Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If the Colts stay healthy will they make the AFC Title Game?

If the Colts stay healthy will they make the AFC Title Game?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. If the Colts stay healthy will they make the AFC Title Game?

No.   And I’d be thrilled to be wrong.   

Having said that, if the Colts win the South, and we win a playoff game, does THAT get you to the championship game?   Cuz if it does,  then I may have to change my vote!   :thmup:

• Like 4

I voted yes, but under the condition that they have to win the division. Makes the path much easier. People can list off how the Bills, Chiefs, Chargers, Bengals, and others like Broncos or Raiders may be better, which they may or may not. I counter that by saying we won’t have to beat all of them come playoff time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am just not sold on the Gus Bradley defense to stop elite Os in this league when it comes to playoff time. Each division has one - Bills, Chiefs, Bengals and Bradley's Ds don't do the best vs teams that have rushing QBs or receiving RBs/TEs though they do well vs WRs.

Plus, I feel the AFC South winner will be a #3 or #4 seed, and the ceiling is the divisional round, with the wild card round being the floor for this team. Of course, I would love to be wrong but this is how I see it.

• Like 2

Will? idk.. I voted yes lol.

Can, though (I know you didn't ask this)? Absolutely. I think too many people are caught up in comparing depth charts with these on-paper powerhouses, and subsequently concluding that we have no shot. Anyone can get got. We've hung with the top of the top in matchups these past couple of years, sometimes winning, sometimes BARELY losing. Top teams don't just impose their will and show the tier break against us. 

Sorry haha I know YOU didn't do this, but it's just annoying to see some give us NO shot. Because why not?

• Like 1

Voted yes because I like to be an optimist and I do feel like this team wins the division. Get into playoffs and its all fair game. 

There are a ton of great teams in the AFC,  many in the same division. Top seed in AFC is going to have at least 4 losses IMO if not more. Get that top seed spot and win a single game, boom AFC championship baby. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If the Colts stay healthy will they make the AFC Title Game? Pretty simple Yes or No.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but the likely scenario is we don't make the AFC Championship. We might win the AFC South, there's a good chance we'll make it to the wildcard game, but I don't see us winning two playoff games to get to the AFC Championship as of now. I just don't. The teams that are of that quality have elite QBs, and you know what those types of teams do to us. The whole AFC West is a threat, the Ravens are a threat, the Bengals are a threat, the Bills are a threat, and the Titans are a threat. 

I just don't see two straight wins against two of those teams. I don't trust Reich enough that he won't make a critical mistake. I'm always willing to be proven wrong, but this comes down to a lack of an elite QB, a lack of solid receivers besides Pittman, and a coach who is privy to making mistakes at any time.

I'll say we make the playoffs, win the wildcard game, and lose in the divisional round.

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, 07dleigh said:

Will? idk.. I voted yes lol.

Can, though (I know you didn't ask this)? Absolutely. I think too many people are caught up in comparing depth charts with these on-paper powerhouses, and subsequently concluding that we have no shot. Anyone can get got. We've hung with the top of the top in matchups these past couple of years, sometimes winning, sometimes BARELY losing. Top teams don't just impose their will and show the tier break against us. 

Sorry haha I know YOU didn't do this, but it's just annoying to see some give us NO shot. Because why not?

I made it a yes or no question just to put some under pressure to make a choice lmao . I know it is a tough question because making it that far takes a lot of luck but at least I did add "Colts stay healthy" part.

7 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm not saying it's impossible, but the likely scenario is we don't make the AFC Championship. We might win the AFC South, there's a good chance we'll make it to the wildcard game, but I don't see us winning two playoff games to get to the AFC Championship as of now. I just don't. The teams that are of that quality have elite QBs, and you know what those types of teams do to us. The whole AFC West is a threat, the Ravens are a threat, the Bengals are a threat, the Bills are a threat, and the Titans are a threat. 

I just don't see two straight wins against two of those teams. I don't trust Reich enough that he won't make a critical mistake. I'm always willing to be proven wrong, but this comes down to a lack of an elite QB, a lack of solid receivers besides Pittman, and a coach who is privy to making mistakes at any time.

I'll say we make the playoffs, win the wildcard game, and lose in the divisional round.

That is fair, making it that far will be tough but I think we can. See if my question would've been 'will we make the SB if healthy' that would've been easier for most. All though we could even do that. 

• Like 1

I don't think we're as bad as some make us out to be. But I also don't think we're as good either. The truth is probably somewhere in between. I expect us to lose and win games we shouldn't, similar to last year. Hoping Matt's leadership will be the difference and will be enough to at least get us into the playoffs this year. Everything past that will be icing on the cake. 

Irsay and his team are aspiring for even more than just making it to the title game, which honestly every team should be playing to win it all every season. There are no guarantees in this life, so you have to make best with what you have. Dream away, I say. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have to be honest, I did not have Cincy making the playoffs last year and I am decent at predicting normally. 

I dont think anybody predicted the Bengals run. Just goes to show how important good quarterback play is in this league and how far a great one can take you. I'm not sold on Ryan being able to bring the level of play required to reach the afcc at his age. His last 2 years in Atlanta showed a pretty obvious decline. Mind you they had terrible oline play. I hope to be proven wrong though.

There are actually several good teams in the AFC. Chiefs, Bills and Bengals, secondarily, the Patriots. The questions are (1) can the defense get better than it's mediocrity or up and down 2021 season. (2) Facing facts, Ryan avg'd 25 tds and 11 ints the last 5 years with more weapons than Wentz' 27 tds and 7 ints last year. Both o lines were bad pass blocking last year (Colts and Falcons). Hearing that Ryan's leadership is a positive may help things, but let's face it, we need better than 25 tds and 11 ints at the most important position in football. Trying to be optimistic and hope Ryan can hit for at least 30 tds and hold ints to 10, but he's done that only once in the past 5 seasons and is older obviously. A big question mark, still hoping though.

• Like 1

I voted yes. 

I think this team should win 5 games minimum (maybe all 6) in the division and win it. I'd go as far to say anything less than that is a failure for the season. The Texans are not better, while I expect the Titans to be competitive I think they are worse this year, and I while I think the Jaguars can be a lot better than people expect now that they have a proven HC (and if Trevor Lawrence steps up) the Colts should still sweep them. So just being in the AFC South will give them an advantage in the standings/seeding if the Colts perform as expected. 

If they were to get the 1 seed it's 1 win and in the AFC title game while any other seed requires 2 wins to get to the AFC title game. Either way the Colts have a roster that can get it done in the playoffs. 

Lots of good teams in the AFC but you only have to beat 2 of them at most to get to the AFC title game. The Colts have the talent to do it. They beat some really good team last year despite some areas that I think have been upgraded for this year. They are not head and shoulders over the other teams in the conference but I think they have what is needed to get to the AFC title game this year. And I think we should have very high expectations for the team this year.  

Had to vote NO.

A heck of a lot of other things are going to have to go almost perfectly, not just health.

Love your optimistic outlook, good luck with your bet!!!

I'd be over the moon if we win the South and a home playoff game...

beyond that is ecstasy!

• Like 1

Heart says: Yes

Brain says: No

A lot of new moving parts. Hoping they can get a flow going. I'm anxiously awaiting to see what the LT situation will become with Pryor and hoping we can get us some pass rush with Ngakoue.

voted. no for obvious reasons Frank has been the Colts kryptonite ever since Luck hung up the shoes for good.. never having the team prepared at the beginning of Seasons and always playing down to weaker Opposition. doesn't matter who the QB is Frank will always find someway to screw the play calling up like always. However if we do manage to somehow win in Jacksonville i may change my tone a bit Classic Animation Decisions GIF by Challenger

I voted no.   Mostly because of the word "will".    If it was "can" I would have voted yes.   

Currently the Colts have allot to prove which gives me some doubt.

New defense

Win at Jacksonville

Win first game

Reich's weird play calling at times

New QB

OL

WR's

I do think they could make a positive of all those, but they still have to prove it.  

• Like 2

I voted no bc making the conference championship is elite. I don’t think we are an elite team beyond paper and need to wait and see how this plays out. The first 4 games will tell us everything about our potential. If we have a winning record then the sky is the limit. If we are .500 or under then it looks like it will be the same story with a different cast.  

I don’t want to turn this into a Frank bashing thread but he is the X factor. I do think we win the division this year. We are not an explosive team and will rely on playing fundamentally sound football with good coaching.  I think he cost us 2 games like he has nearly every year.  That’s the difference between 1-2 seed and going on the road in the divisional round of the playoffs. If we want to seriously make the AFC championship, we will need to be one of the top two seeds. There is no way I trust Frank to out coach his opponent in a close playoff game on the road. There are reports he is letting Ryan run a lot of things so maybe this year is different.  I will enjoy watching it all unfold to see if my gut is right on this one.  Even if it is, winning the division is still a great year. 

I think the Colts are a better team this year but I think there are other AFC teams that got better too - Raiders, Broncos, Dolphins, Chargers to name a few playoff/fringe playoff teams.

I think winning the division is possible (and should happen) but I'm not as confident against those other teams in round 1 or 2.

3 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

Listen man, I just want to win the first game for once 

So true. I remember back in the golden years I think I attended about a dozen opening day games and I rarely remember losing any of them.