was how well he BLOCKED downfield.

42 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

I totally agree... I've always thought that JT and Hines should be on the field together period. You can do so many things with Hines formation wise and more importantly he has to be accounted for like a Sproles type but Frank has to recognize this. Pittman is a no brainer and I fully expect Pierce to become a factor at some point this season based on what I've seen so far. I like the young talent in the tight end room but the key is how will Frank utilize them? Will they become extra options in a more modern passing game or be used mostly as blockers in run support and pass protection. Reminds me how they used our past number 2 wr Pascal whose claim to fame was how well he BLOCKED downfield.

The same Pascall that had just as many yards, TD's. and a better ypc than TY in 19-20. Yes, he was a far superior blocker. I do very much like our new direction though.

Frank has been salivating for more Ertz/Burton like receivers so what he will be building is THAT. It is a terrible shame we lost the rookie, he has a lot going for him as a combo TE.

18 hours ago, masterlock said:

From a strictly rushing standpoint then yes, Peyton was a statue.  But if you actually watched him play I would say he was anything but a statue.  He would float around, shift around, and constantly chop his feet in the pocket.  He moved around in that pocket a ton, and by design.  I remember an interview where he said that pocket movement and choppy leg movement (almost like agility drills or having to pee) were by design, often times just due to where the pocket was shifting him but more importantly because he felt that by having his feet seldom planted in the pocket, it wouldn't leave him susceptible to a serious lower leg injury, which based on his career injury history, must have had some merit. Its harder to have the big boys roll up on you when you're not planted on the ground.

6 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

The same Pascall that had just as many yards, TD's. and a better ypc than TY in 19-20. Yes, he was a far superior blocker. I do very much like our new direction though.

Frank has been salivating for more Ertz/Burton like receivers so what he will be building is THAT. It is a terrible shame we lost the rookie, he has a lot going for him as a combo TE.

I liked Pascal a lot I was more or less speaking on how they used him downfield. Yeah his stats made him wr 2 because TY was mostly injured and a shell of himself as he has been the last couple of seasons. Yeah the rookie was flashing in camp but I still think our TEs are a very talented group that can do some damage if used properly for their skillset.

I have no concerns, the preseason is meaningless, I have no frame of reference at this point. I’m optimistic that the o line will be at least serviceable if healthy. I’m optimistic that the colts are a good team, I wouldn’t be completely gobsmacked if they’re are bad team but I’d be mildly surprised. 

They need a third pass game threat that can win quickly.  Even just a possession type.  The concern is the QB not having enough options quickly enough vs the good defenses, and if that happens an OL that requires time to settle would exacerbate things. 

Secondary concern is if the team starts slow Irsay is going to disembowel Frank in front of the stadium.  Might even behead Chris while he's at it.  Irsay isn't playing around here, the guy is serious about wanting to win now so it's playoffs or bust and a slow start is very dangerous to the employment of the HC and us starting over.

The positive side here is that most teams have weaknesses.  We're not a top roster, this is a very good roster but it requires much more pass game potency to be considered in that top group.  But they should be more than capable of taking the Titans to the final game for the division and competing well in the playoffs.

My concern is we might not get out the gate at 2-0, b/c Houston has improved watching some of their preseason games, I realized preseason doesn't mean anything, but they showed some good dline and good pass rush. Hope our oline can stand up to them. The other is the Jaguars, they seem to have our number and we're playing in their home turf.  

I'm worried about the OL as well, it's frustrating to watch the same issues with the line year after year.  The WR corp is a worry too, who else can be a threat opposite Pittman this year?  We're a bit too predictable with JT so it would be nice to have some extra options for defences to worry about.

On 8/28/2022 at 10:56 AM, John Waylon said:

Of course it’s frank’s playcalling for me. Can’t wait to see Hines up the gut for no gain on 3rd and 2. Or better yet a TE screen. I’m sure there will be even more times this season like the previous ones where it feels like the flow of the game just gets away from frank. 

That's exactly what I was about to say. At times his playcalling just drains the momentum out of us. Hines should never be used in situations like that when you have a back like Taylor averaging well over four per carry. Just saying it makes me realize how dumb it is.

Our offense is based on our O-line as much as anything else.   Until it demonstrates it can power our offense the O-line will be the top concern for me.   

I don’t think Strausser is the problem. 

Too many people here couldn’t figure out the problems with our offense when we started slowly last year (injuries to Wentz, Hilton and 4 of our 5 starting lineman).   These were the same lineman who helped Taylor rush for 1800+ yards.    Ballard bares some responsibility here as well.   Irsay too, he controls the purse strings. 

Archived