Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A sleeper emerges on Colts defensive line. R.J. McIntosh

Bolt Colt

Gus Bradley brought in the attack front, a penetrating style of defensive line play based on getting off the ball and into the opposing backfield. Under Bradley and position coach Nate Ollie, the Colts defensive line isn’t supposed to worry about reading blocks or occupying blockers. The way McIntosh played when he made himself into an NFL prospect in the first place.

Good read:

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2022/08/18/colts-r-j-mcintosh-emerges-as-a-sleeper-on-defensive-line/65406803007/

Can always use a good defensive lineman.

• Like 3

What about the guy that was with the Patriots, Byron Cowart-Defensive Lineman. Has anyone heard anything on him?

He was drafted in 2019 in the fifth round by the Patriots.

He was released and we picked him up July 23, 2022, 

8 hours ago, Bolt Colt said:

Gus Bradley brought in the attack front, a penetrating style of defensive line play based on getting off the ball and into the opposing backfield. Under Bradley and position coach Nate Ollie, the Colts defensive line isn’t supposed to worry about reading blocks or occupying blockers. The way McIntosh played when he made himself into an NFL prospect in the first place.

Good read:

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2022/08/18/colts-r-j-mcintosh-emerges-as-a-sleeper-on-defensive-line/65406803007/

Can always use a good defensive lineman.

Had my eye on him last week. He was penetrating. 

• Like 1

I’m a big Miami hurricanes fan and believe I posted before that McIntosh was turning into a very good DT in college.

He was key piece on the team that destroyed the Quenton Nelson, Mike Glinchey team 41-8 in 2017. 

McIntosh probably should have returned to school but was drafted. He had health issues with the giants and lost a bunch of weight etc…. If he is back to form, he is a talented player. 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Bolt Colt said:

What about the guy that was with the Patriots, Byron Cowart-Defensive Lineman. Has anyone heard anything on him?

He was drafted in 2019 in the fifth round by the Patriots.

He was released and we picked him up July 23, 2022, 

Cowart looked good last week vs Buffalo and has supposedly been getting most of the 2nd team snaps. I wouldn't be surprised to see either Cowart or McIntosh on the final 53. We've got a crowded DL room though so we shall see. They are both worthy of being on someone's 53 imo.

• Like 1

Best wishes to all of the players in training camp trying to win a roster spot this season.  Several names are popping up as "sleepers" and/or "opening eyes".

It will be interesting to see the difference from the final cut-down roster - to the waiver wire additions - to the practice squad - to the opening day roster.

22 hours ago, bertjones7 said:

I’m a big Miami hurricanes fan and believe I posted before that McIntosh was turning into a very good DT in college.

He was key piece on the team that destroyed the Quenton Nelson, Mike Glinchey team 41-8 in 2017. 

McIntosh probably should have returned to school but was drafted. He had health issues with the giants and lost a bunch of weight etc…. If he is back to form, he is a talented player. 

Same here!!! Him and Joe Jackson had great night. We are kings of kids leaving too early at The U

• Like 1

On 8/18/2022 at 3:52 PM, LiveAndLetAddai said:

I love it!  A diamond in the rough!  I am really liking the D'line and curious what Johnson can do as Grover's backup.  Might need to pack on a few more lbs?

We don’t really have any run stuffers besides Grover, who is our heaviest DT at 315lbs. 
  I wonder if they’re concerned at all about getting a “big fatty”?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

We don’t really have any run stuffers besides Grover, who is our heaviest DT at 315lbs. 
  I wonder if they’re concerned at all about getting a “big fatty”?

Johnson, with a few trips to a waffle and chicken place could possibly fit that backup spot?  Not sure, but agree, imvho a competent backup to Grover would make this am very good defensive line...

1 hour ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Same here!!! Him and Joe Jackson had great night. We are kings of kids leaving too early at The U

Jonathan Garvin as well.

Let’s hope Mario can finally turn it around. They need to prove it on the field but he has brought a whole new mentality to the program

- they hired the Clemson AD

- hired Alonzo Highsmith from the NFL as chief of staff

- finally a legit coaching staff with Kevin Steele as DC and Gattis as OC. One of the best OL

coaches in the country, Charlie strong as LB coach, hired away UGA DB coach

- built up off field staff. Hall of famer Jason Taylor is an off field coach focusing on DEs

- investing $170 mil in facilities

- elite strength and conditioning and nutrition program

- at the forefront of NIL 

- recruiting is going extremely well

Finally have some hope after 20 years of horrible coaching hires

I want the colts and canes to win some championships. It has been too long. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bertjones7 said:

Jonathan Garvin as well.

Let’s hope Mario can finally turn it around. They need to prove it on the field but he has brought a whole new mentality to the program

- finally a legit coaching staff with Kevin Steele as DC and Gattis as OC. One of the best OL

- built up off field staff. Hall of famer Jason Taylor is an off field coach focusing on DEs

I’m cautiously optimistic. It’s been a rough 15+ years

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

Ben Banagou has to be one of the most disappointing players so far. Same with Kyle Granson. 

Huh?

Did you know Granson is 2nd overall in receptions for all receivers this camp?  He’s behind only Pittman, otherwise ahead of everyone else.   

As for BB….  Mostly agree, except the last two weeks ir so he’s had more good days as judged by positive tweets by media and that seems to have gone unnoticed by some… 

4 hours ago, bertjones7 said:

Jonathan Garvin as well.

Miami is one of the secondary teams I loosely follow and root for. I hope they got it together and can stay relevant. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?

Did you know Granson is 2nd overall in receptions for all receivers this camp?  He’s behind only Pittman, otherwise ahead of everyone else.   

As for BB….  Mostly agree, except the last two weeks ir so he’s had more good days as judged by positive tweets by media and that seems to have gone unnoticed by some… 

Yeah he has gotten a lot of volume as well. its a TE centered offense. With that being said, he has also consistently dropped the ball. Trust me, I just like you, want him to be a good TE. Gut feeling right now is that he doesn't pan out. I'm usually pretty positive about Colts young players, I just don't think Granson will develop into much. 

also here is a good video to watch to get some eyes on our DL in 1v1, 1v2 situations. Overall, I really was not impressed with what i saw from Ben here. I know it's a limited sample, but for where he was taken in the draft compared to where he is now has bust written all over. it will literally take a 5 - 7 sack season for him to get resigned here. imo