Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Preseason means nothing

Bert Johns

5 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I don’t disagree. Well mostly. I’ll just add that the reason I am concerned, not panicked, about how we looked was the fact our heavily invested OL looked like total garbage against 2nd and 3rd stringers.

now, I realize we have two new faces to the OL and things take a minute to Gel there, but all three of our returning starters looked like rookies on ice skates, which is why I’m concerned, not panicked.  Hopefully they’ll work out the kinks in the next couple of weeks.  

Well said to point out the difference between the two. I feel like some people are confusing any criticism as panic.  So far I have only seen one poster who has already announced that the sky is falling and we will surely have a horrible year based off of this first preseason game (which is silly of course).  Most posters appear to be writing their concerns with what they saw on the field, that’s it.  Which is something I thought the point of this whole forum was for.  I honestly don’t see the masses calling for people to be fired and referring to every player as trash based off of this game, as some have said is now happening.  But maybe there are posts I am missing? :dunno: Feel like I’ve read through all the threads about this game because I enjoy hearing everyone’s thoughts.

I know there are a lot of veteran posters on here and some probably have the names memorized of the ones that they are used to being skeptical, maybe you guys are already bracing yourselves haha. But while I appreciate the positivity on this forum, I do not believe that every criticism made about a preseason game (and yes, we know… obviously the W/L doesn’t matter) should be synonymous with negativity or panic.

55 minutes ago, DEColtsLover36 said:

Well said to point out the difference between the two. I feel like some people are confusing any criticism as panic.  So far I have only seen one poster who has already announced that the sky is falling and we will surely have a horrible year based off of this first preseason game (which is silly of course).  Most posters appear to be writing their concerns with what they saw on the field, that’s it.  Which is something I thought the point of this whole forum was for.  I honestly don’t see the masses calling for people to be fired and referring to every player as trash based off of this game, as some have said is now happening.  But maybe there are posts I am missing? :dunno: Feel like I’ve read through all the threads about this game because I enjoy hearing everyone’s thoughts.

I know there are a lot of veteran posters on here and some probably have the names memorized of the ones that they are used to being skeptical, maybe you guys are already bracing yourselves haha. But while I appreciate the positivity on this forum, I do not believe that every criticism made about a preseason game (and yes, we know… obviously the W/L doesn’t matter) should be synonymous with negativity or panic.

Having criticism is necessary to discussion, and perfectly natural. I can understand why many are concerned after our 1st team offense failed Saturday. No qualms there. But there are those who write the season off before it even begins, which just confuses me. Context is very important when trying to understand why something happens. 

There's a difference in saying "The offense didn't do well tonight, I hope they can figure things out" compared to "The offense didn't do well tonight, and they're going to struggle all season". 

21 hours ago, Mackrel829 said:

Pre-season results mean nothing. I couldn't care less if we go 3-0 or 0-3. 

What actually happens on the field isn't meaningless though. It means a lot less than it does during the regular season but it's not like there is absolutely no point to preseason games.

I thought there was some good and some bad last night. Some people flashed, others didnt. I'm just excited football is back!

Exactly. Some positives and some negatives out there. The offense looked pedestrian, but our best offensive weapon didn’t play and it was obvious the play calling was ultra conservative. Still great to see no injuries and see the team back on the field though.

Archived