Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Crazy if they release Sam Ehlinger

AustexColt

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Media going all in on keeping Sam on the 53.  Putting the pressure on.

If you watch the players reactions to Sam on Instagram you can tell players love him.  The biggest question is will his style of play translate to the regular season. That we don’t know. I wouldn’t be surprised if he makes the roster and we actually use him on certain plays this year. He is just a unique guy.

1 minute ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

We don’t know that. I know he will finish his contact but how he feels about retirement in two years is anyone guess.

Matt about to rule in 2022 and prove the doubters wrong. My mom who I am visiting today, she hasn't followed football since Andrew left. She told me Matt looks like one bad SOB lmao 

25 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Matt about to rule in 2022 and prove the doubters wrong. My mom who I am visiting today, she hasn't followed football since Andrew left. She told me Matt looks like one bad SOB lmao 

Doesn’t matter what he does this year. What he feels like in 24 is anyone guess. We could win a SB this year or next and he could say I am done.

I'm always split on guys like Ehlinger, especially at QB.

On the plus side, I despise coaches who choose one guy over another because one "looks" the part more than another. Foles looks like an NFL QB. Ehlinger does not. Ehlinger makes plays and his teammates love him. 

On the minus side, NFL QB's who run around a lot, especially smaller ones, tend to get killed. Big, fast, men with ill intent tend to do that. Luck was even a bigger guy, but I think his tendency to run around hurt him. I know his offensive lines were not great, but a QB has to think about his availability through the whole year and proceeding years, not just one game. 

I'm pretty sure about one thing. As soon as Sam does leave the game, I'd hire him as a coach in a second.

5 hours ago, Myles said:

I think a draft pick would be more valuable than a 3rd string QB.

He won’t always be a 3rd string.   Someday, maybe next year, maybe the year after, he might be our QB2.   He might be good and he’d certainly be inexpensive.   You’re giving up on him WAY too soon. 

6 hours ago, Myles said:

I think a draft pick would be more valuable than a 3rd string QB.

Maybe..but we used a late round pick to draft him in the first place...if your not going to try and keep a guy who has done everything you could ask for from a late round pick what's the point in even drafting him...just to trade him for another guy who is gonna sit on the practice squad...or you could bite the bullet...keep the guy you drafted and get him up to be your back up..who knows maybe after another execllent preseason he could be worth more...trading him now seems like wasted investment to me

4 minutes ago, Jimdcoltsfan said:

Maybe..but we used a late round pick to draft him in the first place...if your not going to try and keep a guy who has done everything you could ask for from a late round pick what's the point in even drafting him...just to trade him for another guy who is gonna sit on the practice squad...or you could bite the bullet...keep the guy you drafted and get him up to be your back up..who knows maybe after another execllent preseason he could be worth more...trading him now seems like wasted investment to me

The situation has changed.   They have their starter and their backup for the next couple seasons not.   That wasn't the case when they drafted him.   I don't think there is room on the 53 man roster for a 3rd QB and I am afraid he wouldn't make it to the PS so getting something for him might be the best move.

1 minute ago, Myles said:

The situation has changed.   They have their starter and their backup for the next couple seasons not.   That wasn't the case when they drafted him.   I don't think there is room on the 53 man roster for a 3rd QB and I am afraid he wouldn't make it to the PS so getting something for him might be the best move.

It's not my decision so it's whatever really..but personally I'd try to hold on to him for a minute at least...maybe while waiting for Leonard to come back..and hope for a blow out game he could get some action in and maybe raise his stock...we've got some wiggle room at the moment in my opion

23 minutes ago, Nightmare Ngakoue91 said:

I would be shocked if they released him after showing that much improvement since last season. Sam Ehlinger has earned his spot on the 53 man roster.

I think the only way a QB "earns" a spot on the 53 man roster is if he is named the starter or the 1st backup.  

On 8/29/2022 at 1:42 PM, coltsfan1965 said:

I think he could make it to the PS. His value to anyone else would be when their #1 or #2 QB was injured and that's not the case now. Even then if someone claimed him off the PS, they have to put him on the active roster. 

That is the thing, for a QB, his salary is on a rookie wage scale level. That is always attractive, he is not a vested veteran they have to pay. I am not saying we shouldn't cut him, just saying that the odds of him being picked up as a QB2 is not that low. Lamar Jackson, Jalen Hurts, Kyler Murray, I feel he is smart enough to run their offenses as a QB2, IMO. Granted, he is more valuable for the Colts than the other teams due to his familiarity with Reich's system. 

18 hours ago, chad72 said:

That is the thing, for a QB, his salary is on a rookie wage scale level. That is always attractive, he is not a vested veteran they have to pay. I am not saying we shouldn't cut him, just saying that the odds of him being picked up as a QB2 is not that low. Lamar Jackson, Jalen Hurts, Kyler Murray, I feel he is smart enough to run their offenses as a QB2, IMO. Granted, he is more valuable for the Colts than the other teams due to his familiarity with Reich's system. 

Yes, I was wrong about this. Some teams have kept only one QB on their roster. While I think this is not a smart strategy on their part, it would open up a market for Sam. I guess if there is a possibility Sam could be the heir-apparent, this makes sense. He could also be a trade piece. I don't think you do this just to have a backup QB next year.

1 hour ago, coltsfan1965 said:

Yes, I was wrong about this. Some teams have kept only one QB on their roster. While I think this is not a smart strategy on their part, it would open up a market for Sam. I guess if there is a possibility Sam could be the heir-apparent, this makes sense. He could also be a trade piece. I don't think you do this just to have a backup QB next year.

Who only has one QB?  That seems pretty ridiculous 

Dallas cowboys have one QB on their active roster right now. I imagine bringing Sam back to Texas could of been a cool thing. I am sure one of the guys they released will be added back to the 53.  There is another team or two also with one right now looking for a backup.

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

Who only has one QB?  That seems pretty ridiculous 

Cowboys 

3 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

This actually might be genius as it saves a roster spot. But you can only do it 3 times each so what happens after 6 weeks. Are they waiting for a certain QB to be released.

With Sam's ties to Texas, I hope Ballard is on the phone with Jerry negotiating a trade.  

1 minute ago, Myles said:

With Sam's ties to Texas, I hope Ballard is on the phone with Jerry negotiating a trade.  

Sam is only going to get you a 6th or 7th. Not worth it. But seeing all the young QB claimed today I think he would of been picked up. Ian Book was claimed by the eagles. There were a couple other young QB.

Eason got waived by Seattle and they are signing another QB. Looks like his time in Seattle is over. 

1 minute ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Sam is only going to get you a 6th or 7th. Not worth it. But seeing all the young QB claimed today I think he would of been picked up. Ian Book was claimed by the eagles. There were a couple other young QB.

Eason got waived by Seattle and they are signing another QB. Looks like his time in Seattle is over. 

With it being Jerry, and the Texas ties Sam has, and Jerry probably being a bit desperate, perhaps a 5th round pick could be had.

I dont think he would have cleared waivers, worse QBs than him were claimed

We just dont need him, nobody is going to trade much for him either.  kind of awkward 

They might be able to wait a month or two and put him on the PS then and protect him.  it will be harder for teams to cut someone for a third string qb mid season and then get Sam up to speed and use him.  

If we miss the playoffs with Matt Ryan, I’m all for making Sam the starter next season, just to see what happens.

Best case scenario, he shocks the world and becomes our elite franchise QB. Worst case, he is the second coming of Curtis Painter, we’re 0-17, and we get the 1st overall pick. Either way, we win.

2 minutes ago, DattMavis said:

If we miss the playoffs with Matt Ryan, I’m all for making Sam the starter next season, just to see what happens.

Best case scenario, he shocks the world and becomes our elite franchise QB. Worst case, he is the second coming of Curtis Painter, we’re 0-17, and we get the 1st overall pick. Either way, we win.

Unless you are the coaches and front office that gets fired for going 0-17 and since they are the ones who will make that decision I wouldn’t bet on it.

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I would hold on to Ehlinger for now if I'm the Colts.  If it wasn't for the fact they added a backup QB who won a Super Bowl he would be the backup.  I like how he played this preseason, he was excellent and won that roster spot.

Archived