Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Frank Reich not worried about receivers after preseason performance.

Bolt Colt

Speaking with the media on Sunday, Reich admitted that he didn’t see the receivers’ inability to get separation as much of a problem because the team wasn’t necessarily trying to scheme guys open. Indy was essentially just calling vanilla offensive plays to get the team some meaningful reps without revealing much of the playbook.

Rest of the article is in the link below.

https://horseshoeheroes.com/2022/08/15/frank-reich-reveals-colts-unworried-receivers-underwhelming-preseason-performance/

Makes sense to me. Dont show your hand as they say.

Dog Poker GIF

I understand not scheming WR's open in the preseason, but if they can't win basic 1 on 1's, that's an issue that needs addressed. Especially if it's against 2nd stringers. 

Not in freak out mode by any means, but there should be a lot more attn being paid to this. Maybe it is, and the team isn't letting on, but here's hoping they are working on getting separation exclusively in practice. 

I'm never too concerned about things in preseason games.

They are an "evaluation exhibition" - nothing more and nothing less.

This is the time that the back end of the roster and the practice squad players make their cases to hang around in Indianapolis this fall.

I'm still worried about the wide receivers, even if Frank says he isn't. 

Here's what he was saying during the preseason last year:

"I think Jacob (Eason) earned that spot," Reich said of the Colts' 2020 fourth-round pick. "I think he's done a nice job. Really happy with his progress and happy for him. Jacob's handled himself like a pro."

"Head coach Frank Reich told reporters on Wednesday that Davenport is the frontrunner for the spot until Fisher returns.

“Those guys have gotten a ton of reps. Julién (Davenport) has come in and done a good job,” Reich said Wednesday. “All of the guys have done well, I think Julién has established himself there at the left tackle position, but we feel good about the other guys that have been repping out there as well. Right now I’d say Julién has that edge there and so we feel great about the depth there.”

12 hours ago, Bolt Colt said:

Speaking with the media on Sunday, Reich admitted that he didn’t see the receivers’ inability to get separation as much of a problem because the team wasn’t necessarily trying to scheme guys open. Indy was essentially just calling vanilla offensive plays to get the team some meaningful reps without revealing much of the playbook.

https://horseshoeheroes.com/2022/08/15/frank-reich-reveals-colts-unworried-receivers-underwhelming-preseason-performance/

Dog Poker GIF

I don't understand scheming to get open. Is he trying to tell me without scheming, these guy can't open?

8 hours ago, BeanDiasucci said:

"I think Jacob (Eason) earned that spot," Reich said of the Colts' 2020 fourth-round pick. "I think he's done a nice job. Really happy with his progress and happy for him. Jacob's handled himself like a pro."

"Head coach Frank Reich told reporters on Wednesday that Davenport is the frontrunner for the spot until Fisher returns.

“Those guys have gotten a ton of reps. Julién (Davenport) has come in and done a good job,” Reich said Wednesday. “All of the guys have done well, I think Julién has established himself there at the left tackle position, but we feel good about the other guys that have been repping out there as well. Right now I’d say Julién has that edge there and so we feel great about the depth there.”

I like Frank, but everything that come out of his mouth is a lie lol. He is not lying per sae but he is just so over the top positive about everyone.

Sorta feel like this whole separation thing is being overblown. We ran a basic vanilla offense without our best offensive player. Of course guys weren’t running wide open down field. The 1st team was just looking to get game action and not get hurt. Mission accomplished so on to next week.

21 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

I understand not scheming WR's open in the preseason, but if they can't win basic 1 on 1's, that's an issue that needs addressed. Especially if it's against 2nd stringers. 

Not in freak out mode by any means, but there should be a lot more attn being paid to this. Maybe it is, and the team isn't letting on, but here's hoping they are working on getting separation exclusively in practice. 

Did you not see the mugging that Pittman and Pierce dealt with on those two plays. It was as physical as you can get. Ryan quickly threw into it with a less than perfectly placed ball. You whine about it, but we put it on tape and keep working and coaching. Campbells play was also physical and a tight window and we move on. Ryan will have more time when his great RB puts some fear in the D. 

Even if our pass protection is about average, Ryan will get his share.

Why?

THIS year we have a QB that can read defenses and will execute FB 101.

21 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

Scared Season 1 GIF by FOX TV

9 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I don't understand scheming to get open. Is he trying to tell me without scheming, these guy can't open?

Did you enjoy the excellent Reggie like sideline route PIERCE ran, it was a great route and catch. Pittman got himself open for a nice one and surely even you had to LOVE watching Granson fly across the field for his big gainer? 

We have some Scheming going on on this Thread, and as so often is the case, it is dull and frivolous.

3 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Did you enjoy the excellent Reggie like sideline route PIERCE ran, it was a great route and catch. Pittman got himself open for a nice one and surely even you had to LOVE watching Granson fly across the field for his big gainer? 

We have some Scheming going on on this Thread, and as so often is the case, it is dull and frivolous.

Bill Nye Nod GIF

3 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Did you not see the mugging that Pittman and Pierce dealt with on those two plays. It was as physical as you can get. Ryan quickly threw into it with a less than perfectly placed ball. You whine about it, but we put it on tape and keep working and coaching. Campbells play was also physical and a tight window and we move on. Ryan will have more time when his great RB puts some fear in the D. 

Even if our pass protection is about average, Ryan will get his share.

Why?

THIS year we have a QB that can read defenses and will execute FB 101.

Not sure how you could misconstrue my post as to me whining, but ok lol

Also, who's "we" ?

On 8/15/2022 at 3:19 PM, BeanDiasucci said:

People struggle translating Coachspeak lol.

I’ve seen multiple 22 film clips from Saturday showing receivers that were open but Ryan took the check downs. People are freaking out over four measly possessions in the most vanilla preseason game of the year.  Four possessions that were also bogged down by penalties.  The offense will look so much different with JT and Hines on the field together. 

1 hour ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

I’ve seen multiple 22 film clips from Saturday showing receivers that were open but Ryan took the check downs. People are freaking out over four measly possessions in the most vanilla preseason game of the year.  Four possessions that were also bogged down by penalties.  The offense will look so much different with JT and Hines on the field together. 

Not to mention when the QB and coach have both said they were actively trying not to tip their hand for the regular season.  I agree people jumping off the bridge because of one pre-season game need to take a deep breath and relax.  It doesn’t mean the offense will rival the 2003 Colts offense but it will probably be able to hold its own.

On 8/16/2022 at 12:41 AM, Moosejawcolt said:

I like Frank, but everything that come out of his mouth is a lie lol. He is not lying per sae but he is just so over the top positive about everyone.

I know right.  You’d almost think his job was to coach guys up and get them to believe in themselves so they can perform their best.  The nerve of that man!  Who does he think he is a pro football coach?

8 hours ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

Might not be apples to apples. When the Rams went to the SB vs the Patriots in 2018 season, pretty much most of the first team offense was benched for pre-season. Once the regular season came along, Goff and Gurley and the others hit the ground running just fine in a prolific fashion. Until you see the first quarter of the season (which is important for us given our history of slow starts), we can't really make big decisions on the roster's adequacies and shortcomings, IMO.

On 8/16/2022 at 8:26 AM, FanOutOfTown said:

Sorta feel like this whole separation thing is being overblown. We ran a basic vanilla offense without our best offensive player. Of course guys weren’t running wide open down field. The 1st team was just looking to get game action and not get hurt. Mission accomplished so on to next week.

Not directed at you personally but I keep seeing these comments and I can't make sense of this angle. Ill grant you we didnt have JT but the Bills had basically 0 first team defenders out there and they still shut this offense down.

I get there was no game plan but that goes both ways. That's like the equivalent of 5 guys showing up to play another 5 guys in a game of basketball. Neither team had a game plan, both teams put our maximum effort and both teams know the game is meaningless and Team A dominates team B. That should tell us nothing about the players on Team A and B?

I suppose someone can say the colts players weren't giving maximum effort, in which case, Frank should be fired on the spot. The preseason is to evaluate players in live reps vs other players that are putting out max effort to make a team and yet...those reps don't matter for some reason when the Colts players look like trash. 

2 hours ago, Mitch Connors said:

Not directed at you personally but I keep seeing these comments and I can't make sense of this angle. Ill grant you we didnt have JT but the Bills had basically 0 first team defenders out there and they still shut this offense down.

I get there was no game plan but that goes both ways. That's like the equivalent of 5 guys showing up to play another 5 guys in a game of basketball. Neither team had a game plan, both teams put our maximum effort and both teams know the game is meaningless and Team A dominates team B. That should tell us nothing about the players on Team A and B?

I suppose someone can say the colts players weren't giving maximum effort, in which case, Frank should be fired on the spot. The preseason is to evaluate players in live reps vs other players that are putting out max effort to make a team and yet...those reps don't matter for some reason when the Colts players look like trash. 

Nah I don’t see the correlation that looking bad in preseason means team A is better than team B. I mentioned it before but the Ravens haven’t lost in the preseason since 2016. Are they the best team in football? Nah in fact they’ve only won their own division twice since then. My guess is the coaching staff had specific things they were looking for. If it translates to the regular season and the offense is still looking lethargic I will gladly admit I was wrong. Unfortunately the team will probably be awful if that’s the case.

On 8/15/2022 at 12:22 PM, Bolt Colt said:

What a load of coachspeak nonsense, but what did people expect him to say? "Yeah our WRs not named Pittman look like crap. If only Ballard had given this more attention in the off season. I hope Taylor doesn't mind 500 carries this year." 

14 hours ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

where can you access coach's film?  We wanted it through NFL+ but it wasn't available for pre season

13 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I know right.  You’d almost think his job was to coach guys up and get them to believe in themselves so they can perform their best.  The nerve of that man!  Who does he think he is a pro football coach?

I was going to comment on the post you made this comment about, but didn't think I could have done it more professionally than you did. 

Thanks! 

1 hour ago, jonjon said:

What a load of coachspeak nonsense, but what did people expect him to say? "Yeah our WRs not named Pittman look like crap. If only Ballard had given this more attention in the off season. I hope Taylor doesn't mind 500 carries this year." 

Pittman, Campbell, Pierce, Dulin, Strachan, Coutee and Patmon.   I am good with this and excited to see the growth continue.  

Archived