Ryan 2022 to Wentz 2021  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Yards

2. 2. TDs

3. 3. INTs

4. 4. Sacks

5. 5. QB Wins

Given that Ryan plays all 17.

I think Ryan will throw for more yards, more interceptions, and take more sacks.  I feel pretty confident about these.

TDs are tough, but I think Ryan could have a few more. 

I feel Ryan will have more than 9 wins, but it's close for me.

I also feel Ryan will be a more effective QB than Wentz.

4 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I think Ryan will throw for more yards, more interceptions, and take more sacks.  I feel pretty confident about these.

You need to edit the INT question bc the total is wrong. 

Went over for all of the above. Only one I’m not real sure of is the TD number. He’s only gone over 27 tds like 6 times in his career so that’ll be close. Feel like he will take more sacks and throw a few more picks, but the team will also win more games. Yardage wise he’s also gone over 3700 like every year of his career. Even on last years team where the Falcons would literally have WRs running into each other. Not hyperbole it happened, and sadly a few times.

13 minutes ago, FanOutOfTown said:

Went over for all of the above. Only one I’m not real sure of is the TD number. He’s only gone over 27 tds like 6 times in his career so that’ll be close. Feel like he will take more sacks and throw a few more picks, but the team will also win more games. Yardage wise he’s also gone over 3700 like every year of his career. Even on last years team where the Falcons would literally have WRs running into each other. Not hyperbole it happened, and sadly a few times.

yeah Td's are tough for me.  That's what I was looking at.  He hasn't done it much in a while and I don't really love our pass catchers.   It's a toss up for me. 

Same on yardage.  It would be pretty surprising if he doesn't exceed that. 

One thing about recent yardage though is his teams have usually been playing from behind which can inflate passing yardage.  Hopefully this team won't make a habit of playing behind.  That said,  I think it's a safe bet he goes over CWs total last year. 

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

yeah Td's are tough for me.  That's what I was looking at.  He hasn't done it much in a while and I don't really love our pass catchers.   It's a toss up for me. 

Same on yardage.  It would be pretty surprising if he doesn't exceed that. 

One thing about recent yardage though is his teams have usually been playing from behind which can inflate passing yardage.  Hopefully this team won't make a habit of playing behind.  That said,  I think it's a safe bet he goes over CWs total last year. 

Very true on playing from behind. It’s why he has so many comeback wins in his career. 

46 minutes ago, QB Master said:

How much has Matty Ice played in the pre season so far ?  We don't get much Indy news in Atlanta.

Played about a quarter and a half in first game, will play most of first half Sat. Has been looking very good in practice for the most part, I am very optimistic about Ryan's season!

Im thinking the following…..

600 pass attempts

400 completions

30 TD passes

10  interceptions

As far as I can tell, I’m on the high side for attempts and completions.  Most here seem to think we will throw less than I do.   So I’m curious to see this play out. 

I think he will do as well as Rivers.  Rivers will be his floor.

Rivers 2020

68% cmp

24 td

11 int

4169yds

in 16 games, 11-5 record wildcard playoff birth

Ryan 2022, adding one more game which projects 250 yards, 2 td, 1 int

68% cmp

24 td + 2 td = 26 td

11 int +1 = 12 int

4169yds + 250 yds = 4,419 yards

in 17 games

The one on here that I think will prove to be wrong is sacks.  He takes a lot of sacks, and if we throw a lot, which he always does, and we seem committed to, I think he will take more than 32 sacks.

At best we are going to have a rough time at LT in many games.  Some were talking about Pryor just has to be as good as Fish which isn't  a high bar.  

Even then, I still think Ryan will get sacked fairly regularly, which doesn't necessarily have to hurt the team's chances. 

On 8/24/2022 at 3:47 PM, FanOutOfTown said:

I would say the TD's may be a little lower because he has a running game when it's close. Defenses may be on skates a bit because we have seen TD runs when a pass is expected. Again, it's that darned decision-making thing which I think Matt will do great.

if i remember last year, we had ALOT of checkdown opportunies carson wentz just refused to take. i dont hold negative feelings towards carson, but matts going to extend those drives for us. alot of people like to come in and rag on our wr group. but we were a top 10 point scoring offense last year. and bringing back a better group and more experience with matt and we are only going to get better. reich is definately an above average coach whos been getting the most out of his guys. imo

I have watched Matty play since he started with the Falcons. He needs a decent pocket and good receivers. Give him that and he and the Colts will be in it at the end of the season. He is a guy that will take a hit to get a throw out if he sees it. 

I thought he was sharp on his throws and his delivery was on point. I would like to see him relying on the running game more and having less yards but more wins.. Super pumped to see the Colts this season.

• 1 month later...

Anyone want to revise sack totals?  Ryan is on pace to take about 65 for the year lol.  Won’t be that high but will be more than 32.  He should have more yards.  TDs I’m leaning no now.

he’s gonna get some better but has to get a lot better if we are going to finish better than last year.

our oline was as bad or worse last year to start the year with so many out and recovering from TC issues.  We have an incompetent player physically in the line right now in Pinter.  And none of the rest of the guys have been great.

10 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Anyone want to revise sack totals?  Ryan is on pace to take about 65 for the year lol.  Won’t be that high but will be more than 32.  He should have more yards.  TDs I’m leaning no now.

he’s gonna get some better but has to get a lot better if we are going to finish better than last year.

our oline was as bad or worse last year to start the year with so many out and recovering from TC issues.  We have an incompetent player physically in the line right now in Pinter.  And none of the rest of the guys have been great.

His OL last season was worse. 

His protection rate last season was 32nd. 

This year, 22nd so far. 

Scheme is shallower this year.

So expect lower yards unless we see a lot of meaningless yards (comeback attempts). Likely less TDs. More INTs.

On 8/24/2022 at 11:47 AM, Nickster said:

He ain't going to make it past the next game if they don't get the Oline fixed. Fire Strausswr. Never liked him and their growth stopped when they let what's his name go. 

11 hours ago, EastStreet said:

His OL last season was worse. 

His protection rate last season was 32nd. 

This year, 22nd so far. 

Scheme is shallower this year.

So expect lower yards unless we see a lot of meaningless yards (comeback attempts). Likely less TDs. More INTs.

You think Ryan's oline was worse in the 1st four games last year than what we were running out there?   Just gonna have to disagree with you on that.  We had Sam Tevi at LT for the love of Pete. 

How do shallower schemes result in more sacks and INTs?  

Ryan is on pace to throw for more yds. 

10 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

He ain't going to make it past the next game if they don't get the Oline fixed. Fire Strausswr. Never liked him and their growth stopped when they let what's his name go. 

Gooogs

You are talking about DeGuglielmo right? I personally don't know why we fired him tbh.

1 hour ago, Chucklez said:

Gooogs

You are talking about DeGuglielmo right? I personally don't know why we fired him tbh.

Too much of a Hard Adz was the word on the street. 

Have no idea why were aren't picking up blitzes though.  It's either Kelly, or Ryan's fault.

Taylor is terrible in pass pro, but he's a real smart guy and I would assume he knows his assignments.  It was ugly Sunday.

Other teams will probably pick up on it to.  Play gaps, blitz the gaps you don't have a linemen in to control JT at the LOS, and trust that the Colts talent isn't going to burn you over the top.

We surely won't be that bad in the future at picking out hot reads though.  I will be interested to see what TN tries defensively.  They don't blitz at one of the higher rates.  Around our number. 

10 hours ago, Nickster said:

You think Ryan's oline was worse in the 1st four games last year than what we were running out there?   Just gonna have to disagree with you on that.  We had Sam Tevi at LT for the love of Pete. 

How do shallower schemes result in more sacks and INTs?  

Ryan is on pace to throw for more yds. 

First 3 games last year, 31 pressures. This year, 37. Difference is one year (Jax). Wentz 39 last year. 

Yes, shallow schemes result in sacks (and INTs)... Shallow O equates to shallow D coverage. Lanes are crowded for QB/WR/TE/RB, and is also easier to defend running. That's 101 stuff. Opponents have another year of film on Reich.... Teams will do same until Reich changes. Good luck with that. And Strausser needs go more power/man, instead of all the cute and complex blocking schemes. Our coaching sucks. 

Current season projections for Matt Ryan just under a quarter the way to the end of the season.

Yds  4700

TDs  22

INTS  22

SACKS 63

WINS  6

Fumbles 38  lol

QBR  41.2  EESH

Left Handed Passes   0

Getting the ball out quicker.  UHHH RESOUNDING FRIGGIN NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The ole Matt Ryan hype on here ain't aging well. 

6 hours ago, Nickster said:

Current season projections for Matt Ryan just under a quarter the way to the end of the season.

Yds  4700

TDs  22

INTS  22

SACKS 63

WINS  6

Fumbles 38  lol

QBR  41.2  EESH

Left Handed Passes   0

Getting the ball out quicker.  UHHH RESOUNDING FRIGGIN NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The ole Matt Ryan hype on here ain't aging well. 

2022 - Ryan is #15 (2.78) in TtT (most/longest). Wentz is #12 (2.81) is 0.03 away. 

2021 - Ryan was #24 (2.77) in TtT last season. Wentz was #13 (2.83), only 0.06 from away.

in 2020, Ryan was 2.87......

So....

• Ryan's TtT is not horrible. He's average this year.
  • He is almost identical to last year. And is quicker from 2020. So why would expect quicker?
  • Wentz was not horrible either in TtT (this year or last). In the mid 1/3. Identical too vs last year. And Wentz's current OL is worse (compared to Ryan's OL this year)

Perhaps a new O scheme helps. 

16 hours ago, EastStreet said:

2022 - Ryan is #15 (2.78) in TtT (most/longest). Wentz is #12 (2.81) is 0.03 away. 

2021 - Ryan was #24 (2.77) in TtT last season. Wentz was #13 (2.83), only 0.06 from away.

in 2020, Ryan was 2.87......

So....

• Ryan's TtT is not horrible. He's average this year.
  • He is almost identical to last year. And is quicker from 2020. So why would expect quicker?
  • Wentz was not horrible either in TtT (this year or last). In the mid 1/3. Identical too vs last year. And Wentz's current OL is worse (compared to Ryan's OL this year)

Perhaps a new O scheme helps. 

The narrative on here from a lot of the Unicorn and Sherbert Warriors was Ryan was going to get the ball out quick even though there is no evidence that he'd ever done that before.  He's average TTT.  But he's mostly likely slower than that because most of the players with longer TTT are scramblers including Wentz.

I was pretty skeptical of the quick read/release thing looking at Ryan's #'s (Don't know how many games of his I've watched, not many ever), and from what I've seen so far, he is neither reads nor releases quickly.

Archived