Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Breaking news: Watson Suspended 11 games ((Merge))

2006Coltsbestever

Is he being punished by the NFL for defaming the NFL HOU organization for publicly eluding to it being a racially biased organization, by him both making statements and performing actions like not reporting to work, or is he being punished by the NFL for doing something in his personal life that was determined to not have been a crime (however disgusting or offensive it may have been)?

Just asking. 

There are some people who won't be happy with the news. They think he should have gotten a year suspension, then others who think it's too much. I expected something like this. 

Will the Browns go with Brissett or try to get another quarterback? Rumors have been going around about Garoppolo to the Browns. Don't know how accurate that is. 

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Is he being punished by the NFL for defaming the NFL HOU organization for publicly eluding to it being a racially biased organization, by him both making statements and performing actions like not reporting to work, or is he being punished by the NFL for doing something in his personal life that was determined to not have been a crime (however disgusting or offensive it may have been)?

Just asking. 

Not really sure Doug. I know a lot about the law and how companies work as well with their rules/unions, etc.. I thought 8 games and a 5 million dollar fine was appropriate and said that from day 1. My punishment would have probably pleased most everyone, pleased some women and IMO that would've wrecked the Browns season too. I just based that on, no criminal charges were filed against Watson but he offended a lot of women and is one of the faces of the NFL. He did a lot of immoral acts (can't do that as a face of the NFL) and you just can't make the NFL look bad and offend so many women. 11 games and a 5 million dollar fine is a good punishment IMO, just based on how everything went down. I was thinking my 8 games would wreck the Browns season as well but 11 games definitely will, and make Watson even think longer about what he did. I think Goodell made it 11 instead of something like 8 or 9 just to make sure Watson could feel bad about wrecking the Browns season. 

12 minutes ago, teganslaw said:

There are some people who won't be happy with the news. They think he should have gotten a year suspension, then others who think it's too much. I expected something like this. 

Will the Browns go with Brissett or try to get another quarterback? Rumors have been going around about Garoppolo to the Browns. Don't know how accurate that is. 

11 and 5 Mill is probably right, I had it as 8 and 5 Mill fine before this started. 6 and no fine was comical, that wasn't enough. They may go after Jimmy?

21 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Just asking. 

Probably a combination of both.  You cannot do what he did and not expect repercussions.  

I am happy with this.   Browns fans won't be.  

49 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

At that point they will probably be 3-8 or 4-7 so who cares lmao . Their season is wrecked. I would like to see JB play well but he is pretty much a backup that can you win maybe a game or 2 on the fly at this point in his career.

I always thought of Brisset as a .500 QB if on a good team.  The Browns area good team.   I can see them going 6-5 or 5-6 before Watson starts.  So I guess I give them an outside shot at making the playoffs. 

Great, can’t wait for Snyder’s punishment *rolls eyes*

I think this is fair.  I thought a year was going to be his punishment.  NFL and NFLPA met in the middle.  Took half of his salary from last year, out for majority of the year, and has to go to class and probably some community work.

if I’m the browns, I’m trading for Garrapollo and shipping him off by the trade deadline to recoup what it took to get him.  Works for both sides.  Garrapollo will keep them competitive until Watson gets back.  If Garapollo did it with the 49ers, he can definitely do it with the browns.  By the trade deadline, ship him off to a team that needs a qb (injuries, moving on, etc) and hope brisett can hold the ship down until watson gets back.

1 hour ago, smittywerb said:

Great, can’t wait for Snyder’s punishment *rolls eyes*

I think this is fair.  I thought a year was going to be his punishment.  NFL and NFLPA met in the middle.  Took half of his salary from last year, out for majority of the year, and has to go to class and probably some community work.

if I’m the browns, I’m trading for Garrapollo and shipping him off by the trade deadline to recoup what it took to get him.  Works for both sides.  Garrapollo will keep them competitive until Watson gets back.  If Garapollo did it with the 49ers, he can definitely do it with the browns.  By the trade deadline, ship him off to a team that needs a qb (injuries, moving on, etc) and hope brisett can hold the ship down until watson gets back.

I think in the future this will even affect owners, good verdict. I thought 8 games and a 5 mill fine would've been ok but Watson and the union seem  ok with 11.

2 hours ago, Myles said:

I always thought of Brisset as a .500 QB if on a good team.  The Browns area good team.   I can see them going 6-5 or 5-6 before Watson starts.  So I guess I give them an outside shot at making the playoffs. 

I like Brissett but I am just going by their schedule:

at Panthers - L, this is Baker's SB

Jets - W

Steelers - L, because they always to the Steelers lmao 

at Falcons - W (2-2 at that point)

Chargers - L

Patriots - L

at Ravens - L

Bengals - L

at Dolphins - W = only because they will be due for a win.

at Bills - L

Bucs - L

-I see 3-8 here because of the schedule. JB will be .500 through 4 games then the schedule is murderous!

• NFLfan changed the title to Breaking news: Watson Suspended 11 games ((Merge))

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34412381/source-cleveland-browns-qb-deshaun-watson-suspended-11-games-fined-5m-settlement-nfl-nflpa

I would have felt better about it had he not said what he says here.  No Deshaun you did not prove your innocence from the legal side.  The grand jury didn’t think there was enough evidence to indict you.  That’s not the samething as being found innocent.  In fact the judge who handled this for the NFL pretty much said yeah the NFL proved you did it they just have sat bad Precedent and I am bound by that.

Maybe I am wrong,  I don’t know him, but he comes across as someone who didn’t learn a lesson from all this and is basically doing what he has to to get his huge contract to me. That’s just my opinion though.  

13 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I like Brissett but I am just going by their schedule:

at Panthers - L, this is Baker's SB

Jets - W

Steelers - L, because they always to the Steelers lmao 

at Falcons - W (2-2 at that point)

Chargers - L

Patriots - L

at Ravens - L

Bengals - L

at Dolphins - W = only because they will be due for a win.

at Bills - L

Bucs - L

-I see 3-8 here because of the schedule. JB will be .500 through 4 games then the schedule is murderous!

Yeah, I can see that.  The panthers and Steelers games could be W's though bringing them to 5-6.

5 hours ago, Myles said:

Yeah, I can see that.  The panthers and Steelers games could be W's though bringing them to 5-6.

Yeah I can see 4-7, 5-6 is best case scenario. If they beat Carolina in the opener that will really help matters.

Regarding the verdict, I have been watching ESPN all morning and listening to CBS radio, and most think 11 games and a 5 million dollar fine was right. I am ok with it. I was pushing for 8 games and a 5 million dollar fine, so he got a little more than I was pushing for. I factored in = no Criminal charges, he did act immorally, he made the NFL look bad, he offended at least 60 women and settled with 24 civilly, NFL is their own company so rules are rules, and Goodell could have went 0 games or 17 games. So I was thinking 8 from the start = middle ground, I was close so not bad for not being a real life lawyer Season 4 Episode 21 GIF by The Simpsons

On 8/18/2022 at 2:31 PM, Happy2BeHere said:

I wonder if Watson will be the next Tiger Woods…top of your game until the scandal then the immediate decline into irrelevance…

I doubt it. The mental part of the game is far more important in golf for one, and unlike Woods, Watson probably doesn't think what he did was much of anything bad at all. Woods is a P O S, but Watson makes even him look good...

This is just such a typical Browns situation. Maybe it will work out in the end, but even if he returns to form, they paid too much IMO

• 2 weeks later...

Archived